• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

DEATH™

^
^
^
Pics or it didn't happen :p

BTW Mark, the game is awesome, well you probably know it already... Please tell Harada for no dumbdown reboot please.

idk, I hope Tekken 7 is a total reboot. Let their designer's imaginations go wild with the characters people love and try new things and see what they can come up with.

To me, I think people will be more understanding and open to new gameplay mechanics if it's presented in the shells/designs of characters they love. Who knows though.

TTT2 will not go anywhere and still be around for people to play and enjoy.

Doomshine

idk, I hope Tekken 7 is a total reboot. Let their designer's imaginations go wild with the characters people love and try new things and see what they can come up with.

To me, I think people will be more understanding and open to new gameplay mechanics if it's presented in the shells/designs of characters they love. Who knows though.

TxSF should let them experiment.

Whatever they decide to do in Tekken 7, I think it would be a mistake to not include optional tag functionality. You shouldn't take away half the characters, completely change the base system, and totally gut a really fun gameplay mechanic for veterans all in one title. Had Tekken 4 picked *one* of the above and been more balanced it would have fared much better, IMO.

I have stated this before, but I liked tekken 4. It just needed patching back in the day to tweak it. Dat balance wasn't right, haha.

But ya know, everything in the past leads to today. Maybe TTT2 isn't what it is today if Tk4 didn't flop/fail/had a bad reception.

DR2K

Banned
TxSF should let them experiment.

Tekken gems, EWGF easy input, KBD easy input, auto 10 hit combos, auto low parry, auto block, etc. . .. On disc paid DLC expansion. Black and white colors available, the rest on disc are pending. No Anna to similar to Nina(fuck you harada).

DEATH™

No sir. T4 Hurt Tekken alot. It came to this point just to "regain" the popularity it once had.

Developing a game costs alot. Would you think doing drastic changes that can alienate your fans trying to please people who don't even care about the game much, expecting them to just play the older versions a good idea to say to your marketing people? It's easy for you guys to say REBOOT! but when the game comes out you don't even support it, especially when the game took away things that you love. I could understand if you're making a new IP, but KEEP TEKKEN TEKKEN... If I want a simplified fighting game, I'll play SFxT, but keep tekken tekken. We people enjoy learning, we enjoy creativity and control, and we are willing to do work to be good. That's why we play Tekken.

@DR2K lol truth

8byte

Banned
I have stated this before, but I liked tekken 4. It just needed patching back in the day to tweak it. Dat balance wasn't right, haha.

But ya know, everything in the past leads to today. Maybe TTT2 isn't what it is today if Tk4 didn't flop/fail/had a bad reception.

T4 needed a lot more than patching. The terrain was bad, stages were poorly designed, some of the characters were ruined, etc. It was pretty awful comparatively to other Tekken titles.

So which console has the better netcode? Ps3 or 360?

After seeing LUYG's stream, they look identical.

Although when Rip was playing on 360 he found matches more quickly while in PSN he had to wait longer to find matches. Also on PSN he found more stronger, better players compared to the 360 version.

Chairhome

Took me a while to connect to some games. Maybe cause I'm such a low level. My record online is 1W/4L. Haha. I need to practice. Or to get a converter for my PS2 stick. Pad is okay but I think I'd do better with stick.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Team BFGC will be a force one day.

May or may not have a lobby late tomorow. Rainy weekend so I might be playing more than usual.

Starting to like single player stuff again. Taking a long hiatus really does help.

Gambit61

esJBw.jpg

Wow, didn't expect to fight a ghost of someone I recognize. I also got Harada_Tekken (Hei/kuma) a few days ago, but that might be a random easter egg lol.

After seeing LUYG's stream, they look identical.

Although when Rip was playing on 360 he found matches more quickly while in PSN he had to wait longer to find matches. Also on PSN he found more stronger, better players compared to the 360 version.

Thanks. Yeah I have to wait awhile for matches on PSN. Oh well...

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Actually, Rip and I talked about this a few times. We both agree that the experience is better on Xbox 360.

I actually think the netcode / online V.S play aspect feels better on Xbox 360, from my experience of course.

DR2K

Banned
Actually, Rip and I talked about this a few times. We both agree that the experience is better on Xbox 360.

I actually think the netcode / online V.S play aspect feels better on Xbox 360, from my experience of course.

I'm sure it's because X360 doesn't have the 1 frame input lag PS3 does.

I have no problem during the fights, but finding a match is always taking me so long. In DOA5 I find oponnents rather easy and fast. But Ive encountered lots of lag with some people.

All on PS3 btw.

Oh really? Thanks! Time to double dip then! Guess it's finally time to get around to replacing my old slim.

SUPARSTARX

I think the only games that are "better" on PSN at the moment are Persona. And it's more about the quantity of connections really. XBL player search feels like it's dwindling down.

TTT2 feels good on both console for me but my preference is 360.

Now that I got that DOA flow out of the way, I'll be on TTT2 this weekend hardbody. Miss playing it. Love DOA more(Because of the movement)But the competition(And most of my friends)play TTT2. You know is bad when you're trying to do Bryan Fury combos with Bayman, lol.

Now that I got that DOA flow out of the way, I'll be on TTT2 this weekend hardbody. Miss playing it. Love DOA more(Because of the movement)But the competition(And most of my friends)play TTT2. You know is bad when you're trying to do Bryan Fury combos with Bayman, lol.
I know that feel, bro. Trying to bust out Bruce moves and combos with Zack's goofy ass.

AAK

Where are you getting this from? Only Capcom games have that extra frame of lag. T6 had no lag on either the PS3 or 360 versions (360 occasionally lags). TTT2 actually has 1-2 frames of lag on both PS3 and 360 versions thanks to Noodalls testing.

Also, here's a similar test, and the cool part is where he shows the lag during online play, gotta hand it to Harada & team. 5 bar connections are truly something.

i think its because of the quicker loading times on the 360 that make the experience better. hate waiting for millions of years for the character selection to load :p

8byte

Banned
I haven't noticed any differences outside of load time and search time between the two. Definitely not enough to warrant a double dip for sure.

zlatko

Banned
The best feature this game has brought is wtf.com, and I hope to see similar things brought into future fighters from all various developers.

Some ways to improve it and expand it:

Copy the HaloWaypoint.com idea of create a challenge where you can make objectives/goals for yourself and friends on your friendlist to accomplish and net yourself rewards.

Create a means to visit wtf.com from the game interface, as well as going to a PC.

Finally, take a page out of Metal Gear Online, and create a Tournament Weekend mode. On the weekend you can pair up with a few buddies(or your WTF team) or strangers if you can't find anyone, and compete in a tournament against other teams of players. Maybe make it so if you win against 3 other teams, then your whole team earns a unique logo/symbol only made available for that weekend or that month for use on wtf.com, and of course display on banners like they do now in game.

This way when people see this unique logo that only a few others have, they can see your team kicks mucho ass!

------

Just some thoughts. Make it happen Markman! :D

Skilletor

Wasn't it actually the reverse problem with T6? 360 version had the input lag, ps3 didn't.

Hey Tekken guys! I need halp w/ my gameplay. I haven't played Tekken seriously since...TTT, and I haven't watched many vids.

Please tell me why I suck:

(I'm skillzilla)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf06rkfEX54&list=UUBCmbEhZ6Kwq5mmboC5q6PA&index=7&feature=plcp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA-Dli-p3VE&list=UUBCmbEhZ6Kwq5mmboC5q6PA&index=6&feature=plcp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK8PwZ2CaP8&list=UUBCmbEhZ6Kwq5mmboC5q6PA&index=5&feature=plcp

Also, some if anybody could point out some vids of some good Hwaorang, F. Law, Raven, and Jin players, that'd be great.

DEATH™;42866467 said:
No sir. T4 Hurt Tekken alot. It came to this point just to "regain" the popularity it once had.

Developing a game costs alot. Would you think doing drastic changes that can alienate your fans trying to please people who don't even care about the game much, expecting them to just play the older versions a good idea to say to your marketing people? It's easy for you guys to say REBOOT! but when the game comes out you don't even support it, especially when the game took away things that you love. I could understand if you're making a new IP, but KEEP TEKKEN TEKKEN... If I want a simplified fighting game, I'll play SFxT, but keep tekken tekken. We people enjoy learning, we enjoy creativity and control, and we are willing to do work to be good. That's why we play Tekken.

@DR2K lol truth

Points heard, but I disagree with some.

Let me preface, I don't think there will be another numbered Tekken for like 5 years maybe. Unless they drop the TKxSF project.

- First off, whats up with the "we" and "you guys" stuff? You sound like a political convention, heh. The us versus them stuff is not healthy I think.

- You have clumped me in with "you guys", with whatever that means. I have been giving namco money since tekken 1 in the arcade in cathedral city mall in the 90's.

- You are erroneously grouping the stances/opinions of "reboot" and these other arguments about tekken being accessible to new people or not.

- If "reboot" the word rubs you wrong, then think of my opinion as wanted it to go a new direction, or trajectory. Experiment with different mechanics. Take some chances. Try something new.

Something being new and different doesn't automatically make it dumbed down or simplified. It's ignorant and short sighted to automatically think that just because they would be trying something new, and also a slight to Harada and his dev team that you couldn't trust them to create new takes and ideas with the tekken franchise and characters. Saying the tekken team taking a new direction with series is direct opposition to your love of learning, creativity and control doesn't make sense to me. Wouldn't you have to learn even more and be more creative, and open your mind more with some new fresh mechanics and different takes on oki, the wall game, go back to messing with terrain stuff?

Your point that a new take on mechanics is against the core of tekken is not automatically proven just by the fact that is a new take on it. That would be judged on the final product. Besides, your cores of creativity, movement, willing to put in work to learn can still live in a new, fresh take on tekken.

Because Tekken 4 failed, they should never try something new ever again? I think that is a sad thought, and I feel bad for their designers in that case if their creative freedom is stifled by a game 11 years ago.

My argument is if the team had the time to iterate on the concepts they had started there, it could had been something really cool (TTT2 is cool as well, maybe some of the best ever of course as well). There was no Tekken 4 DR, or BR. They went back to the formula quickly in TK5. I am glad the wall mechanics stuck though after TK4 and they tweaked and tinkered with that 5 and on.

Game publishers are more risk averse than ever, especially with new IP. What new fighting game IP has gained traction recently? Skullgirls? Does that count as successful? All the current big fighting game stuff IP wise was born in the 90's mostly or come from different media.

Let me in this current development and consumer environment propose this. If Harada and his design team wanted to stretch their arms creatively with new mechanics and gameplay ideas, what would be the more financially viable vessel to transport these ideas to the masses?

A new set of characters and universe or within the set of lived in/loved/developed lore and characters that are already in place? Marketing is going to tell them new IP doesn't sell. People love these characters. They get mad when you take them out and won't buy the games. Bulk of sales come from casuals, people like the graphics and characters.

What are they to do? Games take alot of money to make. Would the suits want a new tekken game or new IP? Would they even let the designers have freedom? Would they give them freedom, but they tell them keep it a "tekken" game, so it will be marketable and we can sell units.

In a perfect world, yes, Tekken team, make a new IP for your new gameplay ideas. I don't think that will be the case. Either, or. I just want to experience new gameplay mechanics in 5 years or something. I love the tekken universe as well. Why not have them there.

And at the heart of it, if the game has the soul of tekken, it would still work I think. The fear of what happened with TK4 should not hold them back imo.

Do you fear a SF3 from ST situation? 3 iterations of that got us the awesome 3S. I would love if they took another step out like Tekken 4 for Tekken 7, with the added experience of failures and successes through all these years to craft something awesome and newish, and put that fresh coat of paint on the tekken universe.

In argument about accessibility and tekken and dumbing it down. I personally think TTT2 is very accessible. That combot training thing is the not the greatest though, and not optimized for it's purpose.

Good list zlatko:

I have many ideas on how to improve it as well. Gonna email namco sometime, haha. Need to get them altogether.

8byte

Banned
TTT2 already has tons of new mechanics and is sound. T4 had tons of new mechanics and was NOT sound. I wouldn't act like the game hasn't evolved. Tekken now is VERY different from early Tekken, even recent titles like T4 and T5.

Skilletor - Who are you in those videos? Steve/Bruce?

TTT2 already has tons of new mechanics and is sound. T4 had tons of new mechanics and was NOT sound. I wouldn't act like the game hasn't evolved. Tekken now is VERY different from early Tekken, even recent titles like T4 and T5.

Skilletor - Who are you in those videos? Steve/Bruce?

4 was their 5th game, TTT2 is their 10th? I would expect it to be sound :)

And of course it has evolved. My argument is change doesn't automatically mean dumbed down. Bring on change in Tekken 7!

8byte

Banned
The problem with T4 wasn't necessarily that it was dumbed down, it was that the mechanics simply didn't work. Push was bad, elevation change was bad, random objects on some stages were bad. The only thing that made T4 easy was stuff like JFLS.

I agree random things on stages is bad. I do not agree elevation/terrain is bad. I hope they go back to that idea (obviously everybody disagrees with me on that one, heh) and mess with it some more. They only had 1 game to tinker with it. They've had 6 games to tinker with walls. I think they could possibly work out elevation.

8byte

Banned
I don't think they can, it opens the door for too much "random". Missing launchers or punishers, or elevation messing up carry on juggles. It removes a large part of the mixup game and instead replaces it with something that isn't always in the users control. I just don't think that's a good formula for a solid fighting game.

We can agree to disagree though :)

Top Bottom