• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

AAK

Sayah

Bad news for the location tests.

https://twitter.com/MarkMan23/status/618870751219843072

You guys have to use stick. Can't say I'm not surprised, but I had some hope since the devkits being played at tournaments allowed pads.

vader.jpg

Gonna try to start learning stick. Though, I don't see myself learning it fast enough for this location test.
This sucks. :/

Edit: This is hilarious. I can't stop laughing.

DEATH™

vader.jpg

Gonna try to start learning stick. Though, I don't see myself learning it fast enough for this location test.
This sucks. :/

All you have to practice is just BDC on one side. The arcade setup will let you pick the side you are comfortable of.

Sayah

DEATH™;171360746 said:
All you have to practice is just BDC on one side. The arcade setup will let you pick the side you are comfortable of.

It's not just that. I've already tried learning stick before.
It's like trying to play with an analog stick on a pad. The moves keep coming out wrong and my movement is completely off. And these big buttons.

EDIT:

MAKKEE MOORREE OF THESE!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw27Ai-lWVc&app=desktop

Pachimari

If you guys are going to the SDCC, there'll be special Lili/Eliza shirts you can get.

Do you think we'll get somekind of an announcement there too?

I was running throw Claudio's move list when I came to and odd realization. He doesn't have very many safe moves. A lot of his decent damaging moves are all -12 plus or have a duckable high. This is part of the reason all you do is see Claudio's f+3, WR+2, and u/f+4(and b+1 before the nerf). f+3 is his only safe decently fast(i18 is not fast though) damaging mid option and there is really no reason to use all these other punishable moves when you can hopkick because it has the best risk reward.

It's kinda the story with the character and why the b+1 nerf seems kinda silly because with the move at -12 why wouldn't I just hopkick instead? Hopkick is faster, gives me good damage on normal hit not just CH, jumps over lows, has good range. The same can be said with so many of his other moves. Like b+2, on hit it gives you Starburst and a KD but it's high and -12. Why would I use it when I can just hopkick? d/f+31 is -12, 1+2 is -14, d/f+2 -13, and the list goes on.

In this regard the character design kinda sucks. He has all these moves but they are useless because none of them do anything better than hopkick. So you end up with the character using like 4 moves over and over again. Nerfing b+1 just means you're going to see a lot more f+3. Nerf f+3 and people are just going to hopkick even more. He needs a rebalancing in terms of move usefulness.

Sayah

Any particularly good tutorial for learning to use stick?

I'm sucking so bad at this.

Sorry Markman, these things are not built for me. So big, bulky, annoying to carry around, huge buttons, make a lot of noise when playing, and I can't do anything right.

Sayah

Woah, I didn't know you could cancel the animation for Dragunov's f+4,4. I just did it on stick and don't know how I did it. Or maybe it was the f+4, d+4 that I cancelled. I don't know.

Oh, so between my middle and index finger.....I'll try that.

No between middle and ring and then turn your hand to the side. Half-Whine glass is what I currently uses because whine glass is hard on K-stick and that's between pinky and ring finger. Doing it this way gives you support for the bottom of the stick and secures it better in your hand IMO.

Sayah

Thanks. Will try that.

Also, are either of Dragunov's f+4,4 or f+4,d+4 animations cancel-able? I just did it and I want to know how.

Sayah

Definitely have a better grip now and accomplishing qcf attacks a few times but still failing on most occasions. I'm often doing WS moves instead of qcf. :/

Edit: This is hopeless.

Sayah

How long have you been learning stick?

It takes weeks and for some even months to get used to, but its worth it imo.

Several months ago, I used it once and didn't like it even after going through some tutorial.
Now I'm using it once more because T7 location test is requiring it but again failing.

I guess it taking weeks or months to learn explains why I'm failing. I haven't spent nearly that much time on learning stick.

When I first took up learning stick, I just did QCF and DP motions in SF4 over and over in practice mode until it got comfortable to me. Took me a few months, but I've heard people getting more comfortable sooner than that.

Like learning any motion on stick, just take it slow and make sure to do things right, then you can speed up later once you get the feeling down. Slow enough that the move may not even come out, just make sure the inputs are clean. You may also come across some instruction that says "don't ride the gate". This isn't really that big of a deal to be conscious of; as you get better/faster you'll naturally not ride the gate (or you'll switch to K-stick with no gate!).

One of the biggest problems I had starting out was hitting the button before completing a full QCF motion (this problem actually still crops up from time to time in faster 2D games like GG or Marvel). Just took time to get the left hand and right hand communicating in unison. Had the same issue with the Giant Swing motion in Tekken too.

AAK

Yeah, Famiom's method is exactly the same way I learned stick. Start simple and move your way up.

It helps to force my brain to consciously trace the trajectory of my hand and wrist as I'm doing the move and actively trying to think of how I can correct my motions to get the action that I wanted.

I had to do the same thing when I went back to pad to play Dead or Alive 5 on PS4... I had to keep on thinking why my motions weren't coming out and had to consciously correct my motions again and again until they were perfect.

Ken got revealed with a new design and moveset.lol.
I wonder how long Harada can dickride now with this development. Bison slightly got one too basically the equivalent of Kazuya getting the thunder cloud design on his pants in 4.

Game looks sweet so far.

AAK

I wouldn't champion this new Ken design just yet. Looks like a visual downgrade to me.

It's an evolution of character to me. It's much more refreshing to see... and some new animations to boot.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CJf3K5sUMAIQI5G.jpg[IMG]

Bruh don't ever tell me this game looks better than Tekken 7. BTW he's hella a shoto.[/QUOTE]

Once you get to play it Tekken 7 online against the masses it won't take long for the game to look much much worse than Street Fighter V:..
[QUOTE][IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CI1FJJLWgAAc5Hm.jpg

I am not implying it does, by a change standpoint it's a worthy effort even if the results are... mixed.

That wasn't direct towards you about the Tekken 7 thing. I am just tired of people saying dumb shit like SFV>>>>>Tekken 7's graphics.

The only thing you have to answer for is the fact that he is 100% a shoto. He has Tatsu, Fireballs, Uppercuts. Maybe you are confusing his "non-shotoness" to the fact when he activates V-Trigger he his special moves become like EX-supers with different properties. But he 100% is a shoto.

It's an evolution of character to me. It's much more refreshing to see... and some new animations to boot.

Once you get to play it Tekken 7 online against the masses it won't take long for the game to look much much worse than Street Fighter V:..

Is picture suppose to disprove my point AAK? Look at Lars' face and hair then look at Ken's. Look at the texture on Lars' cloths look at the lack of it on Ken's. Then realize that Lars' picture way more zoomed in the the Ken one and it STILL looks better on a CUSTOMIZATION too not even his default outfit.

That wasn't direct towards you about the Tekken 7 thing. I am just tired of people saying dumb shit like SFV>>>>>Tekken 7's graphics.

The only thing you have to answer for is the fact that he is 100% a shoto. He has Tatsu, Fireballs, Uppercuts. Maybe you are confusing his "non-shotoness" to the fact when he activates V-Trigger he his special moves become like EX-supers with different properties. But he 100% is a shoto.

I gotcha, I don't think it's fair to compare the two as they use totally different artstyles.

I only said non shoto cause Max said it on twitter but I saw his reveal vid and idk what others are saying. He does have a bunch of new moves though so that's a good switch up.

I gotcha, I don't think it's fair to compare the two as they use totally different artstyles.

I only said non shoto cause Max said it on twitter but I saw his reveal vid and idk what others are saying. He does have a bunch of new moves though so that's a good switch up.

Max Tweeted again saying he is a shoto.

Art Style debate is whatever, I'm not a fan of this art style. They look like clay people. Also Both games are on UE4. One game is offer a tons of different customizations that need to be rendered and textured in 1080p the other has ONE outfit per character period. If anything SFV should look way better cause they only need to concentrate on one outfit. The best part about SFV's graphics are some of the flame and vapor effects. That shit looks sick but the model and texture is just blah even in comparison to MKX. Like why EVEN with that hair color on Ken? What's with his face?

3S art style was so cool. Why can't we having something like that? Like those high res 3S character portraits they made especially for 3S:O but you know 3D characters.

kenmasters-3so.jpg

AAK

Is picture suppose to disprove my point AAK? Look at Lars' face and hair then look at Ken's. Look at the texture on Lars' cloths look at the lack of it on Ken's. Then realize that Lars' picture way more zoomed in the the Ken one and it STILL looks better on a CUSTOMIZATION too not even his default outfit.

I'm saying is the customizations in TTT2 / T7 make the game insufferable to look at. Graphics are not limited to image quality and polygons. The aesthetics play a major role in how good a game looks and the obnoxious levels Tekken is reaching makes it hard to appreciate.

I'm saying is the customizations in TTT2 / T7 make the game insufferable to look at. Graphics are not limited to image quality and polygons. The aesthetics play a major role in how good a game looks and the obnoxious levels Tekken is reaching makes it hard to appreciate.

Hey man you don't have to customize your character. Remember that shit costs like an extra $5 in the arcades.(I know that's not your point)

EDIT: OMG!

CJf-xuRUYAAQCM1.jpg

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.

What the hell happened to lars 0_o

Sayah

@Famicom and AAK,

Thanks for the tips. I'll take it slow. Definitely won't learn to use it properly in time for the location tests then, though.

CJf3K5sUMAIQI5G.jpg

Bruh don't ever tell me this game looks better than Tekken 7. BTW he's hella a shoto.

Yeah, this design is really ugly. I'd rather have the old one. It's like would you rather have josie or Bruce. I'll take Bruce's old Tekken 5 design any day between the two.

Sayah

He definitely looks a lot better in motion. BUt I just can't get over that design. Please fix in the character select screen.

Ken is sadly just another case of 2-D art translated badly in 3-D. :/

I think he looks fine otherwise.

He's just a case of bad art direction if you ask me. We can discuss the merits of 2D and 3D all day but if the art style is buns it's buns. Street Fighter V is super weird with it's art style too. It's like the males are super cartoon and look like they are made from clay and the women look like plastic dolls. It's so odd and unappealing to me personally.

Like I get what they were going for with the hair but they failed because of poor art direction. Someone didn't come in and go "Ken's hair style looks best when it has sharp angles, so make it more straight" and "That shade of yellow is too bright fix it, mix in some darker highlights too". And then you do something real simple you go "Chris Hemsworth is super hot and everyone loves him. Make Ken's face look like Hemsworth" and boom.

I really wish they would go back to 2D but it's just so much more cost effective to do this. DIMPS is pretty much a budget developer too. They are getting a hella good deal on the production of this game.

Sayah

During SFV's initial reveal, I thought the game looked great even though a lot of people were comparing it to SFIV.

Then they showed an updated version and I was really stunned with the graphics quality.

And now they've shown an ugly design for Ken and new stages that also have terrible texture work.

I hope it's just that way because it's work in progress and not another Dark Souls 2 situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom