• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah, the costumes are suuuuuch an improvement over MK9. MK9 Mileena compared to MKX Mileena, dear lord.

Put the plethora of new characters on top of that and the fact they made the three variation thing work out fairly well in the end, and they definitely deserve respect. (Dvorah really is great ^.^ )

Makes it extra sad how they messed up the netcode at launch and the PC version and went overboard with the patching. Maybe the next game will be THE ONE where they get (almost) all the things right?

Or perhaps KoF14 will. (Probably not, at the very least the graphics would need some sort of god tier enhancement. Though yesterday i first thought 'this looks pretty nice' when seeing some KoF14 new build footage, so who knows. Also, netcode. I'm worried. )

Or maybe T7 will! Surely it will have top tier everything if they make us wait so long. Surely.

---
You know what i really want a fighting game to get right at some point? Ranking. For some reason it doesn't seem to have dawned on anyone making one that a ranking system and a progression system ought to be different things, since they have different goals.
A progression system seeks to keep you invested long term with aesthetic unlocks, a sense of improvement, seeing numbers go up or whatever. I think something like Overwatch has a great/insidious system for this and everyone should try to copy it if they want a way to keep players around long term.
A ranking system should seek to get you to play people of -your skill- as fast as possible, basically make everyone even out at 50% win rate within as few games played as possible. Every time i run into someone with a record like 89-2 in Tekken i get pissed off. NINETY games on and the system can't figure out this guy is playing folks below his level? Your system fecking sucks then. In SFV it's even worse, their system blithely matches up ~1000 LP people with ~13000 LP ones. Those matches aren't of any value to anyone.
</rant>

You know what i really want a fighting game to get right at some point? Ranking. For some reason it doesn't seem to have dawned on anyone making one that a ranking system and a progression system ought to be different things, since they have different goals.
A progression system seeks to keep you invested long term with aesthetic unlocks, a sense of improvement, seeing numbers go up or whatever. I think something like Overwatch has a great/insidious system for this and everyone should try to copy it if they want a way to keep players around long term.
A ranking system should seek to get you to play people of -your skill- as fast as possible, basically make everyone even out at 50% win rate within as few games played as possible. Every time i run into someone with a record like 89-2 in Tekken i get pissed off. NINETY games on and the system can't figure out this guy is playing folks below his level? Your system fecking sucks then. In SFV it's even worse, their system blithely matches up ~1000 LP people with ~13000 LP ones. Those matches aren't of any value to anyone.
</rant>

Fighting games need a much larger player pool before they can institute more granular matchmaking. That said, there need to be better ways to handle things. Funny enough, I think the ranking system in TTT2 is almost optimal, but the ease of making multiple PSN accounts ruins it. When the game was at its peak health in the first year I definitely felt a sense of skill progression with each rank up.

</rant>

You know, I've been thinking about the subject of the purpose of Ranked mode mainly on fighting game and how all of these games are making a ranking system that is not only intimidating to players with low skill, but absolutely useless in determining of how good a player is, mainly because those modes have a ranking point distribution process that is bad (especially in the case of SF5, that's why I think it's the main reason that game is rampant with rage quitters).

I might actually set down and write a thread/post about this in the few coming weeks.

You know, I've been thinking about the subject of the purpose of Ranked mode mainly on fighting game and how all of these games are making a ranking system that is not only intimidating to players with low skill, but absolutely useless in determining of how good a player is, mainly because those modes have a ranking point distribution process that is bad (especially in the case of SF5, that's why I think it's the main reason that game is rampant with rage quitters).

I might actually set down and write a thread/post about this in the few coming weeks.

Do it! If it's talked about it might inspire some of these companies to take a closer look at what they're doing.

Sayah

Since there's <1% chance of T7FR being at E3 and earlier reports said Bamco are showing a fighting game there, SC may just have a chance...

Please Bamco, I need something.

Jtqj3GI.png

Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 was already revealed and it's probably just going to be more gameplay of that.

sasuke_91

SquirrelSoup said:
</rant>

Nobody really has Ranked figured out yet. And I don't think that TTT2 is optimal either. Giving you the same amount of points when you beat someone two ranks above and below you is dumb in my opinion. And don't let me get started on the rerankers.

Got some bad news for you..
T6 was late too

T6's netcode was garbage and the campaign mode was senseless and dumb and no fun but at least they were ambitious with that game. I really hope we can say the same when T7 comes out one day.

Fighting games need a much larger player pool before they can institute more granular matchmaking. That said, there need to be better ways to handle things. Funny enough, I think the ranking system in TTT2 is almost optimal, but the ease of making multiple PSN accounts ruins it. When the game was at its peak health in the first year I definitely felt a sense of skill progression with each rank up.

Cross-play could take care of the larger player pool. If PS4/Xbone and PC players could play together that would be amazing. Biggest community ever!

GrayFoxPL

Please no cross over with PC. Too many hackers & bots.

This is one of the reasons I'm saying T7 is not coming to PC.

Game would be totally dismantled on PC togheter with any elaborate "arcade-mimic" system they could have planned, not to mention, hacked unplayable god-mode dudes and nude characters everywhere.

There's almost nothing to gain by releasing the game on PC. But it's kinda how all FG on PC
go, there are more hacks then actual players interested in honest play.

There's almost nothing to gain by releasing the game on PC. But it's kinda how all FG on PC
go, there are more hacks then actual players interested in honest play

... Are you serious ?

Anyway, the game will come on PC according to the rumors, and that's great :)

And if there is crossplay, i'm sure you'll be able to disable it.

Why are there so many people ignorant about pc gaming? Yeah people cheat but it isn't nowhere near as rampant as tall try to make it at all. I've played SFV since day one and haven't ran across one cheater and I've done over 100+ hours in the game. This ain't CSGO or COD. Most people who are going to play the game are gonna play just as honest as the console players. In terms of nude characters it's all client side so you ain't gonna see them when you play them so why does that matter?

AllenShrz

Why are there so many people ignorant about pc gaming? Yeah people cheat but it isn't nowhere near as rampant as tall try to make it at all. I've played SFV since day one and haven't ran across one cheater and I've done over 100+ hours in the game. This ain't CSGO or COD. Most people who are going to play the game are gonna play just as honest as the console players. In terms of nude characters it's all client side so you ain't gonna see them when you play them so why does that matter?

Ignorant? please.

There are too many cheaters online, even on SFV, they were even present on the beta! Mostly bots that would only react.

Just take a look at T Revolution! Hackers on a closed platform! infinite HP, one KO hits, all day long! And do you see namco doing anything at all? NO! And remember thats a game in which you have to pay to play(speaking generally).

Whats makes you think namco will care about hackers on the PC? maybe on the month of release but after that, no.

I'm sorry but FadedRevolution is right, cheating on fighters isn't as rampant as you like to make it out to be. And if you wouldn't be getting the PC version anyway why should others miss out?.

AllenShrz

I'm sorry but FadedRevolution is right, cheating on fighters isn't as rampant as you like to make it out to be. And if you wouldn't be getting the PC version anyway why should others miss out?.

Hey, hush hush. I will get all the versions, no need to speak for others, I just prefer a more fair fight.

If it comes to PC I'll be 120hrz and 4ksh this game all day long.

AAK

I brought up Tekken Revolution to illustrate that cheaters will cheat regardless if there is a PC version or not since it exists in consoles as well.

Ranks in Tag 2 had actual meaning for a long time too. Put that shit on PC where you can hack ranks & it will mean nothing like it does in SFV. Imagine if T7 console has revenge match and you run into a bot? That'd be a guaranteed loss cause even if you won the bot would keep rematching. The game should 100% come out on PC but there shouldn't be cross play with console IMO.

Numb

Played Tekken Rev just for the first 30 days and saw no cheaters
Although those one shotting vids are pretty hilarious

GrayFoxPL

Did something change in the last month or so?

When i last played it was TONS of hackers/lagswitch quitters. On a bad day, half of the people i played.

That quit at the beginning of the round is not deliberate it's a very well known netcode bug that namco never fixed. Didn't met any hacker for at least half a year but maybe it's just me, but I remember that rampart hack period very long time ago.

That quit at the beginning of the round is not deliberate it's a very well known netcode bug that namco never fixed. Didn't met any hacker for at least half a year but maybe it's just me, but I remember that rampart hack period very long time ago.

It's not at the beginning of the round. It's people obviously pushing the lagswitch button when you're about to take it, to turn it into a win for both.

I keep running into a whole bunch of people obviously scamming their way to the top rank.

GrayFoxPL

It's not at the beginning of the round. It's people obviously pushing the lagswitch button when you're about to take it, to turn it into a win for both.

I keep running into a whole bunch of people obviously scamming their way to the top rank.

This is going on even in Tag2. I meant the hackers who had 9999 stats and infinite health. Haven't met one in ages.

To clear the PC thing: I'm not saying there shouldn't be PC version, I'm saying NamcoB won't do it and I said why.

You can serve me the crow when it happens, but how many times it was suppose to happen already?

This is going on even in Tag2. I meant the hackers who had 9999 stats and infinite health. Haven't met one in ages.

In Tag 2 i've seen it maybe once. In TR it's all the time. It doesn't help that in TR a lagswitch disconnect gives both players a win while in Tag 2 it's just.. nothing. So you can't boost yourself up the ranks with just a lagswitch, you have to actually win matches in Tag 2. Of course that gives rise to people who quit on everyone but their pal who lets them win...

And as to the 9999 stats hackers, sadly, i still run into those too.

Glad it hasn't been as bad for you, but for me it's been a fecking shitshow. How hard can it be to ban folks that have so obviously hacked stats?

----
Story time: One guy on my friend list boosted himself to the top of the leaderboard in one of the Blazblue revisions. He had 11000 matches played and 10990 won, all against the same guy. That grind.

He asked me whether those stats carried over from CSE to CP or whichever version it was, and when i said they didn't he decided he wasn't going to buy the game.

lol

I for one definitely believe that if Tekken 7 comes to PC there should be cross play. Fuck fragmented communities. Will you run into cheaters? It's likely but it's up to developers to come up with ways to fight that. This bullshit of "PC players do nothing but cheat" shit needs to stop because it isn't true. There are assholes who cheat on PC and consoles. The vast majority of players just want to play the game just like you.

GrayFoxPL

In Tag 2 i've seen it maybe once. In TR it's all the time. It doesn't help that in TR a lagswitch disconnect gives both players a win while in Tag 2 it's just.. nothing. So you can't boost yourself up the ranks with just a lagswitch, you have to actually win matches in Tag 2. Of course that gives rise to people who quit on everyone but their pal who lets them win...

And as to the 9999 stats hackers, sadly, i still run into those too.

Glad it hasn't been as bad for you, but for me it's been a fecking shitshow. How hard can it be to ban folks that have so obviously hacked stats?

----
Story time: One guy on my friend list boosted himself to the top of the leaderboard in one of the Blazblue revisions. He had 11000 matches played and 10990 won, all against the same guy. That grind.

He asked me whether those stats carried over from CSE to CP or whichever version it was, and when i said they didn't he decided he wasn't going to buy the game.

lol

It's been the other way around for me, lag switchers in Tag2 can be crazy, thou depends on a day. Maybe I just don't play Revo as much, it's just a "training" game for me. So I believe your experience.

About banning hackers, for that someone at NB must have to care for it to happen. They abandoned the game in a blink of an eye. They are giving the "We don't care." signals for a long time now, I just hope they don't abandon T7 when they can't make console version a cash cow like the arcade.

I don't trust them, anyone of them.

If some poor code crunching dev from Tekken Project team came out said what the fuck is really going on behind the scenes then sure. But Harada, Murray or even MarkMan.

XkWKCfQ.gif

Manbig

As long as there is a SFV style option to turn off pc opponents, then there is no good reason to not release a PC version. It would be straight up stupid to ignore the PC market in this day and age.

Numb

As long as there is a SFV style option to turn off pc opponents, then there is no good reason to not release a PC version. It would be straight up stupid to ignore the PC market in this day and age.

Best solution. Doubt people will be only about cheating all the time but still.
Also need the option to not see customs.

----------

Aris please

images

Numb

Ghaha Justin with dem long rage normals. Got me.

Y6D0WwB.gif

Live now talking bout how he'll get chased like the T1000 for the hug
Love it anytime he streams SCII and goes deep into the lore and history of alot of things...then goes back to Dark Souls for the 20th time -_-

GrayFoxPL

Watching now.

"When I was competing (in SCII) I was downplaying my character all the time."

Haha, I gotta do that. ;)

Edit: Aris going hard on beating "Moron Kombat" players as a Tekken player was hilarious. "I got 2 boners just thinking about it."

Damn, that SoulCalibur talk, "There are 3 SC nerds - fuck'em". Lol.

But he's right about that there's huge hole where 3D fighters were, and no one is taking advantage of it. And the way he talks about T7 being "way over horizon" that hole is even bigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom