• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

Skilletor

TTT2 already has tons of new mechanics and is sound. T4 had tons of new mechanics and was NOT sound. I wouldn't act like the game hasn't evolved. Tekken now is VERY different from early Tekken, even recent titles like T4 and T5.

Skilletor - Who are you in those videos? Steve/Bruce?

Raven, F. Law :)

I don't think they can, it opens the door for too much "random". Missing launchers or punishers, or elevation messing up carry on juggles. It removes a large part of the mixup game and instead replaces it with something that isn't always in the users control. I just don't think that's a good formula for a solid fighting game.

We can agree to disagree though :)

I see your point. But I don't think it is random. The terrain is not constantly changing. It's layout is it's layout at the start of the round.

I see people mess up wall combos on streams because they hit the wall at weird angles or something happens. Or somebody is launched at weird angles and things miss. Are those things random?

But yes, I guess we just disagree on this one. All good man!

They should make a side game called Fists of Iron and go crazy.

DR2K

Banned
I don't think they can, it opens the door for too much "random". Missing launchers or punishers, or elevation messing up carry on juggles. It removes a large part of the mixup game and instead replaces it with something that isn't always in the users control. I just don't think that's a good formula for a solid fighting game.

We can agree to disagree though :)

Is the stage floor going to randomly shift in the middle of the match or something? If the stage has slopes and is a constant then there is no "random" element in regard to stage design. You'd alter your combo like you would for a wall, or CH, or a broken floor, etc. . .

8byte

Banned
Is the stage floor going to randomly shift in the middle of the match or something? If the stage has slopes and is a constant then there is no "random" element in regard to stage design. You'd alter your combo like you would for a wall, or CH, or a broken floor, etc. . .

Character size, hit (clean or not) CH, etc all make it much less predictable and consistent, which, IMO, is bad for a fighter.

In addition to that, you can potentially have mids / highs that SHOULD hit, but miss due to a slight elevation difference, etc. it just removes too much consistency and can favor one player over another just based on circumstance.

As an example, if my move leaves me at +2 on hit, and you're on a decline, my high could miss and you get a free launcher, despite you clearly having started with the disadvantage. The problem is you can't always gauge when a move will or won't hit, and it adds a certain element of chance (or "randomness" as I poorly put it initially).

DR2K

Banned
Character size, hit (clean or not) CH, etc all make it much less predictable and consistent, which, IMO, is bad for a fighter.

In addition to that, you can potentially have mids / highs that SHOULD hit, but miss due to a slight elevation difference, etc. it just removes too much consistency and can favor one player over another just based on circumstance.

As an example, if my move leaves me at +2 on hit, and you're on a decline, my high could miss and you get a free launcher, despite you clearly having started with the disadvantage. The problem is you can't always gauge when a move will or won't hit, and it adds a certain element of chance (or "randomness" as I poorly put it initially).

It's a constant variable, so unless the engine is random then what your stating could not be considered random.

You'll learn never to do that move in that area and it won't miss ever again. It won't randomly hit in that spot. You're just learning another stage mechanic.

Ferrio

Banned
Fuck uneven floors.

I love that the guy championing them is the same guy that thinks tekken is too complex.

Uneven ground just changes the properties of moves too much, and is very inconsistant in how it does it. YES you could learn every exact placement on the stage, but it would take a lifetime. There's just too many variables at that point, an infinite amount I'd say if you added it.

8byte

Banned
It's a constant variable, so unless the engine is random then what your stating could not be considered random.

You'll learn never to do that move in that area and it won't miss ever again. It won't randomly hit in that spot. You're just learning another stage mechanic.

It's unnecessary and inconsistent. It was in T4, and I have no doubts it would be the same in another Tekken. If you are going to get hit with a move, you deserve the punisher to follow, you don't deserve that lucky second chance granted by circumstance of you being in the right place at the right time completely by coincidence.

Fuck uneven floors.

I love that the guy championing them is the same guy that thinks tekken is too complex.

Uneven ground just changes the properties of moves too much, and is very inconsistant in how it does it. YES you could learn every exact placement on the stage, but it would take a lifetime. There's just too many variables at that point, an infinite amount I'd say if you added it.

Yo man, We tekken players enjoy learning (all these variables), we enjoy creativity and control (in my placement on the stage), and we are willing to do work (learning all these situations) to be good.

:)

DR2K

Banned
Fuck uneven floors.

Uneven ground just changes the properties of moves too much, and is very inconsistant in how it does it. YES you could learn every exact placement on the stage, but it would take a lifetime.

Uneven terrain isn't random is all I'm trying to get across.

Not really, lol. It would be like learning what wall breaks where, and what floor breaks here and you'd build a combo around it. It wouldn't be a major shift in game play logic.

It's unnecessary and inconsistent. It was in T4, and I have no doubts it would be the same in another Tekken. If you are going to get hit with a move, you deserve the punisher to follow, you don't deserve that lucky second chance granted by circumstance of you being in the right place at the right time completely by coincidence.

Cool, your definitions for some terms are way off though. It's a mechanic that stays the same, how you work around it is your own business.

8byte

Banned
The two things that stood out to me were your frequent tech rolls and your mix up wasn't very strong. Try to work in as many low pokes as you can and mix up high / mid followers. If you can train your opponents to duck, you can control the match. Just be sure to throw out those low pokes at random, not always after the same moves (else you'll get low parrys / launchers, etc).

Tech rolls are a two sided knife, you have to know when you can and can't, and it varies per opponent. Some characters it doesn't matter, but others (like Capo characters) can really hurt your game if you tech. That Steve player had some options to punish on tech but didn't.

Also try to work in more tag assaults, it's a little bit of free damage that goes a long way to help win match.

Also, learn how to beat pressure when you turtle, or get very very good at blocking highs and lows, and duck those throws on reaction. Most players who put on poke pressure will mix up with a low or throw to get you to duck for a free launcher. If all else fails, try a good old d/f+1 to go under high jabs and throw them off their game.

DR2K - Fair enough :)

CSX

Read 8byte's post and ill focus a bit on your F.Law since i dont play raven

Dont do 4,3 by itself. its worthless since Forest doesnt have DSS. Either do 4 for CH combo or commit to the 432. If your opponent can duck the 43 strings on reaction, then ONLY fish for 4 and keep 432 and 434 for juggles. You will want to calm down on the d23s and double flips. You got lucky that your buddy didnt know that he gets a full combo everytime he blocks it :p

Incorporate more slides. Just going full crouch for the ws2 mixups is worthless unless your opponent knows that you can and will do slides all day. If your opponent knows how to punish the ws2 launcher on block, then you can do the safer mixup which is ws3. decent damange, wall splats, safe on block.

Ferrio

Banned
Uneven terrain isn't random is all I'm trying to get across.

Not really, lol. It would be like learning what wall breaks where, and what floor breaks here and you'd build a combo around it. It wouldn't be a major shift in game play logic.

It's not random, but there's enough variables in the equation that it might as well be. Right now the two big ones that factor in moves are player size, and axis. Character size isn't too bad, modifies some of your juggles and you're good. Axis is a bit more complex, but manageable. Now both of these are pretty much consistent anywhere in the stage.

Soon as you put uneven grounds in, it''ll NEVER be consistent. Every axis and distance change could result in a different move property, combined with character size and you'd have a headache. You'd have to be familiar with the exact position in the map, on that exact angle, at that exact distance, against that exact character. That's really not humanly possible to do, or even fun IMO. You can have general ideas (oh if i'm on an incline, and at an angle this *probably* will work), but then you'll get into weird cases the more complex the terrain is.

Skilletor

The two things that stood out to me were your frequent tech rolls and your mix up wasn't very strong. Try to work in as many low pokes as you can and mix up high / mid followers. If you can train your opponents to duck, you can control the match. Just be sure to throw out those low pokes at random, not always after the same moves (else you'll get low parrys / launchers, etc).

Tech rolls are a two sided knife, you have to know when you can and can't, and it varies per opponent. Some characters it doesn't matter, but others (like Capo characters) can really hurt your game if you tech. That Steve player had some options to punish on tech but didn't.

Also try to work in more tag assaults, it's a little bit of free damage that goes a long way to help win match.

Also, learn how to beat pressure when you turtle, or get very very good at blocking highs and lows, and duck those throws on reaction. Most players who put on poke pressure will mix up with a low or throw to get you to duck for a free launcher. If all else fails, try a good old d/f+1 to go under high jabs and throw them off their game.

DR2K - Fair enough :)

Dont do 4,3 by itself. its worthless since Forest doesnt have DSS. Either do 4 for CH combo or commit to the 432. If your opponent can duck the 43 strings on reaction, then ONLY fish for 4 and keep 432 and 434 for juggles. You will want to calm down on the d23s and double flips. You got lucky that your buddy didnt know that he gets a full combo everytime he blocks it :p

Incorporate more slides. Just going full crouch for the ws2 mixups is worthless unless your opponent knows that you can and will do slides all day. If your opponent knows how to punish the ws2 launcher on block, then you can do the safer mixup which is ws3. decent damange, wall splats, safe on block.

Thanks!

I have a tourney next month and hoping not to get bodied. :p

Dereck

Wow, perfect.

Doomshine

Wasn't it actually the reverse problem with T6? 360 version had the input lag, ps3 didn't.

Hey Tekken guys! I need halp w/ my gameplay. I haven't played Tekken seriously since...TTT, and I haven't watched many vids.

Please tell me why I suck:

Also, some if anybody could point out some vids of some good Hwaorang, F. Law, Raven, and Jin players, that'd be great.

In the first video @0:22: I don't know if it was an input error, but you can B! with b+4,4 after ws+4.

In the second video @0:52 you can B! with ub+1,2 after db+2,1.

Also, if you get hit by Steve's ff+2 just take the grounded hit and tech, he can float you for a combo if you try to get up.

Be careful with Raven's db+2,1 as well, any player that knows Raven will duck the second hit and launch you.

That's what I can think of for now. For good players check out these channels:

http://www.youtube.com/user/taktak1893/videos?view=0
http://www.youtube.com/user/S8M9E2JX/videos?view=0

A good Raven is Navee and for Jin you can check out Hao.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Is there a way to reset a character's customization and free slots? Loading costume select is starting to piss me off on the PS3 and I want to reset some characters.

CSX

Is there a way to reset a character's customization and free slots? Loading costume select is starting to piss me off on the PS3 and I want to reset some characters.

for me, selecting the character's costume back to Costume A stops it from loading for that character for later selections

DEATH™

The team rewards are already in the arcades, where you finish goal/s and win items... I'm wondering if they will implement it on consoles since some people want the items but don't want to play online...

Tourney mode I agree with... And Team Deathmatches too... That would be awesome.

Points heard, but I disagree with some.

Let me preface, I don't think there will be another numbered Tekken for like 5 years maybe. Unless they drop the TKxSF project.

- First off, whats up with the "we" and "you guys" stuff? You sound like a political convention, heh. The us versus them stuff is not healthy I think.

- You have clumped me in with "you guys", with whatever that means. I have been giving namco money since tekken 1 in the arcade in cathedral city mall in the 90's.

Sorry if that sounded bad for you, I've been dealing with "reboot" arguments just lately, especially on SRK...

- You are erroneously grouping the stances/opinions of "reboot" and these other arguments about tekken being accessible to new people or not.

- If "reboot" the word rubs you wrong, then think of my opinion as wanted it to go a new direction, or trajectory. Experiment with different mechanics. Take some chances. Try something new.

They are already trying new mechanics over each iteration, There's nothing to actually "change" unless they want to go MK/SCV 8 way run movement, which again will not be "Tekken"

Something being new and different doesn't automatically make it dumbed down or simplified. It's ignorant and short sighted to automatically think that just because they would be trying something new, and also a slight to Harada and his dev team that you couldn't trust them to create new takes and ideas with the tekken franchise and characters. Saying the tekken team taking a new direction with series is direct opposition to your love of learning, creativity and control doesn't make sense to me. Wouldn't you have to learn even more and be more creative, and open your mind more with some new fresh mechanics and different takes on oki, the wall game, go back to messing with terrain stuff?

Your point that a new take on mechanics is against the core of tekken is not automatically proven just by the fact that is a new take on it. That would be judged on the final product. Besides, your cores of creativity, movement, willing to put in work to learn can still live in a new, fresh take on tekken.

First of all, you gotta consider the IDENTITY of a franchise. What if Street Fighter all of a sudden became a 3D fighter? That would sound cool and all, until you realize that it completely destroys everything that SF became signature at. Fireballs are moot for sidesteps, Anti-airs are more dangerous because of whiffs, etc. It WILL completely change how you play the game, and it's basically not Street Fighter anymore. People who play Street Fighter competitively will get mad, while casuals will be bizzared because this is not Street Fighter AT ALL.

That's why you don't make change for the sake of change. Just simple "new take" can mess up that way on how you play the game. You want Tekken to be a free-roaming fighter? That won't be Tekken.

Because Tekken 4 failed, they should never try something new ever again? I think that is a sad thought, and I feel bad for their designers in that case if their creative freedom is stifled by a game 11 years ago.

They are trying something new... but at the same time, they are confining themselves to the game's identity. Those Floors, Walls and Balcony Breaks add environmental aspects already, yet they are implemented tightly that it's still Tekken, another underrated change is the bound. Just imagine completely checking every single character to have useful bound moves and not make the juggles for each chars completely screwed over? That's a nightmare to balance. (I think T6.0 have that problem)

My argument is if the team had the time to iterate on the concepts they had started there, it could had been something really cool (TTT2 is cool as well, maybe some of the best ever of course as well). There was no Tekken 4 DR, or BR. They went back to the formula quickly in TK5. I am glad the wall mechanics stuck though after TK4 and they tweaked and tinkered with that 5 and on.

Here's the problem, if you add something, would that result in a good thing or bad thing gameplay wise? That's the lesson learned in T4.

Look, I personally want a more robust takedown game, where you can deal great damage and guessing game of punches and a different submission mechanic where you can still inflict damage unless the opponent finally escapes, but when implemented, will that be a bit broken and nuisance to deal with, what about the kung-fu chars that don't have robust takedowns? will they be greatly disadvantaged? Will the game be just tackle-tackle-tackle?

I also want nimble characters to have more robust options out of a high jump (like Kuni throwing kunais at jump, King having a tornado DDT out of a jump) but is jumping already risky? Will doing that be worth it if they are not gonna be used anyway?

Look, you gotta consider those things before you add or change a machanic. And not only it takes a lot of work, it also takes a lot of labor monet too to just perfectly balance, and you're not even considering other things like how will that mechanic transform the way you play the game, and there might be broken stuff to come out. Considering too that the game might not be well received, why do this hard work and investment for a gamble that's odds are not on your favor?

Game publishers are more risk averse than ever, especially with new IP. What new fighting game IP has gained traction recently? Skullgirls? Does that count as successful? All the current big fighting game stuff IP wise was born in the 90's mostly or come from different media.

What new IP? Blazblue? P4A?

Let me in this current development and consumer environment propose this. If Harada and his design team wanted to stretch their arms creatively with new mechanics and gameplay ideas, what would be the more financially viable vessel to transport these ideas to the masses?

If you're talking about "new" mechanics, they are doing that already, Tag Assaults and Tag Crashes anyone?

A new set of characters and universe or within the set of lived in/loved/developed lore and characters that are already in place? Marketing is going to tell them new IP doesn't sell. People love these characters. They get mad when you take them out and won't buy the games. Bulk of sales come from casuals, people like the graphics and characters.

Yeah might as well make a new IP

What are they to do? Games take alot of money to make. Would the suits want a new tekken game or new IP? Would they even let the designers have freedom? Would they give them freedom, but they tell them keep it a "tekken" game, so it will be marketable and we can sell units.

What is Tekken then? Tekken is alot of Mishimas, animals, schoolgirls, deities, robots, martial artists, soldiers, ninjas and assassins all clustered together in one big happy tourney. Would you think reformatting won't hurt? Look at SCV... As a designer, you gotta know what's the identity of the franchise, and not divert from it. What you're saying basically a departure from what we know of in Tekken.

In a perfect world, yes, Tekken team, make a new IP for your new gameplay ideas. I don't think that will be the case. Either, or. I just want to experience new gameplay mechanics in 5 years or something. I love the tekken universe as well. Why not have them there.

And at the heart of it, if the game has the soul of tekken, it would still work I think. The fear of what happened with TK4 should not hold them back imo.

Again, what's Tekken? you gotta pinpoint that out. It's easy to say "this game must have the soul of Tekken", but what is Tekken? When you actually go to the drawing board, you gotta have that.

Do you fear a SF3 from ST situation? 3 iterations of that got us the awesome 3S. I would love if they took another step out like Tekken 4 for Tekken 7, with the added experience of failures and successes through all these years to craft something awesome and newish, and put that fresh coat of paint on the tekken universe.

The Tekken formula right now is perfect, there is nothing to change at all. The game is evolving still too...

In argument about accessibility and tekken and dumbing it down. I personally think TTT2 is very accessible. That combot training thing is the not the greatest though, and not optimized for it's purpose.

Yeah the game is accessible enough, Namco struck gold between depth, high creative ceiling and accessibility...

Responses in bold

Wasn't it actually the reverse problem with T6? 360 version had the input lag, ps3 didn't.

Hey Tekken guys! I need halp w/ my gameplay. I haven't played Tekken seriously since...TTT, and I haven't watched many vids.

Please tell me why I suck:

(I'm skillzilla)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf06rkfEX54&list=UUBCmbEhZ6Kwq5mmboC5q6PA&index=7&feature=plcp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA-Dli-p3VE&list=UUBCmbEhZ6Kwq5mmboC5q6PA&index=6&feature=plcp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK8PwZ2CaP8&list=UUBCmbEhZ6Kwq5mmboC5q6PA&index=5&feature=plcp

Also, some if anybody could point out some vids of some good Hwaorang, F. Law, Raven, and Jin players, that'd be great.

You're actually better than me, I panic all the time... :p

Sorry Death, but I don't think Tekken is perfect. Nothing is perfect. I hope they don't think their game is perfect as designers.

Would respond more, but I'm at the park, haha. Dumb phones.

DR2K

Banned
It's not random, but there's enough variables in the equation that it might as well be. Right now the two big ones that factor in moves are player size, and axis. Character size isn't too bad, modifies some of your juggles and you're good. Axis is a bit more complex, but manageable. Now both of these are pretty much consistent anywhere in the stage.

Soon as you put uneven grounds in, it''ll NEVER be consistent. Every axis and distance change could result in a different move property, combined with character size and you'd have a headache. You'd have to be familiar with the exact position in the map, on that exact angle, at that exact distance, against that exact character. That's really not humanly possible to do, or even fun IMO. You can have general ideas (oh if i'm on an incline, and at an angle this *probably* will work), but then you'll get into weird cases the more complex the terrain is.

The uneven ground stays the same, it will always be consistant. Tekken 4 may not have implemented all its new mechanics well, but it had a lot of good ideas. Did the ground randomly pop up inbetween combos for shits and giggles in Tekken 4?

Ferrio

Banned
The uneven ground stays the same, it will always be consistant. Tekken 4 may not have implemented all its new mechanics well, but it had a lot of good ideas. Did the ground randomly pop up inbetween combos for shits and giggles in Tekken 4?

You didn't understand what I said. Yes the ground stays the same in each exact position at each exact angle, at each exact distance. But you're not standing still, you're constantly moving which causes moves to act very inconsistent, and could change constantly in matter of seconds.

Imagine playing Street Fighter and your moveset is different every 2 steps.

Degen

Lol, whoever told me about a lot of Feng players online throwing out a bunch of f+3,4's was not kidding

Not sure why I didn't notice it before. Kick reversals can shut him down hard

DSix

Banned
Kadey, I gotta say, your music choices are excellent. Care to share your selection?

edit; oh I see... not using tekken tunes

Why don't we add sloped stages to 2D fighters and see how well that goes. What's that? Your Haduken flies over my head now because I am in the bottom of the slope? Oh well, it's more depth!

Skilletor

Why don't we add sloped stages to 2D fighters and see how well that goes. What's that? Your Haduken flies over my head now because I am in the bottom of the slope? Oh well, it's more depth!

I honestly don't see anything wrong with that, personally, but it's hardly a fair comparison. It's not like other games (DoA) haven't done slopes very well. The evolution from DoA2 to now is pretty cool. It was broken, now it isn't. Tekken tried it once, failed, and decided to get rid of it completely.

8byte

Banned
We're taliing about superior 3D fighters.

Which would still suffer from similar problems. Circumstance and chance is never good in a fighter, IMO. Especially when you can't "aim" your attacks. It makes sense in something like a shooter because you can point where you want your attack to go. A high in Tekken will always be high, and as a result may miss.

I get what you're saying, but basically we're just trying to say that elevation is not good in Tekken, regardless of the silly semantics we're all trying to argue here.

I honestly don't see anything wrong with that, personally, but it's hardly a fair comparison. It's not like other games (DoA) haven't done slopes very well. The evolution from DoA2 to now is pretty cool. It was broken, now it isn't. Tekken tried it once, failed, and decided to get rid of it completely.

I think the sloped stages and stages with lots of danger zones are terrible in DOA. I barely tolerate walls and floor breaks in Tekken.

Skilletor

I think the sloped stages and stages with lots of danger zones are terrible in DOA. I barely tolerate walls and floor breaks in Tekken.

That's cool, opinions and all, but it has nothing to do with what you're talking about while being another element for players to take into consideration, exactly like a wall in Tekken. Personal opinion doesn't really add in to your argument. Otherwise you should just say, "I don't like it," and leave it at that.

Skilletor

I'm not really hearing any compelling arguments from the other side either.

I don't need a compelling argument. I have what I want. I have walls and stages with collapsing floors in Tekken, slopes and everything else in DoA that aren't a detriment to gameplay, make both people pay attention to the ground on which they are fighting, aren't random, and add a dynamic to the gameplay.

I've never had a high attack go over my opponent's head in DoA because they were on a slope. It's still clear the level at which my strikes will land. Sometimes I get another rep on a string or something connects that wouldn't on a flat plane.

The problems people complain about in T4 have long since been remedied in DoA. Just because two games (VF3 and Tekken 4) did it wrong a decade ago doesn't mean the idea should be scrapped. If those things bother you then you really should be playing 2D fighters.

CSX

Hey boutdown, I just checked.

Our record so far between our miguel/F.law mirror matches is 2-1 me.

Every other time we fought was different characters.

Top Bottom