• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teen driver arrested after live-streaming crash that killed her sister.

xkramz

Man I'm so desensitized to videos showing gore. It's a sad situation and you can tell she was in shock after the crash. She couldnt believe what just happened.

Recreat3

I'm from Croatia and everyone wears a seat belt at the front, very few at the back.

I guess it is a cultural thing, otherwise I can't explain it.

So strange. In australia if one of your passengers isnt wearing a seatbelt the driver gets fined. Pretty much been ingrained in my brain to wear a seatbelt since i was young.

Mohonky

Saw the video last night, dont even know what to say.

When your first response is to stream thar sort of thing on social media. Even her attitude was horrible.

Yeah I think I'll start doing so

It's really strange. It's like everyone is strict about wearing a seatbelt at the front seats but at the back seats it's whatever

um, i don't know where you come from, but where i'm from - you [and everyone you know] would be considered fucking lunatics.

holy shit wear your fucking seatbelt people... [especially if all your friends are dumbasses who don't think wearing a seatbelt in the back seat is important - as they probably can't comprehend the dangers of driving in the first place].

this whole story and ensuing thread just reminds me that 99% of humans are not fit to drive, and i cannot wait for it all to be handled by AI [unfortunately probably not fully in my lifetime].

This is extremely tragic, rip to the victims.

Also media should stop doing shit like carpool karaoke and glorifying videos filmed on cars, while people are driving. If you're going to drive then no cellphone shit or any other activity is allowed, it's too risky to split your attention in the road and some other stupid activity, both for the people inside of the car and outside of it.

GHG

The one thing I don't really understand about this whole thing... Before the crash, what the fuck is she even doing and why would people be interested in following/watching that shit?

Such an uneccessry loss of life.

Khaz

They're in a film. They know they are broadcasting and they know people will look at it, and so no matter what, they try to act to give them a stature. I believe this can happen to anyone raised with a phone in their hand, those are not an exception. It's terrifying.

I can really see why people are just straight giving up these days. This kind of news I'm starting to get numb too. I feel like the human race is honestly past it's expiration date. We really don't deserve to survive..

DonMigs85

I can really see why people are just straight giving up these days. This kind of news I'm starting to get numb too. I feel like the human race is honestly past it's expiration date. We really don't deserve to survive..
Wish aliens would come and harvest all but the smart and compassionate humans.

Kinyou

Fuck, not going to watch that. Can do without seeing a dying 14 year old

Did she at least call an ambulance before going on her live stream?

mhayes86

I couldn't even finish reading the OP because the whole thing is just too depressing. Don't distract yourself with your phone while driving, and drill it into your children to wear a damn seatbelt. I understand she was hysterical, but to continue live streaming the aftermath?

SomTervo

Oh my god that girl's fucking head.

Oh my god.

If you're going to be idiotic enough to livestream while driving, at least keep your hands on the fucking wheel.

I wasn't expecting it to be quite that bad. Arms waving everywhere. Doing gang signs. Nary a hand on the wheel.

Jessssuuuussss chriiisst

Fuck, not going to watch that. Can do without seeing a dying 14 year old

Did she at least call an ambulance before going on her live stream?

When you see the video it's clear she is not alive whatsoever. It's like something out of a gory horror movie. Unfucking believably horrible.

Saw the video last night, dont even know what to say.

When your first response is to stream thar sort of thing on social media. Even her attitude was horrible.

She's pretty clearly in shock. The way she's talking. The 'I don't give a fuck's and stuff. Her brain is in emergency/trauma mode.

Livestreaming is the sort of weird shit your brain would consider a totally reasonable thing to do while in shock.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Off to jail you go.

And having no seatbelts. Just fucking stupid.

Terrible, just terrible. :(

Apart from the irresponsible behaviour of the driver, the most disturbing thing to me is that the kids in the backseat didn't buckle their seat belt. I can't believe that it's still an uncool thing to do. Hell, I even buckle up in the fucking bus!

Some people just don't care.
Here in Germany, buckling your seat belt became law in the 70's and it faced quite some resistance from people worrying about their freedom and crumbled clothing. Some went even as far as to wear shirts with the belt printed on it to fool the police.

Branduil

um, i don't know where you come from, but where i'm from - you [and everyone you know] would be considered fucking lunatics.

holy shit wear your fucking seatbelt people... [especially if all your friends are dumbasses who don't think wearing a seatbelt in the back seat is important - as they probably can't comprehend the dangers of driving in the first place].

this whole story and ensuing thread just reminds me that 99% of humans are not fit to drive, and i cannot wait for it all to be handled by AI [unfortunately probably not fully in my lifetime].

Hopefully the AI also refuses to drive the car until people put on their seatbelts.

Jesus that video is a lot more horrific than I was expecting.

Driver should be arrested but she seems so obviously in shock that I can't really fault her for what happened after the crash.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What are the rules about searbwlta like in the US? I think in the UK it is mandatory for all passengers to wear seatbelts, and the driver is responsible for making sure it happens.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
What are the rules about searbwlta like in the US? I think in the UK it is mandatory for all passengers to wear seatbelts, and the driver is responsible for making sure it happens.

The minimum fine if they'd been pulled over would have been $465 for an unbelted passenger under 16, plus court fees. The driver pays.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
She was so unaffected by the situation. She was just talking normally and the first thing she did was turn the camera on her dying sister.

SomTervo

Do people in the backseat wear seatbelts?

Almost no one that I know does.

I'll be honest, I don't either

Enjoy flying out a window and busting your head open, or worse, flying straight into the driver/side passenger and killing them, when someone else crashes into the car from behind.

She was so unaffected by the situation. She was just talking normally and the first thing she did was turn the camera on her dying sister.

It's pretty clearly shock. That's how people behave while in shock.

gaming_noob

Can we blame it on those videos of celebrities recording themselves singing while driving? Those were always cringe worthy but kids eat it up and imitate.

Zelias

Banned
It's sad when such reckless, stupid, irresponsible behaviour has such horrible consequences, but I hope it sends a message that if you fuck around in a car people are going to get hurt, or worse.

Despera

Banned
You can tell that she started to realize the severity of the situation near the end of the vid, apologizing and trying to wake up her clearly deceased sister. Shock and trauma of that magnitude can make you do weird things.

She'll have enough time to think this over in jail.

Aiii

So not worth it
Parents of GAF, think of this story next time you're behind the wheel, your kids are in the backseat, and you reach for your phone to read that important text in your friends' group chat.

Lead by example. Teach your kids to wear their seatbelts, teach your kids to not be on their phone while driving.

ramparter

Banned
I guess I just have a bunch of questions running thru my mind, like what the hell can be done to stop this stuff from getting out of hand? Should social media companies get some blame for these types of things?
Minors cant handle social media, all the exposure, the hunt for attention, likes, followers... Shouldn't be allowed.

Nephtis

Holy shit she wasn't even sad. She was more upset she was going to jail

She was clearly in shock. Chances are her sister's death will weight heavily on her, and I hope it does. Her apparent lack of emotion isn't even what pisses me off though. It's the way that the dumbass took both hands off the wheel for the longest time. Not to mention that she apparently had other close calls with crashes as evidenced earlier in the thread.

deo

Banned
Can we blame it on those videos of celebrities recording themselves singing while driving? Those were always cringe worthy but kids eat it up and imitate.

No. But we can blame it on the one person solely responsible: The loon behind the wheel

What pissed me off the most was how she goes back to filming. She had to make sure she got everything on camera.

That poor kid didn't deserve to die l like that.

I hope this haunts her to the rest of her days.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
California Highway Patrol Sgt. Darin Heredia told BuzzFeed News that officials were “well aware” of the video. They are trying to determine whether it’s legitimate and, if so, whether Sanchez’s phone use contributed to the crash.

You'd have to be some sort of moron to determine that the phone didn't contribute to the crash.

I think in the UK there would be a legitimate case to lay a murder charge due to wilful Recklessness.

nel e nel

I was watching the video of it as it happened and honestly the most disturbing thing is she kept fucking streaming everything well after the crash. She was sitting beside her dying sister still streaming. Put the fucking phone away already and stop broadcasting that to the entire world. Why would you stream your sibling dying?

Seriously, like, why wouldn't you call 911?

Anung

Un Rama
Well she's internet famous now.

Seat belts man. Even if I get in a car just to chat to a friend or family member without even driving anywhere I instinctively put the seatbelt on. Shit's drilled into my brain.

Sony

Nintendo
ranking-all-the-black-mirror-episodes.jpg

It's becoming real.

Camwi

When you see the video it's clear she is not alive whatsoever. It's like something out of a gory horror movie. Unfucking believably horrible.

Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and give that video a hard pass.

I swear I'm going to do my best to teach my two daughters to not be fucking idiots when they grow up.

Top Bottom