• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT3|

sasuke_91

Jun 2nd is a friday
Gon put to shame the time i put in that weekend of Zelda with how much i put into Tekken
I just sat there for minutes wondering what that sentence was supposed to mean because I thought you meant Gon the character.
I should learn some proper slang.

And stop revealing my secrets or I'll reveal yours!

Numb

I just sat there for minutes wondering what that sentence was supposed to mean because I thought you meant Gon the character.

My secrets and salt are out in the open for every one to see
I ain't scared

Spuck-uk

Banned

I will never reveal the Wu-Tang secret

Doomshine

Well Jack and Bruce were my mains in tag2 , but this high usage of J7 during FR has me made thinking about dropping him for T7. It's a weird excuse I know , but if my chcaracter gets used to much I just loose interest of playing with him. Will see though.

Besides Saint, who no longer has Ganryu, I think most of the Jack players you see were already using him before 7 and have been playing Tekken for a long time. He's a very basic character and plays pretty much the same so I guess it makes sense that these players are quick to adapt to the new systems even if they don't have the game.

My plan is to play the game for 24h straight when my digital copy unlocks , I'll probably will turn in to a wildling afterwards.

I got the first two weeks of June set aside for vacation time. Then 2 more set aside for mid July...

You know... For one of those rinky dink tournaments in Vegas.

IRnOk2g.gif

GrayFoxPL

I think it's harder to retain that mindset in a tournament environment when thousands of people are watching you and you want to meet their expectations.
I already start making excuses when I lose a ranked battle xD

Then shouldn't ones reaction be even more sincere? "I'm sorry guys, he destroyed me." Something like that? I don't know, I'll never be in the tournament, you guys know better how it goes.

I just used the Mittelhochdeutsch you commoner. ;)

Well Jack and Bruce were my mains in tag2 , but this high usage of J7 during FR has me made thinking about dropping him for T7. It's a weird excuse I know , but if my chcaracter gets used to much I just loose interest of playing with him. Will see though.

I know what you mean. I'm picking Lars(if I actually have good pad to play :( )in Seven because I actually like his style but never used him because accusations of tier whoring.

Secretly I wish Paul was nerfed a notch. I don't like how they made his deathfist so buff but removed the db+2 juggle pickup and df+4 boot stun. Everything is deathfist now.

My plan is to play the game for 24h straight when my digital copy unlocks , I'll probably will turn in to a wildling afterwards.

Don't do it. You may be healthy but playing something like Tekken is like non stop pumping adrenaline to your heart. It's like doing constant marathon. While playing a game demanding constant focus, brain shuts down alertness of anything that's going on with your body, you don't feel hunger, you can hold piss for countless hours without knowing, you don't feel heart pounding at insane speeds. It's overdrive mode. You don't feel shit. When I was young I was so into Gran Turismo 1 I played it like 11 hours straight every day. I remember I tuned Nissan Skyline to some ridiculous power that when I raced the game couldn't keep up with drawing the track! I was so in the zone I felt like I was in the matrix. Then when I finally stopped my heart didn't stop pounding, not an hour later, day, 3 days, It was stuck in hyper pounding mode non stop, like I was constantly running. I was white as a sheet after few days. Ended up in hospital and taking heart slowing down pills for next 2 decades. And yes I'm terrified of Gran Turismo and Skylines since then, lol.

It's not like it's some kind of myth, people died out of exhaustion even in the 80's because they couldn't stop playing Berserker.

Don't do 24h marathons. You may take permanent damage.

I'm ready to get absolutely bodied for like a million matches straight online.

But it'll be worth it for that one match that I win after those million matches.

Getting bodied online is the best way to learn. Doesn't hurt spend few hours in a lab first and figure out some tricks before jumping online.

Feel free to ask here too. We'll tell you how to play dirty in a dirty online world. ;]

LoooooooooooooooooooooL.

Numb

Dont-Afraid-Give-Yourself-High-Fives-Sometimes.gif

Dropped the filler though
Unblockable bound
Only after Shoryuken launcher
But did they turn it into a tail spin in Tekken 7 i wonder

Guys. I'm gonna kick your damn asses so hard come June 2. Taste my fist.
I don't fight fair
Me and my boys will come over in the middle of the night before we fight and break your fingers
But you didn't hear that from me

What about that thing you did at that place back then that you didn't want people to find out about?
Yeaaah... now you're scared, aren't you? I know everything.

That means I will have to kill you. Twice.
ea5.png

Dereck

Not having Tekken 7 may no longer be an excuse for America

Is not having Tekken 7 a valid excuse for not winning a tournament when pro Asian players are present? It may be time to let that excuse go.

After Echo Fox’s JDCR of Korea sealed the deal in Tekken 7 at Final Round 20 this past weekend, someone in the crowd yelled out to him “You’re cheating. Stop cheating. We don’t even have the game yet!” I cringed as I heard it.

So how did JDCR win grand finals six rounds straight, and pretty much in bullying fashion? I’ll tell you how. He simply just plays the game better. There was nothing about his Final Round win that was related to Tekken 7 in any way.

GrayFoxPL

Yeah, I think having the game for ages and playing 10 000 matches kinda helps to be good at it versus watching youtube videos for 3 years.

Not to take anything from Korean skills but Knee and JDCR weren't true gods until Tag2. Lately watching tons of T6 match videos I noticed these guys weren't head and shoulders above the rest back then, they were winning but they were also losing quite much. Maybe there were more Korean players at their level in those days, I don't know.

Another thing that they were a lot more fun to watch them, taking risks and whatnot. Now it's just: "I gotta be safe whatever I do."

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Yeah, I think having the game for ages and playing 10 000 matches kinda helps to be good at it versus watching youtube videos for 3 years.

Not to take anything from Korean skills but Knee and JDCR weren't true gods until Tag2. Lately watching tons of T6 match videos I noticed these guys weren't head and shoulders above the rest back then, they were winning but they were also losing quite much. Maybe there were more Korean players at their level in those days, I don't know.

Another thing that they were a lot more fun to watch them, taking risks and whatnot. Now it's just: "I gotta be safe whatever I do."

Knee in T5DR is probably when he was at his best. However, you have to keep in mind, a lot of these guys didn't travel much until T6 days.

JDCR had his breakout performances towards the end of T6 where he really started dominating in Korea.

There were so many storied/great players back then though. A lot of them, again, never traveled.

GrayFoxPL

Knee in T5DR is probably when he was at his best. However, you have to keep in mind, a lot of these guys didn't travel much until T6 days.

JDCR had his breakout performances towards the end of T6 where he really started dominating in Korea.

There were so many storied/great players back then though. A lot of them, again, never traveled.

Yeah, generally tons of insanely great players are gone, went on with their lives or play sporadically, - SunChip, Rain, 200Won, HoleMan, Maddogjin, Ji3moon Ace, Sodam etc.

If those guys never stopped playing I wouldn't bet Knee and JDCR would be sole kings.

Nuszka

Don't do it. You may be healthy but playing something like Tekken is like non stop pumping adrenaline to your heart.

I know what you mean, but maybe i haven't made myself clear, i will definitely not be sitting and playing the game non stop for 24h. I will get up for at least a view minutes every hour or so etc etc. I would consider myself as an healthy individual that works out about 4 times a week, stays away from junk food etc but everything with moderation (alcohol i won't give up :) ).
The last longer session i remember doing was Bloodborne played for about 18 hours and i was trying to beat my T5 record that was 20 hours long but back then it was easy now being in my mid 30ties i actually need to prep beforehand. Oh and by prep i mean not getting Red Bulls and doritos etc quite the opposite i might say.
From 2nd of June i am 5 days off, put it in diary in work so who knows i might just give up sooner then expected as there is no rush as i have so many more available days ahead of me.
Now back to Zelda... But not after the workout session ;)

Dereck

I was considering making a video about Final Round 20 and the article but I figure I would just talk about it here.

Neat article with some strong points, I don't know who's right or wrong here but I'll state some observations.

Speedkicks didn't lose to JDCR because he dropped a combo that only applies in Tekken 7 or because of Tekken 7 specifically, he lost to JDCR because JDCR is better. I don't know if you guys remember but Speedkicks fought JDCR two years ago and the match went about the same as it did last weekend.

Final Round 18 - TTT2 - Top 8 - RBL Speedkicks vs JDCR

The only players that I can think of that have given JDCR trouble (in America) are NYC Fab, Mr. Naps and Inkognito.

So if you have those three players that I just mentioned not beating JDCR but also not getting 3-0'd or 6-0'd by him, there's evidently a possibility that exists for Americans to beat other, better regions.

I think a few years ago I heard NYC Fab say that Americans aren't good at Tekken because we can beat each other. I get what he's saying, how many people are playing against Mr. Naps offline? I think that if we're just practicing against each other, our skill level will probably just be around each other. If that makes sense. We can play the game more as well, but if the skill level in this country is not high then we're just sparring against people who are just as good as we are and I suppose that in itself isn't necessarily pushing us as far as we could go.

If there were 4-5 Mr. Naps level players actually playing the game and practicing with people who aren't as good, I could see an increase in skill level in America, but that's not the case I don't think.

Rajang

Yeah, generally tons of insanely great players are gone, went on with their lives or play sporadically, - SunChip, Rain, 200Won, HoleMan, Maddogjin, Ji3moon Ace, Sodam etc.

If those guys never stopped playing I wouldn't bet Knee and JDCR would be sole kings.

I definitely agree that it helps having played so many games already, but Korean talent is just on another level. And that's not just with Tekken either. They dominate almost every competitive game that's popular in Korea. Just look at Starcraft and League of Legends, they are completely dominated by Koreans as well. With LoL it was especially funny because NA had the biggest head start, they had the game years before Korea and the Korean teams still mopped the floor with them the moment they got the game.

And yeah Knee was a monster in T5 DR. I remember seeing videos of him 10 years ago on Youtube tearing through players such as Nin, 200won and Qudans one after another in some Korean qualifier.

GrayFoxPL

I know what you mean, but maybe i haven't made myself clear, i will definitely not be sitting and playing the game non stop for 24h. I will get up for at least a view minutes every hour or so etc etc. I would consider myself as an healthy individual that works out about 4 times a week, stays away from junk food etc but everything with moderation (alcohol i won't give up :) ).
The last longer session i remember doing was Bloodborne played for about 18 hours and i was trying to beat my T5 record that was 20 hours long but back then it was easy now being in my mid 30ties i actually need to prep beforehand. Oh and by prep i mean not getting Red Bulls and doritos etc quite the opposite i might say.
From 2nd of June i am 5 days off, put it in diary in work so who knows i might just give up sooner then expected as there is no rush as i have so many more available days ahead of me.
Now back to Zelda... But not after the workout session ;)

That's really cool man.You're doing it right. Sorry for being nagging mommy I just don't want others to go through what I did. Stay healthy, man, your girl too.

Btw. Red Bulls fuck up liver and kidneys worse then cheap vodka, lol.

I definitely agree that it helps having played so many games already, but Korean talent is just on another level. And that's not just with Tekken either. They dominate almost every competitive game that's popular in Korea. Just look at Starcraft and League of Legends, they are completely dominated by Koreans as well. With LoL it was especially funny because NA had the biggest head start, they had the game years before Korea and the Korean teams still mopped the floor with them the moment they got the game.

And yeah Knee was a monster in T5 DR. I remember seeing videos of him 10 years ago on Youtube tearing through players such as Nin, 200won and Qudans one after another in some Korean qualifier.

I don't believe there's something like "nation's talent". It has more to do with dedication, time spent and way they think about the games, how they analyse and break them down to achieve superior results in competitive scene. Someone could say this is "talent" but I think it's more hard work and logical calculation. If a player happens to have an actual talent as well as all those qualities above then you get someone like Knee or JDCR as a result.

I don't like that article.

He's basically saying 'Having the game available does not make any difference to your level of skill.' This seems like a completely preposterous position to take to me.

But if that guy is so certain about it, i invite him to back it up. I'd like to see the writer not buy T7 or play it in arcades anywhere and then still become a player of note. That would prove his point to some degree.

You can only drive as fast as the car in front of you.

Same goes for competition. "Learned from the best" isn't a saying for nothing.

It's one of the reasons Austin was never known for top performances at tourneys because we didn't have the likes of JOP or EP(Dallas), Crow(Houston), SA_Ryu (San Antonio) to play with regularly. Sure we played vs them at tourneys, but only when we could manage to travel and even then in rare occasions.

Online has changed that, but even still that only takes you so far (I.E.: Online warrior moniker).

I am quite interested though in seeing how TX fares tourneys with T7. Between old vets coming back and new generation killers on the loose, it could be a good time for us. Dallas alone is like a beacon to all hardcore Tekken ppl right now, having attracted at least 2 or 3 strong players from abroad.

He's basically saying 'Having the game available does not make any difference to your level of skill.' This seems like a completely preposterous position to take to me.

But if that guy is so certain about it, i invite him to back it up. I'd like to see the writer not buy T7 or play it in arcades anywhere and then still become a player of note. That would prove his point to some degree.

I don't think that's his overall point.

Hyun Sai

I don't think that's what he is saying. JDCR played textbook Dragunov from TTT2 so the "we dont have T7" excuse for a 6-0 can only go so far.

Pachimari

Eh, not too fond on the guest characters. Hopefully it's somebody from Virtua Fighter but probably not.

And a new game mode? In the summer? Bring on Tekken Ball for all versions this time!

Oh yeah, bring on Talim! I need my two Filipinas in my Tekken lol.

I don't think that's his overall point.
I don't think that's what he is saying. JDCR played textbook Dragunov from TTT2 so the "we dont have T7" excuse for a 6-0 can only go so far.

I agree it's hard to see a point behind the inflammatory clickbait, but it seems to be:
1. Korean players don't have an advantage by having access to the game, and
2. Instead, Americans are losing because they have a weak mindset and hide behind excuses.

I think that's a pretty outrageous position to take, one that requires very strong evidence to support it. Don't really see any of that evidence. You guys are free to excuse/agree with it, but uh.. i sure don't. Not even a little bit.

----
Huh, so the 'special characters' are both going to be guest characters? I guess i can stop hoping for Jun/Unknown/Kunimitsu then. I also notice there's no other/returning characters coming post-launch outside of the two guest ones....

Surprised at how far the third pack is off. Spring 2018, oof.

In any case, i dunno about the season pass then. I don't mind guest characters per se, but the characters i enjoy are unlikely to make it in this scenario. Like, if there's a KoF guest character it's always going to be one of Kyo/Iori/Geese. Never Vanessa or Kula or something.

Pachimari

The packs seem very light on content seeing it's $25 I dunno. A single character, a stage and 30 costumes seems to not be much for two of the packages. I have a feeling they won't give us anything else than what is in this Season Pass. I mean, their post-launch support for Tag 2 was horrible.

Also, bring me Talim!

Pompadour

My pet theory was SF, Tekken, and KOF would be trading characters for their respective games numbered entries this year (one of V's silhouettes looks like Iori and Harada made a vague comment about Geese, apparently). Of course, almost all (?) of KOF's DLC characters have been revealed so I'm not so sure this will turn out true.

Pachimari

I really do wonder if we'll get more than these two DLC characters. If not, it's really poor form. But then again, I think they've said they want to support Tekken 7 for a longer period than Tag 2, but that might just be these packs going into Spring 2018. Those are my worst fears.

Pompadour

I really do wonder if we'll get more than these two DLC characters. If not, it's really poor form. But then again, I think they've said they want to support Tekken 7 for a longer period than Tag 2, but that might just be these packs going into Spring 2018. Those are my worst fears.

After paid DLC characters were announced and there was a backlash Harada tweeted that any classic character that would be T7 DLC would be free.

Pachimari

Bring me MichelleI feel like there's a chance for anyone to be added as DLC characters. Story reasons be damned. At least that's the sweet dream.

sasuke_91

Why would that be poor? It's more than what we've got in previous Tekken games, and it was clear from the very beginning that the Season Pass would mean support for one more year after release.

I agree it's hard to see a point behind the inflammatory clickbait, but it seems to be:
1. Korean players don't have an advantage by having access to the game, and
2. Instead, Americans are losing because they have a weak mindset and hide behind excuses.

I think that's a pretty outrageous position to take, one that requires very strong evidence to support it. Don't really see any of that evidence. You guys are free to excuse/agree with it, but uh.. i sure don't. Not even a little bit.

I mean idk why that's so hard to believe in general, Tekken is so iterative that it doesn't take long in the slightest to get used to T7 mechanics but its whatever

Pachimari

Why would that be poor? It's more than what we've got in previous Tekken games, and it was clear from the very beginning that the Season Pass would mean support for one more year after release.

Because Street Fighter V and Dead or Alive 5, and even games in other genres does it so much better with much more content. But if I get Tekken Ball as DLC I'll be thrilled.

Pachimari

SFV does not have more content WTF are you smoking.

I mean with all of the costumes, colors, story mode and such. And 6 characters, and 6 new characters for Season 2. That is good DLC planning. If all we get is what is in this Season Pass, then that is poor. Maybe Namco too should come up with a Season roadmap, it works so well for other games like Street Fighter, Rocket League, Overwatch etc.

joeblow

I'll be getting T7 day one, but as of right now I'll save money by skipping the season pass. My interest in costumes is minimal, and I rarely use guest characters in fighters for more than a hot minute. The bonus stages will be available during online play, but it is the only thing so far I'd miss out on when playing local matches.

We'll see what the extra mode is, but it'd likely have to be Tekken Force with Streets of Rage quality to to get me excited.

I mean with all of the costumes, colors, story mode and such. And 6 characters, and 6 new characters for Season 2. That is good DLC planning. If all we get is what is in this Season Pass, then that is poor. Maybe Namco too should come up with a Season roadmap, it works so well for other games like Street Fighter, Rocket League, Overwatch etc.

SF5 had frakking nothing content-wise at launch, and you're happy they add a lot later? Okay.

So i guess Namco should scratch off over half the cast and release them piecemeal over the coming three years, would that make you happy?

And they should scratch all the customization and story mode too, perhaps sell it to you later.

Come on man. SF5 launched with nothing but gaping holes content-wise and they're now slowly adding things, and you call it a good model?

Top Bottom