• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrayFoxPL

I hate Bob...

@GrayFox: The thread is closed now. But that "master race" shit is stupid and disgusting. Luckily, I've never heard that term in a non-ironic way.

By the way, a friend of mine lent me his stick. Any advice on how to get started with this thing? :D

Wish I could get back to stick.

If you have balltop, reverse your hand with palm facing upwards with stick between fingers - oldschool style! ;)

DEATH™

I hate Bob...

@GrayFox: The thread is closed now. But that "master race" shit is stupid and disgusting. Luckily, I've never heard that term in a non-ironic way.

By the way, a friend of mine lent me his stick. Any advice on how to get started with this thing? :D

1. Keep your hands on a comfortable position AND KEEP IT THAT WAY. You want to build muscle memory, and changing your hand position every single time will be counter productive for that objective

2. MINIMIZE WRIST MOVEMENT. You want your fingers and/or arm doing all the moving, not your wrist, or you risk having irreversible wrist pain.

3. Start slow and get the movement right, and when I say movement, I mean your hand movement. You want to get it right, speed will come later.

4. You'll be frustrated for a while, but keep at it!

AAK

This thread has reached 19k posts...

Sayah was right:

We'll reach OT3 before Tekken 7 releases.

I started stick when I was magnitudes inferior at the game. You have the disadvantage of playing Tekken at a point where your execution on pad was already at very high level. All I can warn you about is that you'll be incredibly frustrated throughout the transition. Other than that, just play around with it and find a style that works for you. There is no wrong or right way (as long as you're not injuring yourself).You already know what inputs are required to execute certain moves. Find the most comfortable method of moving the lever that you yourself can get used to. How I orient my fingers along with using certain phalanges to do soemthing like a crouch dash is almost certainly different to how Famicom, Death, or anyone else do it.

Rajang

You want to switch to stick? Your execution is already incredible. I dont see what a switch to stick will do.

I tried learning arcade stick, bought the hori arcade pro 4 kai. It felt like I had to relearn everything, I never felt in control and I gave up after like 3 months.

I've been forced to play on stick for T7 arcade. After a couple months I'm at the point where I can do moves/combos fine but my movement still isn't great. IDK If I'll ever adjust completely. Guess I have a few more months to see till console.

sasuke_91

Wish I could get back to stick.

If you have balltop, reverse your hand with palm facing upwards with stick between fingers - oldschool style! ;)

It's a balltop. I tried the way TMM showed in his tutorial, but I'll probably stick to wine glass style.

I tried for 2 months and finally gave up , now its collecting dust, it was a christmas gift so no biggie , will maybe try again... who knows.

I figure it'll be hard, but it's worth a try. He doesn't need it for some time, so I probably have enough time to see if I can make it or not.

DEATH™;216615348 said:
1. Keep your hands on a comfortable position AND KEEP IT THAT WAY. You want to build muscle memory, and changing your hand position every single time will be counter productive for that objective

2. MINIMIZE WRIST MOVEMENT. You want your fingers and/or arm doing all the moving, not your wrist, or you risk having irreversible wrist pain.

3. Start slow and get the movement right, and when I say movement, I mean your hand movement. You want to get it right, speed will come later.

4. You'll be frustrated for a while, but keep at it!

Thanks for the advice! Some very important points to remember in the future.

I started stick when I was magnitudes inferior at the game. You have the disadvantage of playing Tekken at a point where your execution on pad was already at very high level. All I can warn you about is that you'll be incredibly frustrated throughout the transition. Other than that, just play around with it and find a style that works for you. There is no wrong or right way (as long as you're not injuring yourself).You already know what inputs are required to execute certain moves. Find the most comfortable method of moving the lever that you yourself can get used to. How I orient my fingers along with using certain phalanges to do soemthing like a crouch dash is almost certainly different to how Famicom, Death, or anyone else do it.

It might be "too late" which is why it'll probably be incredibly frustrating. I already noticed that running attacks are a bit easier on stick though.
BDC and wavedash is impossible right now, but I managed to execute a few JFSRs already :p

You want to switch to stick? Your execution is already incredible. I dont see what a switch to stick will do.

