• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acerac

Banned
wartime1020 said:
For the most part on public servers: on offense go regular uber, on defense go kritz.
That's... actually rather logical. I was thinking about it from a standpoint of best at breaking through walls of enemies, but the kritz would be a good rank breaker if enemies are approaching you.

I don't think I'd play this game if medics still looked like that. Is that from TF1? Or the previews of TF2?

Smithy C

Sourtreats said:
Is the EU server still being used? I saw some people on it earlier, joined and it seemed like some randoms, I killed a heavy and medic combo several times and they rage quitted.
I always have a look on there when I jump on TF2, but I never really see more than a few people on there. I think it should be like how the US server goes, when one of the admin is up for playing, they send out a message to all the members who are online through the Steam group so everyone knows.

Acerac said:
I'm glad we've gotten on this subject, because as a new player I must admit ignorance here.

Why would I want to use anything but the Uber medic gun? I understand that the other guns charge faster, but their effects seem so weak in comparison that (to my unexperienced eyes) they seem crappy at best.

I can remember numerous times being followed by a medic with full ubercharge to the frontlines, they pop kritzkreig... and I can't push past the sentry defense because the healing isn't nearly significant enough and I get no bonus damage against sentries anyways. Or I get a kritz popped on me and the opponent pops an uber in response. I guess that means we run now? Thanks for the charge though I guess?

Also, I like ubering heavies over soldiers at times solely due to ammo. It happened to me as a soldier the other day on the last point in a payload map, I get ubered as a soldier with 2 rockets left. OK I guess that means I pop out my shotgun for the last few seconds. Not the end of the world. Oh wait I got another uber right after the first ended with no chance to reload? Well this is going to be awkward.

Once again, total scrub viewpoint, just looking to learn here.
A kritzkrieg Soldier with 4 rockets loaded is god tier. Same with a kritzkrieg sticky grenading Demo with 8 rounds and good aim. Maybe even moreso.

It's okay with the heavy, but Uber is preferred for him. Kritzkrieg is not great with any other class, tbh. But with those 2 classes, you're guaranteed to WRECK shit.

Uber is always preferred when going up against fortified encampments (read: sentries). For any other scenario, you can probably do a lot more damage with Kritzkrieg.

Clydefrog

Acerac said:
I don't think I'd play this game if medics still looked like that. Is that from TF1? Or the previews of TF2?

Hahaha yeah they're both from Team Fortress Classic (TF1), newer model on the left and older model on the right. They would infect enemies with their medkit. If an infected player comes near you, you become infected. People would sit in spawn while infected. It was horrible.

They also had fucking concussion grenades and would bounce all over the map.

Zomba13

Smithy C said:
I always have a look on there when I jump on TF2, but I never really see more than a few people on there. I think it should be like how the US server goes, when one of the admin is up for playing, they send out a message to all the members who are online through the Steam group so everyone knows.
Yeah. I'd love to play on the EU server more. Only time I have played on it we had like 6 or so people.

Clydefrog said:
Hahaha yeah they're both from Team Fortress Classic (TF1), newer model on the left and older model on the right. They would infect enemies with their medkit. If an infected player comes near you, you become infected. People would sit in spawn while infected. It was horrible.

Don't even get me fucking started about fucking grenades. The best thing about TF2 is the complete removal of that shit.

Acerac

Banned
Clydefrog said:

That sounds like fun actually. Interesting that they took that out. Did the infection run out after a certain amount of time, or was the only cure death?

Dreams-Visions said:
A kritzkrieg Soldier with 4 rockets loaded is god tier. Same with a kritzkrieg sticky grenading Demo with 8 rounds and good aim. Maybe even moreso.

It's okay with the heavy, but Uber is preferred for him. Kritzkrieg is not great with any other class, tbh. But with those 2 classes, you're guaranteed to WRECK shit.

Uber is always preferred when going up against fortified encampments (read: sentries). For any other scenario, you can probably do a lot more damage with Kritzkrieg.
Thanks for the advice everyone. I may try out a kritzmedic tonight when I play. Until I see a single engineer. I don't know why but when I see somebody playing that class I can't help but try to exploit it the way all other players exploited my engy. I guess that's what happens when 70% of your playtime when you start goes to the same class.

Forkball said:
Karma?

Obsessed said:
Just in case you don't know: You can uber multiple people at once. The uber lasts for a second or two after you stop focusing the medigun on them. If you are fast enough you can juggle the beam between multiple teammates.
I had actually been wondering about that as well. I wasn't sure if it was a graphical glitch or an intended side effect.

Acerac said:
Also, I like ubering heavies over soldiers at times solely due to ammo. It happened to me as a soldier the other day on the last point in a payload map, I get ubered as a soldier with 2 rockets left. OK I guess that means I pop out my shotgun for the last few seconds. Not the end of the world. Oh wait I got another uber right after the first ended with no chance to reload? Well this is going to be awkward.

Just in case you don't know: You can uber multiple people at once. The uber lasts for a second or two after you stop focusing the medigun on them. If you are fast enough you can juggle the beam between multiple teammates.

Clydefrog

Acerac said:
That sounds like fun actually. Interesting that they took that out. Did the infection run out after a certain amount of time, or was the only cure death?

Only thing that could heal you was a medic teammate. Otherwise, you lose like 5 health every other second. :(

Acerac said:
It was stupid and shit and the world is a better place now that it got taken out much like all the grenades.

Obsessed said:

Am i right in thinking that has a negative effect on Ubercharge duration?

Acerac

Banned
SteveWinwood said:
It was stupid and shit and the world is a better place now that it got taken out much like all the grenades.
Why would you think that I'm sure it wasn't that ba....

Clydefrog said:
Only thing that could heal you was a medic teammate. Otherwise, you lose like 5 health every other second. :(

Hahahahahaha.... and it SPREADS.

It doesn't sound that bad at first but counting cumulative damage that had to be horrible.

Seems it is one of those abilities I'd love more than almost any other but I understand it's better for balance if it doesn't exist.

Acerac said:
Why would you think that I'm sure it wasn't that ba....

Hahahahahaha.... and it SPREADS.

It doesn't sound that bad at first but counting cumulative damage that had to be horrible.

Seems it is one of those abilities I'd love more than almost any other but I understand it's better for balance if it doesn't exist.
http://youtu.be/2EUGMK2-PV0
This would happen all the time... Also seeing that map look like that is bringing back so many memories.

Dandare4444 said:
Am i right in thinking that has a negative effect on Ubercharge duration?
Yes, it drains your Uber faster, because it still counts the time that the first target is being ubered as draining your charge.

EmCeeGramr said:
Yes, it drains your Uber faster, because it still counts the time that the first target is being ubered as draining your charge.
Thought so, thanks for that. I remember the gool ol' days on the Xbox where you could switch your uber on and off by changing between weapons. Always loved that exploit.

Acerac

Banned
Clydefrog said:
Wow, watched the whole thing. Very interesting to gew a bit of a lesson on TF's roots.

It amazes me to this day that a FPS has won me over and become my favorite game to play. While it is still my least favorite genre all together, something about this game has clicked perfectly with me.

Perhaps it is because almost half of the classes don't require much aiming!

TheBez

I'm looking for a few things. Here is my backpack http://tf2b.com/76561197995779955. Everything on page one is for trade normals are one scrap, vintages 2. Page 2 is for trade with the right offer. I am looking for a Strange Backburner, a Strange Minigun, Triboniophorus Tyrannus, and metal.

Acerac said:
Wow, watched the whole thing. Very interesting to gew a bit of a lesson on TF's roots.

Fun fact: the original TF is actually even older. Team Fortress Classic was an HL1 add-on game created after Valve hired Robin Walker and John Cook in 1999, to tide over fans while their team was working on TF2: Brotherhood of Arms.

The original Team Fortress was a mod. And it was almost definitely the first class-based shooter ever (it apparently also introduced the first headshots in an FPS during one of its updates).

It was a Quake 1 mod released in 1996.

EmCeeGramr said:

Oh shit. In that case I won't uber multiple people as often as I've been doing.

EmCeeGramr said:
Fun fact: the original TF is actually even older. Team Fortress Classic was an HL1 add-on game created after Valve hired Robin Walker and John Cook in 1999, to tide over fans while their team was working on TF2: Brotherhood of Arms.

The original Team Fortress was a mod. And it was almost definitely the first class-based shooter ever (it apparently also introduced the first headshots in an FPS during one of its updates).

No Quake mod was as good as Horror Show. That was the greatest thing in the world and nothing quite like it anymore :(

Obsessed said:
That's really hard to pull off in pubs. I've only managed to do it nicely in Janky-Ass, and once in a GG server.

Clydefrog

EmCeeGramr said:

Ah, tis true. Forgot all that!

One of my other favorite HL1 mods was Natural Selection. Hopefully NS2 comes out soon!!!

Clydefrog said:
Ah, tis true. Forgot all that!

One of my other favorite HL1 mods was Natural Selection. Hopefully NS2 comes out soon!!!
I completely forgot that NS2 was still coming out. Do they have a timeframe? Soon?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Obsessed said:
I also have a question for those experienced with medic: Let's say I'm in a a battle with 6 other teammates. A heavy, demoman, two soldiers, a spy, and a pyro. They are all at 40% health. Which class should get priority in which situations, and how much do I heal them before moving on to the next class?

Is this just something you learn to get a feel for?

Also the quick fix does have one thing going for it: Superior healing sound. I fucking LOVE the sound it makes when active.
conbrio? Avatar looks the same.

First - stop using quick fix...no...STOP USING QUICK FIX!

Second - as to your question, it would depend on who has the most points, but I'd go something like

Demo, Solly, Solly, Stick with heavy and push up. Spy and pyro can help themselves if time is running out and you need to push asap. Otherwise you can heal them as you move up with the rest of them.

Why? If someone comes around a corner, an experienced demo can kill him faster than a spy or pyro. A solly can do some decent damage. A heavy caught unawares is fucked...even with the shitty tomislav.

I usually heal them 'just' til they reach their max and move on to the others. If they haven't gone after I've healed them, I'll move up and buff them whilst healing the heavy.

DarkKyo

TF2 patch up.

Corrected the damage ramp for the Cow Mangler 5000 and the Soda Popper
Fixed a rare crash bug with the Demoman TFBot laying stickybomb traps
Fixed a bug that would cause team-painted wearable gibs to show an incorrect color
Fix memory leak when updating the item schema
Fix an occasional crash on game exit
Replay updates
Client
Added basic/rough render queue for internal use to increase replay output for relaunch trailer
Block files are now deleted on replay reconstruction (i.e. viewing), to conserve disk space
Unneeded block files are now cleaned up automatically on startup
Server
Fixed fileserver cleanup
Any time replay_fileserver_offload_hostname is modified, the corresponding IP is resolved and cached, if possible. This fixes a crash, as well as failed publishing due to "unresolved hostname" errors.
Added a fileserver IP lookup test to replay publish test
Setting replay_enable to 0 now halts recording and does cleanup automatically, the way replay_stoprecord does. This fixes a crash that would occur when replay_enable was set to 0 and a changelevel was executed.
Replay temp directories automatically cleared on startup on both client and server
Memory management improvements
- Added ConVar demo_fov_override, which overrides the FOV during demo playback if the value is non-zero

Zomba13

Dechaios said:
TF2 patch up.

Corrected the damage ramp for the Cow Mangler 5000 and the Soda Popper
Fixed a rare crash bug with the Demoman TFBot laying stickybomb traps
Fixed a bug that would cause team-painted wearable gibs to show an incorrect color
Fix memory leak when updating the item schema
Replay updates
Client
Added basic/rough render queue for internal use to increase replay output for relaunch trailer
Block files are now deleted on replay reconstruction (i.e. viewing), to conserve disk space
Unneeded block files are now cleaned up automatically on startup
Server
Fixed fileserver cleanup
Any time replay_fileserver_offload_hostname is modified, the corresponding IP is resolved and cached, if possible. This fixes a crash, as well as failed publishing due to "unresolved hostname" errors.
Added a fileserver IP lookup test to replay publish test
Setting replay_enable to 0 now halts recording and does cleanup automatically, the way replay_stoprecord does. This fixes a crash that would occur when replay_enable was set to 0 and a changelevel was executed.
Replay temp directories automatically cleared on startup on both client and server
Memory management improvements
- Added ConVar demo_fov_override, which overrides the FOV during demo playback if the value is non-zero
Does that mean that Team paint is fixed so It's back to being blue on blu team?

Boonoo

Zomba13 said:
My trouble with it was that it would turn red when I died, but while alive it was always blue. So I guess this fixes that. Was yours actually red while alive?

commissar

Dechaios said:
TF2 patch up.
yessssssssss. so annoying.

Also loving the TFC vids. So many memories
all of them ruined by grenade spam
TFC is also how AIDS entered my lexicon.

Surprised that QWTF had the first headshots, I awlays thought that was Action Quake.

Kuro Madoushi said:
conbrio? Avatar looks the same.

First - stop using quick fix...no...STOP USING QUICK FIX!

Second - as to your question, it would depend on who has the most points, but I'd go something like

Demo, Solly, Solly, Stick with heavy and push up. Spy and pyro can help themselves if time is running out and you need to push asap. Otherwise you can heal them as you move up with the rest of them.

Why? If someone comes around a corner, an experienced demo can kill him faster than a spy or pyro. A solly can do some decent damage. A heavy caught unawares is fucked...even with the shitty tomislav.

I usually heal them 'just' til they reach their max and move on to the others. If they haven't gone after I've healed them, I'll move up and buff them whilst healing the heavy.

Yes, that is I.

I don't use the quick fix except in Valve servers, and only because I love the healing noise.

Anyway thanks for the advice. Glad to know I've been doing it about right in terms of heal order.

Also why is the tomislav shitty?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Obsessed said:
Yes, that is I.

I don't use the quick fix except in Valve servers, and only because I love the healing noise.

Anyway thanks for the advice. Glad to know I've been doing it about right in terms of heal order.

Also why is the tomislav shitty?
completely replaces minigun
spin up WAY too fast
takes away one of the heavy's liabilities

Watching you play, you gotta be ready to back out after ubers. Too many meds stay with their pocket deep in enemy territory. Gotta back out or leave the bastard and go back to friendly waters.

Forkball

Zomba13 said:
They fixed that a while ago. This refers to the glitch that causes your TS painted items to default to red when you die. For example, when I play BLU Sniper and die, my headband would often turn to red (or sometimes yellow).

And they finally fixed the Soda Popper's damage ramp up. At first it seemed like it was a conscious decision and not a glitch, but I guess they changed their minds. The problem was without the ramp up, it was difficult to kill people via a two-shot minicrit. Can't wait to see how it works now.

Also it seems like grockets are still there.

Kuro Madoushi said:
completely replaces minigun
spin up WAY too fast
takes away one of the heavy's liabilities

Watching you play, you gotta be ready to back out after ubers. Too many meds stay with their pocket deep in enemy territory. Gotta back out or leave the bastard and go back to friendly waters.

Oh so you meant OP. I thought you meant it was overnerfed or something.

And I was always wondering if that was the right thing to do. I'll keep that in mind.

Boonoo

Kuro Madoushi said:
Apparently, Artistdude said, "Yeef's doin the server"

goddamn it boonoo, fix yer damn avatar.
Don't got none D:
ijjKaq.gif

Hm. I don't think it's giving me the option to update yet. At least I hope the update hasn't gone through yet because I just tried to play a match and three times in a row it crashed on me the instant the level loaded.

Any way to force steam to check for an update?

Boonoo

Tkawsome said:
Hm. I don't think it's giving me the option to update yet. At least I hope the update hasn't gone through yet because I just tried to play a match and three times in a row it crashed on me the instant the level loaded.

Any way to force steam to check for an update?
Try verifying the integrity of the game cache. Properties, local files.

Boonoo

In windows you right click on the game in the library, go to properties, then it's an option in the local files tab. Not sure about mac.

Boonoo said:
In windows you right click on the game in the library, go to properties, then it's an option in the local files tab. Not sure about mac.

Okay. Just verified and it's just sitting at 100% in the progress bar. Not sure if that's how it normally works, but I didn't get any messages or anything. Now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom