• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

Forkball

leroidys

I have a question for all the accomplished soldiers on gaf:

How do you direct hit? It's the only soldier launcher that I have fun playing with but I SUCK with it terribly.

How do you direct hit? It's the only soldier launcher that I have fun playing with but I SUCK with it terribly.
Practice. First, you have to get out of your head all about splash damage, and timing the faster rocket. Also change to shotgun in very close combat, the sight tends to be really weird up close and you might miss all your shots due to projectile bullshit. Becuase unlike normal rocket launchers DH splash damage is shit.

I find that disabling view models for the DH helps me a lot. Big open screen with a crosshair, woo! After you get use to the speed of the rockets, it's all groovy.

sixghost

Is it possible to pop people up at all with the DH? Airshots seem like it would be a strength of the DH since you need to hit them anyway.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

OK serious answer. I asked the same question to a comp soldier and he mention it's easier for beginners to get up close before firing. Bigger targets and your dmg output is pretty high and you can rocket jump away too.

Once your aim gets better, it is the best RL. It's frightening how strong good DH players are.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Yeah. You use a rocket launcher with 3 rockets, no shotgun, a magical horn and waste ubers with whips.

WRONG. I waste ubers regardless.

I have no strategies for using the DH but I would imagine unless you're pro MLG no scope cornshot you need to get in close to ensure hits, basically like a scout. But if you're going to do that it's probably better to just be a scout.

Boney

Banned
Practice. First, you have to get out of your head all about splash damage, and timing the faster rocket. Also change to shotgun in very close combat, the sight tends to be really weird up close and you might miss all your shots due to projectile bullshit. Becuase unlike normal rocket launchers DH splash damage is shit.

fucking this!

but when you're on a roll with the dh it's oh so fun

DogWelder

DH is fucking fun. Vanilla any class is boring as shit these days. It's not even that hard to play, there is no secret other than "hit him in the face."

leroidys

Why would you ever WANT to use the worst rocket launcher?

Because its fun and rewarding! And mini sentries. Actually I find that the DH can sometimes be WORSE for mini sentries. If they're somewhere that its hard to hit them directly, your splash isnt going to take them out like a regular launcher would.

I don't feel good about killing people with cheese weapons like the liberty launcher or black box. They are just gimmicky garbage that 0 thought went into, whereas the DH is actually a slight rethinking of soldiers arsenal. I'm still waiting for the soldiers kritzkireg/huntsman/degreaser/targe... something to differentiate its role if even slightly from vanilla soldier.

Bluth54

The Direct Hit is awesome when someone is really good at aiming the rocket launcher.

The vast majority of TF2 players are not really good at aiming the rocket launcher.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Because its fun and rewarding! And mini sentries. Actually I find that the DH can sometimes be WORSE for mini sentries. If they're somewhere that its hard to hit them directly, your splash isnt going to take them out like a regular launcher would.

I don't feel good about killing people with cheese weapons like the liberty launcher or black box. They are just gimmicky garbage that 0 thought went into, whereas the DH is actually a slight rethinking of soldiers arsenal. I'm still waiting for the soldiers kritzkireg/huntsman/degreaser/targe... something to differentiate its role if even slightly from vanilla soldier.
LL is great. Deal with it.

Proven

Wait, when did the Liberty Launcher and the Black Box become cheese? I can understand seeing them as gimmicky, and I can understand getting upset by the LL speed at times, but the Black Box deserves none of that. The formula for the BB is simple: do 25% less damage for a 7.5% health boost for person hit. The only time it can save your bacon in the short term is if a Scout/Pyro/Demoknight tries to bum rush you and get you killed by your own rockets, and even then I have to be carrying the Gunboats to not still die 50% of the time.

Black Box + Gunboats + Equalizer is a pretty fun set up for Koth maps though.

Yeef

I'd suggest you stop this heretical talk, lest you be thrown in the stockade!

Using any rocket launcher with less than 4 rockets when you have the gunboats is silly, ESPECIALLY on KOTH maps. With the gunboats you can get pretty much anywhere in a matter of seconds. If you're running low on health, just rocket jump to the nearest health pack. Repeat until you reach your desired health.

leroidys

LL is great. Deal with it.

Wait, when did the Liberty Launcher and the Black Box become cheese? I can understand seeing them as gimmicky, and I can understand getting upset by the LL speed at times, but the Black Box deserves none of that. The formula for the BB is simple: do 25% less damage for a 7.5% health boost for person hit. The only time it can save your bacon in the short term is if a Scout/Pyro/Demoknight tries to bum rush you and get you killed by your own rockets, and even then I have to be carrying the Gunboats to not still die 50% of the time.

I don't think its overpowered really, just a stupid gun. I think that balancing something just by giving it less ammo is really poor design and not very interesting. Both launchers also lend themselves to unskilled play (not that they can't be used by skilled players). I think the liberty launcher is especially lazy design coming out AFTER the DH was already thought up.

Proven

I don't think its overpowered really, just a stupid gun. I think that balancing something just by giving it less ammo is really poor design and not very interesting. Both launchers also lend themselves to unskilled play (not that they can't be used by skilled players). I think the liberty launcher is especially lazy design coming out AFTER the DH was already thought up.

I can get behind the lazy design argument. At least they're an underpowering lazy design rather than overpowering ones. I still find uses for the Black Box though, but that's because I tend to prefer survivability over damage output.

I'd suggest you stop this heretical talk, lest you be thrown in the stockade!

Using any rocket launcher with less than 4 rockets when you have the gunboats is silly, ESPECIALLY on KOTH maps. With the gunboats you can get pretty much anywhere in a matter of seconds. If you're running low on health, just rocket jump to the nearest health pack. Repeat until you reach your desired health.

The primary reason it's a fun setup (primarily on Nucleus, which outside of neogaf seems to be preferred over Harvest for whatever reason), is because of Scouts/Pyros/Knights in close combat situations. The damage reduction I get while firing 100 damage point blank rockets into enemies, while gaining 30 or so health, often means I survive a lot of situations I wouldn't have if I wasn't using both items together. It means that I can be a one man show protecting that high room with the medium health pack, and even spam down on the capture point or at the opposing snipers for a small health pack while I wait for the next respawns to trickle in one or two at a time. Outside of small team battles and close quarter situations, this becomes a lot less effective.

What can I say, I like coming up with niche gimmick builds and making them work for small slivers of situations. If I don't have the Gunboats, I'm usually running one of the banners anyway instead of a shotgun.

Top Bottom