I tried learning arcade stick, bought the hori arcade pro 4 kai. It felt like I had to relearn everything, I never felt in control and I gave up after like 3 months.

I might minimize wrong inputs by switching to stick, but honestly, I only have one because my brother made the suggestion. He wanted to try it out and said that pad players might be at a disadvantage. He is right with a few things though: the digipad on pad gets softer and softer the more you play, so movement gets more sluggish.
With that, wrong inputs also become more common.
I can't play on the DS4 anymore I bought 2 years ago. I currently play on my new DS4 which came with the PS4.

Thanks for the advice guys. And thanks to Famicom as well, who already gave me some advice on Discord.

And also, Eid Mubarak AAK, Sayah, Numb and whoever else is reading :)
I'm in the library studying at the moment, but I'll go home soon to spend the rest of the day with my family.

Nuszka

Looking at some Mai Shiranui gameplay from DoA5 LR - this is how i imagined a transition of a 2D fighter in to a 3D space , feels totally fresh and at the same time retains the characters personality and main moves. Akuma in T7 feels a bit lazy in comparison and as we now doesn't fit the game that much.

Numb

Looking at some Mai Shiranui gameplay from DoA5 LR - this is how i imagined a transition of a 2D fighter in to a 3D space , feels totally fresh and at the same time retains the characters personality and main moves. Akuma in T7 feels a bit lazy in comparison and as we now doesn't fit the game that much.
True

Sayah

I wonder if Namco will ever allow a Tekken or SoulCalibur character into DoA already. With how well DoA5 has done, I think DoA6 is imminent as well.

I honestly prefer Akuma the way he is right now. He breaks the conventions and makes matches a lot more exciting.

Most exciting characters to watch: Akuma, Paul, Hwoarang, some Alisa players

Most boring to watch: Bob definitely and sometimes Leo.

sasuke_91

Tried some more stick today. Wine glass is somewhat comfortable, but my ring and pinkie finger are in the way when I try to backdash (or press db in general).

Made a video of how I hold the stick. I tried to show basic inputs like forward, back. After that the basic input for BDC (really slow) and crouch dash (also slow).
My favourite move (JFSR :p) and this combo with Steve:
uf+4, df+1,2~1~B, 1, f+2,1~B, f+3,1 wall splat
f,2,1~B~db, WS+1,2 B! 3,1,1

Should have recorded a video with the combo as well, but I hope you get the idea Oo

Edit: Forgot the question lol. Is that the "right way" or should I change position somehow to not let my fingers get in the way? I don't want to hold it wrong and get used to it.

https://youtu.be/PxohTdHVWVs

AAK

I'm the first person on GAF that will always call Namco out on where they skimped out on Tekken 7. However, Akuma's movelist is DEFINITELY not one of them. They had to completely create a brand new control scheme to accommodate his movelist. The conventional notation doesn't even work to describe Akuma's movelist because of his verticality. And he was given double the amount of moves in Tekken 7 than his Street Fighter counterpart. He has moves that he can do off of while running, while rising, wakeup, and a bunch of other pokes and strings unique to Tekken. Making Akuma work the way he does in Tekken and accommodating the street fighter fundamentals in a system as unique as Tekken's is by far one of the most impressive game design feats I've ever seen. Mai is just another DOA character. There's nothing about her gameplay from KOF that involves hops, dive kicks, anti-airs that translates into DOA. While that satisfies the bare minimum for DOA5 it's no where near as impressive as what Namco manged with Akuma in T7.

But Bob's T7 movelist, TTT2 recycled customizations, Tekken 2 legacy animations, among other things... Now THOSE I can agree are the laziest things you can see in a sequel to a game. :p

Numb

Tried some more stick today. Wine glass is somewhat comfortable, but my ring and pinkie finger are in the way when I try to backdash (or press db in general).

Made a video of how I hold the stick. I tried to show basic inputs like forward, back. After that the basic input for BDC (really slow) and crouch dash (also slow).

Should have recorded a video with the combo as well, but I hope you get the idea Oo

Edit: Forgot the question lol. Is that the "right way" or should I change position somehow to not let my fingers get in the way? I don't want to hold it wrong and get used to it.

We should fight some time
It's definitely not cos I wanna beat you while you still practice stick no sir

GrayFoxPL

Check out this guy. Insane, right?

Your wrist and finger muscles basically must know martial arts.

Dude has tutorial how to use your fingers on balltop to push directions.

Wavedash practice vid.

Nuszka

Making Akuma work the way he does in Tekken and accommodating the street fighter fundamentals in a system as unique as Tekken's is by far one of the most impressive game design feats I've ever seen.

Its just in my head but when they announced TKxSF i honestly thought that we will be getting a tekken style game, this is still to come. With Akuma being included we just got a sf character added to tk and it just doesn't fit imo so I'm a bit dissapointed. I feel like they made Akuma the way he is to tap in that sf crowd as it is so popular right now. Id be more happy to get for example Sagat with Bruces moves set then keeping his sf uniqueness. But it might be just me.
Edit: lazy might have been the wrong word here

I feel like this version of Akuma will do much better drawing SF players in and i'm very impressed at how they've made him work in a game so different from his original.

But i'm a lot less interested in TxSF if it's entirely going to be like that.

GrayFoxPL

I also thought they will make Akuma a Tekken character. But I guess this made more sense since it's easier for SF players to pick up and play. He did gain shitload of moves in FR just nobody's using them.

Still, my dream of Tekken Ken Masters is not dead.

But TxSF is.

sasuke_91

Yeah, it's insane. Thanks GrayFoxPL, that was frustrating xD
Just kidding :p

About the Akuma talk: I'm happy with how they implemented him without changing what makes him unique in SF. SFxT seemed a little less ambitious in that regard.
I never really played that game though. Maybe an hour with some friends.

Rajang

I wonder if Namco will ever allow a Tekken or SoulCalibur character into DoA already. With how well DoA5 has done, I think DoA6 is imminent as well.

Talking about guest characters, Namco should bring Geese Howard to Tekken 7. A bad ass character like that would be such a great fit.

I think I remember Harada talking about it at one point as well.

Geese_Howard.png

Just imagine this beautiful man doing double reppuken's in Tekken 7.

Also Eliza has the Dark Wave move, which looks alot like a reppuken:

https://youtu.be/e_SZmaFTVO8?t=63

So for Namco it would be an easy copy/paste (something they are quite good at). lol

Edit:

Here is the interview Harada talked about Geese:

GR: If you had a chance not to worry about licenses, what other game characters (from other fighting games or otherwise) do you think would fit in the Tekken roster?

Harada: If it were a game character, let me think. I would ask for two—one from a fighting game, and one that is not.

I think from fighting games, it is definitely Akuma, and I think that it is a good choice, as you can tell from the overwhelmingly positive feedback. If I had to choose another, perhaps Geese Howard. I think a bad man like him would fit well in Tekken, and I am confident we can make him look pretty cool in TK7.

http://www.gamerevolution.com/featu...street-fighter-pc-port-and-tekken-cart-race--

I'm the first person on GAF that will always call Namco out on where they skimped out on Tekken 7. However, Akuma's movelist is DEFINITELY not one of them. They had to completely create a brand new control scheme to accommodate his movelist. The conventional notation doesn't even work to describe Akuma's movelist because of his verticality. And he was given double the amount of moves in Tekken 7 than his Street Fighter counterpart. He has moves that he can do off of while running, while rising, wakeup, and a bunch of other pokes and strings unique to Tekken. Making Akuma work the way he does in Tekken and accommodating the street fighter fundamentals in a system as unique as Tekken's is by far one of the most impressive game design feats I've ever seen. Mai is just another DOA character. There's nothing about her gameplay from KOF that involves hops, dive kicks, anti-airs that translates into DOA. While that satisfies the bare minimum for DOA5 it's no where near as impressive as what Namco manged with Akuma in T7.

But Bob's T7 movelist, TTT2 recycled customizations, Tekken 2 legacy animations, among other things... Now THOSE I can agree are the laziest things you can see in a sequel to a game. :p

Completely agree.

