• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
C-c-c-c-c-ode BREAKER

I just pocketed a Solider for the whole of a payload. We were unstoppable. I'm gunna pocket more soldiers when I next play medic.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Sourtreats said:
C-c-c-c-c-ode BREAKER

I just pocketed a Solider for the whole of a payload. We were unstoppable. I'm gunna pocket more soldiers when I next play medic.
Yeah. Good offense, good protection, good mobility and reaction.

I turn around when I don't need to fire, can hurt myself for faster uber, etc.

Javaman

Bakphoon said:
1. You can get most of the stuff also as a drop if you play long enough. Also there are weapons which you get after reaching a archievement milestone.

2.Yes, you can craft some weapons. There are blueprints you can use for that (and you can craft stuff where you will get "random" weapons)

3. Dont make the mistake to buy keys ( except you have a F2P version and you want to upgrade to premium). A even bigger mistake is using those Keys to open crates. If you wait 2 days or so they will become tradable, and you could trade them for rare weapons/ items you want.
It'll take years to get everything through the drop system even with trades. I'm still missing some of the newer items and all of the poly hats and I've been playing since the beginning. It really sucks for new players. They'll just have to focus on what they want to use and forget about getting a full weapon list.

Lol at the code begging.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Drops and getting what you want aren't a big deal. When I ask for something, someone on the GAF server is usually willing to trade me it.

Hats are a bit different, but even a n00b can probably get what they need.

Javaman said:
It'll take years to get everything through the drop system even with trades. I'm still missing some of the newer items and all of the poly hats and I've been playing since the beginning. It really sucks for new players. They'll just have to focus on what they want to use and forget about getting a full weapon list.
You don't need to get everything, just what you want. The weapons are incredibly cheap to trade for, but you don't need a full weapon list. A lot of the default class weapons are great as is, but if you find that there's a particular weapon that would work for your playstyle it wouldn't be hard getting it.

Sora

I've been reading the last pages and took notice of the Chris' Config, unfortunately I can't play right now because I'm without laptop here. What I'd want to know is if the Max Quality config compromises the performance, and if it is worth using in comparison with the default settings.

Also, does anyone there know if activating the game via code or gift turns the account into premium?

Update:

I found out that yes, your account turns on premium if you gift someone TF2 or any pack containing TF2.

Also, Valve is working on a better way to turn friends account into premium via gift.

2504kxy.png

source: Facepunch

yeoz

tSP5B.jpg

It's time for another installment of "yeoz has way too many idlers and is trying to get rid of crap"!
Everything on http://www.tf2b.com/id/ye0z is available for trade for 1 scrap, or for any other non-crate item that isn't already in there, or for any two non-crate items.
Send a trade request directly to http://steamcommunity.com/id/ye0z anytime today or tomorrow two weekends from this one! I'm going to otakon!

It's my laptop that's sitting on my desk, and it's designed to beeeeep loudly when I get a trade request. If you add as a friend, it may take a long while before I notice you!

how_to_trade_without_adding_to_friends.jpg

yeoz

Drkirby said:
I'll ask you again, can you just idle my extra accounts for me yeoz?
Account sharing will get your accounts killed. Specifically against TOS. You willing to risk that? Probably not worth it.

Professor Beef said:
Tried Chris' Config, I got a bunch of text with error codes and shit, so I gave up on it. Oh well.
You better give it another try!
It really simple actually.

Just copy everything from one of the configs, paste it in notepad, save it as "autoexec.cfg"
Put it in.

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\Username\team fortress 2\tf\cfg folder and you are set.

Spookie

Hmm. Appears my paint is bugged. I used a team colour paint on my solider hat and finding out I didn't like it I removed it, then repainted it green. Unfortunately though when I'm on blu it turns back to that team colour rather than the new colour I applied.

Is this a known bug?

Cloudius12 said:
You better give it another try!
It really simple actually.

Just copy everything from one of the configs, paste it in notepad, save it as "autoexec.cfg"
Put it in.

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\Username\team fortress 2\tf\cfg folder and you are set.
I did. Got the error message, said "fuck it" and deleted it.

That Pyro set looks amazing.

Forkball said:
I think they just listed every item, regardless of whether they need it or not. Doesn't Valve has an 800 poly limit for community contributed hats? They should take their own advice sometimes.

Also
the_illudium_kaboomer_by_ducksink-d41c0dm.png

f69140acc3680679c2b3bc2eb75b2.jpg

6977fa1ed20970148b82c03fee816cca.png

Rickenslacker said:
You don't need to get everything, just what you want. The weapons are incredibly cheap to trade for, but you don't need a full weapon list. A lot of the default class weapons are great as is, but if you find that there's a particular weapon that would work for your playstyle it wouldn't be hard getting it.

I'd say the only default weapons that are clearly worse than the possible sidegrades are the default medic melee weapon (bonesaw is inferior to all the other options) and the Pyro weapons (all 3 of them except maybe shotgun).

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I don't think the Flare gun or the Shotgun are better then each other, they are just different. The Flare Gun gives you a slow but long ranged attack, the shotgun gives you a faster short to mid range attack.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Drkirby said:
I don't think the Flare gun or the Shotgun are better then each other, they are just different. The Flare Gun gives you a slow but long ranged attack, the shotgun gives you a faster short to mid range attack.
The flare gun seems superior in every situation except versus Pyro.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
ahoyhoy said:
The flare gun seems superior in every situation except versus Pyro.
Not great for moving scouts ether, and can cause problems with snipers (That if you try to line up a shot to him them, they can likely just shoot you)

Normal shotgun is also good for chasing down spies fleeing spies, since you will cause a shimmer every time they get hit by a pellet.

But the Flaregun is the best weapon to take down heavies, since if you are at point blank they can almost always kill you before you kill them.

Yeef

Drkirby said:
Not great for moving scouts ether, and can cause problems with snipers (That if you try to line up a shot to him them, they can likely just shoot you)

Normal shotgun is also good for chasing down spies fleeing spies, since you will cause a shimmer every time they get hit by a pellet.

But the Flaregun is the best weapon to take down heavies, since if you are at point blank they can almost always kill you before you kill them.
Puff -> Sting -> Shotgun takes out heavies quicker than a flaregun can. if they heavy's already spotted you only a bad one will actually fall to long-range flare gun hassling.

yeoz

Forkball said:
It didn't crash. It took a bit longer to load, but it was fine on the one round of Upward before everyone quit.
Yeah, server was fine. Looked like you timed out or something Kuro. Your internet, maybe?

I totally cashed in today. I got the skull splitter I wanted, then I got that cow mangler laser. That thing is really fun to use and I'm glad I found it, it's freaking $10 in the store. After that I decided to try a key for the first time to open on of the crates I've been building up. I got a strange backburner and it's so much fun to use.

Is anyone trading keys away, I have a bunch of spare stuff now.

edit: I'm jumping on right now.

Bakphoon said:
1. You can get most of the stuff also as a drop if you play long enough. Also there are weapons which you get after reaching a archievement milestone.

2.Yes, you can craft some weapons. There are blueprints you can use for that (and you can craft stuff where you will get "random" weapons)

3. Dont make the mistake to buy keys ( except you have a F2P version and you want to upgrade to premium). A even bigger mistake is using those Keys to open crates. If you wait 2 days or so they will become tradable, and you could trade them for rare weapons/ items you want.

ArtistDude88 said:
Welcome to the greatest war-themed hat simulator in the world!

Every week, you get item drops from playing normally,
or idling
. Usually between 5 and 10 a week (+crates), with the reset every Wednesday night.

Every class has 3 Achievement Milestones, and each one you get an item. For Heavy milestones, you'll get the Natascha, Sandvich, and KGB.

You can also craft items. Here's the wiki.

Crates are generally worthless. But if you feel like gambling for an unusual (or for whatever's in the crate), spend that $2.50!

Many thanks to both of you for the answers.

I've checked out that Wiki link this morning, looks like the crafting is quite deep a system - thats cool too.

Noticed on there that the Natascha is unlocked with 16 Heavy achievements! I've got 12 now, so shouldn't be too far off. Awesome!

Thanks also for the tips on the crate. I'll probably buy a Hat or something to go 'premium', not bother with a key. So I'll trade that crate at a later date or whatever.

Cheers.

Javaman said:

I always figured I'd have missed out on a shit-ton of stuff having joined this late anyway and I'll never be able to put the sorta hours into it to catch up either - but it's good to know I'll at least be able to get stuff happening, pick favourite weapons and stuff like that. All good for me!

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
-Deadpool- said:
I always figured I'd have missed out on a shit-ton of stuff having joined this late anyway and I'll never be able to put the sorta hours into it to catch up either - but it's good to know I'll at least be able to get stuff happening, pick favourite weapons and stuff like that. All good for me!

On the upside- there is nothing functionally unique that you can't get, even coming into things now. So you don't have to worry about someone having better stuff, they just have more stuff to choose from.

mojiimbo

If you have any interest in playing Soldier and learning to rocket jump I'd recommend just buying a Rocket Jumper for 50 cents to upgrade your account instead.

commissar

I think it's a waste of time and effort trying to collect everything.
The majority of items look awful and even more of them don't work for my playstyle.

So I craft them or trade to get specific things I like.

The other path is one of jealousy, compulsion and the dark side of the force.

Yeef

commissar said:
The majority of items look awful and even more of them don't work for my playstyle.

Pfft. I already have everything. I even have multiples of some things!

Honestly, other than the Polycount hats, it's not that hard to get all of the weapons. It'll take 6 months or so from normal drops, but I think it's worth it to have every gameplay option available to you. If, for some reason, they decide to buff the Sun-on-a-Stick (or any other weapon) so that it does 5000 damage per hit then I'm covered. Even if they don't and I'm in a silly mood and want to use it I can.

I really wish Valve would go back to weapon recipes just being 2 specific weapons combined, but it seems as if they've settled on reclaimed+specific weapon. With the old cheap recipes a week's worth of doubles could get you 3 to 6 new weapons via crafting. With the new recipes a week's worth of doubles gets you 0 to 1 new weapons.

commissar said:

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Acerac

Banned
Oh shit. I've wanted a blighted beak for my medic for a while and just had it drop... only to realize it is not a hat but an accessory, so I can use it in addition to a hat!

I love it when reality turns out better than what I had hoped for.

Fox318

yeoz said:
tSP5B.jpg

It's time for another installment of "yeoz has way too many idlers and is trying to get rid of crap"!
Everything on http://www.tf2b.com/id/ye0z is available for trade for 1 scrap, or for any other non-crate item that isn't already in there, or for any two non-crate items.
Send a trade request directly to http://steamcommunity.com/id/ye0z anytime today or tomorrow!

It's my laptop that's sitting on my desk, and it's designed to beeeeep loudly when I get a trade request. If you add as a friend, it may take a long while before I notice you!

how_to_trade_without_adding_to_friends.jpg
Just wanted to thank you!!!! Awesome Trade!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom