• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultimatum

Banned
hmm I have a vintage crit a cola

I'll take 5 hats for it

and about the server, just go for the server run by remy's friend, seems like the better option

Oreoleo

Ultimatum said:
and about the server, just go for the server run by remy's friend, seems like the better option

Agreed, as long as remy's friend isn't a jerk who doesn't give anyone else admin access and lord's it over everyone else.

But SourceMod+cheaper price seems like a no-brainer.

Twig

Banned
As long as the server is on ROTATION and not VOTE-EVERY-MAP and OF COURSE has a GOOD rotation CAPSLOCK, I don't care what happens.

Also, I am required to have admin power so I can grief people who annoy me. O;

Milabrega

Certainly no need for two servers, as said we only fill up for 2-3 hours a night and even then its not a long wait to get in. Just need a few more people who can send out event notices a little earlier than they do, server usually fills up real fast when that happens.

As long as Steel and Badwater are there I'm happy.

Remy

Just to answer a couple of questions:

- The VM is what it sounds like: full blown VM, running Linux, we can do what we like with it. That can mean SSH and SFTP access for those that need it.
- My friend is not a jerk and has been running these sorts of things for ages. (My website has been on his hosting company for the last 6 years or so.) I don't think he particular cares who has admins so long as it isn't everyone under the sun (and the admins are not, in fact, jerks). There are other GAFfers (japtor and Rummy Bunnz) who can vouch for him because we all run in the same circle. (Also he's in the queue for a GAF account but who knows how long that will take.)
- The server is current running ManiMod but if we'd rather do SourceMod we can get that in place. He just installed ManiMod because he was used to it from running CS:S.
- I should be trusted because you guys who have played with me know I am terrible as spy. I mean fuck, I'm lucky to get a single backstab before I switch back to Scoot.

Yes, server updates may be a little tougher without a nice control panel to do it through, but we'll get this covered as best we can.

Oh yeah, the server is actually up already if people want to check their pings. tf2.langui.sh - I haven't renamed it to anything GAF-y yet because I didn't want to confuse people searching for servers until after The Java Ship sailed off into the night.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'll vote for the Texas server.

Jankyness not a big problem. Just gotta update the server when a patch hits right?

Javaman

Remy said:
Oh yeah, the server is actually up already if people want to check their pings. tf2.langui.sh - I haven't renamed it to anything GAF-y yet because I didn't want to confuse people searching for servers until after The Java Ship sailed off into the night.

Might as well go for it now. There's no cut and dry date for me to stop the current server since they don't have anything set up to cancel the account. You have to open a tech support ticket to do so. Total weak sauce.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm...texas as well...though I think my ping will suck.

Welcome back, Twig! Tired of just sitting at home getting all the MS moneyhats, eh?

Boonoo

I hopped on the Texas server and it seems real decent--good server fps and what not.

Big thanks to Java for keeping his running for so long.

Yeef

Boonoo said:
I hopped on the Texas server and it seems real decent--good server fps and what not.
I'd like to see what it's like when it's full. I just checked it out myself. My ping was about 45~50 which is about the same as Java's server, but it would randomly shoot up to 150 for about 5 seconds or so.

I say we try to get a full server and play a couple of rounds to stress test it. It seems pretty solid now and I'd be glad to not pay gameservers.

Blizzard

Banned
Thanks for the server, Java.

Twig said:
Also, I am required to have admin power so I can grief people who annoy me. O;
But then I have to be admin too so I can be the only power standing between Twig and global domination. ;_;

Also, looks like my ping shall be much worse! I haven't been playing at all but maybe I shall play even LESS. Dun dun dunnnn?

corn_fest

Couldn't play long, but the server seemed fine- slightly higher ping (east coast), but totally playable. I'll hop back on later if it gets more full to help stress test.

Yeef

Poor, deluded fools.

Server seems good. We didn't manage to get it full, but we were halfway and it was running fine.

Remy

So outside the weird "unnamed has joined the server" glitch (and my TF2 generally running like shit tonight), we seem in decent shape. I've added a handful of trusted folks as having admin rights, and will add a few more over the next few days as I figure out who gets what. Mani flags are confusing as shit.

Source mod may have to wait a few days, but we'll work at it.

Twig

Banned
Remy said:
So outside the weird "unnamed has joined the server" glitch (and my TF2 generally running like shit tonight), we seem in decent shape. I've added a handful of trusted folks as having admin rights, and will add a few more over the next few days as I figure out who gets what. Mani flags are confusing as shit.

Source mod may have to wait a few days, but we'll work at it.
'Preciate it, Doc!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ultimatum said:
I played medic in the highlander game, was pretty fun. Although when it got to gravelpit, I think they just gave up lol.

and the demoman was nero btw, he's actually pretty good
I don't think they gave up, I think they were just were not up to our team's level. The shear fact they asked for a do over of the very final match and then tired to counter our "Everyone Rush A!" plan by leaving B nearly defenseless shows that.

- I should be trusted because you guys who have played with me know I am terrible as spy. I mean fuck, I'm lucky to get a single backstab before I switch back to Scoot.
Oh god I am so bad as a spy too, but like others have said its fun to play. My record is two back stabs before being killed, I am improving, I am up from 1!

Oh, and I vote for your server.

Might as well go for it now. There's no cut and dry date for me to stop the current server since they don't have anything set up to cancel the account. You have to open a tech support ticket to do so. Total weak sauce.
"Hello, tech support? Yes, I stopped paying for this server 3 years ago, do you think you can just pull the plug already?"

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
cooljeanius said:
Thanks! Was interesting to see how people from the GAF server play differently when it's competitive.
Highlander is rather uneventful actually.

It's weird since you only have 1 of each class it feels like there's a ton less to worry about.
My demo is just me spamming, and maybe 3 or so close calls.

You can fly around a bit in the demo using some command so you aren't locked to my view as well.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Hazaro said:
If twig has admin we will just get dustbowl locked due to a 'technical' error.
Just make me admin. Sure, the map rotation will mysteriously have Hightower show up far more often then it should, but at least Dustbowl will remain. I like Dustbowl, mainly because I love three round attack and defend maps.

Yeef

Couple of things:

For some reason the server randomly became arena-only unless I manually changed the map.

The time after the round ends (humiliation/map change) is way too short.

Admins need rcon and/or ftp access so we can add some good custom maps and edit the rotation.

Also, MUJU is a butt.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
For some reason the server randomly became arena-only unless I manually changed the map.
Its a feature! But really, its nice to know this server at least has the arena maps on it in case we do want to play them, always bugged me Java just never put them on his sever.

Also also find it bit ironic the server emptied out in Mountain Lab like how before the Gaf server emptied out at Harvest.

Javaman

Drkirby said:
Its a feature! But really, its nice to know this server at least has the arena maps on it in case we do want to play them, always bugged me Java just never put them on his sever.

Also also find it bit ironic the server emptied out in Mountain Lab like how before the Gaf server emptied out at Harvest.

They've always been on the server, just not in the rotation.

Twig

Banned
Hazaro said:
If twig has admin we will just get dustbowl locked due to a 'technical' error.
I have admin on Java's server and I've literally never once changed the map if there was anyone saying not to.

I've threatened to do it who even knows how many times, but I'm not an ass. U:

ALSO: BUTS

Clydefrog

My arrows are slightly less accurate even in a Texas server. I may just stick to my CA server where I get 10 ping unless there's an event happening in the Texas server.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Drkirby said:
I love harvest, but about half the time it was the map the server empied out at.
Because people have terrible taste in maps. What's that? I can't hear you over how awesome Badwater is.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Have people come to terms that High Tower is one of the most fun maps in the game yet, or are they still to hung up about it "Always stalemating!"

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
I like all of the maps released in the Polycount update. I play Thunder Mountain and Upward all the time.

(._.)

Banned
Hopefully we get some great maps with the next update. Last major map update was really good. I haven't played Upward in a while though.

Yeef

I'm not a big fan of the last point of upward, but other than that I love it.

Hightower before the patch that made the carts move faster uphill was terrible. Matches would last literally 40 minutes to an hour some times. I think part of it was the fact that it came with the engineer update so there were always 5 engineers on each team.

After the patch and with much fewer engineers these days it's great.

Clydefrog

What map is this?

- It's a cart map.
- I think it starts with the cart flying down from a really high track (like a rollercoaster.)
- The second part of the map starts with a wall being exploded by dynamite.
- The last part of the map has the each team's cart parallel to each other. You have to push the cart up to some big speaker/jukebox thing. If no one on your team pushes the cart in this part of the map, the cart slowly moves down the track until it ultimately falls off a ledge and you lose.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yeef said:
I'm not a big fan of the last point of upward, but other than that I love it.

Hightower before the patch that made the carts move faster uphill was terrible. Matches would last literally 40 minutes to an hour some times. I think part of it was the fact that it came with the engineer update so there were always 5 engineers on each team.

After the patch and with much fewer engineers these days it's great.
I find it so odd now going to high tower and wondering "Where are all the Sentry guns?" in public servers.

Twig

Banned
Clydefrog said:
What map is this?

- It's a cart map.
- I think it starts with the cart flying down from a really high track (like a rollercoaster.)
- The second part of the map starts with a wall being exploded by dynamite.
- The last part of the map has the each team's cart parallel to each other. You have to push the cart up to some big speaker/jukebox thing. If no one on your team pushes the cart in this part of the map, the cart slowly moves down the track until it ultimately falls off a ledge and you lose.
I know what you're talking about but don't remember the name.

I like that map.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom