• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Javaman

I'm going to move the server to another location in a bit if this next reboot doesn't work. What a whiny little bitch move he pulled.

Should be back up within an hour or so at a different IP.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
enzo_gt said:
What's gonna happen to the server when the Online forum goes public?
It will be populated more often? I mean, GAF is in the server's name after all, its not like we are trying to hide it.

Yeef

Javaman already pre-emptively decided to close the server once online goes public. He's obviously a psychic.

The server IP was already fairly public and there's nothing wrong with having more people to play with so long as they have mics.

Forkball

Well the new IP was posted on the Neogaf TF2 Steam group, so everyone in the group should already know about it.

Anyways, I found like seven items yesterday, but none today. However I did finally get a hat yesterday, the Sergeant's Drill Hat. I traded it for the Pyro Sombrero, but now I kind of want paint for it so I can... my god, WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO ME?

Boonoo

Well holy shit y'all. We won our highlander match. It looks like they're doing 2 weeks per round, and if we win our next 2 rounds we may play a good team. One of the SA teams is in the same bracket that we are, so if things drag on long enough they might get a bit fun.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Boonoo said:
Well holy shit y'all. We won our highlander match. It looks like they're doing 2 weeks per round, and if we win our next 2 rounds we may play a good team. One of the SA teams is in the same bracket that we are, so if things drag on long enough they might get a bit fun.
demo?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I liked how the other team asked for a do over for the very final round trying to say all their players weren't in the game. They finally wised up to our plan of just rushing A, but due to them going all out on A then, me, a scout, and a snipper were able to capture B without much hassle at all. They could of used a better engineer also.

rac

Banned
Drkirby said:
I liked how the other team asked for a do over for the very final round trying to say all their players weren't in the game. They finally wised up to our plan of just rushing A, but due to them going all out on A then, me, a scout, and a snipper were able to capture B without much hassle at all. They could of used a better engineer also.
A scout kirby. You couldn't even remember my name :U.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Kuro Madoushi said:
Meh, we just rolled them so it wasn't a big deal.

Here's mine, feedback is welcome. I mainly tried to damage and take out their medic while spamming everywhere. Heavies hurt.
Quote post to view.

*1st starts at 23000 tick.
**Forgot to add in the second gravelpit match, had a different name, added that.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
rac said:
A scout kirby. You couldn't even remember my name :U.
No, I forgot who the snipper was, and I wasn't about to type out "Rac, as a Scout, and a Sniper I can't remember the name to..."

Boonoo

Kuro Madoushi said:

Nothing worth a demo. Highlander has a strange dynamic. I could almost see it being pretty neat, but as it is now (especially with the maps we play) it's just more or less pub games with slightly better coms and class limits. I think that if it was actually played competitively you would really need a strong team leader to direct the battle. With that many people it isn't nearly as fluid as 6v6.

Pet was sniper.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Boonoo said:
Nothing worth a demo. Highlander has a strange dynamic. I could almost see it being pretty neat, but as it is now (especially with the maps we play) it's just more or less pub games with slightly better coms and class limits. I think that if it was actually played competitively you would really need a strong team leader to direct the battle. With that many people it isn't nearly as fluid as 6v6.

Pet was sniper.
Ah, thats right. I remember exchanging some banter with him while capturing the point wondering where the Red team was, I think he said something to the effect of "I killed them all" in a way to imply they just didn't put up much of a fight.

Highlander right now seems to be both unorganized, and it has so many people in it that it is unlikely till the last few rounds for it to get tough. Plus, as far as I can tell, its somehow a fairly new concept (Despite it being fricking obvious!)

Boonoo

Drkirby said:
Ah, thats right. I remember exchanging some banter with him while capturing the point wondering where the Red team was, I think he said something to the effect of "I killed them all" in a way to imply they just didn't put up much of a fight.

Highlander right now seems to be both unorganized, and it has so many people in it that it is unlikely till the last few rounds for it to get tough. Plus, as far as I can tell, its somehow a fairly new concept (Despite it being fricking obvious!)

Naw it's been around for a while. Probably a couple years. It's just in an odd place because the comp community sticks to 6v6, and it's hard to get pub servers organized into it.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Just keep the core of the team together (heavy/med/soldier) try to poke with demo/scout/pyro (I think a good pyro would be amazing), support classes do their thing.

I've never played comp, but I'd think something like that would work for highlander.
As it is just don't die and protect the medic.

*I just realized there were no crits :lol

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yeah, a Pyro heckling the enemy team at spawn delaying 2 or 3 players seemed to be helpful. Plus, the bad players are the ones who tend to die faster, which makes it easier for me to stay alive doing it :p

I still think the Backburner is a good choice on map with no spots to push an enemy off though, since you only have 1 Demo and 1 Solder that have reflectable projectiles. Plus, with no random crits, it makes it much easier to get behind a solder and kill him within a second.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Drkirby said:
Yeah, a Pyro heckling the enemy team at spawn delaying 2 or 3 players seemed to be helpful. Plus, the bad players are the ones who tend to die faster, which makes it easier for me to stay alive doing it :p

I still think the Backburner is a good choice on map with no spots to push an enemy off though, since you only have 1 Demo and 1 Solder that have reflectable projectiles. Plus, with no random crits, it makes it much easier to get behind a solder and kill him within a second.
Um...no...

Airblast >>>> Backburner

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Kuro Madoushi said:
Um...no...

Airblast >>>> Backburner
I told Kirby this but he said he can't airblast stuff. :[

We had someone really good at Demo I'd play Pyro just to airblast everything. It's so important. Airblasting rockets and spam pipes away keeps that medic alive!
Delay that uber!
Protect your team!

*And a soldier and demo is like 75% of the way your medic dies.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I'll figure out how to airblast one day. Likely that will be 15 minutes after I get a new computer and I have constant 60FPS instead of jerky 20.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Drkirby said:
I'll figure out how to airblast one day. Likely that will be 15 minutes after I get a new computer and I have constant 60FPS instead of jerky 20.
Go practice on tr_walkway! Or something.

Close range is just reaction to the shot. When I see flash / sound, right click.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Hazaro said:
Go practice on tr_walkway! Or something.

Close range is just reaction to the shot. When I see flash / sound, right click.
I kind of just guess when I'm in close range. When I see a soldier shooting four rockets and then does his reload animation, I'm going to assume he's going to shoot a rocket right as soon as he reloads one rocket since most soldiers will shoot it right after instead of bothering to wait to reload it with two or three rockets. This is for pubs anyway. Hell, most people don't even bother switching to their secondaries.

Hazaro said:
Meh, we just rolled them so it wasn't a big deal.

Here's mine, feedback is welcome. I mainly tried to damage and take out their medic while spamming everywhere. Heavies hurt.
Quote post to view.

*1st starts at 23000 tick.
**Forgot to add in the second gravelpit match, had a different name, added that.
OK, so now that I've downloaded it, how do I play it? I tried opening the file with TF2, but when TF2 starts up, nothing happens...

Yeef

I'll trade my non-vintage crit-a-cola for your service medal. :]

In all honesty, for simple trades like that you could probably find a trade in 2 seconds on tf2tp.com

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I'll do it for the Service Medal, but really, the vintage version of Crit a Cola is just rare, due to its really low drop rate.

Twig

Banned
I think most tags are delivered to people who venture into the Off-Topic portion of GAF, from what I can tell, and I only very rarely do that. Only those of exceptional quality manage to get a tag on the Gaming side.

Twig

Banned
Boonoo said:
That's a lie. Nobody likes Dustbowl.
I like Dustbowl; I just don't like playing it every single night - sometimes twice. Same goes for all those "popular" maps. I've explained my position on this a million times though, and still people don't get it.

*cries*

It was perfect before Java RUINED the rotation. ):

Ultimatum

Banned
I played medic in the highlander game, was pretty fun. Although when it got to gravelpit, I think they just gave up lol.

and the demoman was nero btw, he's actually pretty good

Yeef

I was going to wait a few days before posting this, but I'm at work and bored out of my skull so I'll just do it now.

Both Remy and I (independently) were planning to continue the GAF server after Java quit like the quitting quitter that he is. I was planning to just keep the same current server and take over from Javaman while Remy has a friend that already has a webserver available that we could use to run a Virtual Machine that would host the TF2 server. I'm curious to see which path you guys are most interested in.

Stick with Gameservers
Pros:
  • Everything all setup and ready to go. Essentially nothing changes other than the person paying for it.
  • Gameservers' cpanel interface is extremely easy to use.
  • We keep the same IP address (seems like less of an issue now that it's just changed anyway)
  • Server is on the East Coast, so cool people have great ping.

Cons:
  • More expensive. ;(
  • Java said he had trouble getting SourceMod to work on the server which is why he runs ManiMod instead. Not a huge deal, but SourceMod is cool.
  • Uncool people will probably have 100+ ping.

Move server
Pros:
  • Cheaper ;D
  • Server is located in East Texas, so both cool and uncool people should have decent ping. (You can test it out now by pinging tf2.langui.sh)

Cons:
  • Another IP change so soon is pretty annoying, but not a huge deal.
  • Server maintenance will require a little more effort.
  • That Remy guy is a shifty character. Are we sure he can be trusted?

Two servers
The idea here would be to have both servers and have each redirect to the other when someone tries to join and it's full.

Pros:
  • Choice is always good. You can play where your ping is the best, or where the map most suits your taste.

Cons:
  • Not sure that GAF could sustain two servers. The server we have now is full for two or three hours a day and empty otherwise.
  • Could split our beloved community in twain.
  • Most expensive option. D;

I haven't spoken to Remy about this yet, but whatever the case we'll likely be rejiggering admin privileges. That likely means adding more admins, but may also mean removing some. I'm also going to look into the Steam web API and creating a website for recommending custom maps, polls and all that kind of stuff.

Now then, I demand feedback! In the form of text, images and hypertext markup!

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Move server, only because we have people from all over the place playing so I suppose the ping will average around the same for everybody. I don't think our community is strong enough to support two different servers and like you said, it'd split our already small community even further.

Not that I'm on all that often, but I've never heard of like more than three people waiting to get on and I don't think changing the IP address is a big deal now that it's changed anyway.

If the server is moved, will the new server run SourceMod? And what type of costs are we talking about in general?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
The hell, people want hats for V. Crit A Cola?

Guess I'm just going to ask for a Kritz so I can simply craft my own. Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom