• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
I think they're going to add a recipe to craft keys. It won't be cheap, there will still be incentive to buy keys but I think they'll add something.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Chinner said:
yes....just like the the competitive heavy...
Sigh

OK, unless you've actually seen one play, there's not much else I can say. I HAVE played with 2 competitive demoknights. They have incredible aim with the pipe bombs and are deadly accurate with that retarded charge. (boonoo, if you're lurking, I'm referring to Sye...and Sher, whom you probably don't know, but might have seen or heard)

Hell, just as a joke, I told one of them to go Axeknight just for shits and giggles on TF2Lobby, and he massacred the other team.

I still think stickies are better than targe, but again, you said they aren't credit to team, whereas I say they're monsters in the right hands.

As for comp heavies, I do know they're in the Euro leagues, but I haven't personally met any competent ones here.

Remy

So for something resembling happy news...

The friend of mine who hosts my web server offered to spin up a VM so that we won't be TF2-homeless. I'm working on tweaking the config and whatnot with help from Java, so hopefully things will be pretty smooth when the existing server ends at the end of the month.

Stay tuned for more details!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Spire said:
I think they're going to add a recipe to craft keys. It won't be cheap, there will still be incentive to buy keys but I think they'll add something.
Yeah, they ether have to turn the crate drops down, or allow for craftable keys. Probably both, I could not find anyone for hours on different servers yesterday willing to give more then 1 weapon per crate, and kept having people try to offer me crates in place of scrap metal for a bunch of stuff. And it will likely get worse, the average player tends to get 1 or 2 crates a week, and there are people who have dozens of crates.

Nappers is still not worth anything, people keep trying super low offers like "Two Refined, Two Scrap", "Three Scrap and a paint bucket". I would just craft it away rather then go for something so meager, and will just hold onto the second one till series 1 crates are gone from this world and people get this "Nappers = worthless" idea out of their head.

Yeef

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!

005_professor.png

With my cunning alone I have done what Javaman couldn't and got off-server downloads working on the GAF server. That means we can play custom maps like Panic and Cashworks without having to worry about the server dying. Of course, people may be quitting just because they don't like those maps, not because they can't download them, but in any case we can find maps that we all like and add them to the server!

Both AcciDante and myself tested it out and it worked perfectly. Evidence below!

Xvp8f.jpg

Also, thanks to Java for giving me rcon access so I could get this all set up.

[Edit] Also, I have an FTP account setup so that Java and the other admins can upload maps whenever they feel like it. I'll be PMing the details to the other admins onc ei figure out who they are.

DogWelder

I can top frag with axeknight on certain maps and it's fun as Hell too. It also makes you much better at aiming with your pipes.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I wonder if the trend of gifting games for TF2 Metal will catch on, would be sort of nice to cash my Metal in for a cheap Steam game :lol

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Kuro Madoushi said:
:p don't take his play on pubs as any indication

notsol....hmmmmmmmmmm....if you want to trade, hit me up

okay, I'll base it on hearsay. =p

(._.)

Banned
Well back to just normal TF2. Things seem to have calmed down a bit since both of those back to back updates are now over. Wonder if we will be getting another update in 2010.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
(._.) said:
Well back to just normal TF2. Things seem to have calmed down a bit since both of those back to back updates are now over. Wonder if we will be getting another update in 2010.
Gimme my goddamn Pyro shotgun fix update, Valve.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Iadien said:
okay, I'll base it on hearsay. =p

His record

UGC Season 1 5th place
UGC Season 2 Runner-Up
TWL Season 4 Division 1a - Playoffs Round 1
Cevo Season 4 (7-5-0) 10th Place
GT Gamefest '09 Champions
F7Lans Winter '10 Champions
Intel LANFest ATL Winter '10 Champions

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
(._.) said:
Most likely, I am pretty sure Valve said the Boss wasn't the new mode they were talking about. Also, we still haven't got the Jag wrench or the 6th poly set (Which is rumored to be a Medic Set)

Boonoo

Kuro Madoushi said:
Sigh

OK, unless you've actually seen one play, there's not much else I can say. I HAVE played with 2 competitive demoknights. They have incredible aim with the pipe bombs and are deadly accurate with that retarded charge. (boonoo, if you're lurking, I'm referring to Sye...and Sher, whom you probably don't know, but might have seen or heard)

Hell, just as a joke, I told one of them to go Axeknight just for shits and giggles on TF2Lobby, and he massacred the other team.

I still think stickies are better than targe, but again, you said they aren't credit to team, whereas I say they're monsters in the right hands.

As for comp heavies, I do know they're in the Euro leagues, but I haven't personally met any competent ones here.

If you're going to look at comp demoknighting you might as well look at Solidsnake--he played it a lot in the past ESEA lan, and then his team lost. It just isn't nearly as effective or versatile as vanilla demo.

You can't judge the demoknights on lobbies, though, since they are filled with horrible players playing horribly. And the demoknight will be ok against them because the scouts can't aim and the soldier don't know how to use shotguns. As you play against better people it's less and less useful.

As for heavies. With them its not even a question of usefulness (they're very useful in certain situations). It's that they are boring to play and even more boring to fight, so no one wants them around.

Ugh, I've been trying to use TF2Items for trading, and it seemed like a great interface at first, but 1. There's no way I can find to set "Vintage", so I've had lots of people try to throw normal Homewreckers at me, and 2. Lots of people are set to trade for the Old Guadalajara, but are mocking assholes the moment you ask about it because it's one of the more common hats right now. I've had people fucking laugh at me, because my little digital hat wasn't good enough to trade for their little digital hat. TF2Items definitely needs some way of grading how badly a person wants an item, because I'm already sick of trying the trade list and getting treatment like this, when it's obvious some people are just marking everything so they show up on the trade matches.

webrunner

Kulock said:
Ugh, I've been trying to use TF2Items for trading, and it seemed like a great interface at first, but 1. There's no way I can find to set "Vintage", so I've had lots of people try to throw normal Homewreckers at me, and 2. Lots of people are set to trade for the Old Guadalajara, but are mocking assholes the moment you ask about it because it's one of the more common hats right now. I've had people fucking laugh at me, because my little digital hat wasn't good enough to trade for their little digital hat. TF2Items definitely needs some way of grading how badly a person wants an item, because I'm already sick of trying the trade list and getting treatment like this, when it's obvious some people are just marking everything so they show up on the trade matches.

What are you trading for a Vintage Homewrecker? It's one of the few things I have extras of: http://www.tf2items.com/id/webrunner

I'm certainly willing to part with one to get something I don't already have.

moojito

I got a new cpu and cranked everything up to high. It looks great! Big difference between the low and high settings. Got a spiffy 6-kill chain stab on goldrush stage 1 to celebrate! :D

Yeef said:
Tf2 items is terrible for trading. Try TF2 Trading Post.

Yeah, that looks a lot better, thank you. I still won't have much luck trading off this hat for anything decent, I'm sure, but at least I can see who's more likely to trade directly here, instead of canvasing the whole selection of hats and really not caring about some of them.

webrunner said:
What are you trading for a Vintage Homewrecker? It's one of the few things I have extras of: http://www.tf2items.com/id/webrunner

I'm certainly willing to part with one to get something I don't already have.

I'll PM you, thanks.

Boonoo

Forkball said:
Yeah I like this site, it's easy to manage and it's good to see what people are trading for. Although there are some crazy people, like this guy:

From what I understand that's pretty common. Some people are paying 100-200 bucks for nice unusuals.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yeef said:
Yeah, lots of the text on that site is amusing.

Site's working fine for me. I literally just did a trade through it with no issues.
So you got a bergade helm for Nappers? Thats not bad.

Trying to get a solder hat for mine, I doubt I'll have any takers though.

Forkball

I finally got Your Eternal Reward. I traded a Dueling Minigame for it. Not sure which is more rare, but I do know that I will never ever use that dueling thing, so it was like getting the knife for free.

Yeef

Drkirby said:
So you got a bergade helm for Nappers? Thats not bad.

Trying to get a solder hat for mine, I doubt I'll have any takers though.
Nope, got a Sniper hatless. I don't really care too much about hat value so long as I can get the hats I like.

Yeef said:
Nope, got a Sniper hatless. I don't really care too much about hat value so long as I can get the hats I like.

Other than wanting to get Set Bonus hats (if you already play Milkman Scout, why wouldn't you want an extra 25 HP?), I agree. After today I could not give less of a damn about the Meta-Economy of TF2 hats. Already way too many people stuck-up about trading.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Boonoo said:
If you're going to look at comp demoknighting you might as well look at Solidsnake--he played it a lot in the past ESEA lan, and then his team lost. It just isn't nearly as effective or versatile as vanilla demo.

You can't judge the demoknights on lobbies, though, since they are filled with horrible players playing horribly. And the demoknight will be ok against them because the scouts can't aim and the soldier don't know how to use shotguns. As you play against better people it's less and less useful.

As for heavies. With them its not even a question of usefulness (they're very useful in certain situations). It's that they are boring to play and even more boring to fight, so no one wants them around.

You shaddap boonoo! Lobbies AND scrims with crappy teams too!

I agree vanilla demo is certainly 'better' and if I had to choose a role for my demoman, given comp restrictions, I'd definitely pick stickies over chargin tard. My point is they 'can' be credit to team. It just seems people haven't been able to adjust to playing to properly yet.

Yeef

Drkirby said:
What is the pros and cons of the Scottish Resistance over the normal sticky bomb launcher?
The resistance is designed for defense. The stickies take longer to become active and you have to be looking at them to make them explode.

Pros are that you can lay much more stickies (14 vs. 8), it shoots faster and you can destroy enemy stickies with your explosions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom