• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teen driver arrested after live-streaming crash that killed her sister.

My girlfriend called me a coward for wearing a seatbelt. Maybe I should show her the video.

In Colombia, at least in the coast, none of the young people instinctively wear seatbelts besides the driver. Whenever I go there I put it on and one of them looks back and laughs but I tell them it's a habit now and laugh it off with them, while in my head I'm thinking I ain't taking fucking chances to look hip. Yes for the most part you won't ever drive top speeds in the city, but even going 30-45 mph is enough for me to worry some asshole isn't paying attention and I hurt myself.

Fuck that. My life is more important.

Do people in the backseat wear seatbelts?

Almost no one that I know does.

I'll be honest, I don't either

It's more dangerous to sit in the back without a seatbelt, you generally don't have an airbag.

Fuck if I'm gonna get in a strange uber without buckling up.

Wear your damn seat belts people! You are a FOOL if you do not.

How many times have you been driving and thought, "Wow, that person is a terrible driver!" Well guess what? Those people can crash into you!!

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
In Colombia, at least in the coast, none of the young people instinctively wear seatbelts besides the driver. Whenever I go there I put it on and one of them looks back and laughs but I tell them it's a habit now and laugh it off with them, while in my head I'm thinking I ain't taking fucking chances to look hip. Yes for the most part you won't ever drive top speeds in the city, but even going 30-45 mph is enough for me to worry some asshole isn't paying attention and I hurt myself.

Remember it is also dangerous to have their bodies flying around in the car in an accident. It can be just as dangerous to you as to them, if they do not wear their seat belts.

Yeah I think I'll start doing so

good choice. As the poster above me said, you don't tend to have airbags. Watch some of the videos of what can happen to unbuckled backseat drivers, you fucking fly over the top of the car if you can fit, if not there goes your neck.

It's not a matter of "oh hey haha why are you putting on your seatbelt bro, cops don't care" like the sentiment in some countries. It's a matter of "because I'm not doing it to follow the law, I'm doing it because it's a tool for safety because someone in the streets driving is one drink away, one sleepless night away or one idiot bro away from crashing and dying"

What is with this attitude of it's not cool to wear seat belts? What happened to our society to make us believe we are "hip" or "cool" to not wear seat belts. This really angers me.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Social media is the worst.

So many are so busy texting, calling, playing mobile games and whatnot while driving it's just a matter of time.

Lesson to be learned is "put on your fucking seatbelt and stop being a dumbass".

I do it automatic and don't even think about it, not only for my safety should something happen but for everyone else in and around the vehicle. If a crash like this occur you and your body becomes a heavy projectile that can kill yourself and others, all avoidable with a simple strap that requires zero effort.

If you don't give a fuck about yourself, do it for others as to avoid hurting them.

RIP little girl, nobody deserves to be killed by complete idiots like this.

Also the family must be in for a fucked up time...
What is with this attitude of it's not cool to wear seat belts? What happened to our society to make us believe we are "hip" or "cool" to not wear seat belts. This really angers me.
You mean an irresponsible asshole who don't use a couple IQ to think things over?

KHlover

Banned
As a driver you should insist on the persons behind you wearing a seat belt. Even in a low speed crash, do you REALLY want a 120+ pound projectile to be flung in the direction of your neck at 30+ mph?

With kids, unfortunately you are always trying to rebel. To laugh it off, because cool kids don't care and everybody loves somebody who can have a good time.

What they need to do is sit down and show them videos of real car crashes. Don't fucking tell them, they will always laugh it off. Fuck that. If they want to drive, I am of mind that if they aren't already putting on their seat belt, or are drunk driving, fucking show them this shit.

My sister's best friend was crashed by an idiot drunk driver. When people found their accident, they didn't stop to help. They stopped to steal their shit. When we went to the hospital, my sister had to mentally psych herself up to walk in and see her friend connected to fucking tubes unable to move and respond to her. I couldn't even walk fucking in I wanted to cry. She got better thank god, but lord knows that was the eye opener for every person that knew her.

cromofo

Please think for one minute about what you're saying. I hope you'll come to realize how ignorant you're sounding.

I do really.

But it's been such a non topic where I live, no one really wears a seatbelt when sitting at the back while people always buckle up at the front. Never really gave it much thought.

Greddleok

I was in the car with her friend and her friend's boyfriend (who was driving), and I put my seatbelt on instinctively. He got SO angry, saying that I was calling him a bad driver.

I held my ground and continued to wear it (especially as he was a fucking crazy driver), explaining that it doesn't matter how good of a driver he is, other people can be drunk, distracted, on their phone etc.

I think the whole thing is ridiculous, especially as it takes a fraction of a second to put a seatbelt on, and demonstrably saves lives.

Keri

I'm starting to think they should raise the driving age to 21. It seems like there are a lot of stories of cars full of teenagers dying or getting into horrific accidents, because they are distracted, driving badly and never wearing seatbelts.

I feel like this is something I'm really going to have to focus on, when my son hits this age. Always wear your seat belt and do not get into a car with kids you don't trust to drive responsibly...in fact, just don't get into cars with teenage drivers. Just call me 100% of the time.

Also, I don't know why people watch videos like this, when you know it ends badly. Do they think it makes them tough, to watch someone die?

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I do really.

But it's been such a non topic where I live, no one really wears a seatbelt when sitting at the back while people always buckle up at the front. Never really gave it much thought.
I don't get why this would be any less different.

Zee-Row

Banned
Gore doesn't bother me because since i was a teenager i would always look at sites like rotten.com. The only thing that bothers me is that this was someones kid and they have to bury someone that had no business dying so young because of a stupid person like that older sister.

teepo

i was considered square for being the only person to wear a seat belt during my teen years. i also locked the door whenever i exited the car which pissed people off. yes, leaving your car unlocked was somehow a thing....

if you drove with me, i wouldn't start the car until everybody was wearing their seatbelts. that's how my parents raised me and i expect the same from everybody when behind the wheel.

Ozigizo

Yes, because they will still fly through the windshield and are a danger to the people in the front.

Are you seriously advocating not wearing a seatbelt?

UberTag

There was a rather heated defense force for texting while driving a few years back as well.
I'm almost scared to ask you to cite examples of that defense force so I can horrify myself.

Like how could such a practice be defended on any level?
What mental hoops were they jumping through to convince themselves that texting while driving wasn't a problem?

Also, I don't know why people watch videos like this, when you know it ends badly. Do they think it makes them tough, to watch someone die?
When I was younger, out of curiosity, I watched some fucked up shit. Made me feel sick. Today though? Maybe its because I've seen people die in front of me but if I see a video of someone dying, I have a full on panic attack and the shit haunts me for a long time. All life is precious and to see someones life end is fucking horrific. That could be you or someone you love. I avoid watching anything like that but once in a blue moon I accidentally see something and it boggles my fucking mind that some people enjoy watching that shit or t doesnt phase them. Disturbs the fuck out of me.

Zee-Row

Banned
I'm starting to think they should raise the driving age to 21. It seems like there are a lot of stories of cars full of teenagers dying or getting into horrific accidents, because they are distracted, driving badly and never wearing seatbelts.

I feel like this is something I'm really going to have to focus on, when my son hits this age. Always wear your seat belt and do not get into a car with kids you don't trust to drive responsibly...in fact, just don't get into cars with teenage drivers. Just call me 100% of the time.

I don't watch these videos to be a tough guy. I just like to face reality if that makes any sense.

DonMigs85

i was considered square for being the only person to wear a seat belt during my teen years. i also locked the door whenever i exited the car which pissed people off. yes, leaving your car unlocked was somehow a thing....

if you drove with me, i wouldn't start the car until everybody was wearing their seatbelts. that's how my parents raised me and i expect the same from everybody when behind the wheel.
It's a shame the ratio of stupid people is so high

I'm almost scared to ask you to cite examples of that defense force so I can horrify myself.

What mental hoops were they jumping through to convince themselves that texting while driving wasn't a problem?

I think the rationale broke down to "I've never seen it increase the rate of danger for me and my friends" followed by "even if it did, IDGAF, my life is too important to put on hold."

Holy shit, this was real?

I watched it last night thinking it was a prank. Her sister's head was literally caved in and she's all touching it and pleading with her to wake up.

Fuck. I honestly thought it was some prank to get some views or shit.

xJavonta

Banned
This is so fucked up. I cant bring myself to watch the video.

I don't think anyone is saying she did it intentionally but there is something really wrong with a generation of kids growing up fixated on televising their lives at any and all possible opportunities.
I'm sure previous generations that grew up watching reality TV would've loved to have their own show too. The difference is that now it's entirely possible for these impressionistic kids to do so, but they do it at the risk of everyone's safety since there's no dedicated crew.

Keri

I don't watch these videos to be a tough guy. I just like to face reality if that makes any sense.

It doesn't. Most people do not have the experience of watching someone die in a horrific accident. Let alone, watching multiple deaths. So, you're shaping your reality, to be pretty unpleasant.

When I was younger, out of curiosity, I watched some fucked up shit. Made me feel sick. Today though? Maybe its because I've seen people die in front of me but if I see a video of someone dying, I have a full on panic attack and the shit haunts me for a long time. All life is precious and to see someones life end is fucking horrific. That could be you or someone you love. I avoid watching anything like that but once in a blue moon I accidentally see something and it boggles my fucking mind that some people enjoy watching that shit or t doesnt phase them. Disturbs the fuck out of me.

I'm really sorry you had that experience and I agree with everything you've said. I worked briefly with a Public Defenders office in law school and viewed crime scene photos, during that time. In that context, it made sense to subject myself to obviously disturbing material, because it served a purpose. But, outside that context? Why would I ever want to watch something like this? Thanks but no thanks. I'll be sleeping A-OK tonight, without the images of a teenage girl dying.

I thought this was a viral video for a horror movie because how she was messing with her body after the crash. The fuck is wrong with people?

clav

There was a rather heated defense force for texting while driving a few years back as well.

I think the rationale broke down to "I've never seen it increase the rate of danger for me and my friends" followed by "even if it did, IDGAF, my life is too important to put on hold."

I remember that thread.

You can revisit here: http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1086069

But why? Youre aware of what realistically could happen to someone whose car flips while theyre not wearing a seatbelt as you said you used to see this stuff all the time when younger? Why do you need more doses of "reality"?

I dont understand it. A few years back when all types of gore pics and vids were showing up on Facebook I had my undesired fill. My imagination runs wild enough thinking about that crap I dont need more material for it to pull from.

StayDead

As a driver you should insist on the persons behind you wearing a seat belt. Even in a low speed crash, do you REALLY want a 120+ pound projectile to be flung in the direction of your neck at 30+ mph?

In the UK it's actually law that you must enforce everyone is wearing a seatbelt in your car. If they're not you can be fined iirc.

KHlover

Banned

I don't think the driving age needs to be raised, you just need to make it a lot harder to get a license. Compared to, say, most of Europe you're handing out those licenses like free candy. For example, here in Germany you need to complete a certain number of units in driver's education (iirc about 12 units taking about an hour each?) and complete a certain number of general driving units with your instructor, as well as special units for driving at night, on country roads and on the highway. Then you need to do a theoretical test and a practical test, to which your driving instructor applies you to if he thinks you're ready. That can happen after the minimum amount of driving units, or it can take a whole lot longer. The theoretical test isn't all that hard, but the practical test is pretty strict and consists of driving in real traffic in your city for about 45 minutes to an hour. Too many light traffic offenses and you're out, heavy offense and you're out and if the tester has to use his own pedals for whatever you're also out. It's not uncommon to fail one or two times, each attempt is also pretty expensive. As a result of all this it takes anywhere between 4-6 months to get a license and costs easily 1500€+, but - even though youth drivers are still the most likely to be involved in accidents - we have far less batshit insane drivers.

In the UK it's actually law that you must enforce everyone is wearing a seatbelt in your car. If they're not you can be fined iirc.

Same in Germany.

This isn't as routinely enforced as people in the front not wearing seatbelts. I know from personal experience whenever I've been in an Uber and cops have rolled by, they haven't done shit. Not even when we've been through a slow section.

Chuckie

Yeah. They should accurately describe what was in that video instead of downplaying it.

A bleeding head, while technically correct, is far different from a face falling off. :(

1000 x this. I also wish I had read this whole thread before clicking that video. Wtf.

Seatbelts too. I'm still surprised at the amount of people who don't put on their seatbelts.

It is weird. Cars also start to play an annoying beep (faster and faster) if someone doesn't wear a seatbelt. So you are reminded constantly. (Or does the beeping stop after a while? I never tried it.)

This story leaves me at loss for words. Trying to decide whether to watch the video or not. Usually my first response would be anger and demand punishment for this girl, but I mostly feel pity instead for her extreme stupidity and ignorance.

She needs spend a minimum of decade in prison for vehicle manslaughter/murder or whatever the law is in California. No leniency whatsoever. She has forfeited her life as far as I'm concerned.

Skinpop

Yeah I think I'll start doing so

It's really strange. It's like everyone is strict about wearing a seatbelt at the front seats but at the back seats it's whatever

if you don't wear a seat belt you don't get to ride with me. even if you have seat belts on in the front you can get killed by the body impact from behind if passengers in the backseat doesn't. it's the cheapest life insurance of all time, don't fuck around with it.

Nephtis

Saw the video.

I thought she was just holding the phone with one hand and got distracted when the crash happened, but this fucking dumbass almost never had a hand on the wheel. And the way she poses in front of the camera while her sister is laying there with her head split open, what the fuck.

I hope this haunts this scumbag for the rest of her life, and may she rot in jail. Fuck that.

Also, this is why you wear your goddamn seat belt. Fuck.

cromofo

Maybe this is a cultural thing but in the UK I've never met someone who doesn't wear a seat belt. Front or back.

I'm from Croatia and everyone wears a seat belt at the front, very few at the back.

I guess it is a cultural thing, otherwise I can't explain it.

aliengmr

Only a malfunctioning robot could respond the way she did. Like what the fuck.

Well she probably was at that point. People aren't always rational under those circumstances. It probably hasn't even registered that her sister is dying even when it's completely obvious. Even sober she could have reacted that way.

So yea, she was malfunctioning (the brain tends to do that during very traumatic events) at that point. You'd think with all the sensitivity to mental trauma around here people would recognize it, but I guess not.

Waldini

The girl is in clear shock. I mean, just listen to her reactions. Still does not justify what she did. Not by a long shot.

That's some serious horrendous shit that happened. Goddamn.
People need to realise that +1 subscriber of +1 follower isn't as important as LIFE.

NSFW SPOILER [JUST TEXT]

Her sister looks to have a severe skull fracture down the middle. Might be because of the impact on the tarmac. Goddamn.

eXistor

The sooner that people understand that their life isn't special or interesting the better. It doesn't matter what you're doing, you're a dumb-ass teenager; your life fucking sucks, it's not interesting in the least. And stop thinking it is because it'll literally save lives. Just live you're life as you see fit, just don't film it.

Waldini

The sooner that people understand that their life isn't special or interesting the better. It doesn't matter what you're doing, you're a dumb-ass teenager; your life fucking sucks, it's not interesting in the least. And stop thinking it is because it'll literally save lives. Just live you're life as you see fit, just don't film it.

Social Media is dangerous. It's all about being the popular kid. The more followers = the more popular you are. Goes for everything else.

Top Bottom