• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acerac

Banned
Hurray, finally got it to work 3 hours later with a new card/brand new account.

My one purchase for the account was a key. I feel so fucking dirty.

Bah, Valve probably deserves it.

Are all the weapon drops in new crates strange? Or are their certain crates with better odds than others? I'd like to get something neat out of this. :)

*Edit*

140 hours played so far on just my main account? Yeah these 10 or so dollars I've spent on TF2 have probably been worth the investment. In fact, fuck it. I might just go crazy and go for 1 key per new account I open.

I'm sure this isn't how people get started spending absurd amounts on keys, correct?

Bluth54

It does seem pretty fast for another major update, but we know Valve does have some stuff in the works, like the Junkyard Justice pack (from the STS leak and the F2P video), as well as new items for the Pyro/Medic (from the F2P video) and the 2 new modes (from the STS leak).

Maybe they want to get another big update out quickly to give F2P players who started after the Uber update a taste of the free content updates TF2 gets?

Grinchy

Banned
Acerac said:
H
140 hours played so far on just my main account? Yeah these 10 or so dollars I've spent on TF2 have probably been worth the investment. In fact, fuck it. I might just go crazy and go for 1 key per new account I open.

I'm sure this is how people get started spending absurd amounts on keys, correct?

LOL yep. I haven't spent absurd amounts, but I have purchased things from the mann co store specifically because I got the game for cheap. I had like 150 hours played for my initial $7 investment, so buying keys and paints was perfectly justifiable.

But then....the crates don't stop dropping. You've purchased your first keys. It's no longer a big deal. What's $5 to get 2 keys? That's nothing for a little bit of fun and maybe with some luck you'll get something good. Let's open 2 crates. Oh fuck..paints. Ok, $5 more. Let's open 2 more crates. Fuck, I don't want these stranges. $5 more. more more more

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Yeef said:
he was on java's server all the time. He only played Soldier back then.
ICANONLYPLAYSOLLYTIME?!

If you say so. I certainly don't remember...changed avatar?

This was during the n0bby, Twiggy, and Scizzy days with all the wacky pre round music?

Yeef

Kuro Madoushi said:
ICANONLYPLAYSOLLYTIME?!

This was during the n0bby, Twiggy, and Scizzy days with all the wacky pre round music?
Yup. I don't think he had an avatar at the time.

Bluth54 said:
It does seem pretty fast for another major update, but we know Valve does have some stuff in the works, like the Junkyard Justice pack (from the STS leak and the F2P video), as well as new items for the Pyro/Medic (from the F2P video) and the 2 new modes (from the STS leak).

Maybe they want to get another big update out quickly to give F2P players who started after the Uber update a taste of the free content updates TF2 gets?
pretty much.

yeoz

There are no words.
(TEAM) rawillkill : FUCKING RUSH THE THING JESUS
(TEAM) Yasae : I'M FUCKING TRYING, JESUS!
yeoz : wartime stop defending the cart and help us capppp
Milabrega : he won't get points easily that way
wartime : im mostly watching tv sry
wartime : mlb
yeoz : holy shit
yeoz : you're watching TV
yeoz : holy shit
yeoz : MIND BLOWN
yeoz : wartime plays tf2 while watching tv
yeoz : and gets shitloads of points anyway
yeoz : mind FUCKING BLOWN
Yasae : make him play pyro
wartime : in the 9th inning can almost play...
SteveWinwood : WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT
crusading.monkey : not over yet
SteveWinwood : THIS MAP NEEDS TO ENDDDDDD
yeoz : this is the map that never ends
yeoz : it just goes on and on my friends
Jangaroo : let them win dear god
wartime : god red sucks lol
sixghost : YESSSSSSSSSSS
SteveWinwood : fucking finally
wartime : fuck the yankees. lol
Crushed : fuck you all
(map changes)
wartime : 1 out left

That's the longest I've ever played a single match on the server. I guess I can see why a lot of you guys aren't partial to Hightower.

It was pretty ridiculous.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
EmCeeGramr said:
remove hightower from the rotation and if it ever comes up again ban anyone who builds a sentry or is wartime
Wartime isn't hard to deal with.
PLR maps just fucking suck.
I don't mind different maps to change things up, but fuck long ass stalemates.
And fuck the Yankees indeed.

Kuro Madoushi said:
ICANONLYPLAYSOLLYTIME?!

I started playing with GAF again after getting a new PC in the middle of last year. Before that I played from beta till early '08.

I only played soldier, and I was awful at rocket jumping.

http://www.abload.de/img/pl_hoodoo_final00361y1a.png

That image shows me with the same avatar, its on the second page of this thread (August 2010).

Yeef

enzo_gt said:
What are these custom blueprints?
Custom blueprints are for people who like the old crafting method better. Basically, you just put whatever you want in there and click craft and it will make whichever recipe it fits.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yeef said:
Custom blueprints are for people who like the old crafting method better. Basically, you just put whatever you want in there and click craft and it will make whichever recipe it fits.
Sounds like my kinda thing. Thanks!

BEST KOREA ELITIST BEST KOREA ELITIST BEST KOREA ELITIST BEST KOREA ELITIST BEST KOREA ELITIST BEST KOREA ELITIST BEST KOREA ELITIST BEST KOREA ELITIST BEST KOREA ELITIST BEST KOREA ELITIST

thefil

Great games. This server really makes me wish I didn't have three projects due in the next week. Who needs a university education when you have TF2.

Why do matches sometimes end suddenly? Just played a payload match where Blue won without even pushing the cart to the goal. Don't know what happened there.

Tkawsome said:
Why do matches sometimes end suddenly? Just played a payload match where Blue won without even pushing the cart to the goal. Don't know what happened there.
Did the map time run out and BLU have more points than RED?

Tkawsome said:
I'm not sure. I didn't know points were a factor though, the whole point is stopping the cart not getting the most kills.
No, I mean team points. On the scoreboard it should have a score for each of the teams at the top, and if the map time ends the team with the most points wins the match, in this case, the team that got to the most checkpoints throughout the map's time.

Blizzard

Banned
Kuro Madoushi said:
Wartime isn't hard to deal with.
PLR maps just fucking suck.
I don't mind different maps to change things up, but fuck long ass stalemates.
And fuck the Yankees indeed.
Was it another day with 40-minute hightower rounds? I'm glad I missed those. Honestly, what would be the problem if they just added something after 10-20 minutes that makes the carts start moving themselves towards the end point? I would think even a modder could do it. I think one of the new PLR maps does it.

Rickenslacker said:
No, I mean team points. On the scoreboard it should have a score for each of the teams at the top, and if the map time ends the team with the most points wins the match, in this case, the team that got to the most checkpoints throughout the map's time.

Oh okay. So it's saying we won the round but lost the whole match. Or something?

Tkawsome said:
Oh okay. So it's saying we won the round but lost the whole match. Or something?
If BLU won abruptly in the middle of a round and then the map switched, then yes. They had more team points than RED and the map ran out of time, declaring them the winner.

Yeef

Gunslinger engineer ruling Thunder Mountain. Too bad my team didn't realize that we could have gotten passed that point easily with a medic.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yeef said:
Gunslinger engineer ruling Thunder Mountain. Too bad my team didn't realize that we could have gotten passed that point easily with a medic.
Yeah that was dumb when I joined.

At least I got to use the KGB on Degroot.

Yeef

Also, I disabled the marks on free players. Out of 1025ish unique players we've had 230 or so free players. That's a pretty decent chunk considering we're not in the matchmaking pool.

XeroSauce

Yeef said:
Also, I disabled the marks on free players. Out of 1025ish unique players we've had 230 or so free players. That's a pretty decent chunk considering we're not in the matchmaking pool.

How do you know we aren't?

commissar

Yeef said:
Yay!

Though of those 1025ish about 3-400 of them must be Kuro's name changes.

Yeef

commissar said:
Yay!

Though of those 1025ish about 3-400 of them must be Kuro's name changes.
It's based on Steam ID, so that wouldn't matter. Alternate accounts would still be counted. So you can subtract 2 for when I played on two of my idle accounts

Yeef

Forkball said:
My well-planned backstab.

The second first person shot is supposed to be a scout, not sure why his weapon doesn't show up. Also some of Java's hit sounds on the machines don't work either. The replay is really janky when it comes to finer details.
There was a replay I made recently where I was fighting a lagging medic. I killed a spy with the atomizer and the scout spoke this line, but in the replay JUST that line is ridiculously quiet to the point of almost being inaudible.

I've noticed that the average number of players is slowly dropping down from it's 100k free-to-play peak to below 70k now. That's still an average of 50k players more, so there's retention of the new player base but the more awfulcasual players are hopefully dropping the game so the level of play will rise and we'll start seeing better class balance and team work. It's still kind of mind boggling how many teams try to solo/lone wolf it, at least on the servers I frequent.

I was just playing Upward, we steam roll the defending team on because we have two heavies pushing the cart. I'm using a Strange Natascha (grindin' up the completely pointless ePeen), the other heavy is using a Sascha and--pause for effect--we have a medic healing us. Their team class balance consists of two sword demos (the latest build with no pipes), two pyros, two scouts, a mini-gun engi, two soldiers and some free weekend spies. No serious defence, no coordination, nothing. Whatever I don't slowly chew through with my Natascha, the other heavy perforates quickly. They use shitty classes for defence and then turn around and complain about the team balance.

Sometimes other people are open to the suggestion that maybe seven snipers, three spies and one engi isn't a good balanced team for defending badwater, other times it's a classy retort like "stfu fagget". Or worse complete silence combined with doggedly sticking to the same classes, despite the horrid results. My personal favourites are the cloak and dagger spies with less than five points on the third round of a given map.

Spookie

Talking of F2P players. I was playing heavy with a pet medic on Egypt. We end up dying to miscommunication on when to use the uber. Fine we think, 5 seconds left and 4 people alive -- WE GOT THIS!

Four people and they manage to cap. Not one of the four put in any effort to block it. Why? They were all camping their spawn.

*sigh!*

TGMIII

Yeef said:
Because it's opt-in. Also, servers with no damage spread are automatically excluded.

[EDIT] Speaking of which, i don't know how the EU GAF server is doing, but if you want to get enable it for matchmaking to get some extra players check here: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2825-AFGJ-3513

Thanks Yeef I'll look into it, maybe give it a trial run and see how it goes. As for the server, we had it at 22/22 last night so hopefully we can keep it going to get a few regulars pinned down. I need to make a few minor changes to the server cfg but apart from that no one had any real complaints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom