• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
ArtistDude88 said:
I can understand there are lots of new people learning the game these days, but when I tell a Medic how to use his ubercharge several times and still never uses it, fucking makes me rage. Opposite team only had 2 sentries and I was a Demo... We lost because he died at least 8 times with 100% uber.
I, too, know the pain of screaming into the mic. "Uber, I mean right click, right click, right click, it'll make you invincible, FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY PLEASE RIGHT CLICK NOOOOOOOOO" *crit stickies everywhere*

Zomba13 said:
I've been getting my friends who had TF2 with the Orange box but don't play/enjoy it to give me some of their hats and weps they aren't using and I've been turning the rubbish into metal or rebuilding doubles into other hats and stock piling all the bills.
Not found a friend with a max head though =/
That'd be the jackpot. Someone who doesn't like TF2, likes me and doesn't care about hats or hat economy and is willing to give me their sweet sweet rabbit head.

Also this summer sale I spent WAY too much on keys (and ended up with nothing worth mentioning a hat, some paint and strange weps (and summer stuff). Not worth it at all. Not too annoyed though as I love Valve and TF2 and I guess my worthless key purchases go towards improving TF2.
I had the rabbit head and I took maybe a year off of tf2. In that year this ridiculous around hats appeared and people would randomly friend me and literally beg for maxs head. I thought it was just trolls and I ignored them. When I thought I might get back in again I was sad that I was behind on scout weapons (my favorite class). Somebody then said "ill give you anything and everything for that maxs head" so I got all the scout stuff I was missing for it ( this was right after the milkman set so I got that hat and whatnot) only later did I find out how much that hat was worth. Good thing I don't really care about made up value on non tangible objects :)

Rapstah

SteveWinwood said:
I had the rabbit head and I took maybe a year off of tf2. In that year this ridiculous around hats appeared and people would randomly friend me and literally beg for maxs head. I thought it was just trolls and I ignored them. When I thought I might get back in again I was sad that I was behind on scout weapons (my favorite class). Somebody then said "ill give you anything and everything for that maxs head" so I got all the scout stuff I was missing for it ( this was right after the milkman set so I got that hat and whatnot) only later did I find out how much that hat was worth. Good thing I don't really care about made up value on non tangible objects :)
You say that now, but you could probably get every single item in the game together (no hats) for a single Max head.

DarkKyo

SteveWinwood said:
Wow.. that guy got lucky. He traded you items worth zero value for something that people would actually pay real life dollars for.

Rapstah said:
You say that now, but you could probably get every single item in the game together (no hats) for a single Max head.
Right now a lot of the fun for me is trying to get a lot of the items I've been missing so that would kill a lot of that. And I would feel bad if someone paid me real money for a video game hat. Shits not worth anything people!

DarkKyo

SteveWinwood said:
Right now a lot of the fun for me is trying to get a lot of the items I've been missing so that would kill a lot of that. And I would feel bad if someone paid me real money for a video game hat. Shits not worth anything people!
What something is worth is completely subjective.
What makes something worth anything? People place a value on it. Even if you wouldn't sell it to anyone for cash you could have at least traded it here. People here would have given you knowledge on what its worth and probably an ass-load of hats equivalent to or close to the worth of the Max's Head+those scout items you wanted.

I don't have much interest in a Max Head, I just feel bad when noobs get ripped off.

The concept of reasonableness applies to subjectivity.

Edit: A broader point, I think a lot of people pay far too much attention to the "worth" of an item.

DarkKyo

Heavy's Sandvich said:
The concept of reasonableness applies to subjectivity.

Edit: A broader point, I think a lot of people pay far too much attention to the "worth" of an item.
I honestly don't really care how much something is worth in the game. However, when there is something I want(like an unusual, or some cool hat), I need to know how to play the TF2 economy game to get that object that I desire. It's good to know even if you don't plan to be a hat-hoarding mega-trader.

Blizzard

Banned
Heavy's Sandvich said:
I pay some attention to it since new item recipes are getting ridiculous (I still don't have most soldier stuff since they require refined or reclaimed metal), but in general I try to go with what I like. Item for item trades, maybe newer item/summer crate for scrap since they're more valuable, and hat for hat. I've exchanged say, pyro hats before. The hat I gave away might have been worth MORE than the hat I got! But, I liked the newer hat better, so I didn't really care.

I don't really want unusuals, Max heads, Bill's hat, or earbuds, so that doesn't factor into it for me.

desh

It's called Supply and Demand. If you are unable to grasp this concept, then there is no hope of you ever understanding why people put value on anything.

Blizzard said:
I, too, know the pain of screaming into the mic. "Uber, I mean right click, right click, right click, it'll make you invincible, FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY PLEASE RIGHT CLICK NOOOOOOOOO" *crit stickies everywhere*

I think I was around when this happened to you. Feelsbadman.jpg

desh said:
It's called Supply and Demand. If you are unable to grasp this concept, then there is no hope of you ever understanding why people put value on anything.

An awful point in all honesty.

Grasping supply and demand (emboldened) still doesn't mitigate the fact that people care far too much for items which are purely intangible, cosmetic polygons.

Edit: I say this having some rare items.

I've also swapped things away for almost pittance as well. I was berated in this thread for swapping my buds away for a cheap price.

Heavy's Sandvich said:

Grasping supply and demand (emboldened) still doesn't mitigate the fact that people care far too much for items which are purely intangible, cosmetic polygons.

And yet that's more or less the entire business model which drives TF2 at this point...

Heavy's Sandvich said:

Edit: I say this having some rare items.

I've also swapped things away for almost pittance as well. I was berated in this thread for swapping my buds away for a cheap price.
As can be said about video gaming in general or any other inconsequential shit people pay for.

Of players paying exorbitant prices for things from each other?

I was under the impression you can satisfy your demand by paying £5-10 for things in the Mann Co. store.

Edit: To the point above, I don't think that's a particularly controversial statement to make.

This is in application to purely cosmetic things.

Heavy's Sandvich said:
Of players paying exorbitant prices for things from each other?

I was under the impression you can satisfy your demand by paying £5-10 for things in the Mann Co. store.
You can. I think the only difference between what you see in TF2 and say...clothing DLC in ______________ (pick an RPG or fighting game) is that Valve has created a way to trade and released some things in a very limited volume, creating a functional, simple economy. Some things just can't be purchased. And some that can be purchased can be had for less than they are sold for in the store by trading keys. And in the key-trading scenario, you retain the ability to trade said hat away later if you want to...where if you buy it, you can never trade it away again.

If SSFIV had limited run costumes and offered the ability to trade them, the same kind of sub-market would develop.

I'm not entirely certain you got the slight sarcasm in my post.

I fully appreciate the complexities of opening crates or promotional items which aren't available anywhere else (I have a backpack with many of them).

I simply wanted to state that the strict observance to the economy has become a great shame. By all means, being able to trade is fantastic. But I just wish people had a more relaxed attitude when it came to swapping items over rather than look at a spreadsheet.

Heavy's Sandvich said:

I fully appreciate the complexities of opening crates or promotional items which aren't available anywhere else (I have a backpack with many of them).

I simply wanted to state that the strict observance to the economy has become a great shame. By all means, being able to trade is fantastic. But I just wish people had a more relaxed attitude when it came to swapping items over rather than look at a spreadsheet.
Oh! I missed that yes. lol

And I agree, some people take this stuff too seriously. But I don't have a problem with people spending a few dollars on aesthetic stuff. Especially if they play the game a ton. Only hat that I want at this point is a Bills. I just like how it looks. I don't want to horde hats or anything else. Just would like 1 of the few hats I like. Unfortunately, I can't buy one at the Store for a couple of dollars, so I guess at some point I'll have to trade in keys.

Oh and when I think about the money I spent on Summer Cooler keys, I feel like a moron, as I could have gotten damn near all the hats I wanted with this same keys via trade.

Heavy's Sandvich said:
Let us find a bill for you, with the minimum of effort.

Are there any other hats you're wanting?
Ha okay. I think the chief hat looks pretty cool too, but that's only a couple of dollars anyway. Those would be the only 2.

That'd be really cool if we could find them. But I doubt it. People are serious about this stuff.

desh

Heavy's Sandvich said:

I agree, the spreadsheet is somewhat subjective, but there is a basis for it. There are certain hats that simply have a larger demand than others. More people want that Physician's Procedure Mask than that Hard Counter. Therefore the Procedure Mask is going to be valued higher than the Hard Counter by most people. This is where the perceived values of all the items comes in.

Then you have new items, where the supply is severely limited, thus it drives up the value of the new items.

Forkball

So do the crates expire 23:00 GMT? If so, that's about 6 EST. I guess we will get an update later tonight removing them. I JUST WANT TEAM SPIRIT FIXED.

Yeef

Forkball said:
So do the crates expire 23:00 GMT? If so, that's about 6 EST. I guess we will get an update later tonight removing them. I JUST WANT TEAM SPIRIT FIXED.
Hatless getting fixed is more important!

Pookaki said:
My friend let me borrow his Eternal Revenge. This thing is very, very fun.

Never really played spy before. I dig it.

<3 dumb medics
Damn beta-testers and their new weapons!

(It's Eternal Reward).

Also, toward the end ther eyou picked up a large ammo box and then immediately decloaked. You should have decloaked first then picked up the ammo box. Dead Ringer automatically knocks your cloak meter down to 60% when you decloak if it's higher than that.

Grinchy

Banned
ArtistDude88 said:
I can understand there are lots of new people learning the game these days, but when I tell a Medic how to use his ubercharge several times and still never uses it, fucking makes me rage. Opposite team only had 2 sentries and I was a Demo... We lost because he died at least 8 times with 100% uber.
That is insanely annoying. In defense of new people, though, I have had my voice chat turned off since I bought the game, and I can't be the only person who does this. So, if you were talking to him, maybe he didn't hear you? And if you were typing, new people also don't know you can change the filters on the text box. So, it's probably just constantly scrolling text that they never read.

Yeef said:
Also, toward the end ther eyou picked up a large ammo box and then immediately decloaked. You should have decloaked first then picked up the ammo box. Dead Ringer automatically knocks your cloak meter down to 60% when you decloak if it's higher than that.
Ah, thanks for the tip. That was the first time I played a full round as a spy.

Any tips on how to get your first backstab when using Dead Ringer? It's really tough to get that first kill without disguises or cloak.

I'm sure its just finding various ambush points in each of the maps. That will come with time I suppose.

Yeef

Pookaki said:
Ah, thanks for the tip. That was the first time I played a full round as a spy.

Any tips on how to get your first backstab when using Dead Ringer? It's really tough to get that first kill without disguises or cloak.

I'm sure its just finding various ambush points in each of the maps. That will come with time I suppose.
The Dead Ringer is the watch, which shouldn't compromise your ability to disguise. The Eternal Reward (the knife) is what keeps you from disguising. With the reward you generally want to exploit corners if you're behind enemy lines. That is, people tend to be easier to backstab when they're turning a corner because they're worried what might be in front of them.

It's also important to keep in mind that when you kill someone with the eternal reward it doesn't make any sound or show a kill notification for the other team. Which makes chain stabbing extremely easy.

I'm not good enough to use Your Eternal Rewards yet, so I'm sticking to the regular knife with DR. Most cases it works, but I will have to work on Your Eternal Rewards.

Cloudius12 said:
I'm not good enough to use Your Eternal Rewards yet, so I'm sticking to the regular knife with DR. Most cases it works, but I will have to work on Your Eternal Rewards.
It seems way easier to play spy with YER. My simple mind cant juggle disguise with all the rest of the spy abilities.

Grinchy

Banned
ArtistDude88 said:
I was typing because my mic has been broke'd :\

There's chat filters? What?
yeah you can click on the button with the word "filter" on it and what it does is change which text comes up in the text box.

Smithy C

I think the YER is way easier than the regular knife, just because you don't really have to think about disguises. I use it with the Dead Ringer too, and it seems like easy mode spy. I try to take fall damage at the beginning of the round to get invisible and get behind the other team then take a disguise.

A heads up, this Thursday night at 7PM EST, Giant Bomb will be doing their weekly community game night and this week it'll be TF2 (this is the third time they've done it).

The server is tf2.giantbomb.com, and if there's a bunch of free players on it this week combined with the usual skill level on that server... a bunch of GAF players could get in and...

Probably wasn't smart of me to click through that.

Is there some kind of Firefox plugin that shows you what the unshortened URL is when you hover over one of those tiny links? I hate how blind some of them are.

As for YER, people talk about it like it's godly, but I can never get it to work for myself. And of course, it really sucks if you see a Sentry, and there's nothing you can do about it until you pick off a target.

Ferrio

Banned
I'm finding YER is great on games where people suck, but once you play with people who know the game and communicate it isn't that great. They know who you've killed last so they know who you're disguised as, so anyone paying attention will gun you down. Where as regular disguise kit you can keep them guessing. Not to mention getting that first hit on a organized server is such a bitch, and the payoff is very little since they're good at keeping track who you are. The only time i really like i then is so you can backstab engineers without having to deal with the sentry first.

EmCeeGramr said:
A heads up, this Thursday night at 7PM EST, Giant Bomb will be doing their weekly community game night and this week it'll be TF2 (this is the third time they've done it).

The server is tf2.giantbomb.com, and if there's a bunch of free players on it this week combined with the usual skill level on that server... a bunch of GAF players could get in and...
:)

Pirabear

Banned
Played about 9 hours worth of TF2 within the span of 2 days, seems like I get the most successful kills from either Spy back stabs, or Demoman's area control. My aim is horrible for every other class. Not sure if I should feel proud or not.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
ArtistDude88 said:
I think I was around when this happened to you. Feelsbadman.jpg
I'm more incensed over new medics tending to only stick with heavies. What is this, 2007? I'M BURNING OVER HERE!

fallengorn said:
I'm more incensed over new medics tending to only stick with heavies. What is this, 2007? I'M BURNING OVER HERE!
Uh, but haven't you seen any of the funny videos or Gmod screenshots or fan art? The medic should only heal Heavy Weapons Guy, the official Team Leader.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom