• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Revolutionary said:
Maybe they'll be openable from the 25th until the 31st, then?
Exactly what I think. They'll drop and still be open-able fromt he 15th to 31st in case people are out on their respective holidays with plans and whatnot. A one day way to redeem your gifts would suck for people who can't redeem on that day.

It must be a hat. Or a hat must be a common drop anyways.

Blizzard

Banned
I hope I get a winter crate, but I haven't been playing much!

I did finally get my first two 100% completions on class achievements though. I got the headshotting sniper achievement to complete the spy ones, and I got the pyromancer achievement to complete the pyro ones.

I would have all the heavy ones but the one about killing people carrying your intel may be glitched, 2 percent away from 100%. ;_;

Twig

Banned
I don't have 100% on any classes!

Blizzard is a better player cheesemint farmer than me, confirmed at launch. ):

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I am close to 100% on Pyro. I need to still kill a few more people underwater (More water in stages valve please!), and I have to rack up to 1 Million Flame Damage, which I have half of.

I have 100% on Spy, and I'm only missing 1 achievement on both Sniper (Baux and Arrows), and Pyro (Fire Chief, or whatever the do a million damage one is)

Just a note also

White and Black paint can currently not be found. Crate series 1-5 have been discontinued, meaning there's no crates left that have white or black in them.

Javaman

balladofwindfishes said:
I have 100% on Spy, and I'm only missing 1 achievement on both Sniper (Baux and Arrows), and Pyro (Fire Chief, or whatever the do a million damage one is)

Just a note also

White and Black paint can currently not be found. Crate series 1-5 have been discontinued, meaning there's no crates left that have white or black in them.

I'm sure there are TONS out there sitting unredeemed.

Yeef

My highest is 2 missing on Scout (5 First Blood kills and environmental kill with sandman ball).

My lowest is demoman, who is missing 14.

Also, I was playing with netgraph on and my ping there was much higher (more than double) than what the scoreboard said my ping was. I don't like that at all!

Boonoo

platypotamus said:
My closest is Heavy with 29/38.

My farthest is Scout with 1/38 (I ran 25 km, lol)

How did you play that much without getting any of the others?

My highest is 2 missing on Scout (5 First Blood kills and environmental kill with sandman ball).

The 5 First Blood Kills is pretty easy since you don't have to get them all in the same first blood. The environmental kill ones are a pain in the ass, though.

On Scout I think I just have the environmental kill and stun a bunch of people on the cart. Hate using the sandman.

It seems like the crate drop rate is going to have to be drastically lowered, keys made cheaper, or make the crates craftable into metal because the disparity between crates dropped and crates opened has to be growing larger every day.

Twig

Banned
Well if you want to find someone willing to open a crate, it's not hard.

I'm just collecting them because I'm weird. U:

Forkball

I think the crate drops are much lower than when they first introduced them. It was like item, crate, item, crate, crate, crate, crate, item. Now I rarely get one. But now I want that festive crate. I never thought Valve could make me actually want a crate drop, but by god they did it.

Yeef

Boonoo said:
The 5 First Blood Kills is pretty easy since you don't have to get them all in the same first blood.
It's actually pretty hard since I don't play arena. I only got the other one because the GAF server somehow reverted to an arena-only server one night.

Foul Territory seems like it shouldn't be too hard if you go out of your way to get it, but I don't intend to do that.

vanty

Just played Mountain Lab I think it's called. This is the other map from the Halloween update I'm assuming. It looks amazing, and of my 30+ favourite server list today was the first time I've seen it appear. Yet there are usually a couple servers playing Egypt with at least 20 players in each...

My highest achievement count is for pyro wth 36/38. About 2/3s of the way to 1 million fire damage, and haven't tried to go for the 6 axe kills one since failing a few times in the days following the class update. Medic is lowest I think, only 20 or so, just got the First No Harm one today attacking on a 32p goldrush server.

Blizzard

Banned
I didn't get cheesemints tonight, but I got a wintry crate, so I'm all set. Or I would be, if I could find anyone who wanted to give me a hat for my extra pointy medic hat. QQ

Twig

Banned
Blizzard said:
I didn't get cheesemints tonight, but I got a wintry crate, so I'm all set. Or I would be, if I could find anyone who wanted to give me a hat for my extra pointy medic hat. QQ
i will make you a hat out of newspaper and mail it to you

I used the Achievement cheat way back in one of the early class updates, because I hated having to grind for achievements to get the class weapons (really glad they changed that).
I really regret doing so, though... getting closer and closer to getting to getting them all and I really wish I had more to earn.

Oh, and I still got the Cheater's Lament hat. :lol

Boonoo

Revolutionary said:
I used the Achievement cheat way back in one of the early class updates, because I hated having to grind for achievements to get the class weapons (really glad they changed that).
I really regret doing so, though... getting closer and closer to getting to getting them all and I really wish I had more to earn.

Oh, and I still got the Cheater's Lament hat. :lol

Cheater's Lament was only about idling.

The real trick to using the achievement unlocker (and valve doesn't care about it at all) is to just unlock the milestones. That way you get your weapons and still get to do the fun achievements.

Boonoo said:
Cheater's Lament was only about idling.

The real trick to using the achievement unlocker (and valve doesn't care about it at all) is to just unlock the milestones. That way you get your weapons and still get to do the fun achievements.
Huh, I could have sworn one of my friends didn't get it because he used the same unlocker I did. Maybe there's something he didn't mention (idling).

..as for the unlocker, I wish the one I used over a year ago had the option to just unlock milestones. That was all I wanted and I ended up screwing myself over from then on. :(

Twig

Banned
Kuro Madoushi said:
Bah if you really want the pickel hat just request me on steam. i dont' use it anyways
o:

<3

I don't actually want it THAT bad, and I'm not allowing myself to start up TF2 until I'm done with finals, but if you're willing to give it to me, BE READY CAUSE WEDNESDAY AT MIDNIGHT PST IT'S ON.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Twig said:
o:

<3

I don't actually want it THAT bad, and I'm not allowing myself to start up TF2 until I'm done with finals, but if you're willing to give it to me, BE READY CAUSE WEDNESDAY AT MIDNIGHT PST IT'S ON.

Sure. Just remind me. Wonder if I should me rename it "The GODHAND'S Prussian Pickelhaube"

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Something I've noticed is the balance between Shortstop/Force'a'Nature/Scattergun is pretty awesome and accommodates well for different playstyles.

Boonoo

snack said:
Is the program bannable?

I haven't seen any indication that it is. In the SA TF2 threads it's talked about fairly often, and those are read by at least 1 member of the TF2 team. I didn't notice any objections to it..

There was one time when they took away people weapons for a couple days, but that was maybe the 4th class update. Nothing that I know of has happened since.

Use at your own discretion, of course.

Boonoo said:
How did you play that much without getting any of the others?

I'm a horrendously terrible scout. "That much" is an hour and 26 minutes, I think. And most of those minutes were me running around maps I had never played before while ignoring everyone to learn the layout.

My closest achievement to get for the scout (out of the ones with bars to measure progress) is the 1000 double jumps. I have 310.

I literally only switch to scout in 3 situations:

1. It's a CTF map, so I'll do a quick intelligence grab attempt at the very beginning of the match, sometimes (immediately switching to another class after I die).
2. I've never played the map, so I'll run around like an idiot learning it real quick (usually I learn by medic-ing people that know the map though)
3. I've unlocked a new Scout item, and want to mess with it for a few minutes.

Sniper had as little play time until I got a Huntsman, now I actually kinda like that class.

snack

Boonoo said:
I haven't seen any indication that it is. In the SA TF2 threads it's talked about fairly often, and those are read by at least 1 member of the TF2 team. I didn't notice any objections to it..

There was one time when they took away people weapons for a couple days, but that was maybe the 4th class update. Nothing that I know of has happened since.

Use at your own discretion, of course.
Alright, cool. Thanks for the insight.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Yasae said:
"Ich Bin ein Berliner"
I was reading about that awhile back. That actually IS a phrase that could be used and isn't necessarily 'jelly donut'

Nah, I'm joshing with ya, Twig, you do whatever you want with it.

Blizzard

Banned
Some random server person traded me a pink scout crown in exchange for the pointy medic hat (which they then apparently painted green/olive). YAY! :D

Oh, and you know what I learned today? Borsalino is apparently a company that made fedoras. Crazy! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borsalino And apparently there was a film.

snack

Anyone here down to do get some server hosting done with me to make a couple trading servers, similar to those "The Official Unusual Hat Club"? :)

SumPog

Neo Member
I haven't played Team Fortress 2 for a while, mainly because I can't be stuffed updating all the time. Nonetheless, it strikes as a very fun, team-based game which is something that most first-person shooters lack. What would you guys reccommend as a starter class?

Yeef

SumPog said:
I haven't played Team Fortress 2 for a while, mainly because I can't be stuffed updating all the time. Nonetheless, it strikes as a very fun, team-based game which is something that most first-person shooters lack. What would you guys reccommend as a starter class?
Soldier and Medic are good starting classes because of their versatility. Pyro and Demo are both decent as well. I'd recommend staying away from Spy and Engineer until you have a bit of experience under your belt.

Also, Scout is the best class in all regards.

SumPog

Neo Member
Don't know, I just found that I needed to download a heap of compiled updates when I got it and then a bit later there was more. Especially with the Engineer, that's when I stopped playing it.

Yeef

SumPog said:
Don't know, I just found that I needed to download a heap of compiled updates when I got it and then a bit later there was more. Especially with the Engineer, that's when I stopped playing it.
By default Steam is set to keep all of your games up to date (auto download any new patches). Unless you have a bandwidth cap it doesn't make much sense to turn that option off. Turn it on, go about your day and the next time you want to play everything should be ready to go.

Yeef said:
Soldier and Medic are good starting classes because of their versatility. Pyro and Demo are both decent as well. I'd recommend staying away from Spy and Engineer until you have a bit of experience under your belt.

Also, Scout is the best class in all regards.
I wouldn't recommend Scout as a starting class, though... it's pretty difficult to play. Rocket jumping with Soldiers and sticky jumping with Demomen can be difficult when starting, too. I'd recommend Backburner Pyro (don't have to worry about airblasting - you can learn that later), Medic, or Heavy to start out with.

Yeef

I didn't recommend Scout as a starting class...

Rocket Jumping is extremely easy in TF2 and sticky jumping isn't necessary in general casual play. In fact, for a beginner, sticky jumping is probably a bad idea since it eats up more health than Rocket jumping on a class that has less health to begin with.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yeef said:
I didn't recommend Scout as a starting class...

Rocket Jumping is extremely easy in TF2 and sticky jumping isn't necessary in general casual play. In fact, for a beginner, sticky jumping is probably a bad idea since it eats up more health than Rocket jumping on a class that has less health to begin with.
Shame sticky jumping is 100x easier than rocket jumping. I still suck at rocket jumping effectively cause I get the inputs jumbled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom