• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

AcciDante

Javaman said:
Fallengorn put it better then I could. The hat thing was a fun joke/distraction for a while, but now it's just getting to the point of the game focusing around it. Paid for items (crates :eek:P), people farming for masks, etc. My interest in the game is at an all time low lately. The server is up for renewal tomorrow and I'm going to give it one more month then shut it down.

D:

Blizzard

Banned
Javaman said:
Fallengorn put it better then I could. The hat thing was a fun joke/distraction for a while, but now it's just getting to the point of the game focusing around it. Paid for items (crates :eek:P), people farming for masks, etc. My interest in the game is at an all time low lately. The server is up for renewal tomorrow and I'm going to give it one more month then shut it down.
dark_city_strangers.jpg

Shut it down! Shut it down...forever!

Yeef

Javaman said:
Meh. Rockband doesn't effect my TF2 time since I don't play drums after 9pm.
If it's too loud, you're too old!

EasyTGT said:
Don't do it java! How much does the server cost? I'll put up the cash if you keep doing the admin stuff.
Server is about $30 a month, give or take. I don't think it'd be too hard to keep it up via donations. If you do decided to cancel, Java, hopefully there's some way to transfer the IP over to someone else. I'd hate to have to retire this:

28tdtld.jpg

Javaman

EasyTGT said:
Don't do it java! How much does the server cost? I'll put up the cash if you keep doing the admin stuff.

Thanks, but I made it a goal from day one to keep it donate free. If someone else wants to set one up they could probably run it through donations but doing that has it's own perils. I know that gameservers has a clanpay set up where people can donate directly to the server which would keep a lot of "funny" business out of the way, but if I were to do it again, I would stay away from GS altogether. It's one of the cheaper hosts and you have to deal with slow DL speeds unless you spend another $5 for them to allow you to redirect (lolz).

Javaman

Yeef said:

Server is about $30 a month, give or take. I don't think it'd be too hard to keep it up via donations. If you do decided to cancel, Java, hopefully there's some way to transfer the IP over to someone else. I'd hate to have to retire this:

28tdtld.jpg

There might be a way. If anyone is interested just PM me and we'll work it out. We've got a month, so no rush. Semi-worst case, changing the IP won't be too bad. We can just send it out vie tf2 group event. Anyone that misses it will surely have a friend they can copy the IP from.

Inkwell

Banned
Yeah, I've been sick of TF2 recently. I got really pissed off on the first night of the Halloween event because of a number of factors. Afterward I realized I didn't even care about the new hats, and I never liked the implementation of anything to do with the store. I don't even care about the polycount items at all. The hats and items were fun at first, but they've gotten a little out of hand.

Javaman said:
It's one of the cheaper hosts and you have to deal with slow DL speeds unless you spend another $5 for them to allow you to redirect (lolz).
I looked into this, and it looks like you only have to pay the $5 if you use one of GS servers. You should be able to use an ftp to add the sv_downloadurl line to whatever file it needs to be in. Of course you need a host lined up which costs money.

By the way, thanks for running/renting the server. I've had a lot of good times on there. I'll try to get on there a decent amount of times in the next month.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I just don't get why people just don't play on normal servers. I mean, I want all 10 masks, but I have a minor case of OCD, but I am sure if we just kept the gaf server a Mann Maner free zone it should populate.

commissar

it's possible to restrict items... so could ban all hats on the server for the last month.
or set it back to the original game. no unlockables whatsoever :)

either way thanks heaps for running the server for so long Javaman. it's been an absolute blast :D

fuck valve

rac

Banned
Well I gotta say thanks java for having this server up. Pretty much single handedly reignited my love for tf2. Sad to see it go like this though.

commissar said:
it's possible to restrict items... so could ban all hats on the server for the last month.
or set it back to the original game. no unlockables whatsoever :)

either way thanks heaps for running the server for so long Javaman. it's been an absolute blast :D

fuck valve
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1554624
Do it.
you won't :U

Javaman said:
I completely agree. To be fair, I never really got into TF2 and the GAF server was the only reason I played, but these recent updates burned out my interest so quickly. It feels like an MMO. If I feel differently when the server is shut down, I'd probably be willing to donate.

Darn it, I just started playing TF2, too, and the GAF server is my primary server. Looks like I'm going to have to start playing on other servers more to find one I like as much as the GAF one...

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Yah thats sad to hear. Probably going to end up playing the game a lot less myself without a good crew of people to regularly play with in a server like that. Regardless, thanks for keeping it up like you have

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Thanks for the fun times on the server Java. I wish I had more time to play with you guys again but it was a blast.

Thanks again Java. I only got to play on there maybe two or three times while it was populated, but it was good fun with a pretty reasonable crew, a nice change between the totally unorganized pub messes and the people that take every moment of the game way too seriously.

(._.)

Banned
Damn, the GAF server is going down :(

On top of that my other favorite server is going through a rough time. The group centered around it and the admins are clashing. One admin abused his power and the others obviously had to cover up for him. People are getting pissed, everybody is hostile, members are leaving :(

moojito

Yeah, I'd always be wary of attaching myself to one server, especially one ran by a single person.

Here in the UK there are the hampshire heavy servers that are almost always well populated, with some very skilled players. A bit too skilled for my liking if I'm honest, but it's good to sometimes play with more skilled people, or you'll never improve.

Also on my favourites list is one called playstuff which has an excellent group of regulars, and another one called The OC. All have a decent list of maps, not many custom ones, people using voice chat, and little or no bitching.

Probably not much use to you colonials, but I'm sure if any of you have good server recommendations you could be sharing them as well.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
The other server I used to hang around in was Theville.org which was a nice 24 player server. Unfortunately, I don't have much time to dedicate myself to actual games so i've been sticking with 2fort. If anyone knows any good 24 man servers do post the ip.

Chinner

Banned
(._.) said:
Damn, the GAF server is going down :(

On top of that my other favorite server is going through a rough time. The group centered around it and the admins are clashing. One admin abused his power and the others obviously had to cover up for him. People are getting pissed, everybody is hostile, members are leaving :(
pcgamer is good. i play on it alot. lots of regulars.

bit shit at the moment because its 24/7 manor. but once halloween ends it'll go back to its old map rotation which is generally pretty good.

Boonoo

Jangaroo said:
The other server I used to hang around in was Theville.org which was a nice 24 player server. Unfortunately, I don't have much time to dedicate myself to actual games so i've been sticking with 2fort. If anyone knows any good 24 man servers do post the ip.

The two main Something Awful servers are great 24mans. One is no crits no spread the other is vanilla. If you're not a member, though, you'll more often than not get kicked during peak hours to make room for a member.
75.126.36.34:27015
75.126.53.140:27015

Chinner

Banned
Boonoo said:
The two main Something Awful servers are great 24mans. One is no crits no spread the other is vanilla. If you're not a member, though, you'll more often than not get kicked during peak hours to make room for a member.
75.126.36.34:27015
75.126.53.140:27015
whitelist owns.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I'll also throw in the GibbedGaming server

68.232.178.174:27015

It's a really open community there and no admin abuse. If anything, the admins are too lax, and I have to get on their case sometimes. Generally quite populated, generally a good group of people except for this 'Ketch' guy who keeps playing asshole spy! >:/

For those of you in the know...

Twig = one of the rebel fm hosts? sounds awfully similar in a monotonous cranky sort of way

THE CAT IS OUT OF THE BAG, TWIG! WE KNOW YOU WERE MONEYHATTED BY MICROSOFT AND WHY YOU TROLLED GIANTBOMB NAO!

tbh rebel fm > giantbomb though :p

T'was a good ride, while it lasted, Java! We ought to do one big crazy game night to send it off too!

Anyone else a bad enough dude to rock a Rocket Jumper, Gunboats and Pain Train on a 24/7 32 man insta-respawn RTD 2fort server?

Because it's kind of fun :p
I got 2 kills in 20 minutes :D

It's a little too spammy, and since like any stray bullet can OHKO you, it's hard to get in melee range.

I also found fall damage killed me a lot :/

Blizzard

Banned
Drkirby said:
Wish they would axe the Rocket Jumper Health Penalty.
It wasn't there originally. It's bizarre to me why they would add it, since I can't imagine there being a way to be overpowered with it. Annoying and decent if you're really good maybe, but surely not overpowered.

Yasae

Banned
Yeef said:
See the inverse of this statement is always true. If you're old
unlike Java
, nothing's loud.

"Was it 110 dB? I couldn't tell." :lol Just fucking put a jet engine in your living room... At least they keep time.

EDIT: Oh and I upgraded to a gtx 460. Let's see if I get stutters!
Magic 8 Ball says yes

Boonoo

Yasae said:
EDIT: Oh and I upgraded to a gtx 460. Let's see if I get stutters!
Magic 8 Ball says yes

That may just be your CPU. I'm able to max everything out with my 460, and it stays smooth.

I tried out a 24/7 vanilla server tonight. I got flamed basically the whole time for playing scout. :(

What sort of Vanilla server? No new items? Or just no Halloween map?

rac

Banned
Boonoo said:
That may just be your CPU. I'm able to max everything out with my 460, and it stays smooth.

What sort of Vanilla server? No new items? Or just no Halloween map?
The server said vanilla but it was just all maps except Halloween. I was using all stock weapons though.

Kuro Madoushi said:
I'll also throw in the GibbedGaming server

68.232.178.174:27015

It's a really open community there and no admin abuse. If anything, the admins are too lax, and I have to get on their case sometimes. Generally quite populated, generally a good group of people except for this 'Ketch' guy who keeps playing asshole spy! >:/
I tried out this server last night, although it wasn't until after I had left it that I made the connection that that was why you put a "GG" in your name... felt kinda stupid once I realized it...

(._.)

Banned
I have an idea. Next time when everybody is on wanting to play TF2 we all meet up in the group chat and crash another big server like a SourceOP or Lotus server (GAF STACK)

Pre-order Poker Night at the Inventory and get a new visor for Heavy

http://pc.ign.com/articles/113/1132307p1.html

Win in-game and win TF2 items including a new russian themed minigun, a new Penny Arcade watch, Lugermorph, a police badge and some Strong Bad sunglasses.

Item pics
http://pc.ign.com/dor/objects/85703...night-at-the-inventory-20101103012536797.html

•The Iron Curtain weapon for The Heavy

•Max's Lugermorph handgun for the Scout and the Engineer, along with a Freelance Police badge for any Team Fortress 2 player

•A Wrist watch from Penny Arcade's Tycho for the Spy (Pac-Man!)

•Strong Bad's styling "Dangeresque" sunglasses for the Demoman

I will pre-order when I get home :)
For 5$, it's worth it for the sick Minigun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom