• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baha

Dreams-Visions said:
Does this "golden ticket" count against my item drops? If so, I'm gonna be pissed.

No, the golden ticket is tied to an achievement and doesn't drop.

Strange weapon collection complete! Traded one of my extra Solemn Vows for a Strange Natascha :D

XeroSauce

Zomba13 said:
Just uploaded a pic on imgur and saw this on the main page thing:
[IMG.]http://i.imgur.com/bDQOP.jpg[/IMG]
:D

Man, I wish my wife and me will still be nerdy enough to do that when kids happen.

Well like any other regular Thursday morning, I launched my extra idling account to collect some fresh loot, and I was greeted with a big VAC BANNING, first things first, I don't cheat, never have, never will, second, I barely use this account, I only use it for idling on a mac since text mode is not available on macs.
I went to the official steam forums and low and behold there were tons of people complaining that they just god VAC banned, it seems that valve did a ban wave based on some false positive or something, well, I sent a ticket to custom support without much hope, but it turned out valve corrected their mistake quickly and I was unbanned in matter of hours as well as the people complaining on the forums.
now back to idding, feels good man...

Blizzard

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
Uh-oh... more people on SPUF, Reddit, and SA are reporting cleared backpacks and VAC bans... including VAC bans on the fucking Steamworks version of Spacewar, a non publicly released demo meant to show off Steamworks support.

It might not be hackers. It might be whatever they've done to VAC to stop F2P abuse is now throwing up tons of false positives and wiping backpacks of mostly everything.
I've been waiting a long time for something to go wrong with VAC and draw major attention to it (aside from the semi-mass VAC bannings back with Blackops or whatever, where Valve apologized after the fact). Sounds like this might almost be it, but it's presumably not happening to enough people to matter. I am especially interested in whether they reverse any bans. Side note about that Spacewar game, I went into the config files and turned Steam/VAC interaction for the UDK since I was afraid of something stupid like that.

Totally did not do some text mode idling last night...

Got my first official hat drop..."A Rather Festive Tree"...I'm not even sure if it's worth anything considering it's from the Christmas update.

Baha

GruntOfAction said:
Totally did not do some text mode idling last night...

Got my first official hat drop..."A Rather Festive Tree"...I'm not even sure if it's worth anything considering it's from the Christmas update.

Well it's an all class hat but it's not one of the popular ones. You shouldn't have trouble trading it though, just don't expect too much.

Blizzard said:
I've been waiting a long time for something to go wrong with VAC and draw major attention to it (aside from the semi-mass VAC bannings back with Blackops or whatever, where Valve apologized after the fact). Sounds like this might almost be it, but it's presumably not happening to enough people to matter. I am especially interested in whether they reverse any bans. Side note about that Spacewar game, I went into the config files and turned Steam/VAC interaction for the UDK since I was afraid of something stupid like that.
People are already getting unbanned after putting in tickets.

Pookaki said:
Where do you guys go to see what an individual hat or item is worth?

I just got a strange direct hit and I am wondering what I should ask for it.
I assume "value" is a function of (a) the price in the Mann Co. Store + (b) the general rarity of a hat.

I'm sure there are websites dedicated to figuring out what % of the community has a particular hat.

edit: here you go! http://tf2stats.net/hats/

As for trading weapons for hats...since it's not an apples-apples proposition, I really don't know how that works out. I suppose you can simply go to a trading server and tell people you'd like to trade a strange direct hit for hats and see what people are offering. If you like a hat(s) and/or find what is being offered sufficiently rare (or in enough volume to compensate for lack of rarity), go for it.

(all commentary is from a complete n00b, but this is based on how typical free markets work. I assume it applies here too.)

Acerac

Banned
Man, there seem to be a lot of people who enjoy idling.

Do you guys not play the game much? Or do you just only play on your mains, and leave your alts for loot? I know I'm usually done with my drops on my main account fairly quickly, though I suppose if you've got alts for soaking up drops that'd make a lot of sense.

Not trying to hate, I'm more curious than anything. I like to see my drops come as I play, but I could see that being annoying with a bunch of accounts.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Acerac said:

Do you guys not play the game much? Or do you just only play on your mains, and leave your alts for loot? I know I'm usually done with my drops on my main account fairly quickly, though I suppose if you've got alts for soaking up drops that'd make a lot of sense.

Not trying to hate, I'm more curious than anything. I like to see my drops come as I play, but I could see that being annoying with a bunch of accounts.
I do the "play on main, let alt idle for loot" thing. I don't want my stats screwed up, but having extra items means I never have to actually deal to much with the TF2 trading economy.

Acerac

Banned
Drkirby said:
I do the "play on main, let alt idle for loot" thing. I don't want my stats screwed up, but having extra items means I never have to actually deal to much with the TF2 trading economy.
That's what I was thinking. I might do something similar the next time there is a game on steam I want to pick up. Usually it'd seem odd to me, but 50 cents is not really a lot of money for another account...

Forkball

The Steam Summer Sale has a prize booth, where you cash in tickets you earn via achievements and buy in game stuff. There are TF2 shades you can get for three tickets.

Blizzard

Banned
Sgt.Pepper said:
So who is going to use their tickets for the shades instead of other games?
It looks like most or all of the prizes are DLC, not full games, so you're just getting one piece of DLC instead of another.

Weenerz

Banned
Sgt.Pepper said:
So wait, are the shades today only? Since it says new deals everyday in the prize booth page.

^^

If that's true, I don't see anything else in that list for today that I would want to waste my tickets for.

Sgt.Pepper said:
So wait, are the shades today only? Since it says new deals everyday in the prize booth page.

I'm going to assume no. Looks to me that the booth stays constant or at least new ones will be added daily. Don't see anything about "today only" for the prizes.

yeoz

I assume I'll have enough tickets at the end to get all the DLCs I want for all the games I own. I mostly want the spacechem DLC, and when I get that, it'll be a few days away from tf2 for me :)

Angry Fork

What glasses and ticket stuff are you guys talking about? I played this weekend and got some rift ticket thing but I don't know if that's what you're talking about. I'm playing tonight but haven't in the last few days so I haven't kept up on new items.

Dakota47

Acerac said:

TIL people have alt accounts for TF2.

Angry Fork said:
What glasses and ticket stuff are you guys talking about? I played this weekend and got some rift ticket thing but I don't know if that's what you're talking about. I'm playing tonight but haven't in the last few days so I haven't kept up on new items.
check here:

http://store.steampowered.com/summersale/prizebooth/

these are the prized (DLC) you can redeem with the tickets won by competing activities, the is a pair of glasses for TF2 among them

DarkKyo

Angry Fork said:
Go to the steam store and check out the tickets and prizes, it's all described there.

I hope the glasses have paintable rims!

Angry Fork

So for every activity you do in one of the games listed you get a ticket? And then you use 3 tickets to get the glasses? What if you don't have any of those games =( The sunglasses can't be crafted? There's a lot more days for the sale though so maybe something will come up for a game that I own.

yeoz

enzo_gt said:
The prize shop mentions hats but there are none for TF2 up there :(
There are hats,
just not for tf2

Angry Fork said:
So for every activity you do in one of the games listed you get a ticket? And then you use 3 tickets to get the glasses? What if you don't have any of those games =( The sunglasses can't be crafted? There's a lot more days for the sale though so maybe something will come up for a game that I own.
Usually there are ways to get free tickets. Like today's free ticket is to join a steam group. Last time around for the treasure hunt promotion, there was stuff like posting a comment to a friend's profile, or writing a game recommendation, to get free tickets. I expect this time around to be the same.

Weenerz said:
Wtf is our cooler keys, I have 6 coolers that need to opened!

Haha, first thing I thought of when the sale went up. I didn't even care too much about the sale I just wanted information on where I could get a key.

Damnit. Look at what this game has done to me.

Yeef

Borgnine said:
You know the Nazis had pieces of flair... that they made the Jews wear.
Well, they should give them back. Maybe then the detonator will work again!
Acerac said:

I mainly idle because I already had the 2 extra accounts and i hate not being able to get new weapons when they're first released. Thanks to my extra accounts I had all but 2 of the weapons from the uber update within a few hours of it launching. Got the two I was missing within the next two days. I rarely idle on my main account unless I know I won't be able to play much that week or it's a double drop week.

Well that was weird. Joined the GAF server, it was on Harvest... and there were these strange people with high pings in there playing around taunt killing. Well, whatever. I play along and taunt kill. Anyway, the worst one sounds like he's 12 years old, and keeps giggling like a moron and screaming every time he dies.

Eventually somebody on the other team shoots me, and I shoot him back. Suddenly this little kid is pissed and starts saying that he's gonna kick me (looooool) and someone on the other team who has no idea what's going on is just going "uhhhh kick this guy he's killing people."

Long story short I started playing for real and they kept whining about how they would "kick me" until I pointed out that I played on this server all the time and had no idea who they were and why they were acting like they owned it, at which point they quickly quit.

Yeef

EmCeeGramr said:
Well that was weird. Joined the GAF server, it was on Harvest... and there were these strange people with high pings in there playing around taunt killing. Well, whatever. I play along and taunt kill. Anyway, the worst one sounds like he's 12 years old, and keeps giggling like a moron and screaming every time he dies.

Eventually somebody on the other team shoots me, and I shoot him back. Suddenly this little kid is pissed and starts saying that he's gonna kick me (looooool) and someone on the other team who has no idea what's going on is just going "uhhhh kick this guy he's killing people."

Long story short I started playing for real and they kept whining about how they would "kick me" until I pointed out that I played on this server all the time and had no idea who they were and why they were acting like they owned it, at which point they quickly quit.
Haha.

Did they have stars in front of their names?

I kinda wish I or another admin had been there. I'd just start freezing them and beaconing them and other fun things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom