• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sayah

It was actually surprising to me on a number of levels:

-A lot of the games they showed were early 2017 games. So is Tekken. But it wasn't there.
-Summer Lesson was shown, so Namco wasn't banned or anything. But no Tekken.
-It was a bad conference that outside of S-E stuff seemed like they were really scraping for good products to show. Tekken 7 looks a lot better than many of the games shown. But it wasn't there.

So either Namco is preparing something big on their own, or something is up. Probably the former, but still worrying.

EDIT: IIRC Namco earlier in the year said the PS4 version would have exclusive content and PSVR support. Sure seemed like a nice time to remind people of that at the very least.

This is reaching, but:

1. Sony may no longer be happy with Tekken being multiplatform now; AND/OR
2. Sony no longer views Tekken as a popular franchise, largely due to the decreasing interest, with TTT2 reaching an all-time sales low.

Namco is ENTIRELY to blame for #2 above. They:
1. Standardized a 2-year wait for the arcade to console transition with Tekken 6 and now Tekken 7. A lot of people are going to lose interest if you keep them waiting 2 years.
2. Completely ruined the presentation with customizations. Tekken 5 and Tekken 6 were tolerable, but TTT2 took it to a whole other level. There was a point when Tekken used to have some of the best presentation but that era is gone.

These two reasons are, in my opinion, the primary causes of this franchise's decline. In this increasingly globalized world, people want instant gratification, and if you don't give them that, then good luck surviving on what's left of the arcade business. I used to be an extremely passionate Tekken fan, but they've almost completely turned me away due to their current model for releasing games very late and also their mass recycling of customizations that muck up the entire game's presentation. I am unlikely to buy Tekken 7 as a result but we'll see what happens in the next few months.

Pachimari

Speculating, or...?
Well, I read up on it, and it seems it was just TekkenGamer.com hyping up the event with their own words on Facebook. So I would not expect "the biggest news yet." Go into it just expecting to see Harada on the main stage and Tekken 7 getting some time in the spotlight.

I do hope we get a character reveal though, but it seems too soon for that.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Hey, last time we got some particularly excellent stuff.

I wonder if we'll see any new stages in motion.

This is reaching, but:

1. Sony may no longer be happy with Tekken being multiplatform now; AND/OR
2. Sony no longer views Tekken as a popular franchise, largely due to the decreasing interest, with TTT2 reaching an all-time sales low.

Namco is ENTIRELY to blame for #2 above. They:
1. Standardized a 2-year wait for the arcade to console transition with Tekken 6 and now Tekken 7. A lot of people are going to lose interest if you keep them waiting 2 years.

2. Completely ruined the presentation with customizations. Tekken 5 and Tekken 6 were tolerable, but TTT2 took it to a whole other level. There was a point when Tekken used to have some of the best presentation but that era is gone.

That's less on customization and more so Last Gen being a graphical ceiling for FGs. Tekken hasn't Innovated in a lot of people's eyes graphically and mechanically. That's the main thing I hear from people that stopped playing Tekken. No one talks about customs...like ever. Most people that glance at Tekken don't even see customs. They see the default game. We see customs all the time because we pay attention. Customs honestly has shit to do with anything tbh.

Hell we've just now updated costumes after three games. Presentation as a whole for Tekken has been wack since...what T6?

Spuck-uk

Banned

These two reasons are, in my opinion, the primary causes of this franchise's decline. In this increasingly globalized world, people want instant gratification, and if you don't give them that, then good luck surviving on what's left of the arcade business. I used to be an extremely passionate Tekken fan, but they've almost completely turned me away due to their current model for releasing games very late and also their mass recycling of customizations that muck up the entire game's presentation. I am unlikely to buy Tekken 7 as a result but we'll see what happens in the next few months.

The meltdowns over customs will never not be hilarious to me. I love them and think they add to the game massively.

No changes to Claudio's f+4.

The patch notes are out now, Wonkey is busy with a proper translation. o/

Edit: There it is! http://www.avoidingthepuddle.com/ne...nline-update-version-d-balance-changelis.html

Yeah, I saw. Guess I have to hope for the next patch.

No serious nerfs here. F+3 having less pushback means very little.

It seems they are really determined to make b+2 a huge part of his game now. It got buffed again. Seems like it is now safe on block & he recovers faster on hit.

1+2 JF got a damage buff. That move still needs more to be useful.

b+42 getting an increases hitbox is great. No more characters randomly dropping out anymore.

If b+2 is now safe that's a huge buff. That means he finally has a move that on NH gives Starburst & is safe.

AAK

At one point I would post another few paragraphs detailing how TTT2/T7 took a feature as cool as character customization and totally butchered it.

I'll just say I'm grateful there is a platform (PC) this time around where I can personally deal with it if Namco is just going to double down on the insanity.

No changes to Claudio's f+4.

The patch notes are out now, Wonkey is busy with a proper translation. o/

Edit: There it is! http://www.avoidingthepuddle.com/ne...nline-update-version-d-balance-changelis.html

I like the sound of a few new moves and animations. Hopefully there's more to come.

The one thing i don't like about patch notes like this is the ubiquitous 'properties on hit/counterhit have been changed' stuff.

Like, what does that mean? It now launches? They explode? What?

Katarina can cancel Harrier stance with crouch. That might be really good.

If b+1 range increase means it's back to vanilla range I'll be very happy.

Sayah

That's less on customization and more so Last Gen being a graphical ceiling for FGs. Tekken hasn't Innovated in a lot of people's eyes graphically and mechanically. That's the main thing I hear from people that stopped playing Tekken. No one talks about customs...like ever. Most people that glance at Tekken don't even see customs. They see the default game. We see customs all the time because we pay attention. Customs honestly has shit to do with anything tbh.

Hell we've just now updated costumes after three games. Presentation as a whole for Tekken has been wack since...what T6?

Yes, because your anecdotal experiences are universal and since you haven't come across anyone quitting Tekken over customs, it must not be the case anywhere else in the world. You have examples on this forum of people quitting thanks to customs.

And when you have prominent tournaments and the majority of footage for this game currently available featuring customs, then I don't even know how you're making the case that "most people don't see customs".

Sayah

The meltdowns over customs will never not be hilarious to me. I love them and think they add to the game massively.

If the egregiously hideous, 80-90% recycled from a last gen game customs don't bother you, then more power to you. But unfortunately that's not gonna be the case for a lot of people, and yeah, it's totally hilarious that a franchise you like has a dwindling fanbase partly thanks to its mucked presentation resulting from customs. /s

Spuck-uk

Banned
If the egregiously hideous, 80-90% recycled from a last gen game customs don't bother you, then more power to you. But unfortunately that's not gonna be the case for a lot of people, and yeah, it's totally hilarious that a franchise you like has a dwindling fanbase partly thanks to its mucked presentation resulting from customs. /s

I don't think the customs have anything to do with the shrinking fanbase, do you have any proof to the contrary? Fighting games in general are a shrinking genre, 3d moreso than 2d. The biggest issue I hear from casual fans as to why they don't play TTT2 is the perceived difficulty

PATCH TALK:

If Leo d/f+2+3 CH no longer gives a combo, I'm gonna be sour.

Yes, because your anecdotal experiences are universal and since you haven't come across anyone quitting Tekken over customs, it must not be the case anywhere else in the world. You have examples on this forum of people quitting thanks to customs.

And when you have prominent tournaments and the majority of footage for this game currently available featuring customs, then I don't even know how you're making the case that "most people don't see customs".

Tournaments in America don't have customs for one so most peoples visual of Tekken is usually without customs. You also have to consider that we are enthusiasts and out opinions and such are shaped by that. So If I see someone on here complaining about customs I know where that's coming from.

GrayFoxPL

The patch notes are out now, Wonkey is busy with a proper translation. \o/

Whoa! Shitload of changes. I didn't expect so much.

iMpCqsh.jpg

Devil Jin even got a new move - ws+1,4.

Can't wait to see what are the tons of new hit properties and animations.

Also, fuck Bob.

klqUBL4.gif

Sayah

I don't think the customs have anything to do with the shrinking fanbase, do you have any proof to the contrary? Fighting games in general are a shrinking genre, 3d moreso than 2d. The biggest issue I hear from casual fans as to why they don't play TTT2 is the perceived difficulty

This is completely false. You can't say fighting games are shrinking when MKX sells over 5 million copies and DoA5 keeps creating and selling new costumes and guest character DLC at an unprecedented rate. You have examples of extremely successful 2D and 3D fighters in the current market.

Tekken 7 has built up a lot of goodwill and positive messaging thanks to the FR update so I expect the game to do well but it's entirely namcos fault if it's a dud like SFV.

Tournaments in America don't have customs for one so most peoples visual of Tekken is usually without customs. You also have to consider that we are enthusiasts and out opinions and such are shaped by that. So If I see someone on here complaining about customs I know where that's coming from.

Your mistake is assuming people only watch American tournament footage. YouTube is the most popular online video service and most people will be looking at videos/gameplay there. YouTube is filled to the brim with trashy Tekken 7 customs.

Nuszka

Ps4 footage is an early build and looks noticeably worse from the arcade ver, especially in Dragons Nest stage , the lightning is almost non existent. Still loads of time for them. One thing to worry about is if they think that it looks good enough for ps4 ver and give all the bells and whistles to the ps4 pro. But that is just me musing.

Raven looks good to play , seen some footage today. In the looks department i think she is a wee bit over designed, i get the hair but those floating "computerized" ribbons are just to much. The cloth physics engine they are using is definitely not helping either. Very distracting and after a view minutes annoying to look at for me.

Dereck

Ps4 footage is an early build and looks noticeably worse from the arcade ver, especially in Dragons Nest stage , the lightning is almost non existent. Still loads of time for them. One thing to worry about is if they think that it looks good enough for ps4 ver and give all the bells and whistles to the ps4 pro. But that is just me musing.
Oooh looks like the PS4 (non-pro?) version is at TGS

https://youtu.be/DxwOMXxTFwc
Is this running on a PS4?

I was expecting/hoping for more changes to Raven. Like more new ways to go into HF or more practical ways to go into that empty teleport.

I think 3,3~HF would be quite cool for example~

Her combos seem good though and they just look nice. Still really want to play her. Also i suppose new stuff could still come, since a lot of other characters have gotten new moves in the updates.

Pachimari

Hollow Point Shot (3,2) recovery frames increased by 1. Recovery frames for the opponent after being hit or blocking this move also increased by 1F.
Spinning Scythe (3+4) recovery frames decreased by 4. Recovery frames for your opponent after blocking this move decreased by 4F.
Panquil Ring (f+2,4) damage increased by 1.
1st hit of Cyclone Sweep Combo (d/f+3,2) recovery frames increased by 4. Recovery frames for your opponent after getting hit by the move is increased by 3F. Is now also a natural combo on counter hit. Damage increased by 3.
2nd hit of Cyclone Sweep Combo (d/f+3,2) recovery frames increased by 1. Recovery frames for your opponent after blocking or getting hit by this move is increased by 1F. Damage increased by 6.
Middle Straight (d/b+2) properties on counter hit has been changed.
Tracer Kick (b+3) properties on an airborne opponent has been changed.
Streamline Combo (b+4,3,4) Recovery frames for the opponent after blocking the 2nd hit of this move is increased by 4F.
Step In Tracer (ff+4) properties on counter hit has been changed. On hit with an airborned opponent will now cause a Screw!
Slide In Tornado Combo (cd+1,3) recovery frames decreased by 4. Recovery frames for your opponent after blocking this move is decreased by 4F.
Slide In Elbow (cd+2) pushback on both hit and on block has been increased.
Slide In Low Kick (cd+3) properties on counter hit has now been changed to a new hit animation.
Vertical Knee (ws+3) properties on hit with an airborne opponent has been changed.

What does all of this mean for my Josie? Recovery frames by 4 and 4F for once. Pushback?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom