• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarmaCow

Drkirby said:
I personally think that is false information.

I know I've got more than 12 items total when idling and apparently Robin Walker confirmed it in an email. AFAIK, you can't get crates after you reached your cap though.

Wallach

Kuro Madoushi said:
yup
amidst all the trolling

Forgot to tell you guys I got my "meet the medic" lithograph. It's smaller than I thought it would be. And I'm going to get it framed and then take some pics and post

YOU GAIZ JELLY?! D:

I got my RED/BLU coffee mug yesterday. It is awesome. Also, huge.

Zomba13

Just uploaded a pic on imgur and saw this on the main page thing:
bDQOP.jpg

:D

thefil

Wow at Degroot Keep on the server last night. I know it's just a derp map, but with the Eyelander and original Targe I somehow racked up 15 heads and squashed my old demo record. Stayed alive with 100% luck and 0% brains.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Damnit Valve screwed up textmode for me. The memory usage went from 250ish to 800+.

Grinchy

Banned
Got The Concheror as a drop. I see that the Vintage version of this item goes for a lot. I assume the regular yellow text version goes for nothing?

yeoz

Kuro Madoushi said:
I thought Steam Guard was supposed to protect against all this? I wonder if there isn't more to the story...
This is as good a place as any to announce this. The Steam Guard "must have access to one time password via email" authentication functionality doesn't actually work. It's trivially bypassable. With some 'clever hackery' you can get steam to think that steam guard is not available, and it'll let you right in: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17563997/account-has-never-been-accessed-before-but-tf2-can-be-loaded-bypassing-steamguard.jpg. (Please do not relink or redistribute this screenshot. I figured this out while futzing with my idlers, while moving some f2p idlers to a different computer, and realized something odd was going on when I got that error message for the first time ever. I probably should send an email to valve or something.)

EmCeeGramr said:
Dude with like 370 hours, Steam Guard enabled, strong password, got his account hacked and his backpack cleared of anything tradeable, and his account was VAC banned. :(
Getting vac banned will cause all your tf2 items to be taken away from you. So it's possible the missing items are the result of getting vac banned (inappropriately or not) and not necessarily the result of getting hacked.

Proven

XeroSauce said:
Thundermountain was intense tonight.
Yes. I'm glad I got to play, although I was trying to not play Medic at all that night and you guys made me go Medic. I was playing earlier with some friends and was just feeling off all night because of them.
SteveWinwood said:
It also made everyone leave.
That could be more because of the fact that it was past 1AM EST. That was my reason at least.
yeoz said:
This is as good a place as any to announce this. The Steam Guard "must have access to one time password via email" authentication functionality doesn't actually work. It's trivially bypassable. With some network manipulation you can get steam to think the steam guard server is not available, and it'll let you right in:
Dude, this is NeoGAF. Community forums are viewable by the public and god knows how many people lurk here.

Zomba13

Iadien said:
Damnit Valve screwed up textmode for me. The memory usage went from 250ish to 800+.
I noticed a jump in my mem usage too. I tried to launch a game and was told I was low on memory (which has never happened before) and noticed TF2 was using quite a bit more in text mode than it should.

balladofwindfishes said:
Water Logged labcoat looks amazing on any hat.

Wow
http://wiki.teamfortress.com/w/images/thumb/9/9b/Painted_Tough_Guy%27s_Toque_839FA3.png/664px-Painted_Tough_Guy%27s_Toque_839FA3.png[IMG]

[IMG]http://wiki.teamfortress.com/w/images/thumb/a/a1/Painted_Officer%27s_Ushanka_A89A8C.png/800px-Painted_Officer%27s_Ushanka_A89A8C.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
Yeah it does. I've not had any yet but been looking at hats on the wiki and through the store and seeing how nice they look painted that colour.

Yeef

I don't know what Valve did, but for some reason 1 of my accounts got all its drops (including 2 summer crates) and another got 0.

Drkirby said:
Did you fix the Capture the Flag bug where it doesn't let you finish voting for the next map before changing?
Should have been fixed with the latest UMC update. That said, I didn't get a chance to test it.

Blizzard said:
Yay, I got a summer crate. Also, dustbowl showed up for once and one team didn't even get to attack. :(
You're right. Dustbowl should be removed altogether. (I'll look into it).

(._.) said:
add cp_snakewater please. I have never played it on a normal map rotation.
I will consider it.

Zomba13 said:
Just uploaded a pic on imgur and saw this on the main page thing:
http://i.imgur.com/bDQOP.jpg[IMG]
:D[/QUOTE]That is the most adorable thing ever.

yeoz

Yeef said:
I don't know what Valve did, but for some reason 1 of my accounts got all its drops (including 2 summer crates) and another got 0.
Whenever that happens, just restart the idler. Sometimes they just lose connection to steam for whatever reason. It happens fairly often to me, and I need to restart two or three everytime I idle.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Yeef said:

I idle'd from 9pm est to 8am est. 0 drops.

derFeef

Okay I just read up on this textmode idle thing and the alt-account. Can't Valve just track the items if you give it to your main account and remove it? Not that I will ever do it, but it just sounds unsafe and a bad idea in the first place.

Yeef

derFeef said:
Okay I just read up on this textmode idle thing and the alt-account. Can't Valve just track the items if you give it to your main account and remove it? Not that I will ever do it, but it just sounds unsafe and a bad idea in the first place.
Valve is perfectly aware of idling and has been for some time and it's not against their policy. In the past you needed a third party program to idle or to be connected to an actual server. Then they patched it so that you can just use the TF2 client in text mode and/or offline practice. Robin is on the record as saying that idlers will never be banned.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Not sure why they would, nothing wrong with having more than one Steam account or idling.

derFeef

Yeef said:
Valve is perfectly aware of idling and has been for some time and it's not against their policy. In the past you needed a third party program to idle or to be connected to an actual server. Then they patched it so that you can just use the TF2 client in text mode and/or offline practice. Robin is on the record as saying that idlers will never be banned.
Banning would be too harsh, I agree. I am just not sure how reliable this whole thing is. I am just getting into TF2 again and like I said - I played this game almost 600 hours already, but had never luck with hats (got only 2 vintages) or other things I wanted. If you say it is a fair and safe method to push your luck a bit, then I am fine with it.

Baha

Ikuu said:
Not sure why they would, nothing wrong with having more than one Steam account or idling.

Pretty much, people have paid and will continue to pay if they want extra idle accounts so it's not like Valve will say no to free money.

[EDIT]Someone actually asked Robin about idling accounts, here's his reply:

robinwalkeremail.png

Zomba13

Been idling for a while on both my accounts. Got 2 coolers on my main and 1 on my alt along with 3 crate 19s so far. Got a Quick-Fix and Disciplinary Action drop that I needed so that's good. Not had a drop for a while now though so I think I'm done? Had 6 weps and 2 crates on my alt and not had a weapon drop in around 2 hours I think.

Baha

Zomba13 said:
Been idling for a while on both my accounts. Got 2 coolers on my main and 1 on my alt along with 3 crate 19s so far. Got a Quick-Fix and Disciplinary Action drop that I needed so that's good. Not had a drop for a while now though so I think I'm done? Had 6 weps and 2 crates on my alt and not had a weapon drop in around 2 hours I think.

Did you lose connection to steam? Drops aren't guaranteed to happen every 15-20 mins so 2 hours w/o a drop isn't uncommon.

webrunner

do crates count as your 'drop' for the 30-70 mins? I've ben idling for 3 hours on my account and just got two weaps and a crate.. in comparison in about 4:30 another account has 3 crates, three weapons, and a name tag.

webrunner said:
do crates count as your 'drop' for the 30-70 mins? I've ben idling for 3 hours on my account and just got two weaps and a crate.. in comparison in about 4:30 another account has 3 crates, three weapons, and a name tag.

I think crates do not count against your drop but once you hit your cap, you can't get anymore crates.

But Valve definitely tinkered with the drop system since the update so who knows.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
webrunner said:
Crates work on a different timer, so you didn't lose out on any item drops by getting crates instead.

The Judge

Well, I'm just going to introduce myself here since I've been playing on the server for the last few days... I suck at it though, I admit. I'm vic1013

I was planning to buy the game (orange box) at summer sales but Valve ended up being nice enough to make it F2P. Still ended up buying some hat though to activate the premium account. :(

Fun times in this server!

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Yeef said:
Free players should now have a * in front of their names. This is purely satiate my own curiosity and I'll likely remove it eventually.

You know the Nazis had pieces of flair... that they made the Jews wear.

yeoz

I made this suggestion to
[REDACTED]
but a cheap way to unlock f2p to premium is to wait until there is a game you want to buy (like during the steam summer sale) add cost-of-game plus 49 cents or so to the steam wallet of your f2p account, and then gift the game-you-want to your regular account. Use the remaining 49 cents to buy the rocket jumper or something, and that'll unlock your f2p account. You could add 99 cents instead if you want something else and not yet another RJ/SJ.

Also, if you need to add yourself to the friends list on your f2p account, send the invite to the f2p account from your regular account instead of doing it the other way around. Steam normally requires you to purchase a game before you can add friends, but, sending the friend request from a regular account to your f2p account will work fine (where you can accept from community -> invites).

Uh-oh... more people on SPUF, Reddit, and SA are reporting cleared backpacks and VAC bans... including VAC bans on the fucking Steamworks version of Spacewar, a non publicly released demo meant to show off Steamworks support.

It might not be hackers. It might be whatever they've done to VAC to stop F2P abuse is now throwing up tons of false positives and wiping backpacks of mostly everything.

EmCeeGramr said:
Uh-oh... more people on SPUF, Reddit, and SA are reporting cleared backpacks and VAC bans... including VAC bans on the fucking Steamworks version of Spacewar, a non publicly released demo meant to show off Steamworks support.

It might not be hackers. It might be whatever they've done to VAC to stop F2P abuse is now throwing up tons of false positives and wiping backpacks of mostly everything.
what kind of F2P abuse is going on, exactly?

yeoz

EmCeeGramr said:

Yeah, I definitely think this is the case. It's more likely that vac bans are causing item backpacks to be cleared out than the nebulous "hackers" that everyone loves to blame.

Baha

yeoz said:
Yeah, I definitely think this is the case. It's more likely that vac bans are causing item backpacks to be cleared out than the nebulous "hackers" that everyone loves to blame.

Time to start bookmarking tf2items.com with your backpack so at least you have a history of your backpack in case something happens.

yeoz

Dreams-Visions said:
Does this "golden ticket" count against my item drops? If so, I'm gonna be pissed.
Golden ticket? Waah? The riftwalker item? If it's that, that's achievement based and does not count towards your drops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom