• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clydefrog

I got a Bushwacka and a crate at the same time last night. It was pretty sweet. I also got a Short Stop later that night. Best night ever!

Blizzard

Banned
I got a crate and some item, promptly traded the crate for two more items, and then the person who got the crate paid $2.50 for a $1 (isn't that the price?) dueling game inside the crate. :lol

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
platypotamus said:
My guess is it was his Giant Bomb trolling hijacking the steam thread.
My guess to, but you can never be to sure with Twig.

And yes, the Dueling gun is $.99, I would be damned pissed if I got that out of the box. At least the paint you can rationalize "Well, the paint is $2.49, so its not a total loss..."

KJTB

You can't rationalize getting anything other than rare paint and hats from crates... Regardless of what you might tell yourself, you still spent $ 2.50 on a weapon you probably already have...

I have been a victim of this too many times and it has left me a bitter man :(

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
The great thing about crates is that because the keys are $2.49 but the minimum amount you can add to your Steam wallet is $5.00, you esentially get a FREE KEY after every 250 key purchases!

Brak

The really crazy thing is that I paid $2.50 total for TF2. God bless you steam sales.

Edit: Now that it's been two weeks is anybody ready to give their full opinions on the new polycount weapons. I still need to get the shortstop, the eternal reward and the sydney sleeper, but I have definitely added some of the new weapons into my rotation.

The Bushwacka is a fantastic addition to a Jarateer. If you Jarate someone they are pretty much dead if they let you hit them. Huntsman/Jarate/Bushwacka is the new standard battle sniper loadout in my opinion.

Darwin's Danger Shield is sort of interesting, but personally I could never replace Jarate for a passive boost. It's certainly much more useful than the razorback, but that's not saying much. I guess it's better than the SMG if you're the kind of sniper who sits way in the backfield and doesn't get involved in the skirmish much. Probably reserved for people running the full set.

Mad Milk doesn't seem incredibly helpful, and to give up the pistol for it is a difficult exchange. I haven't seen Mad Milk swing the tide of a skirmish (the way a well-placed jarate does) like I was expecting it to. The ability to extinguish teammates is always good, but i don't see too many people using this unless they are running the full set, like the Danger Shield.

The Degreaser is a great compromise between the killing power of the Backburner and the overall utility of the regular flamethrower. Degreaser plus Axtinguisher is a wicked combo. Giving up the extra burn hurts in defensive situations where you can't be chasing down enemies for the axe kill, but it's ultimately a fair trade.

The Powerjack is probably the smarter way to go in the long run than the axtinguisher, as you can more effectively deal with other pyros, but mmm that axtinguisher crit is satisfying. The Fire Axe is pretty much obsolete now though, which is somewhat disappointing because it looks so cool.

The L'Etranger is interesting but not really game changing, I can't really see anyone playing spy differently based on its mechanics.

I just can't justify giving up the health to use the vitasaw. If I'm playing medic well, I shouldn't be dying with lots of uber built up, so it just seems like a cop-out to use it, in my opinion.

Gloves of Running Urgently are handy but probably shouldn't be overused. They are more of a tool, like the Homewrecker.

I don't really play enough soldier to comment on his new weapons, but the battalion backup seems like a worthy complement to the buff banner.

Overall I would say it was a very good update, just need to see if the set bonuses are too powerful, though I very much doubt that they are.

Now they just need to fix some of the older items that are useless like dalokahs, and razorback.

Lumine

Hey a degreaser actually dropped for me tonight. Love it too. I always enjoyed using the 1-2 combo with the axtinguisher and this just makes it so much better. I was suprised to see it still has the airblast and the fast swap works between all your weapons. :)

Lumine

Hey thanks for the offer mate. I gotta decline though as they would likely be weapons I wouldn't use (much,) so trading (in theory) 4 weapons for them doesn't seem worth it to me. If you had a spare bushwacka and blackbox or something I would've accepted. One scrap metal for both of those is acceptable as well. :)

DrKirby, adding you via "DocKirby" worked so expect a friend request from "Vertigo-1." Any chance you'll be on at some point tonight? I'd like to trade you for that Vintage Homewrecker if you have any time :D

Clydefrog

Brak said:
The Bushwacka is a fantastic addition to a Jarateer. If you Jarate someone they are pretty much dead if they let you hit them. Huntsman/Jarate/Bushwacka is the new standard battle sniper loadout in my opinion.

Yep. After getting the Bushwacka last night, I was killing so many people with that combo. People already hate my arrows... now they got more to hate. sweeeet

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
MisterAnderson said:
DrKirby, adding you via "DocKirby" worked so expect a friend request from "Vertigo-1." Any chance you'll be on at some point tonight? I'd like to trade you for that Vintage Homewrecker if you have any time :D
Ah, so that is who that was. I was thinking "I have never seen this guy before at all, WHY DO RANDOM PEOPLE ADD ME D:"

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
He will be back next month, in the mean time we can talk bad about him and he can't even read what we have to say, BWHAHAHAHA.

(._.)

Banned
Yeef said:
Milk is awesome. Anyone who says otherwise is a hater.
I honestly just found out how it works like three days ago. I haven't touched Scout once since the update and the item was buggy as hell on a lot of servers.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
notsol337 said:
Oh, Twig! Not everyone on GAF knows about your offbeatiness :p

Milk sucks...

Go ahead. Use it when I'm coming up after you as a scout as well. You'll wish you had that pistol.

Only use for it is gettin spahs and putting out fire. However, a good scout will hunt down spies if they see them (going to the nearest ammo/health in case they're using the douche ringer), and a good scout stays out of the range of the pyro's fire or knows enough when to back off if he's caught and runs to the nearest health.

KJTB

I like the Vita- Saw but I do tend to switch it out a lot for the ubersaw.

I absolutely hate dying when I have like 90% uber built up as a medic though, it's one of the reasons why the medic is my least played class. The vita-saw helps calm me down in such situations :lol

Yeef

Kuro Madoushi said:
Milk sucks...

Go ahead. Use it when I'm coming up after you as a scout as well. You'll wish you had that pistol.
We played an all scout match on koth_nucleus last night and (as I recall) I was the only one using the set and I was racking up the kills.

So long as your aim doesn't suck (and admittedly, mine does :p) and you assume no random crits and no spread, a Special Delivery scout will out damage a vanilla scout 1v1. The special delivery scout will also have an extra 25 health buffer as well as, potential healing via milk.

Of course, it doesn't fare as well against other classes/situations, as it should be. Still, in a scout vs. scout match up, assuming equal skill, the milkman should come out on top.

Boonoo

Yeef said:
We played an all scout match on koth_nucleus last night and (as I recall) I was the only one using the set and I was racking up the kills.

So long as your aim doesn't suck (and admittedly, mine does :p) and you assume no random crits and no spread, a Special Delivery scout will out damage a vanilla scout 1v1. The special delivery scout will also have an extra 25 health buffer as well as, potential healing via milk.

Of course, it doesn't fare as well against other classes/situations, as it should be. Still, in a scout vs. scout match up, assuming equal skill, the milkman should come out on top.

How would the Special Delivery out damage the normal?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Equal skill? With that crappy set getting a health boost? :p

Vanilla scout (without the retarded sandman) should be able to take a shortstop scout easily with equal skill. I'm talking regular battles and not 'whole team as scout' though.

Or, maybe all the scouts I've faced so far on the random servers I jump onto just really suck.

BOONOO! I need some practice with ya!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Drkirby said:
Doesn't it fire faster?
So what? I could take a hit or two to get in and do max dmg with my scattergun. Remember, 2-3 scattergun meatshots can take down a heavy.

Hell, I took out 2 heavies (though they were pretty stupid) on badlands one right after the other.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I still want to get the full Pyro set and see how much of an edge that 10% speed boost can give me. Nether the Powerjack or the Degreeser have large set backs, it comes down to how easily it would be to chain "Set them on fire, hit with hammer, repeat" with the extra speed boost I would be faster then every class except the Scout.

KJTB

Drkirby said:
I still want to get the full Pyro set and see how much of an edge that 10% speed boost can give me. Nether the Powerjack or the Degreeser have large set backs, it comes down to how easily it would be to chain "Set them on fire, hit with hammer, repeat" with the extra speed boost I would be faster then every class except the Scout.

Give in, buy the set (or at least what you don't have).

You know you want to... don't deny it.

Yeef

Kuro Madoushi said:
Equal skill? With that crappy set getting a health boost? :p

Vanilla scout (without the retarded sandman) should be able to take a shortstop scout easily with equal skill. I'm talking regular battles and not 'whole team as scout' though.
It takes 2 meat shots with both the scattergun and the shortstop to kill a scout. Shortstop fires faster. Therefore, all else being equal the shortstop wins.

Even at non-meat ranges the same holds true.

At long range the pistol out damages the shortstop, but at long range no one is going either scout has plenty of time to get away.

Or, maybe all the scouts I've faced so far on the random servers I jump onto just really suck.
Most scouts do suck! Including me. So many times I run into other scouts and we just run around missing shots at each other until someone else intervenes. It's especially amusing when we both miss all of our shots and then retreat in opposite directions to regroup.

Kuro Madoushi said:
So what? I could take a hit or two to get in and do max dmg with my scattergun. Remember, 2-3 scattergun meatshots can take down a heavy.
It takes 3 meat shots on a heavy at full health if you don't get any crits.

(._.)

Banned
Kuro Madoushi said:
Oh, Twig! Not everyone on GAF knows about your offbeatiness :p

Milk sucks...

Only use for it is gettin spahs and putting out fire. However, a good scout will hunt down spies if they see them (going to the nearest ammo/health in case they're using the douche ringer), and a good scout stays out of the range of the pyro's fire or knows enough when to back off if he's caught and runs to the nearest health.
Milk is awesome with the entire milk man set. I wish I had the pistol sometimes though. The new scout gun is crazy strong so Pyros aren't a huge problem if you have the new gun and a milk to take out fire.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Decided to pop on the server and play a few rounds for the hell of it since I had some spare time. Degreaser is amazing. That is all.

Brak

Dipindots said:
Give in, buy the set (or at least what you don't have).

You know you want to... don't deny it.
Why buy it? They released crafting recipes that aren't that ridiculous (4 refined + 1 polycount weapon), so just trade a hat for some metal and craft it.

Brak

Yeef said:
It takes 2 meat shots with both the scattergun and the shortstop to kill a scout. Shortstop fires faster. Therefore, all else being equal the shortstop wins.

At long range the pistol out damages the shortstop, but at long range no one is going either scout has plenty of time to get away.

Most scouts do suck! Including me. So many times I run into other scouts and we just run around missing shots at each other until someone else intervenes. It's especially amusing when we both miss all of our shots and then retreat in opposite directions to regroup.

It takes 3 meat shots on a heavy at full health if you don't get any crits.
I think ultimately you're talking about why the shortstop is good, and not why milk isn't bad. At best you're saying that putting in the milk for the full set bonus (essentially the 25 hp) is worth it. I don't know if I disagree, it seems like a worthy alternate although I haven't tried it yet. But you're not really convincing me that anyone would ever use Mad Milk under any other circumstances.

Also: wicked games on the server last night. Especially the Viaduct matches. I don't know who MUJU is, but he blew me up as medic far too many times.

Yeef

Brak said:
I think ultimately you're talking about why the shortstop is good, and not why milk isn't bad. At best you're saying that putting in the milk for the full set bonus (essentially the 25 hp) is worth it. I don't know if I disagree, it seems like a worthy alternate although I haven't tried it yet. But you're not really convincing me that anyone would ever use Mad Milk under any other circumstances.

Also: wicked games on the server last night. Especially the Viaduct matches. I don't know who MUJU is, but he blew me up as medic far too many times.
Well, every weapon has its place. You should really constantly be changing your load out as the situation changes. But milk is great because it greatly increases the survivability of your team if they can aim at all, which means less regrouping and more pushing. What's great is that the milk icon doesn't cause any nuisance (unlike bleeding and jarate and afterburn) so a lot of people don't realize it when they get covered in the heat of battle.

Also, I'm tired of talking about this.

Here is an amusing image of rac.

Scout_bombing_run.png

Boonoo

Yeef said:

If 'all else being equal' means that both scouts stand toe to toe and fire at one another then yeah, the short stop wins. But if we're assuming a one on one scout fight then things play out a little bit differently. It's a rare occurrence that you land two full shots in a row; it's a lot more often, when 2 shot kills happen, that you hit them one full and one glancing, or two glancing, but 2 shot kills don't happen too often. Often you'll get several glancing plus a few pistol shots, or one full and some pistols, or one full and a bunch of misses and then they kill you.

The short stop fires fewer pellets and has a much tighter spread which in the end makes it harder to hit someone, and that has to be factored in (this may be somewhat balanced out by the slow down, but if you're getting hit enough to where you can feel the slow down you're probably already dead. It firing faster, I don't think, is too much of an issue, because generally firing faster isn't going to help you.

All of this ends up with the normal scout having better damage potential

In the end going with the Special Delivery suit is a trade up of raw power for survivability.

Yeef

Just had a nice trading run on tf2items.com

Now I've got all of the new weapons other than the revolver and the sleeper (which I traded away). Trading items worked great; trading hats is terrible. Everyone just sets up their trades saying they'll trade for any hat instead of using it the way it's supposed to be used and actually selecting which hats they'll trade for.

I have a stainless pot or a football helm to trade for either the brain slug or the brigade helm if anyone's interested.

KJTB

Brak said:
Why buy it? They released crafting recipes that aren't that ridiculous (4 refined + 1 polycount weapon), so just trade a hat for some metal and craft it.

but he can have it now without the effort!

(._.)

Banned
The one rac has? All new added class hats can't along with I the last update before it. I'm guessing they will add those to MANN CO soon.

rac

Banned
(._.) said:
The one rac has? All new added class hats can't along with I the last update before it. I'm guessing they will add those to MANN CO soon.
No I don't think they're going to add those to MANN CO. There are a bunch of pre update hats not available in the store like the drill hat and the safe n' sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom