• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

yeoz

Baha said:
The TF2 shades aren't available for redemption atm (neither are the Killing Floor dlc or Serious Sam HD stuff) which means we'll have to wait for an update this evening.
The Spacechem DLC is though! There was an update for it earlier! I just need to go home and grind achievements though ;___;

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
EmCeeGramr said:
Well that was weird. Joined the GAF server, it was on Harvest... and there were these strange people with high pings in there playing around taunt killing. Well, whatever. I play along and taunt kill. Anyway, the worst one sounds like he's 12 years old, and keeps giggling like a moron and screaming every time he dies.

Eventually somebody on the other team shoots me, and I shoot him back. Suddenly this little kid is pissed and starts saying that he's gonna kick me (looooool) and someone on the other team who has no idea what's going on is just going "uhhhh kick this guy he's killing people."

Long story short I started playing for real and they kept whining about how they would "kick me" until I pointed out that I played on this server all the time and had no idea who they were and why they were acting like they owned it, at which point they quickly quit
Ownage.

Can't wait to get some drops tonight!
BTW F2P players make me seem like a great spy I love it! :D

Until I go on the gaf server and find out it's all a lie! ;(

So since I can't see the Valve store at the moment:

Are the achievement things we can do valid through tomorrow when the store resets for the next day of sales? Is it two days like the Treasure Hunt last year? Just curious.

Acerac

Banned
Picked up my bonus account for a dollar, and got some shades on my main account as a bonus. Awesome.

How does one run the game in text mode to get the item drops? As others have said, it seems annoying to split up the play time between 2 accounts.

Wallach

NihonTiger90 said:
So since I can't see the Valve store at the moment:

Are the achievement things we can do valid through tomorrow when the store resets for the next day of sales? Is it two days like the Treasure Hunt last year? Just curious.

I'm pretty sure during the Treasure Hunt you could get credit for them up until the promo actually ended. Either way, you can get tickets for these throughout the summer sale, not just the day they are unlocked.

Forkball

I don't think Valve will give us a free key this time. Last time they did because it was Christmas, but you get jack in summertime. JACK.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I think I will come burn all your buttholes tonight :D I really need to play this more. I played it pretty hardcore up til about the scout update

Clydefrog

To those of you who have alternate accounts:

first of all, i don't like you. secondly, how do you transfer items from the alt to the main account? do you just trade alt -> friend -> main?

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Acerac said:
Picked up my bonus account for a dollar, and got some shades on my main account as a bonus. Awesome.

How does one run the game in text mode to get the item drops? As others have said, it seems annoying to split up the play time between 2 accounts.

Make a new shortcut and have this at the target: I:\Steam\Steam.exe -applaunch 440 -textmode -nosound -nopix -novid -nopreload -sw +map ctf_2fort

Obviously change the Steam directory.

Clydefrog said:

first of all, i don't like you. secondly, how do you transfer items from the alt to the main account? do you just trade alt -> friend -> main?

Probably would be easiest.

Yeef

Clydefrog said:

You use a sandboxing program/virtual machine and just run both accounts at once from the same computer. It's pretty easy. I use Sandboxie, but that's mainly because it was the first thing Google found. I'm sure there's something better out there.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
EmCeeGramr said:
Well that was weird. Joined the GAF server, it was on Harvest... and there were these strange people with high pings in there playing around taunt killing. Well, whatever. I play along and taunt kill. Anyway, the worst one sounds like he's 12 years old, and keeps giggling like a moron and screaming every time he dies.

Eventually somebody on the other team shoots me, and I shoot him back. Suddenly this little kid is pissed and starts saying that he's gonna kick me (looooool) and someone on the other team who has no idea what's going on is just going "uhhhh kick this guy he's killing people."

Long story short I started playing for real and they kept whining about how they would "kick me" until I pointed out that I played on this server all the time and had no idea who they were and why they were acting like they owned it, at which point they quickly quit.

I just popped in there and noticed like 3 people in it. I don't know if they were the same kids or not. But it was pretty obvious that at least one of them was F2P, because they were working on achievements and they mentioned something about having certain features not available to them. I didn't see any stars.

Acerac

Banned
Ikuu said:
Make a new shortcut and have this at the target: I:\Steam\Steam.exe -applaunch 440 -textmode -nosound -nopix -novid -nopreload -sw +map ctf_2fort

Obviously change the Steam directory.
I think I have it going. I suppose I just let it go at this point whenever I go to work or whatever.

Thanks. ^^

Milly79

Anyone else run it on a Mac? Currently trying it out due to F2P.

2.4 dual core
2 gb of ram
Nvidia 9400 or something along those lines.

All the graphics are on the lowest setting. it's not unbearable to play, but it's not the best, either. Really sucks for frantic firefights, so I stick to the engineer class. Anything I can do to speed it up?

yeoz

Milly79 said:

2.4 dual core
2 gb of ram

All the graphics are on the lowest setting. it's not unbearable to play, but it's not the best, either. Really sucks for frantic firefights, so I stick to the engineer class. Anything I can do to speed it up?
My macbook has the same specs more or less. It's unplayable (compared to just running it on my PC).

Grinchy

Banned
Pookaki said:
Where do you guys go to see what an individual hat or item is worth?
I like using this google doc for trading values. It gets updated automatically and it seems to be very accurate.

You can't really just go by item prices on the store. For example, I had a Bloke's Bucket Hat for sniper. It's $6 in the store. I wanted a Crocleather Slouch, which is also $6 in the store, but I could never have done a 1:1 trade. For trading, the Slouch goes for way more than the Bloke. It's hard to know these things without that doc.

thefil

Milly79 said:

2.4 dual core
2 gb of ram

I have the same unit and I don't find it that bad. Lowest settings, native resolution.

Ikuu

Got another account for idling and gave my main the speks, better start getting some good drops. Spent far too much money on this game =(

snack

Anyone wanna refer me so I can have specks? I coached a half dozen people the past week and didn't get referred by any of them. PM me if you're interested in helping me out. Thanks!

desh

I got an extra reserver shooter and would like to trade it for another uber update weapon.

My name is MUJU on steam, add me if you want to make a trade.

I don't need Family Business, Liberty Launcher, Market Gardner, Splendid Screen, Persian Persuader, and Manntreads

snack said:
Anyone wanna refer me so I can have specks? I coached a half dozen people the past week and didn't get referred by any of them. PM me if you're interested in helping me out. Thanks!
I've had the same problem. :-(

lame.

I'll refer you if you do the same for me.

Ikuu

snack said:
If I buy TF2 on an alternate account, can I still refer someone to give the specks away?
Yes, add them to your Friends List and then choose them.

Baha

snack said:
If I buy TF2 on an alternate account, can I still refer someone to give the specks away?

If you upgrade a f2p tf2 account, you can gift the speks to somebody on your friends list. Somebody like the person who made the f2p alt account....

Weenerz

Banned
I hope the impending TF2 patch that adds the Summer Shades also includes the keys, I'd like to have my heart broken when I don't get an unusual.

EmCeeGramr said:

Long story short I started playing for real and they kept whining about how they would "kick me" until I pointed out that I played on this server all the time and had no idea who they were and why they were acting like they owned it, at which point they quickly quit.
Well the password has been out in the open. Do you think it should be changed?

Grinchy

Banned
Weenerz said:
I hope the impending TF2 patch that adds the Summer Shades also includes the keys, I'd like to have my heart broken when I don't get an unusual.
lol!

I know....I can't wait to open mine either. I have become a bit of a crate-whore, although I'm still under 10 keys purchased. I'm at least proud of that. I'm also only up to like $20 spent on TF2 total so far. Not bad!

One night I bought 4 keys and got 4 paints. I was unsatisfied.

Well that was a terrible night.

1) The Persian Persuader/new shield can crit from any distance charge and has an ungodly range
2) Class balance was even more out of wack than usual
3) I got hit by a crit or spammed stickies every time I turned a corner
4) The jank was awful
5) My PC crashed upon exiting

At least I found a Soda Popper (and discovered that even when I hit a Medic dead on with a minicrit meatshot it doesn't register and never will)

DarkKyo

Grimm Fandango said:
Yeah frankly if these kids are playing during our golden time, we should bring back a password.
Agreed. We shouldn't have to wait in line behind people who aren't even from GAF :(

Acerac

Banned
One last question since everyone has been so helpful here.

Is there any easy way to transfer items between accounts? My new account just got a liberty launcher I'd like on my main and my main has a few extras I want to toss this account just in case i feel like messing around on it.

I suppose I could download tf2 on my laptop, but it'd be nice if there was some less cumbersome way.

Thanks again for all the advice guys. $1 for shades on my main, double drops weekly, and a free hat for my alt account? Was an easy sell. Quick tip for those considering the same, use the leftover money from the account to gift a game to your main account. That way you don't need to worry about having one "stranded" game so as to not waste money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom