• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Numb

I vote gorilla for new animal character.

Every good fighter knows when to run away.

giphy.gif

Plus, they can be bipedal and would actually work. :p
indeed.
Not enough gorrilla repping in fighters.

I'm glad you knuckleheads didn't mention someone like Gon.

VZvTRYT.png

I really think some people should go back and play Tekken 3.
A reason there. Wanted a bigger version of him then you have Alex. If he didn't come back in TT2 then won't see him again.

Brawler Mokujin.

awww-yeah.jpg

I don't know why but the game really likes to give Sebastian instead of Lili when playing Mokujin. Really screws up my bnbs because my normal fillers don't work.
Or bounds. Or pretty much anything outside of basic pokes.
Mokujin is weird like that.Very hard to tell sometimes.
Got Jacks an entire match like 5 rounds.

sasuke_91

Mokujin is weird like that.Very hard to tell sometimes.
Got Jacks an entire match like 5 rounds.

He's random, but not really random. That's... pretty random...

Are we even gonna get anything new around Tekken 7 this year?

No, because now it's SFV's time to shine. Oh, and next year is probably SFV's year, so no big update for the Arcades. You expected T7 for consoles before Fall 2017? Don't be so naive...

Yeah... I really hope we'll get some news. It's been quiet for too long.

Numb

Dunno, when does "Capcom's turn" end?

When Ultra SFV gets it's last update.
He's random, but not really random. That's... pretty random...

No, because now it's SFV's time to shine. Oh, and next year is probably SFV's year, so no big update for the Arcades. You expected T7 for consoles before Fall 2017? Don't be so naive...

Yeah... I really hope we'll get some news. It's been quiet for too long.
only guys that confuse me are the clones.
Gotta do something moove with Lili/moku to know sometimes. Same with capos.

GrayFoxPL

We should get something by end of the year, if not then Harada is clowning around. Tekken Project team getting juggled with nonsense projects.

I actually feel sorry for these guys. Instead of working and finishing one game at normal human pace, Harada is like: "Drop everything, do Pokken! I'm feeling kawai! Develop Summer vacation!"

HW5qnbz.gif

Numb

Whaaat? Are you guys the only ones who are allowed to pretend to be funny? :p

I still wonder if by "this month" he means October or he's already talking about November.
Lol
well gigas will look better in such a costume that whatever he has now

hoping this month

GrayFoxPL

It's gonna be Bruce Irwin, because why not!

"We gonna give Kazuya DJ's b+4!"

"So we cut out Devil Jin?"

"No!"

"But we'll replace his b+4 with something new?"

"No!"

kdHcN20.gif

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Although, if they did show their heads at Paris Games Week, that'd be pretty cool.

NOPE NOPE

Not getting even a little excited

Numb

Need countries that don't get repped in fighters more. Most of Africa,South america aint just 2 countries,non Jap-thai-chinese asians also.
It is fighters so going full stereotype on cultures can't be helped but should go easy with them.

Creaking

Seriously though, you got all of Africa and not a single Tekken rep. A whole continent.

Closest we've got is Zafina and her pseudo-Egyptian thing.

The series is also missing a black woman, which is just... kinda weird. Like, there's not a single one in any way shape or form. No side characters or npcs or anything. Josie and Christie are the darkest they get. Anyway, It'd be a good chance to kill two birds with one stone, in terms of sporting a more diverse cast. If they wanted to be really daring, they could make her older than 30.

Although she'd probably end up being built off the carcass of an old fighter, so maybe hold that idea until next time.

sasuke_91

She's from Monaco.

Voiced by a Canadian voice actor.

We need more French.

You're right. Speaking french is not the same as being French :p

Seriously though, you got all of Africa and not a single Tekken rep. A whole continent.

The series is also missing a black woman, which is just... kinda weird. Like, there's not a single one in any way shape or form. No side characters or npcs or anything. Josie and Christie are the darkest they get. Anyway, It'd be a good chance to kill two birds with one stone, in terms of sporting a more diverse cast. If they wanted to be really daring, they could make her older than 30.

Although she'd probably end up being built off the carcass of an old fighter, so maybe hold that idea until next time.

Why take the Quincy and not Yoruichi from Bleach? Sexiest black woman in Anime. And not a cute moe character either.
Lately I've... been quite fixated on the fact that Claudio looks like a Bleach character.

Numb

preach
You're right. Speaking french is not the same as being French :p

Why take the Quincy and not Yoruichi from Bleach? Sexiest black woman in Anime. And not a cute moe character either.
Lately I've... been quite fixated on the fact that Claudio looks like a Bleach character.
no one is ever clearly black and stated.
Alway a mixed or something else.
Yoroichi is pretty cool.
Claudioo i also like for some reason.

AAK

This reminds me: on the topic of black characters, boutdown really educated me on the real problem in this industry. I never noticed an issue until he linked the Bloodborne black character attempt thread through steam chat. And then I realized that so many of the black characters in Japanese media are just the usual caucasian/oriental figure in a darker skin tone. There is a traditional "black hairstyle" that is almost never adopted. He also mentioned how Mortal Kombat's Jackie Briggs is really the only female black character in fighting games with an accompanying "black hairstyle". And then when you look at the others such as Elena(SF) or Vanessa(VF) it really doesn't resemble a black character at all. And now sasuke mentioned Yoruichi from Bleach. Same problem as Blue from Wolf's Rain. After looking at the hair-styles these characters that are supposed to be black come off more as south and south-east Asians.

Welp, here we go guys, set phasers to reasonable expectations!

https://twitter.com/SDTEKKEN/status/656721063921848320

Can bet my account whatever they're teasing will not introduce any new mechanics to the game or redo so many of the legacy animations or new supply new art for old characters that I've been asking for.

Creaking

This reminds me: on the topic of black characters, boutdown really educated me on the real problem in this industry. I never noticed an issue until he linked the Bloodborne black character attempt thread through steam chat. And then I realized that so many of the black characters in Japanese media are just the usual caucasian/oriental figure in a darker skin tone. There is a traditional "black hairstyle" that is almost never adopted. He also mentioned how Mortal Kombat's Jackie Briggs is really the only female black character in fighting games with an accompanying "black hairstyle". And then when you look at the others such as Elena(SF) or Vanessa(VF) it really doesn't resemble a black character at all. And now sasuke mentioned Yoruichi from Bleach. Same problem as Blue from Wolf's Rain. After looking at the hair-styles these characters that are supposed to be black come off more as south and south-east Asians.

That's very true too. It can sometimes be prevalent with facial features too, though that tends to be more of a problem with character creators.

sasuke_91

no one is ever clearly black and stated.
Alway a mixed or something else.
Yoroichi is pretty cool.
Claudioo i also like for some reason.

You guys are right. I didn't consider the fact that it's more than just skin color. Sorry for that.

Numb

Can bet my account whatever they're teasing will not introduce any new mechanics to the game or redo so many of the legacy animations or new supply new art for old characters that I've been asking for.
You guys are right. I didn't consider the fact that it's more than just skin color. Sorry for that.

Indeed
The ambiguously black effect.

Dereck

I was reading AAK's post and I was slightly worried that maybe he would paraphrase a few things that I said, and he didn't, thanks man, I appreciate it, that's exactly what I said.

One more thing I mentioned just recently to Numb, is that fighting games are extremely stereotypical and antiquated when it comes down to the characters, how they look, sound, act, fight, all of that stuff. The issue with fighting games now, moreso, with Japanese fighters is that they are old. Mortal Kombat X, once again, I have to bring up this game since it's done so many things right, shows a good example of a fighting game that is not completely antiquated in those aspects that I mentioned.

Feng Wei, Marshall Law, Ganryu, Paul Pheonix, Jin Kazama, Kazuya Mishima, these kind of characters, to me, they don't give me a feeling that they are real people. I just can't imagine Kazuya going to the store to buy paper towels. He's just some guy with a particular character design from such a long time ago. There needs to either be, a fighting game that re-events the way characters look, Tekken 4 is a good example of this, or there needs to be a brand new fighting game that takes place in 2015, and that actually has characters in it that are from 2015. Who the fuck is Feng Wei really? I just don't think that someone like Feng Wei exists within the same realm of someone like Miguel.

Someone like Feng Wei is just a copy of some other guy from another Japanese thing. Someone like Miguel Rojo, the Tekken Tag 2 iteration, is an OK example of a character that I could actually imagine existing.

I get a sense that Cassie Cage is actually a person. She's 22 years old, she's in the military, she's white, young, and she is a person from 2015. One of her fatalities includes her taking a selfie of her and her opponent, and then she posts it on Facebook. Why don't I see characters like Ling or Lili talking on the phone as a win pose? Why are their costumes so oddly, particularly uncommon? The aesthetic of their designs only makes them exist within this unrealistic world. In what time period does Tekken take place now? It's confusing, there seems to be nothing modern about Tekken 7, and this idea that I'm talking about, it's just bullshit, just me talking with no real point, I'm not saying Tekken should do this, I'm just illustrating that, the most popular fighting games all stick to a formula. They use characters from the most popular countries with the most recognizable fighting styles. The most stereotyped people, equipped with the most archaic designs. Aren't people tired of seeing the same black boxer/muy thai guy? What about that same Indian guy, that same Karate guy, that same tomboy girl, that same Chinese girl with the pigtails, etc.

EDIT: The clear negligence in the inclusion of a black character that is from America, outlines the fact that Japanese companies know that they have no fucking clue how to create a black character from America without basing he or she on a stereotype. So what is the safer choice? Make nothing, we make no black characters, because now that if we released black boxer guy #3 Demario Williams, no one would like him or give a shit. He would be interchangeable. The black woman thing is so far beyond their scope that I am not surprised by the lack of that type of character. I would expect that from an American fighting game franchise, and Mortal Kombat X has two black women in it. There is no question that they are black, they both have black hair (really? not white, purple, blue, blonde?).

On another note, the only black female character in DOA, I believe didn't even make it into the DOA Extreme 3 roster, smh. For real, all of the characters in that DOA Volleyball game look the same with varying heights and hairstyles, there is so little diversity, but that's not their problem, that's just the demographic that they're appealing to.

Numb

I was reading AAK's post and I was slightly worried that maybe he would paraphrase a few things that I said, and he didn't, thanks man, I appreciate it, that's exactly what I said.

One more thing I mentioned just recently to Numb, is that fighting games are extremely stereotypical and antiquated when it comes down to the characters, how they look, sound, act, fight, all of that stuff. The issue with fighting games now, moreso, with Japanese fighters is that they are old. Mortal Kombat X, once again, I have to bring up this game since it's done so many things right, shows a good example of a fighting game that is not antiquated in those aspects that I mentioned.

Feng Wei, Marshall Law, Ganryu, Paul Pheonix, Jin Kazama, Kazuya Mishima, these kind of characters, to me, they don't give me a feeling that they are real people. I just can't imagine Kazuya going to the store to buy paper towels. He's just some guy with a particular character design from such a long time ago. There needs to either be, a fighting game that re-events the way characters look, Tekken 4 is a good example of this, or there needs to be a brand new fighting game that takes place in 2015, and that actually has characters in it that are from 2015. Who the fuck is Feng Wei really? I just don't think that someone like Feng Wei exists within the same realm of someone like Miguel.

Someone like Feng Wei is just a copy of some other guy from another Japanese thing. Someone like Miguel Rojo, the Tekken Tag 2 iteration, is an OK example of a character that I could actually imagine existing.

I get a sense that Cassie Cage is actually a person. She's 22 years old, she's in the military, she's white, young, and she is younger than me. One of her fatalities includes her taking a selfie of her and her opponent, and then she posts it on Facebook. Why don't I see characters like Ling or Lili talking on the phone as a win pose? Why are their costumes so oddly, particularly uncommon? The aesthetic of their designs only makes them exist within this unrealistic world. In what time period does Tekken take place now? It's confusing, there seems to be nothing modern about Tekken 7, and this idea that I'm talking about, it's just bullshit, just me talking with no real point, I'm not saying Tekken should do this, I'm just illustrating that, the most popular fighting games all stick to a formula. They use characters from the most popular countries with the most recognizable fighting styles. The most stereotyped people, equipped with the most archaic designs. Aren't people tired of seeing the same black boxer/muy thai guy? What about that same Indian guy, that same Karate guy, that same tomboy girl, that same Chinese girl with the pigtails, etc.
Well said.Was a good discussion
The stereotyping has gone too far. Before we even get to real world humans you got to get through all the characters inspired by things they seen in fiction. Rarely coming up with original guys.(very hard to do this i know but seems like people just defaulting to already established things)Just copying parts from anime/manga/tv and famous fighters.

Real world and they just google what a country is famous for what martial art they used in ancient times or something.Spain?give him matador clothes.Brazil?slap capo on his ass. Mexico?must be a masked lucha wrestler. Good reason you could say since most people's knowledge of countries fighting extends as far as that. The martial selection is not the issue tho. The problem is them just being a bag of random stereotypes AFTER their martial art. Why can't someone use their country's martial art without having the stereotypes with it? I can't understand.

Then you get to black people. Well nothing can be said for tekken. You got wesley snipes and bruce got a chicken. Bruce less serious since he doesn't have much crazy going on with him and even his fighting style is not steretypical(like boxers. example both balrog and dudley,combo from KI,Heavy D from KOF etc) They way they have been handled in Tekken 7 shows you how far thought process they have put behind them.It's none.
I just hope they realize they are not equipped to design like they have with sheen and consult with black people aswell. That stream from before with Mike and Harada talking about black people was just sad.

Dereck

When the developers of Sonic Adventure were making Sonic Adventure back in the late 90s, they said that they traveled to different parts of the world and took photographs of the environments. They did this because they wanted to model certain parts of the game after environments that actually existed.

People could do this to aid them in creating more unique fighting game characters. This idea is unrealistic just because, obviously this costs a lot of money. What I'm getting at is that if people traveled the world to some of the most obscure locations for fighters, whether it be Guam, Greenland, Ukraine, whatever, and went to where people fight in the country, they would come across real people who are really fighting right now who really exist. The point I'm trying to make is that I could make a character roster like the one in Street Fighter if I Googled a country's name, and then stereotype after it. Shit, I could make a roster of like 20 characters by just doing that. If the developers travel however it would give them a huge database of people and fighting styles and the way people look and act in certain countries. That would give them and real world blueprint, and as a result, give them are more realistic world a feel for their video game.

Numb

These big companies like Capcom and Namco reps do travel alot automatically to promote stuff too.
Maybe if they took input from the real life people and things they saw instead of repeating stuff and character types from 3 decades ago?

Dereck

I'm gonna Google something and do an experiment. This is something modern. I'm not saying that I want this kind of character in Tekken, just saying that this is something real. Take notes Japan.

Numb

I'm gonna Google something and do an experiment. This is something modern. I'm saying that I want this kind of character in Tekken, just saying that this is something real. Take notes Japan.

What if Chief Keef wanted to participate in The Iron Fist Tournament?
Too modern for their tastes..and a cap? No way it will happpen.
Maybe if this was divekick lololol
Where's the ancient chicago rapping based martial art with a weird getup?

Just give me Wesley Snipes, Harada and don't bullshit me with "Who's black, right?"
lol

The way characters have been added (or not been added) speaks to me in a very simple way.

Namco wants this game to sell. In Japan.

Consider who is already in T7. The core cast, minus a couple (Nina/Anna for example). The fan favorites, Lars, Alisa, Lili, Asuka. The new characters, Chloe, Claudio? Very Japanese styled designs. Gigas and Josie? Surely easier to sell a monster and woman than the two black men they most resemble style wise, Marduk and Bruce. Shaheen and Katarina are solid outliers, but they are also sexy and that can be sold.

There was that quote going around about Tekken's sales being 90% international? Maybe not everyone sees that as a positive thing. Besides, the world already loved Tekken right? They'll just buy this one again too.

And boy does it still bother me that the company went to great lengths learn and design an Arab character so to not offend their people, but wouldn't give the same level of care to a Western/American character, and have instead decided to remove characters who, while stereotypical, weren't offensive. I wish I had a text transcript of what Murray said when asked about black characters so I could remember exactly why I'm mad.

But hey, new news coming, still more characters to come, still plenty of time, yadda yadda. I'm chillin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom