• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

Shouta

DEATH™;42414934 said:
Uhhh... LOL?

VF maybe, but SFIV?

Buh? VF and SFIV are stupid popular in Japan and Asia in general. VF has lost a tad of steam in recent years because it has only gotten revision updates instead of a new numbered game though. SF is still chugging along.

I should point out that the reason for Tekken's continued popularity is also due to the fact it has had consistent updates and the machines themselves are like everywhere. But Tekken 5, T5 Dark Res, T6, T6 Blood Rebellion, and Tag 2 has helped keep the looking fresh for players and has helped to hold their interest. The most popular arcade game in Japan, Gundam VS gets consistent game updates every few years either with a system overhaul or a revision and that's helped it remain the top game over there.

mephie

Neo Member
I know this is sort of off topic but...why the hell hasn't Soul Calibur 5 (or any of its iterations for that matter) taken off in Japan/Korea? It's an insanely fun game with great mechanics and at least deserves to share some of Tekken's hype.

Soul Calibur lost popularity among the hardcore players due to the lack of a competitive presence. I believe 3 was the last iteration to have an arcade release, and it was released after the console version. With this lack of a competitive scene at arcades, SC players had to rely on console tournaments, and these were plagued by poor character balancing. SC3 tournaments were always dominated by Sophitia and Asteroth, and SC4 tournaments usually consisted of nothing but Hilde and Algol. SC5 did a great job of overhauling the mechanics and balancing the characters, but all of the missing characters and movesets still deterred a lot of old fans.

It didn't help that the glitches in SC3 (variable cancel and save file corrupting) and the lack of content in SC4 and SC5 kept the series from attracting many new fans. I adore the Soul series and wish it had the same sort of following as Tekken. Unfortunately that probably won't happen until Namco starts releasing balanced SC arcade machines and completed console versions with enough single player content to rival the old weapon master modes.

KerryFigs

Neo Member
Is any GAFfers interested in a 360 lobby tonight?
I've been playing with some friends and it's been fun but I want to play new people.

MMaRsu

Well I'm on Ps3 I'm not good at all so feel free to add this noob to your online friend roster

MMaRsu is my PSN ID..got a good connection and I'm in the EU. Add me bro's!

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
For SF, I don't have to know frame data and all that to be good but in Tekken and other 3d fighters, knowing how to do the moves is just important as knowing their properties. The amount of movement, along with moves and the many scenarios that can happen makes the game much harder to grasp. Knowing how to do combos and moves is not difficult but knowing when to do them in relation to your opponent is something different.

And I guess ghost battle is never ending? 15+ battles and not one thing unlocked. I want some clouds!

For SF, I don't have to know frame data and all that to be good but in Tekken and other 3d fighters, knowing how to do the moves is just important as knowing their properties. The amount of movement, along with moves and the many scenarios that can happen makes the game much harder to grasp. Knowing how to do combos and moves is not difficult but knowing when to do them in relation to your opponent is something different.

And I guess ghost battle is never ending? 15+ battles and not one thing unlocked.

Did you select the opponents with the gold label? Those contain unlocks.

I cannot read frame data for the life of me.

I asked for an explanation earlier and got this very helpful response so hopefully that assists you:
There's not much frame data for Kuni right now, I guess big sites don't want problems with Prima, since publishing them would render their guide quite useless. Anyway, frame data isn't really hard to understand. I found this for Kuni's df+1,3:

i13 df1,3 -??/JG/JG *It's safe

This means the move starts in 13 frames (pretty fast, as the fastest moves in the game start in 10 frames*), it leaves you at a disadvantage on block (we still don't know how many frames, but it's listed as -something) and on hit/counter hit it juggles. It says it's safe, so I assume the disadvantage is less than 10 frames. When you find +something it means that you have the advantage, so you can move/attack before your opponent.

As for punishers, you can use every move fast enough to hit the opponent before he can move/block/attack, so if you are at +15, any move that starts in 15 frames or less is ok (though it'll be more difficult to hit your opponent with an i15 move than an i12 move because you'll need to input the move the very first frame you're free to attack!). When you look for punishers, sites usually list the most damaging and/or more reliable moves for punishing, so start from the fastest (they always work!) and proceed to the slowest. Remember that frames aren't everything, range and move pushback is also important, and that's why you may find more than one punisher for the same frame advantage.

*there are exceptions, but don't worry about them for now.

McNum

So, I decided to hit up training mode and see if I could make Heihachi or Yoshimitsu do something for me. First off, what the heck happened to Yoshimitsu? Half of the moves I liked have different inputs now. Aw... that'll take forever to unlearn that muscle memory. Guess he goes in the rejected pile, then...

But then there's Heihatchi. He seems rather straightforward. Literally. He moves forward, and keeps moving, fists first. So, scrolling through his Command List, I see "Wind God Fist" (f, N d, df+2) Is that the EWGF? Or is there a specific variant of it that's more powerful? It's a nice juggle starter, for sure, perfect float height.

In any case, I played with that input for a while, and I think I can get used to it. Just have to skip the diagonal move of a dragon punch and it comes out. I can learn this pretty well, I'd think.

If I can start to learn some Heihachi, I'll have a team ready: Xiaoyu/Heihachi. (Order to be determined.)

CSX

So, I decided to hit up training mode and see if I could make Heihachi or Yoshimitsu do something for me. First off, what the heck happened to Yoshimitsu? Half of the moves I liked have different inputs now. Aw... that'll take forever to unlearn that muscle memory. Guess he goes in the rejected pile, then...

But then there's Heihatchi. He seems rather straightforward. Literally. He moves forward, and keeps moving, fists first. So, scrolling through his Command List, I see "Wind God Fist" (f, N d, df+2) Is that the EWGF? Or is there a specific variant of it that's more powerful? It's a nice juggle starter, for sure, perfect float height.

In any case, I played with that input for a while, and I think I can get used to it. Just have to skip the diagonal move of a dragon punch and it comes out. I can learn this pretty well, I'd think.

If I can start to learn some Heihachi, I'll have a team ready: Xiaoyu/Heihachi. (Order to be determined.)

For ewgf, you do wind god fist but time your 2 perfectly with the df. If done correctly, you will see blue sparks and Heihachi yells "HO YEAH"

McNum

For ewgf, you do wind god fist but time your 2 perfectly with the df. If done correctly, you will see blue sparks and Heihachi yells "HO YEAH"
Ah! So that's what that was. I think the screen shook a bit, too. So I've pulled one or two off by accident, guess it's time to learn to do that on purpose. I just need to find out what to do once I get the opponent launched. I can't see any ready-made moves to follow up with. Well, apart from a quick punching combo, but that's kind of weak for that kind of setup.

Still, Heihachi is pretty fun to play, he's a total bully, even in my hands. Also, his ending is awesome.
I want a move where he transforms into Kuma now.

Smash Bro fan. Ugh. They're a whole different level of crazy.

I'm a Smash fan, best fanservice game ever. It had Mario fight Sonic! Woo!

How long am I gonna have to train before I can instinctively do these kind of combo's?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJg2FkYSVyk&feature=player_detailpage#t=596s

It all depends if you are a newcomer to the series, for someone who has played tekken 6, maybe less than an hour for the first one, regular 8-9 hit bound combo (well this one is 11 hit, but the last two is the same special move), but if you are a newbie, well, maybe a couple of days, you will need to learn the launchers, practice juggles first, then some bounds, and finally mix all together, the rest of them include tag assault, those are way more tricky

Sayah

For sure man, could you give me your GT so I can add you?

Edit: Could someone link me to the TTT2 360 Google Doc? I can't find it. ;3;

Right here

How long am I gonna have to train before I can instinctively do these kind of combo's?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJg2FkYSVyk&feature=player_detailpage#t=596s

Shouldn't take very long to do that. If you want, we can do practice sessions online and I can try to help with it if you are having trouble. PSN: roxen91

I created a PSN chat room for Tekken. Anyone wants in send an friend invite to me at PSN: Ferrio

I have you already added but you can send me the chat invite.

Oh so now somebody tells me. Even then I didn't run into one single one with a gold label.

I can get a lobby going (or Sayah) in a couple of hours if people are around.

I am around. :)

Smash Bro fan. Ugh. They're a whole different level of crazy.

Heeeeeeeey, I'm a Smash fan.

http://tgs2012.channel.or.jp/live_tv/channel_b.php

They're showing something.

Edit: - It's now over.

They showed a match on the Wii U version of the game, they went into a mode called "Kinoko Battle." It's the mode where there is mushroom's jumping and moving around in the background. Normal mushrooms increase your character's size while the the poison mushroom shrinks your character and inflicts a bit of damage onto your life. The poison mushroom doesn't kill you If you have really low health though. There's also a giant sized mushroom that makes you're character really tall, you can whiff moves from this state and a small opponent can't grab you in giant mode. Lastly there's the star item that makes your character invulnerable to all attacks for several seconds.

Also, Nintendo costumes get their own customization slot that's usually labelled C and a remix of this theme plays when the time gets below 20 seconds.

Well, doesn't seem like I missed much.

Raonak

Banned
This game looks suprisingly good. Was T6's graphics didn't give me confidence, and prologue made me give up hope.

Ferrio

Banned

LowParry

Naw Sayah. You're a different kind of crazy. As in crazy good. :D

Oh and my Kuni team is dead. It's been Kaz/Hei since. :/

DR2K

Banned
I'm seeing people with Nina's DBD costume. Why don't I have the DBD costume? I need to have the DBD costume.

Play as her (lead) in ghost battle and unlock customization items. I got it immediately. she has a DBD top and a DBD bottom in the customization.

Sayah

Play as her (lead) in ghost battle and unlock customization items. I got it immediately. she has a DBD top and a DBD bottom in the customization.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to play through more ghost battles. Most of my matches have been online. thanks.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
You don't even need her to be lead, but maybe you have better chances that way. I haven't even touched her an I have the bottom part.

DR2K

Banned
Yeah, I'm gonna have to play through more ghost battles. Most of my matches have been online. thanks.

I'd say about 10 or so battles will net you a few gold titled opponents(with items). Setting it to 1 round speeds it up.

You don't even need her to be lead, but maybe you have better chances that way. I haven't even touched her an I have the bottom part.

It'll prioritize her items if she's in the lead.

McNum

What are the ghosts on Ghost Battle ghosts of, anyway? They seem too themed in their custom outfits to be random.

I think my Ling/Heihachi team might be ready to face human opponents now. As a wise smuggler once said: "Good against remotes is one thing. Good against the living? That's something else." I'm probably going to get a harsh reminder of how true that is. Tomorrow. It's too late to start going online today.

My Heihaci is so basic, though... I'm basically just using his quick punches to punish whiffs. Of course, seeing as Heihachi and Xiaoyu have a Netsu bonus together, a simple combo can do devastating amounts of damage when Heihachi comes in. I think it activates at 40% damage or something like that.

Just bought this. haven't put any significant time into tekken since tag tournament came out. (I bought 4, 5, and 6 and played them for a grand total of about an hour, tops).

My skills are all gone, and I am a complete scrub at this. Tekken labs mode was kicking my ass. not looking forward to months of practice before i'm ready to play online :( :(

FroJay

Banned
Finally got my first ranked win online, but it was against another player who was 0-4. I also got a good win over a 1st dan ranked player in a player match. That is definitely my best win yet but I'm also losing to guys with Beginner rank so yeah....

I'm enjoying the game more than I thought I would, I'm a marginally decent Lei player, but I have Hwoarang as my second and I have no idea what the hell I'm doing with him. You can always tell when you play someone good as they're able to basically just toy with you by blocking and putting together insane combos.

I played a guy with the rank of Master in a player match, he used Anna and only Anna to completely destroy me. I did almost take one round because I landed some good mix ups with Lei, but I was helpless otherwise.

wooo jumped in the deep end of the pool after fighting some ghost battles. fought and won my first ranked match against some dude that was 0-4.

he was only using one fighter though, instead of a tag team?? should that be happening? if he had a full team I would definitely have lost.

Top Bottom