Its just in my head but when they announced TKxSF i honestly thought that we will be getting a tekken style game, this is still to come. With Akuma being included we just got a sf character added to tk and it just doesn't fit imo so I'm a bit dissapointed. I feel like they made Akuma the way he is to tap in that sf crowd as it is so popular right now. Id be more happy to get for example Sagat with Bruces moves set then keeping his sf uniqueness. But it might be just me.
Edit: lazy might have been the wrong word here

That is what I expected with the FR reveal trailer as well, that Akuma would play a bit more like a Tekken character. But I'm fine with how he turned out.

GrayFoxPL

Damn, Geese in Tekken that would be beautiful sadly not predictabo!

Tekken x KOF >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Tekken x SF

Also give me Soul Calibur x Toshinden

Come on Namco, Toshinden license costs some ramen money today and my Kayin and Duke got left out of gaming world for decades.

1i946Nq.jpg

Sayah

Thought tekken and doa had beef
Or was that just Itagaki

It was just Itagaki, and Itagaki now bitterly hates DoA5 since he's no longer involved with Tecmo. That guys rants against DoA5 were......wow.

And also, Eid Mubarak AAK, Sayah, Numb and whoever else is reading :)
I'm in the library studying at the moment, but I'll go home soon to spend the rest of the day with my family.

Eid Mubarak to you too! :)

Completely agreed!

Talking about guest characters, Namco should bring Geese Howard to Tekken 7. A bad ass character like that would be such a great fit.

I think I remember Harada talking about it at one point as well.

Geese_Howard.png

Just imagine this beautiful man doing double reppuken's in Tekken 7.

Also Eliza has the Dark Wave move, which looks alot like a reppuken:

https://youtu.be/e_SZmaFTVO8?t=63

So for Namco it would be an easy copy/paste (something they are quite good at). lol

I don't know much about this character but seems like he could be a great guest character addition.

AAK

Eid Mubarak to the rest of Tekken GAF as well. I was about to go visit distant relatives that live deep in the suburbs and celebrate with them. But during the afternoon I got a notice that I'll be having a Job interview for Nokia as a developer this Wedensday! Had to cancel everything and prepare for this interview. Have to cram a ton of technical knowledge within the next 30 hours...

Gonna TRY to not let TGS news disrupt me... Yeah, I better stay off GAF.

Sayah

Eid Mubarak to the rest of Tekken GAF as well. I was about to go visit distant relatives that live deep in the suburbs and celebrate with them. But during the afternoon I got a notice that I'll be having a Job interview for Nokia as a developer this Wedensday! Had to cancel everything and prepare for this interview. Have to cram a ton of technical knowledge within the next 30 hours...

Gonna TRY to not let TGS news disrupt me... Yeah, I better stay off GAF.

Awesome - best of luck and hope you get the job!

Also, what TGS news?

MikeMyers

Eid Mubarak!

Honestly DOA5-Mai looks like a DOA character cosplaying as Mai. Still excited to use her though.

It was actually surprising to me on a number of levels:

-A lot of the games they showed were early 2017 games. So is Tekken. But it wasn't there.
-Summer Lesson was shown, so Namco wasn't banned or anything. But no Tekken.
-It was a bad conference that outside of S-E stuff seemed like they were really scraping for good products to show. Tekken 7 looks a lot better than many of the games shown. But it wasn't there.

So either Namco is preparing something big on their own, or something is up. Probably the former, but still worrying.

EDIT: IIRC Namco earlier in the year said the PS4 version would have exclusive content and PSVR support. Sure seemed like a nice time to remind people of that at the very least.

Playsage

I don't get it. Why Namco should advertise a game to an audience that can already play said game for YEARS?
I can't see Japan hyped just for a console release

Nuszka

If we don't get any concrete info or something new during TGS and instead they will just show a ps4 build and talk about the upcoming update for arcade, then i will start getting worried.

Gambit61

Talking about guest characters, Namco should bring Geese Howard to Tekken 7. A bad ass character like that would be such a great fit. .

Whoa, I never knew Harada mentioned Geese before. I love Geese and Rock Howard. One reason why I picked up Tekken 6 is I thought Leo looked cool. I think he would fit perfectly, he even has a new otg grab in KOF XIV that looks sick at the end of combos. Maybe they could also give Dragonuv a Heidern skin lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom