• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Revolution |OT| You can now really #BUFFLARS

What? The character models don't even look bad here. It's just maybe a few weird outlining and coloring effects they used to make look off. But yeah, Lili and Asuka look great.

On that note has anybody unlocked Nina Williams yet? Is she even in here?

Nina's not in the game.

What? The character models don't even look bad here. It's just maybe a few weird outlining and coloring effects they used to make look off. But yeah, Lili and Asuka look great.

On that note has anybody unlocked Nina Williams yet? Is she even in here?

I don't think Nina is in it and have my doubts that she is going to be added anytime soon unless there are a lot of requests. It seems like Namco added or plan on adding easy to play or popular characters to this installment so gamers who are new to the series can pick up and play. Nina isn't remotely close to newbie or casual friendly by any stretch of the imagination and she isn't as popular as the Asukas, Laws, Lars, Kazuyas that so many people use online. I would love to see her added since her and Anna are my mains, but I don't think she will be in this unfortunately. Hopefully, I will be proven wrong.

Man, if Nina's not even added yet, pretty much no chance for Lee, huh? :(

Just played my first match. Impressions:

Very cool for a game that's free to download. A lot of people that wouldn't have bought Tekken otherwise are here. As such, there's a lot of real spammy game play going on. backing up, waiting for someone to get close and do the invincble f, f move.

Fell victim in my first match for not understanding these properties, but I'll look into it a bit more. Anyone that has any sort of knowledge about Tekken has a huge advantage, even over an opponent that's vastly souped up or ranked. I'll have to play some more later.

I'm just so happy that invincible moves completely obsolete 10 hit combos. Less work for my brain.

Someone made a good point awhile back, and that is why stance characters and string characters have been omitted, because fast invincible moves negate any mixups.

Lei transitioning between animal stances, Capos going into RLX, Yoshi going into KIN, basically any character that goes into a stance that doesn't also give huge +frames is gonna get blown up by invincible moves (Hwo, baek, etc etc).

The only draw back to those moves is that the invuln frames are in the latter majority of the move, so they cant just be spammed. But the window is pretty big still, meaning stance mixup chars are gonna have it rough.

Man, if Nina's not even added yet, pretty much no chance for Lee, huh? :(

Just played my first match. Impressions:

Very cool for a game that's free to download. A lot of people that wouldn't have bought Tekken otherwise are here. As such, there's a lot of real spammy game play going on. backing up, waiting for someone to get close and do the invincble f, f move.

Fell victim in my first match for not understanding these properties, but I'll look into it a bit more. Anyone that has any sort of knowledge about Tekken has a huge advantage, even over an opponent that's vastly souped up or ranked. I'll have to play some more later.

Yeah, Lee is another character I doubt we will be seeing anytime soon unfortunately.

So far, I am noticing a significant difference in play styles from higher ranked fighters from this game compared to TTT2. Most likely due to people who aren't quite as familiar with Tekken or fighting games. Some of these fights I experience and comments I hear from mics are absolutely hilarious.

Doomshine

Yeah, the stats don't really do much if you don't have any fundamentals from previous Tekkens.

Jack has an unlisted move that regenerates health if hit by a laser

What's the move again? It could come in handy if I run into another troll.

I don't really see the point in trolling in this game anyway, it's not like I paid any money for it.

Not sure why in the Original post the Director name isn't there, however if you view the credits for Tekken Revolution, it says: KATSUHIRO HARADA as TEKKEN PROJECT DIRECTOR and YUICHI YONEMORI as GAME DIRECTOR for Tekken Revolution. :D

Mod edit? if OTC doesn't see this?

jett

D-Member
I literally cannot find a ranked game. Does TR just connect to you people from your own region? Or has this F2P experiment been a disaster?

GrayFoxPL

I literally cannot find a ranked game. Does TR just connect to you people from your own region? Or has this F2P experiment been a disaster?

Something is very wrong with your NAT. I don't wait more then a minute for a fight, usually less any time of day.

Setsuna

i believe you can check it in your settings to set matches are for your region or world wide

Like GrayFox said. Check your firewalls, perhaps router or something cuz it does not take long for me at all. Or just reboot your router or PS3 Are you downloading anything?

Mikor

Invincible moves are the worst thing to happen to the Tekken series since its inception.

That is all, back to Tekken Tag 2 for me.

Damn, 8 characters and stages? I'll take it lol. I only play fighting games casually these days so this will be excellent to kill some time once in a while. Even has the character I used to main in T5.

GrayFoxPL

Btw as far as some move properties go...
Paul:
CH qcf+3 has different knockdown. Juggle.

I'm 90% sure f+231 is now fully NCc with knockdown at the last 2. Very pretty move now.

Ws2 now launches in normal state.

Just frames are way, way more lenient then Tag2. Don't get used to it, it messes up the real timing in Tag2.

I'd love to get some of those changes in Tag 2. f231 and qcf3 mmm.

Manbig

They were always there tho moves like god fist* still have invul frames or so it seems.

No they weren't. Electrics would go under highs sometimes because of the crouch dash involved. There were also some moves that go under mids (Lightning Screw), but there are mids with hit boxes that hit really low that can shut down stuff like that. Lastly, there are several backsway style moves. They turned Lili and Kazuya's into invincible moves in this game. They weren't invincible before, but they would avoid a ton of moves do to range.

Invincible moves are the worst thing to happen to the Tekken series since its inception.

It's not so bad when you realize that the invincible window for a lot of them appear to be short. This is especially true for shoulders. Once they put in a proper training mode, we can test exactly how many frames are needed for these moves to beat you out. Once people figure this out, the + frame game will overcome the shutting down of offense caused by these moves.

At first, I wasn't really feeling this game due to the invincible moves. The moment I starting noticing myself getting hit or thrown out of them, I realized that there was more thought put into them than I initially thought. It doesn't seem to be as simple as "Am I going to do this move in the middle of your offense or not?" So now I'm reserving full judgement for when we get a proper training mode and people can figure out exactly how many frames these moves need to win out. Until then, everyone should be more open minded to the idea of these moves.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Yeah, the stats don't really do much if you don't have any fundamentals from previous Tekkens.

What's the move again? It could come in handy if I run into another troll.

I don't really see the point in trolling in this game anyway, it's not like I paid any money for it.

I vsed some guy with like 113 wins, had only 4 points in life I think. Demolished me lol.

For those of you having trouble with super spam, just block that shit and quickly grab them right after. I demoted a lot of laws for doing that lame kick over and over.

Also, I think I've unlocked every character except for Alisa -_-! Been having a lot of fun playing as Asuka though.

Khezu

So say down the road when the newness wears off and people play the game less, won't the way the F2P system works currently kinda really fuck over ranked match? Since you would have a smaller pool of players, and it gets smaller and smaller when people start running out of tickets?

Or I'm I understanding this wrong?

GrayFoxPL

So say down the road when the newness wears off and people play the game less, won't the way the F2P system works currently kinda really fuck over ranked match? Since you would have a smaller pool of players, and it gets smaller and smaller when people start running out of tickets?

iboLZ8HHIx67MP.jpg

Doomshine

Tokens keep regenerating no matter what and you can earn tickets without paying for them.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
http://i.minus.com/iboLZ8HHIx67MP.jpg

I have no clue why I'm laughing hard at this but I am.

Rank's only going to "die" due to the tickets and how long it takes to regenerate. Not the playerbase. I'm sure the playerbase will be fine for the next year or so. The issue and why most people are probably going to stop playing is the i-frame attacks and tickets for online.

Yeah I'm not crazy about the invincible moves. No reason for me to be playing this really, as I've owned Tag 2 for some time.

Is there a Platinum trophy for this?

joeblow

Someone made a good point awhile back, and that is why stance characters and string characters have been omitted, because fast invincible moves negate any mixups.

Lei transitioning between animal stances, Capos going into RLX, Yoshi going into KIN, basically any character that goes into a stance that doesn't also give huge +frames is gonna get blown up by invincible moves (Hwo, baek, etc etc).

The only draw back to those moves is that the invuln frames are in the latter majority of the move, so they cant just be spammed. But the window is pretty big still, meaning stance mixup chars are gonna have it rough.
Nah, stance characters will be fine playing smart. You can block those slow invincible moves when you stance transition without attacking a lot of times - free launcher bait.

I vsed some guy with like 113 wins, had only 4 points in life I think. Demolished me lol.

For those of you having trouble with super spam, just block that shit and quickly grab them right after. I demoted a lot of laws for doing that lame kick over and over.

Also, I think I've unlocked every character except for Alisa -_-! Been having a lot of fun playing as Asuka though.

So many law wondering in ranking tonight.. i might just do that ..

Manbig

I swear I bounded someone last night, and it wasn't just a d/f parry.

The juggle starters that instantly bound still do when used as an initial attack. They DO NOT bound in the middle of juggles though. They also added bound to certain attacks like Kaz f,f+3.

The juggle starters that instantly bound still do when used as an initial attack. They DO NOT bound in the middle of juggles though. They also added bound to certain attacks like Kaz f,f+3.

Thanks for that. Makes sense, they don't want any long ass juggles to bounds, I'm having fun playing this for now.

Ghazi

The juggling was there since before Tekken 4. Hell, without the bounds, it's about on par with Tekken 3.

Sure, I didn't mean to say that it wasn't there. But, it's definitely a much bigger tactic now and looking up some TTT2 video shows me there are ways to extend those juggles. It just seems like a much more central mechanic as opposed to T4 or 3 imo. Maybe I'm wrong, I haven't played T4 in nearly 6 years

Manbig

Sure, I didn't mean to say that it wasn't there. But, it's definitely a much bigger tactic now and looking up some TTT2 video shows me there are ways to extend those juggles. It just seems like a much more central mechanic as opposed to T4 or 3 imo. Maybe I'm wrong, I haven't played T4 in nearly 6 years

That's why I brought it up though. It was indeed a very big part of the games. It's just the way combo damage works in this game. In Street Fighter 4, you have links into FADCs into mini juggles to maximize your damage. While there's no meter in Tekken, you maximize your damage by doing juggles. Of course, it's not the ONLY thing the game is about. Other characters get more damage via pokes, counter hit strings, and throws.

Spira

Banned
I played a couple of matches online and really enjoyed them. Don't normally play fighting games but I did alright in this 3W-1L

DEATH™

Nah, stance characters will be fine playing smart. You can block those slow invincible moves when you stance transition without attacking a lot of times - free launcher bait.

Which also means that stance chars also need to stop the pressure... This is why its not exclusive to stance and string chars but also to pressure chars like Nina and Anna, and tricky chars like Xiaoyu/Miharu. Pressure is almost negated if you and your opponent know that there is a panic button people can rely to at times. Pressure chars can't fully floor the pedal because of that and will fight a uphill battle versus turtlers...

*High rank player in the room.*

"Oh crap!! Is that a Mentor/Master, etc rank? How did he ge so high? I sure ain't fighting him!!!"

"I'm outta here. Gotta save my last ticket".

People refuse to fight high ranks and just let their turns go by over and over again lol until the higher rank finally player leaves the room.

I'm better than all of you fools. *Gets destroyed from a random guy spamming the same move over and over agan*.

"Um.....can you block in this game" How do you do the block thing?"

Character does a 3 hit combo. Ooooooohhhhhhaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! That's sick!!!!! They a beast!!!!

"Man, I been playing Tekken since the very beginning and I am so cold at some Tekken. I do not know why I cannot win in this. These people are beasts. Those lasers, flip kicks and spinning kicks are soooo cheap."

"Oh come the #@$# on!!!!!!!!! Why won't you guys fight me. I am just sitting here bored. I am not THAT good.

"I bet he is lag switching."

"Learn some new @#$*&^$ moves you @#@*#*!!!!!!! after getting lasered to death by Kazuya."

"I bet you can't beat me if you don't do those moves!!!!!!!"

*High rank player waits* "I am not going to fight that guy. No way!!! I'm going to get killed. You fight him Raioiuttes212311. No I'm not fighting him either, I suck. You fight him TooCool123210003. Naw man. I'm scared also. You fight him........."

Bet he be realz good. Look at that rank.

I just added money, I'm out of tickets already?

I keep running out of coins because I keep getting beat. I'm going to ask my parents for more money.

Man, this is taking my money and making me broke just like an arcade game.

Why can't I press start? Why am I red? Is this game is broken?

A few of these are not exactly verbatim, but really close to what I hear on the mics and read in the chat. Maybe they are not funny to other people, but this is what I hear on a average night and it makes me laugh for some reason. Keeps the room lively I suppose. They say other funny things that I rather not post on here.

I heard a rumor tonight from a random player that there is an update coming with a few new characters. He mentioned that Nina is being considered. I obviously have my suspicions and doubt there is an update coming with new characters coming this quick, but he claimed it was coming real soon.

TriAceJP

Do people just never fight against Leo or am I better than I think I am?

I've yet to lose a round using her.

Also Law users are the worst I've noticed.

Top Bottom