• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Revolution |OT| You can now really #BUFFLARS

Geniuzz

I downloaded the game a few days ago and played around a little. I beat Arcade once and played some ranked matches. All in all good fun, but once my credits ran out, I just went back to Tekken Tag 2. That makes me wonder if F2P is really the way to go in fighting games, but, keeping an open mind, I am looking forward to the expansions they'll offer and I'll see if that works for me.

Manbig

DEATH™;64195121 said:
Which also means that stance chars also need to stop the pressure... This is why its not exclusive to stance and string chars but also to pressure chars like Nina and Anna, and tricky chars like Xiaoyu/Miharu. Pressure is almost negated if you and your opponent know that there is a panic button people can rely to at times. Pressure chars can't fully floor the pedal because of that and will fight a uphill battle versus turtlers...

That situation already exists a ton in Tekken Tag 2. If the crush system doesn't get in the way of maintaining your offense properly, the Lightning Screws and Matterhorns of the game make you come to a dead stop due to their low hurtbox properties. And unlike the invincible moves in this game, they are freakin launchers!

Oh? How did I do? And please tell me I was playing as Law and not dabbling in my Kazuma past.

I didn't play him at his own game because it was against my principles or some such shit. I now realize it was the wrong thing to do.

I think near the end you tried to cheese it with his special. But people generally do, I've noticed. I play Asuka Kazuma in a very rushdown manner.

Fraeon

Oh man, I've been playing this and the game's been... interesting, I guess? Almost at Warrior rank now thanks to the opponents largely being hilariously bad. Bait the invulnerable move and punish the opponent with a good 70-90 hp combo. I mean, at first the invulnerable moves annoyed me but now they're like srks in Street Fighter. Just establish that you're willing to block before going for frame traps or tick throws.

It's kind of a fun diversion but once I max out my rank and get all the trophies, I'm not sure I'll bother with it unless they update it fast. Gonna go back to Tag 2 after that.

Doomshine

That situation already exists a ton in Tekken Tag 2. If the crush system doesn't get in the way of maintaining your offense properly, the Lightning Screws and Matterhorns of the game make you come to a dead stop due to their low hurtbox properties. And unlike the invincible moves in this game, they are freakin launchers!

...also if you want to risk a launch punishable move that doesn't even do that much damage then I will gladly punish you for it.

Manbig

...also if you want to risk a launch punishable move that doesn't even do that much damage then I will gladly punish you for it.

Exactly. This is why I'm not getting the people that are complaining about the invincible moves and then talk about running back to Tag 2 like it doesn't have things in it that are even more stupid. Yes, I like Tekken Tag 2 better also, but I'm not going to ignore this game that will probably have a large impact on the future of the series. I welcome trying out all the new funky stuff and refuse to just write things off like so many others are.

Pachimari

I seriously love this game, mostly because I also have a buddy from here who plays it. I still love TTT2 most.

Anyway unlocked Steve Fox yesterday yay - so now there's Alisa left. But of course I'm maining Marshal wa-chaaaaaa!

kick51

Banned
*High rank player in the room.*

"Oh crap!! Is that a Mentor/Master, etc rank? How did he ge so high? I sure ain't fighting him!!!"

lolol it takes like 10 wins to get there. I don't understand the ranking system in this game at all...is there a whole fleet of ranks after Grand Master?

I heard a rumor tonight from a random player that there is an update coming with a few new characters. He mentioned that Nina is being considered. I obviously have my suspicions and doubt there is an update coming with new characters coming this quick, but he claimed it was coming real soon.

Yeah, I wouldn't trust anything you hear from random players online. I'm sure a patch will eventually come, but I suspect it will make Jinpachi, Heihachi, and Ogre playable rather than adding anyone new.

DEATH™

Not really... this is way worse. The greatest difference for this are attack range, and its only invulnerable to a specific kind of attack. Hopkicks are jab interruptable to a float juggle (which people don't realize), linear and pretty short ranged. (I know since Im hopkicky until I battled Sayah). The only exception is Lars uf3 which goes under highs and have decent range (one of the reasons we hate him). You cant hopkick a guy who's already doing a lot of pressure against you since most of the time you are in frame disadvantage or your hopkicks are too slow. You are locked down.

(The only time random hopkicks are effective is at low attacks and dash attacks which are what tey are made of, and you can't still hopkick when you are locked down).

Now what this game did is to give everyone Lars uf3 which devolved the characters into Lars. You removed frame traps in the game, and its easy to do whiff punish in the game that you don't even have to think. You turned the game of chess into checkers, where people whose patient enough to not take any baits wins. Im puking at what happened to all the chars in the game, not only King.

Manbig

DEATH™;64244976 said:
Not really... this is way worse. The greatest difference for this are attack range, and its only invulnerable to a specific kind of attack. Hopkicks are jab interruptable to a float juggle (which people don't realize), linear and pretty short ranged. (I know since Im hopkicky until I battled Sayah). The only exception is Lars uf3 which goes under highs and have decent range (one of the reasons we hate him). You cant hopkick a guy who's already doing a lot of pressure against you since most of the time you are in frame disadvantage or your hopkicks are too slow. You are locked down.

(The only time random hopkicks are effective is at low attacks and dash attacks which are what tey are made of, and you can't still hopkick when you are locked down).

Now what this game did is to give everyone Lars uf3 which devolved the characters into Lars. You removed frame traps in the game, and its easy to do whiff punish in the game that you don't even have to think. You turned the game of chess into checkers, where people whose patient enough to not take any baits wins. Im puking at what happened to all the chars in the game, not only King.

No it did not give everyone Lars u/f+3, because they are not launchers. You're also completely ignoring the fact that the invincible window for these moves appear to be relatively short, so there are ways to use frame advantage that we don't know until we get a proper training mode. This is my whole point. People like you are making these ridiculous claims without anyone even being able to test how this stuff fully works.

Also, my examples were Lightning Screw and Matterhorn because those 2 moves duck under a lot of mids on top of crushing highs AND they are both launchers. In Lili's case, it's a launcher that gives her max damage juggles and for Lars, it also crushes lows.

I'll take it one step further. Backsway moves are also in Tag 2 and are probably the closest thing that in that game that these moves are comparable to. I don't think it is a coincidence that Lili and Kazuya's backsway moves are now also their invincible moves.

Doomshine

Seriously, the invincible moves don't destroy pressure and mixups at all. I decided to go the brain dead route when I was at a disadvantage and did Jack's invincible move... but I got hit out of it and lost the round. If I had been patient like a "normal" game of Tekken I would've punished for the win.

Manbig

Seriously, the invincible moves don't destroy pressure and mixups at all. I decided to go the brain dead route when I was at a disadvantage and did Jack's invincible move... but I got hit out of it and lost the round. If I had been patient like a "normal" game of Tekken I would've punished for the win.

Exactly. The only thing that these moves really shutdown is lazy or poorly implemented offense. Once we get a proper training mode, people will find lots of unique set ups to get around it. Much like how people figured out safe jump set ups in 2D fighters.

the so-called 'invincible moves' have non-invincible startup, i've been hit out of them so many times. you use them to stop the Law army, his critical hit sweep is insane.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Leo is a girl? :/

Also yeah: Leo is rarely picked. Mostly because of the way they work.

Doomshine

Leo is a girl? :/

Uh huh.

Bp3wn.jpg

GrayFoxPL

One more Paul note.

b,f1 knockdowns really close. You can even follow up with deathfist while their feet are still rised. Hard though. Other follow ups are easier.

Premium ticket gain info:

Clear Arcade 10 times

30 wins

50 wins

People kick me out of their rooms after witnessing Pauls ricockulus damage, lol.

Anyone else keep runnng into network errors when they host a room? It works perfectly fine for 5 or 6 matches but then I always get an error that boots me back to the player match menu. This never happens in TT2 or any other game, so I don't understand what the problem could be here.

AAK

I haven't been playing this all that much... but the power buffs are ridiculous. Makes everyone T5.0 Steve.

I mean THIS COMBO was on a 100% Asuka. It's one of the hardest things to do in the game execution wise but the fact that it isn't situational means it's something of concern. But alas, it's free.

EDIT: It's actually possible to land another EWGF if the there was a deeper dash before the 4th one haha.

GrayFoxPL

I haven't been playing this all that much... but the power buffs are ridiculous. Makes everyone T5.0 Steve.

I mean THIS COMBO was on a 100% Asuka. It's one of the hardest things to do in the game execution wise but the fact that it isn't situational means it's something of concern. But alas, it's free.

I got 40, power 40 vigor and 2 critical deathfists take 90% of health. So, yeah.

EDIT: It's actually possible to land another EWGF if the there was a deeper dash before the 4th one haha.

Rage isn't situational?

Doomshine

All right, I want Wang to be in this game.

Invincible move: d+1+2

Critical moves:

Deathfist

Bow & arrow

ff+2

d+3+4

Done, make it happen Namco.

Skilletor

Exactly. The only thing that these moves really shutdown is lazy or poorly implemented offense. Once we get a proper training mode, people will find lots of unique set ups to get around it. Much like how people figured out safe jump set ups in 2D fighters.

They remind me of SRKs. The people complaining about them stopping pressure sound like the people who don't want to learn how to beat shotos in SF.

It is to laugh.

I downloaded the game today, its just like TTT2 but limited in options and characters. Love the menu music.

It needs more Lee. :(

Agreed though, Menu music rocks. Whoaaaa a Whoaa! lol.

I don't see the point in putting a lot of skill points into Health. If you've got any sort of decent offense, you should put the majority of the points into Power. Not sure about the other state though. That's just Rage sometimes?

It needs more Lee. :(

Agreed though, Menu music rocks. Whoaaaa a Whoaa! lol.

I don't see the point in putting a lot of skill points into Health. If you've got any sort of decent offense, you should put the majority of the points into Power. Not sure about the other state though. That's just Rage sometimes?

The other thing, vigor, increases the chance of getting a critical hit on certain moves and has something to do with rage activating yes.

Just got a promotion match and lost because I decided to use Paul for absolutely no reason. I know ranked doesn't mean much but I just had to shake my head after the match. It's times like this I wish the ranks were still separated by character.

The other thing, vigor, increases the chance of getting a critical hit on certain moves and has something to do with rage activating yes.

Yeah, but Vigor is just a chance at a Crit Hit or Rage, even with tons of points put into it. Wouldn't that just be better spent on Power? At least until Power's maxed?

Yeah, but Vigor is just a chance at a Crit Hit or Rage, even with tons of points put into it. Wouldn't that just be better spent on Power? At least until Power's maxed?

Well some moves like Paul's deathfist can do insane damage on a critical so I would at least some points into it, but power is overall more useful yeah.

Well some moves like Paul's deathfist can do insane damage on a critical so I would at least some points into it, but power is overall more useful yeah.

Indeed. I use Law, as he's closest to my main, Lee, so Power would seem to be better suited to him. I can see Vigor helping a Paul or Bryan way more.

Also, is regular rage from Tekken 6 in this? I haven't really noticed, when your life is low, or is that just a random Vigor chance?

Sayah

Just got a promotion match and lost because I decided to use Paul for absolutely no reason. I know ranked doesn't mean much but I just had to shake my head after the match. It's times like this I wish the ranks were still separated by character.

The ranks aren't separated by character in this?

They are separated in TTT2 and T6.

Indeed. I use Law, as he's closest to my main, Lee, so Power would seem to be better suited to him. I can see Vigor helping a Paul or Bryan way more.

Also, is regular rage from Tekken 6 in this? I haven't really noticed, when your life is low, or is that just a random Vigor chance?

It activates when your life is low like in T6. Higher vigor just let's it activate earlier. I'm not sure if your opponents vigor affects this though. I know it can affect the critical hit chance but I just don't know if that applies to rage as well, I'm going to assume it does though.

Doomshine

How much Vigor your opponent has also matters. I wasn't planning on going heavy on Vigor at first but I decided to put at least a little into it so I would have a slight edge over people who have put nothing into it.

How much Vigor your opponent has also matters. I wasn't planning on going heavy on Vigor at first but I decided to put at least a little into it so I would have a slight edge over people who have put nothing into it.

i've been dumping points on all three evenly. And having critical hits more often is great for some seriously heavy combos.

Doomshine

i've been dumping points on all three evenly. And having critical hits more often is great for some seriously heavy combos.

That's probably good idea for some characters but I don't use Jack's critical moves in combos that often so I decided to put less emphasis on it.

A ff+1 crit is pretty good though :)

Manbig

That's probably good idea for some characters but I don't use Jack's critical moves in combos that often so I decided to put less emphasis on it.

A ff+1 crit is pretty good though :)

What are you using off of d/f+2 then? I've been going with:

d/f+2, f+1,2, b+3,1, f,f+1

Doomshine

What are you using off of d/f+2 then? I've been going with:

d/f+2, f+1,2, b+3,1, f,f+1

Same combo but b+3,2,2 at the end. Depending on the connection I might go for ff+1 or ff+2 at the end for open stages, but usually just b+3,2,2 for consistency.

Top Bottom