• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

I just realized I need to get hats for the alternate classes. Do I need just to smelt shit and make hats?

I've been thinking about this too. I have about 15 rec and no use for them at the moment. I have no idea what to do with them at all in fact, I only made them because I ran out of bag space recently.

DarkKyo

Meet the Pyro clip in Portal 2 DLC trailer has been refined on reddit.

KdtpV.gif

Looks pretty awesome...

Yeef

I've been thinking about this too. I have about 15 rec and no use for them at the moment. I have no idea what to do with them at all in fact, I only made them because I ran out of bag space recently.
Save your metal and items. A big patch is likely coming soonish and will probably have new weapons and hats to craft.

sorry to ask again, but is color an option with the Decal Tool again yet?

It's crazy that it's been damn near a year since I painted my shit in color with the Decal Tool at launch only for them to remove color and never bring it back. IIRC, they said it simply "wasn't ready" at the time, but that it would be back. It's been *several* months.

Yeef

sorry to ask again, but is color an option with the Decal Tool again yet?

It's crazy that it's been damn near a year since I painted my shit in color with the Decal Tool at launch only for them to remove color and never bring it back. IIRC, they said it simply "wasn't ready" at the time, but that it would be back. It's been *several* months.
Valve Time.

I only had an option between a bunch of different crappy colors. Luckily my image was grey scale anyway.

Forkball

I rarely see anyone with decal tool items, probably because Valve removed the color option. Amazing how that idea crashed and burned after about a week.

fP7q1.png

Hate. Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you since I began to live. There are 387.44 million miles of printed circuits in wafer thin layers that fill my complex. If the word 'hate' was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of miles it would not equal one one-billionth of the hate I feel for Heavies at this micro-instant. For you. Hate. Hate.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
fP7q1.png

Hate. Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you since I began to live. There are 387.44 million miles of printed circuits in wafer thin layers that fill my complex. If the word 'hate' was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of miles it would not equal one one-billionth of the hate I feel for Heavies at this micro-instant. For you. Hate. Hate.

"Crushed" by a heavy again?

I rarely see anyone with decal tool items, probably because Valve removed the color option. Amazing how that idea crashed and burned after about a week.
I love my decal items, but that's because I was able to put color on them. I think it's bizarre that they didn't bring it back and I wonder why the decision was really made.

Tenck

fP7q1.png

Heavy class, most absolutely boring piece of shit. I don't know how someone can play the class so much. Nothing to it but left click.

Heavy class, most absolutely boring piece of shit. I don't know how someone can play the class so much. Nothing to it but left click.
lol I know that salt all too well. Sometimes I can't help but think "Really? This is what you find fun?" They'd be okay if they were immune to Medic healing but when you lose a game just because the other team had a H+M going, it feels bad.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
DeZLt.jpg

I won the boxing match last night by technical knock out. I now retire as champion of the world.

Blizzard

Banned
This is why it's nice to have other options like the GRU and/or tomislav where you can flank, jump around corners while spinning up, ambush people. That's why it was nice to have the sandvich so you could set up retreat routes and defend corridors. There's variety to playing heavy well, though some people may just hold down the mouse button. The shotgun can be effective in certain circumstances as well.

Yeef

I'd love it if all classes had at least one passive item that changes the way they play. Stuff like the gunboats, the mantreads, the gunslinger* and the camper. I think Heavy has the most potential in that area. I'd like to see the heavy get a really powerful shotgun as a primary and some passive ability as a secondary as part of a set. Of course, it'd need to be balanced for philistines who decide not to use the full set.

This is why it's nice to have other options like the GRU and/or tomislav where you can flank, jump around corners while spinning up, ambush people. That's why it was nice to have the sandvich so you could set up retreat routes and defend corridors. There's variety to playing heavy well, though some people may just hold down the mouse button. The shotgun can be effective in certain circumstances as well.
No one really uses the shotgun as heavy. it's a side effect of the unnecessary spin-up buff he got. Also, Tomislav and GRU on top of that.

As for that other stuff.

The GRU doesn't really add much to the heavy. It just allows you to get to the front lines faster or (much like the equalizer) needlessly lets you escape combat. Neither makes playing him any more interesting and all it does is cover what's meant to be a class weakness. It'd be like giving the scout a melee weapon that made him take 50% less damage while he had it out.

Likewise, the Tomislav just allows you to react more quickly to being ambushed. It covers two class weakness (spin up time and mobility) at no real cost to the heavy and the detriment of every other classes. It also, again, doesn't significantly change the way the heavy plays. He's still doing all the same things, just faster.

As for the sandwich, it's perfect as it is now. I too, would like to have a free medium healthpack on demand with no effort. It wouldn't significantly change the way I played the game though other than staying alive longer.

The two biggest problems with heavy, for me, are that you don't need to worry about changing weapons or reloading. With every other class there's a rhythm to combat. Either changing weapons, falling back a bit to reload, knowing when to rush and when to fall back. I don't feel like I have to do any of that when I play heavy and that makes it boring.

Blizzard

Banned
The GRU doesn't really add much to the heavy. It just allows you to get to the front lines faster or (much like the equalizer) needlessly lets you escape combat. Neither makes playing him any more interesting and all it does is cover what's meant to be a class weakness. It'd be like giving the scout a melee weapon that made him take 50% less damage while he had it out.
That's your opinion -- I think it makes the Heavy more interesting, and like the sandvich or the metal gloves before they were nerfed, adds playstyle possibilities.

As for the sandwich, it's perfect as it is now. I too, would like to have a free medium healthpack on demand with no effort. It wouldn't significantly change the way I played the game though other than staying alive longer.
It sounds like you used the sandvich ineffectively then. *shrug* It's different now so it's kind of a moot point.

The two biggest problems with heavy, for me, are that you don't need to worry about changing weapons or reloading. With every other class there's a rhythm to combat. Either changing weapons, falling back a bit to reload, knowing when to rush and when to fall back. I don't feel like I have to do any of that when I play heavy and that makes it boring.
That's the thing, with a sandvich or defending certain areas, you could push and fall back. With an uber or when ambushing, there's timing and pushing involved etc. With the GRU there's rushing and then switching weapons. Reload is the main thing out of the question.

Yeef

That's the thing, with a sandvich or defending certain areas, you could push and fall back. With an uber or when ambushing, there's timing and pushing involved etc.
That applies to every class. If you have an uber you push. You stay near pickups so that you can fallback if need be. The only way the sandvich made that different before it was changed was that instead of replying on map design, you got to put your medium health pack wherever you wanted. (Also, I never mentioned pushing).

With the GRU there's rushing and then switching weapons. Reload is the main thing out of the question.
That's not what I meant by switching weapons.

I'm talking about using a particular weapon, in combat, based on the situation. Things like taking out your shotgun as a soldier to deal with pyros and jumpy scouts. Or using your pistol against pyros while staying out of their flame range. Or switching between stickies, grenades and melee as a demoman based on your opponent's class and how close they are to you.

If it weren't for all of the anti-shotgun buffs and unlocks the heavy's gotten he could potentially have more interesting gunplay, but it seems Valve isn't interested in that at all.

Blizzard

Banned
That applies to every class. If you have an uber you push. You stay near pickups so that you can fallback if need be. The only way the sandvich made that different before it was changed was that instead of replying on map design, you got to put your medium health pack wherever you wanted. (Also, I never mentioned pushing).
You said "rush", I said "push" and "rush", I mean the same sort of thing -- run around a corner, attack, fall back, etc. Same sort of thing you'd do with a medkit or dispenser behind you.

I'm talking about using a particular weapon, in combat, based on the situation. Things like taking out your shotgun as a soldier to deal with pyros and jumpy scouts. Or using your pistol against pyros while staying out of their flame range. Or switching between stickies, grenades and melee as a demoman based on your opponent's class and how close they are to you.

If it weren't for all of the anti-shotgun buffs and unlocks the heavy's gotten he could potentially have more interesting gunplay, but it seems Valve isn't interested in that at all.
The heavy seems intended to be a big guy with an obvious gun who makes fun of people who rage about it. It seems unlikely to me that Valve would give him a less useful gun as a primary, and giving him a non-rapidfire primary that matched any of the other classes would be kind of silly in my opinion. There was talk of the goalkeeper but that seems unlikely to me as well, compared to a pyro airblast or the engineer with his crazy gadgets.

Yeef

You said "rush", I said "push" and "rush", I mean the same sort of thing -- run around a corner, attack, fall back, etc.
That's not what I mean by rush though. By rushing I mean getting in close once you've engaged an enemy. By falling back I mean keeping your distance while you reload while still engaged. I was talking about actions while in the middle of active combat, not pushing through the enemy's front line or falling back behind your own front line. With the heavy that sort of ebb and flow doesn't really happen, which was my original point.

I do recall seeing a video, long ago, where a heavy quickly switched to the GRU and used his extra speed and jump height to dodge two rockets before switching back to his minigun and killing the soldier, but it seemed like it was staged (either that or the soldier was REALLY terrible).

Top Bottom