• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

Yeef

Being on the opposite end of a team stack is probably the worst thing. And I don't mean GAF server "oh, scramble did a terrible job" stack. I was on a Valve server and like everyone on the opposite team was someone who actually knew how to play and they all obviously knew each other. Meanwhile, everyone on my team barely knew how to switch weapons or move and shoot at the same time. Of course, when the game auto-scrambles, all of the team-stackers join spectator until there's a spot on the team they want to join.

Being on the opposite end of a team stack is probably the worst thing. And I don't mean GAF server "oh, scramble did a terrible job" stack. I was on a Valve server and like everyone on the opposite team was someone who actually knew how to play and they all obviously knew each other. Meanwhile, everyone on my team barely knew how to switch weapons or move and shoot at the same time. Of course, when the game auto-scrambles, all of the team-stackers join spectator until there's a spot on the team they want to join.

Wait. You can move AND shoot?

Mind blown.

When teams get stacked like that, I switch to engie and troll with the teleporter to help even things out.

If you're referring to late last night, then you're probably talking about me. Nothing is worse when you see a brazen dead ringer spy running around as a friendly scout with a "SHOOT ME" sign hanging around his neck so he can activate his super powers of invisibility and invulnerability. And of course you have no choice but to shoot him and you see the kill icon go up but hear no hit sound. Then it's just a matter of waiting because there's not a damn thing you can do to kill him even though you know he's lurking around. Once one of his teammates show up, you have to engage them and then all of a sudden backstab. Granted we were playing with 10 people on the server so it's generally not that bad but still damn frustrating.

I'd much prefer it if they lowered the damage resistance all together or do something like let the damage resistance be the same percentage as the remaining meter on the watch to punish multiple failed stab attempts. I always assumed the purpose of the DR was to allow spies to get behind enemy lines without dying rather than a get out of jail free card for fuck ups.

I'm not mad though. Not after that Steel match with my 5 simultaneous dominations anyway.

Aha, it was you. I started laughing when you were spectating and calling my position out to your team. :p

I'd be ok with either a Spycicle-like attribute where it only gives you 2 seconds of damage resistance, or with my original suggestion of nerfing it to 50%. It is supposed to be the anti-spam watch, not ubermode. Still, I do prefer the stock watch because it lets you get more important picks. Though in pubs most picks are unimportant so that's why I've been trying to get better with the DR.

Yeef

"- Added daily periodic reward hats for duel wins, map stamp purchases, and gifts given"

Huh. I guess dueling mini games just shot up in value!
Nope. From what I saw in the schema last week, there's basically two hats for each category. One changes hands EVERY DAY and one changes hands every week. Meaning this is just 6 hats get passed around like a $5 whore amongst those willing to spend enough to get the hat for a day/week. And, chances are, you can't even trade the hats, so it's basically just for bragging rights.

thefro

Had that experience last night on a server playing Payload.

The other team had a perfect team balance (2 Heavy-Medic pairs that were always popping ubers, 2-3 Demomen who were all skilled, a pyro, spy, scout, and sniper) and clearly were all communicating. They completely rolled us every time except for one game where we were able to make it near the end of the map before they pushed us back.

XeroSauce

Nope. From what I saw in the schema last week, there's basically two hats for each category. One changes hands EVERY DAY and one changes hands every week. Meaning this is just 6 hats get passed around like a $5 whore amongst those willing to spend enough to get the hat for a day/week. And, chances are, you can't even trade the hats, so it's basically just for bragging rights.

Oh, so there isn't multiple copies?

That's lame. Everyone is gonna forget about these in a week or two.

sixghost

I just played on a server that puts ours to shame in terms of jank.

It had that prophunt end of round thing, but for some reason people weren't switching back to their normal class models after round ended, so I just saw people running around as carts of fences. Also every minute or so the framerate would die for about 15 seconds.

I have 8 total accounts that I idle every week religiously, even though I haven't been playing the game for real much lately due to Mass Effect 3.

I have never had a #30 drop. Ever.

sixghost

I have 8 total accounts that I idle every week religiously, even though I haven't been playing the game for real much lately due to Mass Effect 3.

I have never had a #30 drop. Ever.

It's sad that people do this. I imagine that's part of the reason Valve made these crates so rare. If you can barely find one with 8 idle accounts, what are the chances of finding one if you're just playing normally. This is literally the only way they could make some weapons rare.

It's sad that people do this. I imagine that's part of the reason Valve made these crates so rare. If you can barely find one with 8 idle accounts, what are the chances of finding one if you're just playing normally. This is literally the only way they could make some weapons rare.

won't somebody please think of the economy

Meh. Eight accounts is small potatoes. Yeef has 14, right? And one Gaffer (I think it's yeoz) has 40+. Some people out there literally have hundreds.

Strange Sapper? This is going to be a sad time for Engineers. On the plus side, Spy-checking will only increase!

...right?

2101200_o.gif

BY2K

Membero Americo
Let me get this straight.

Whoever spends the most money in a day gets to wear one one-of-a-kind hat for a day...

Valve, you're starting to push it.

Yeef

I have 14 idle accounts and one main account (that I don't idle). I mainly set them up because I got tired of big updates rolling around and not having the materials to craft new weapons right away... Then Valve slowed down the release of new (non-reskin) weapons, so now I mainly just cram stuff onto alternate accounts for when I have the time to enact my secret plan.

It'll all be worth it in the end. Mark my words!

It probably won't be.

Forkball

I have one idle account. It has served me well. I've had it for less than a year but I've found maybe four or five hats on it. I'm thinking about getting more, but I don't want to log in and log out of Steam and then I have to figure out how I can get money into the account blah blah blah.

Top Bottom