• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

n0b

Kuro Madoushi said:
I guess people aren't on cause school and work is ramping up? Or they need a break from the madness that was Halloween?

The halloween update killed any interest I had in ever playing the game again. Seriously, after playing 4 hours of the same shitty manor map with everybody going crazy over worthless shit I have not even thought of running TF2. Congratulations guys (not you kuro :U), you killed the game.

n0b said:
The halloween update killed any interest I had in ever playing the game again. Seriously, after playing 4 hours of the same shitty manor map with everybody going crazy over worthless shit I have not even thought of running TF2. Congratulations guys (not you kuro :U), you killed the game.
You can play on different maps during the event

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Kuro Madoushi said:
Haven't been on due to exhaustion from work. I spend all day staring at a computer screen...last thing I want to do is come back, stare and the computer screen, and yell at noobs on my team.

I guess people aren't on cause school and work is ramping up? Or they need a break from the madness that was Halloween?
This. School takes away most of my time but I decided to take a break a week or two before the halloween update since I wanted to check out the Mann Co. update.

Javaman

Server is updated now. Thanks for shutting'er down just for the visor Valve...

6.80% downloading ./orangebox/tf/bin/server.dll
17.23% downloading ./orangebox/tf/bin/server.dylib
35.72% downloading ./orangebox/tf/bin/server.so
43.43% downloading ./orangebox/tf/maps/graphs/cp_dustbowl.ain
43.43% downloading ./orangebox/tf/maps/graphs/cp_granary.ain
43.43% downloading ./orangebox/tf/maps/graphs/cp_gravelpit.ain
43.43% downloading ./orangebox/tf/maps/graphs/cp_well.ain
43.43% downloading ./orangebox/tf/maps/graphs/ctf_2fort.ain
43.43% downloading ./orangebox/tf/maps/graphs/tc_hydro.ain
53.87% downloading ./orangebox/tf/maps/cp_manor_event.bsp
98.97% downloading ./orangebox/tf/models/player/items/heavy/ttg_visor.dx90.vtx
98.97% downloading ./orangebox/tf/models/player/items/heavy/ttg_visor.mdl
98.97% downloading ./orangebox/tf/models/player/items/heavy/ttg_visor.phy
99.02% downloading ./orangebox/tf/models/player/items/heavy/ttg_visor.vvd
99.50% downloading ./orangebox/tf/resource/tf_english.txt
99.87% downloading ./orangebox/tf/scripts/items/items_game.txt
100.00% downloading ./orangebox/tf/scripts/gamehaptics.txt
100.00% downloading ./orangebox/tf/steam.inf

Updating 'Team Fortress 2 Materials' from version 76 to version 78

100.00% downloading ./orangebox/tf/materials/backpack/player/items/all_class/halloween_bag_demo.vmt
100.00% downloading ./orangebox/tf/materials/backpack/player/items/heavy/ttg_visor.vmt
100.00% downloading ./orangebox/tf/materials/backpack/player/items/heavy/ttg_visor_large.vmt
100.00% downloading ./orangebox/tf/materials/models/player/items/heavy/ttg_visor.vmt

No work for the next week so I should be around more :)

I'm going to switch it to a top 10 rotation for the last month and have a couple of special nights dedicated to custom maps. (cashworks, warpath, castle etc). If anyone regulars want to be admins just pm me in steam. Also if anyone has any ideas for the top 10-15 list, I'm open to suggestions!

rac

Banned
n0b said:
:(
Without tf2lobby I probably wouldn't have played any tf2 at all. Please come back to gaf server people.

n0b

balladofwindfishes said:
You can play on different maps during the event

Not when the only people who you actually enjoy playing tf2 with (GAF) just grind manor even though everybody on the server had the achievements and the items.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
n0b said:
Not when the only people who you actually enjoy playing tf2 with (GAF) just grind manor even though everybody on the server had the achievements and the items.
It's over now. Come back to TF2. I miss your monotone voice.

Chinner

Banned
n0b said:
i will play different maps with you : D

n0b said:
Well except for the Mac gamers before the patch. (We couldn't get the achievements that the patch was supposed to fix)

Blizzard

Banned
n0b said:
I don't have the items and gave up on them. I tried like one more time but didn't even see the random gift like 8 times in a row, so I figured my chances were really low unless I played all the time.

Also, n0b is always mad about something, don't mind him.

Pandemic said:
Have any new updates been released lately?

I haven't been on to much, hopefully this weekend I can play a few hours worth.
Well, one was released the other night, but it was a minor one... when was the last time you were on?

Yeef

Blizzard said:
Yeah, thanks n0b, for NEVER PICKING SEVEN (at least as long as I was on the server).
Actually, when he first started I guessed 7 and it was right. You just don't have the bear-acumen that I do.

Boonoo

Traded for all my halloween masks and made Saxton Hale. Now to just cheese the metal and I'm done with that map forever!

Edit: All done! Goodbye bad event.

Nabs

anyone have an extra engie mask? it's the last one i need and i am really tired of the manor event map.

i finally crafted my familar fez :) i'm going to be a horrible saharan spy. horrible.

Boonoo

Nabs said:
anyone have an extra engie mask? it's the last one i need and i am really tired of the manor event map.

i finally crafted my familar fez :) i'm going to be a horrible saharan spy. horrible.

if you jump on #tf2trading on irc.gamesurge.net you should be able to get it for a scrap or 2.

Blizzard

Banned
Nabs said:

I think I have an engineer mask if you still don't have one.

Blizzard

Banned
Nabs said:
i have a long list of vint. weaps if you need something. will be on the server later
I'll probably be on the server at some point. I PM'd you on Steam if you want it earlier while I'm still around.

Pandemic

Drkirby said:
Nope. I don't expect it till Valve gets rid of the Source Engine and makes a new one.
I'm surprised they haven't decided to create a new one, I thought Team Fortress 2 was a popular game, and received good review scores...

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Pandemic said:
I'm surprised they haven't decided to create a new one, I thought Team Fortress 2 was a popular game, and received good review scores...
What could they change about the game to upgrade it at the moment?

Drkirby said:
What could they change about the game to upgrade it at the moment?
And once you answer that question, think: does that upgrade justify an entire new game being made, or can it just be patched in in an update?

Blizzard

Banned
cooljeanius said:
And once you answer that question, think: does that upgrade justify an entire new game being made, or can it just be patched in in an update?
And then you have a l4d1 vs. l4d2 situation. If they update the AI director in TF2 to TF3, and give us four new classes, is that REALLY enough of an upgrade?!?!!! :D

I just spent $10 on keys, and got four completely normal weapons.

I'm sorry, but all the credit they got for doing free updates all these years is gone, I'm sure plenty of people have paid off their TF3. No, I didn't have to buy these keys or the items and keys before, but it's pretty obvious they're constantly psyching up the community with these new and rare items you can only get by interacting with the store, yet throwing $10 into their lottery pool doesn't even net me a normal hat? And this isn't the first time I've bought keys, but I figured out of four crates I'd get something worthwhile.

I know that sounds ungrateful, but the next time someone brings up what a favor Valve did for us for all these updates, remind them that if the 50/50 split was true, Valve took in over $400,000, just on the Polycount items, just for the first two weeks, that's not counting hats, keys, paint, or anything else. It was a great kindness (and a good business strategy) before, but I find it hard to consider it one now.

Blizzard

Banned
Kulock said:
I just spent $10 on keys, and got four completely normal weapons.

I'm sorry, but all the credit they got for doing free updates all these years is gone, I'm sure plenty of people have paid off their TF3. No, I didn't have to buy these keys or the items and keys before, but it's pretty obvious they're constantly psyching up the community with these new and rare items you can only get by interacting with the store, yet throwing $10 into their lottery pool doesn't even net me a normal hat? And this isn't the first time I've bought keys, but I figured out of four crates I'd get something worthwhile.

I know that sounds ungrateful, but the next time someone brings up what a favor Valve did for us for all these updates, remind them that if the 50/50 split was true, Valve took in over $400,000, just on the Polycount items, just for the first two weeks, that's not counting hats, keys, paint, or anything else. It was a great kindness (and a good business strategy) before, but I find it hard to consider it one now.
So if you're saying you want more crates, I have a series 4. It might contain a heavy dew rag (I think), or some paint if you're lucky. :D

Spire said:
:lol

I love crate fury.

"u mad bro" etc.

Seriously, saying "I love crate fury" doesn't change the fact that they're hyping up these items as a major part of the game nowadays, yet they've made them expensive and miserable to obtain. And that they've banked some serious amount of money selling these items. Not enough to necessarily fund a "new" game, but this isn't really a new game to begin with, and they were already supposedly happy with the sales each new major update brought in as it was.

Blizzard

Banned
Kulock said:
"u mad bro" etc.

Seriously, saying "I love crate fury" doesn't change the fact that they're hyping up these items as a major part of the game nowadays, yet they've made them expensive and miserable to obtain. And that they've banked some serious amount of money selling these items. Not enough to necessarily fund a "new" game, but this isn't really a new game to begin with, and they were already supposedly happy with the sales each new major update brought in as it was.
People may just make fun of you for it, but I don't really recall anyone saying "I'm glad that crates require paid keys to open", so in that sense they hopefully agree with you.

If every time you tried to craft a hat from your hard-earned (or idled) metal, you got a token that could be redeemed for any hat you wanted, would anyone be upset? It would prevent you from getting hats faster than a certain rate, in theory, but it would also let you actually get a hat you want.

If keys dropped randomly, about as often or less often than crates, would anyone here complain?

If the answer to either or both of these questions is no, then I would say yes, Valve obviously tried something and found it very lucrative.

Pandemic

Just played a bit of Team Fortress 2, it's pretty good. I haven't tried out the trade system yet, but looks like a great addition.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
I purchased keys... never again. What a waste of money. May as well go gambling.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Lyphen said:
:lol I love it when people buy keys but don't expect disappointment.

I was expecting more than crappy normal weapons. 10 dollars isn't going to break the bank or anything, but I won't be purchasing anything else.

More like, I have over 600 hours played in this game, won't hurt to throw a few more dollars at them considering the game was 20 dollars.

Yeef

With keys, crates and everything that comes from crates being tradeable there's little reason to spend money. If you're looking for weapons trade the crates for them. if you're looking for keys trade for them. If you're looking for a specific hat either trade for it of buy it (probably still cheaper than what you'd end up spending on keys). If you're looking for unusual hats trade for them (at a high cost to you!) If you're impatient, greedy and/or feeling lucky then you don't really have anyone to blame but yourself.

That's not to say I think crates are perfect as they are. I think they should always contain either two weapons or one non-weapon that way if they're weapons you don't need/want you can still use them to make scrap.

Also, keep in mind that most 'normal' weapons are $2.50 from the store anyway. It's sort of like buying a lotto ticket and then winning the equivalent value in gift certificates. It sucks, but it's better than the real lotto where you win nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom