• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeoz said:
Well, I don't see you as online on steam, which means you don't really want one do you? ;-)

Only needed one credit card (since my bank offers virtual credit card numbers: see above).
Also, hats drops are pretty darn rare. Most weeks I get zero hat drops, around 75%+ of the weeks or so, I'd say. I've gotten three-hat-drop-weeks a couple times though...
Most of my metal goes towards regular hat collecting and not unusuals. The only unusual I've kept I got for trading away the Western Wear #1
pretty cool.

Well, I suspect you're well on your way to securing an unusual or two by the end of the year.

It's like growing a tree. Just keep sprinkling water on it once a week.

yeoz

Dreams-Visions said:
pretty cool.

Well, I suspect you're well on your way to securing an unusual or two by the end of the year.

It's like growing a tree. Just keep sprinkling water on it once a week.
I already have a (shitty) all-class unusual, so I have no intention of trying to get another one. :p

Yasae

Banned
Professor Beef said:
God damn that looks alien to me. Looks like I know what I'm going to be trying to do for the next hour or so.
Really? It's a simple copy paste with some launch options you have to add once.

I used the DX9 Frames config and my FPS shot through the roof.

yeoz

Drkirby said:
I would of kept the #1 hat to be honest.
But Hot Rod is the best engineer hat, why would I wear any other? Also I have a #2 hat now, which is good enough for me in terms of numbered hats.

yeoz said:
I already have a (shitty) all-class unusual, so I have no intention of trying to get another one. :p
I mean through trading up. Not by opening crates.

I can't think of any other purpose for having 16 accounts other than to cut the time it takes to earn metal for unusual hats.

Wenger

Neo Member
I just opened my first two crates with the 2 keys I bought to bump myself up to a premium account. I uncrated a strange backburner and a strange knife. I know I didn't do horrible and not as good as I could do, but how did I do?

Also, I'm sort of confused about the strange thing, does every weapon that come out a later crate series automatically become a strange or did I get lucky twice in a row?

Wenger said:
I just opened my first two crates with the 2 keys I bought to bump myself up to a premium account. I uncrated a strange backburner and a strange knife. I know I didn't do horrible and not as good as I could do, but how did I do?

Also, I'm sort of confused about the strange thing, does every weapon that come out a later crate series automatically become a strange or did I get lucky twice in a row?
you did pretty well.

you would have done much better if you had waited until your keys became trade-able.

Dreams-Visions said:
you did pretty well.

you would have done much better if you had waited until your keys became trade-able.

Stop repeating this. We know keys trade for more than the common items in the crates, but the point is to try for an unusual, the Strange items, paints and such are just consolation prizes.

Backburner isn't the hottest, but you might get some solid trades for your knife. I was surprised to see Strange Scatterguns in the 2.66 Refined range today, listed by several people.

Acerac

Banned
Kulock said:
Stop repeating this. We know keys trade for more than the common items in the crates, but the point is to try for an unusual, the Strange items, paints and such are just consolation prizes.

Backburner isn't the hottest, but you might get some solid trades for your knife. I was surprised to see Strange Scatterguns in the 2.66 Refined range today, listed by several people.
I disagree, please keep repeating this. If people didn't keep saying it I'd have never known.

The knife and the backburner are both pretty keen, but trading keys is where all the value is at. :)

Does anyone have a config that removes the stats/top contributors lists on the loading screen? I'm just getting sick of looking at how many points I've gotten with whatever class and Disabled War Vet's avatar.

Wenger

Neo Member
Acerac said:
I disagree, please keep repeating this. If people didn't keep saying it I'd have never known.

The knife and the backburner are both pretty keen, but trading keys is where all the value is at. :)

I wouldn't have bought the keys if I didn't want to have some fun with gambling on the contents. I knew I would probably only buy something from the store once to upgrade my account, it could be my only chance so why not take the opportunity to open up some crates .

Kulock said:
stop repeating this? lol?

If you've heard it, feel free to skip the posts. He appears to be new (he opened his first 2 crates). He should be told. And really, good advice can't be given enough.

Wenger said:
I wouldn't have bought the keys if I didn't want to have some fun with gambling on the contents. I knew I would probably only buy something from the store once to upgrade my account, it could be my only chance so why not take the opportunity to open up some crates .
oh, you just wanted to gamble. that's cool. as long as you're aware of the value of keys and what you can trade them for, it's all good.

Acerac

Banned
Wenger said:
As long as you knew you were gambling that is cool.

If somebody wants to buy lotto tickets I won't stop you. I might tell you the odds, but I won't stop you. :)

Blizzard

Banned
Acerac said:

If somebody wants to buy lotto tickets I won't stop you. I might tell you the odds, but I won't stop you. :)
oddsqsfp.jpg

NEVER TELL ME THE ODDS!

jdogmoney

Blizzard said:
This is correct! I would indeed like it and will give you a reclaimed and item in exchange if that works for you.

Sure! Sorry I was away, I had a job or something to go to...

Name's jdogmoney on steam, I'll hop on and we can get this done.

Blizzard

Banned
jdogmoney said:
Sure! Sorry I was away, I had a job or something to go to...

Name's jdogmoney on steam, I'll hop on and we can get this done.
I added you. Unless you're on in like 10 minutes, I have to go to bed, but I'll catch you tomorrow if so, thanks.

VariantX

AtomHeart said:

I have a laptop that really isnt even supposed to be used for gaming applications and my framerate went up from 15-20 to 30-70 with the configs. TF2 is totally playable now since i can actually track where people are moving now instead of just playing pyro/heavy/engineer where i dont have to pinpoint aim at stuff

jdogmoney

Blizzard said:
I added you. Unless you're on in like 10 minutes, I have to go to bed, but I'll catch you tomorrow if so, thanks.

I'm good for now, but if not, g'night! :D

EDIT: Done and done. Goodbye, magic ray gun!

Wenger

Neo Member
Acerac said:

You can't win if you don't play.

Anyway, since I have a mac I also have a pair of earbuds, which if I understand the tf2 economy (which I don't), can buy me almost anything I want.

Yeef

Professor Beef said:
How do I know which config to use? Max, high, or dx9? Shit is so confusing.
Use whichever one works best for you. Best way to do it is save them each as their own cfg files. Then in your autoexec fill at the bottom put "exec highframes" (or whatever you have named the file). Hop into a game and see if that works for you. If not try something else.

The reason there's a DX9 frames config is likely because the other frames configs use DX8. DX8 uses less power, but can't render certain effects and just looks a bit flatter in general.

I'm too lazy take some screens myself, but here's what came up on a quick Google search for comparison.

DX8

DX9

Acerac

Banned
Wenger said:
You can't win if you don't play.

Anyway, since I have a mac I also have a pair of earbuds, which if I understand the tf2 economy (which I don't), can buy me almost anything I want.
No, but you end up with a whole lot of money from all that gambling you didn't do!

You don't get the earbuds just for having a mac, for reference, you had to have logged on to a mac during a very specific period of time.

Yeef said:
Use whichever one works best for you. Best way to do it is save them each as their own cfg files. Then in your autoexec fill at the bottom put "exec highframes" (or whatever you have named the file). Hop into a game and see if that works for you. If not try something else.

The reason there's a DX9 frames config is likely because the other frames configs use DX8. DX8 uses less power, but can't render certain effects and just looks a bit flatter in general.

I'm too lazy take some screens myself, but here's what came up on a quick Google search for comparison.

DX8

DX9
I'm not really a graphics kind of guy, so I'm only really looking for something to help keep my FPS high. I'm running everything at the lowest settings possible and my laptop runs TF2 just fine, but hearing that this stuff could raise my FPS got me interested. I just wish I was a bit more computer literate so it doesn't seem so daunting.

Yeef

Professor Beef said:
I'm not really a graphics kind of guy, so I'm only really looking for something to help keep my FPS high. I'm running everything at the lowest settings possible and my laptop runs TF2 just fine, but hearing that this stuff could raise my FPS got me interested. I just wish I was a bit more computer literate so it doesn't seem so daunting.
It's not too confusing. DX (DirectX) is the main graphics API for PCs. Think of it like console generations. DX9 is like running in "PS2 mode" and DX3 is like running in "PS3 mode," (there's also DX10 and DX11, but TF2 doesn't support those). If you're looking for maximum frame rate you're going to want to run in DX8 mode.

commissar

Yeef said:
It's not too confusing. DX (DirectX) is the main graphics API for PCs. Think of it like console generations. DX9 is like running in "PS2 mode" and DX3 is like running in "PS3 mode," (there's also DX10 and DX11, but TF2 doesn't support those). If you're looking for maximum frame rate you're going to want to run in DX8 mode.
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhsnap

derFeef

The latest update must have been very silent because when I joined a server and shot around with the Cow Mangler, everyone was freaking out "HOW DID YOU GET THAT!" and so on.

Yeah I rage switch waaaaaaay too often and I need to quit it and stick with a class.

Just got killed by a Spy? Fuck you, I'm comin' for you with my Pyro!
Just got killed by a Demo? Fuck you, I'm comin' for you with my Scout!

etc..

Strange metal. Any way to get some without trading?

MarkMclovin said:
Strange metal. Any way to get some without trading?

Nope, don't bother with it tbh. The Axe is a skinned Eyelander and the hats can be crafted or bought with metal. People who sell it 90% of the time make you supply the gift wrap.

As for everyone playing soldier, it's great! I can finally try out the Spy.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Anyone notice servers crashing with extreme frequency since the lazor update? I play on the SourceOp servers and neither one can seem to stay up for a full rotation since they added the pew pew guns.

I've only played on one server so far when 50% of the players were soldiers. But the server seemed to cope fine with all the lazor charging.

Slave account just found a Glengarry Bonnet. It's already paid off the £4 I spent on it; Last week it found the Furious Fuka and unboxed a unusual and now another hat.

XeroSauce

The rush you get when your alt gets a batch of new weapons...FEELS GOOD MANG.

I really wish the Scout and Engi got that new pistol as well.

Baha

Anybody have a spare blackbox? I have an extra battalion's backup I can trade it. Also have several uber weapon dupes.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
I managed to get a spare Nessie's Nine Iron, if anyone's interested in that. I will trade it for things. (When I get home from work.)

webrunner

Dang drops seem to just want to be Uber weapons (considering I got BARELY ANY last week it must just be trying to make fun of me)

So i've got extra: detonator, booties, overdose, solemn vow, big earner, and can get two more big earners if anyone has any reason to want three.. anyone need any of those and have one of the pewpew guns or the black box/backup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom