• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

Dereck

I know I've talked about learning DSS before, but after 2 years I think I've officially learned the "secret" to DSS.

DSS moves are useless if you can't do them seamlessly, the secret is: after pressing b,f, you have to basically press "f,N" instead of just "f". b,f does the "walking back action, but if you lightly tap "f" instead of pressing "f", he will go into the stance faster. This makes it a lot easier.

I even went back and played Tekken 4, 5, and 6, and tested the "f,N" theory and it works. More Practice mode for me. Seriously, even though Forest as d, 2, 3 Marshall is almost twice as better if you know how to use DSS properly.

GrayFoxPL

I know I've talked about learning DSS before, but after 2 years I think I've officially learned the "secret" to DSS.

DSS moves are useless if you can't do them seamlessly, the secret is: after pressing b,f, you have to basically press "f,N" instead of just "f". b,f does the "walking back action, but if you lightly tap "f" instead of pressing "f", he will go into the stance faster. This makes it a lot easier.

I even went back and played Tekken 4, 5, and 6, and tested the "f,N" theory and it works. More Practice mode for me. Seriously, even though Forest as d, 2, 3 Marshall is almost twice as better if you know how to use DSS properly.

Last time I played Law in T4, but isn't Full DSS b~f,b~f ? The "I'm shitting" stance. Just one b~f is the basic backing away dss. Maybe they changed it after T4 dunno.

guek

Banned
I don't know, but seeing as most multiplatform games struggle on the Wii U at 720p we can probably say that it's not running at native 1080p. Btw, no retail games on the Wii U runs at 1080p as far as I know.

Scribblenauts!! :p

But yeah, pretty sure this game isn't at anything above 720p. I would really love to hear more impressions too (I'll have to read back a few pages to see if there are any good ones) I'll probably be picking it up the moment it appears on the eshop :)

AAK

So Heihachi has a Wind God Fist in PSABR. f+4 does his wavedash, and then you can press 1 right after to a Wind God Fist. Cool thing is... when you do f+4~1 you get an ELECTRIC! That was kinda neat. Thank you Ed ma for doing this. And his u+1,1 does his Tekken 5 DR twin pistons! My random purchase is redeemed.

Dereck

So Heihachi has a Wind God Fist in PSABR. f+4 does his wavedash, and then you can press 1 right after to a Wind God Fist. Cool thing is... when you do f+4~1 you get an ELECTRIC! That was kinda neat. Thank you Ed ma for doing this. And his u+1,1 does his Tekken 5 DR twin pistons! My random purchase is redeemed.
:)

Skilletor

Tutorial did not help me because watching does not help me, I have to do. I've watched this video 4 times this year, hasn't helped at all.

Well...yeah, you watch, and then you do. lol.

It's an explanation of the timing, how hit analysis can let you actually see when you need to do the inputs. It's not magically going to make you able to do DSS without actually practicing. :p

Sayah

I guess not many people bought this on Wii U. Not really seeing many impressions on this site. And there's only like one review out. What a shame.

I guess not many people bought this on Wii U. Not really seeing many impressions on this site. And there's only like one review out. What a shame.

I've been looking for impressions on this game for Wii U as well just for comparison and I cannot hardly find anything. I figured the game would not sell too well too well on the Wii U because I personally do not think the audience/demographic cares for games like this, but I think it performed worst than I could of imagined. It is truly a shame.

MarkusRJR

I'm picking it up as soon as I can find a copy. I've never played Tekken though, but the Giant Bomb Wii U marathon got me interested. I the game accessible to someone who's fighting game experience pretty much equates to Smash Bros? Oh and howich content is in it?

Dereck

Well...yeah, you watch, and then you do. lol.

It's an explanation of the timing, how hit analysis can let you actually see when you need to do the inputs. It's not magically going to make you able to do DSS without actually practicing. :p
Do you play Marshall?

I'm picking it up as soon as I can find a copy. I've never played Tekken though, but the Giant Bomb Wii U marathon got me interested. I the game accessible to someone who's fighting game experience pretty much equates to Smash Bros? Oh and howich content is in it?

Well, that depends on what you want really. If you just wanna play it casually with friends, it's a great game for that. Plenty of characters in the game are easy enough to pick up and find something cheap to troll with. :) If you want hours and hours of rich single player content, this game really isn't that, save for endless Ghost Battles and a fairly robust customization system (tons of stuff to unlock). If you want to grind it out online, prepare to do a lot of practicing and learning and losing, there's no way around that. This game is super deep with a ton of characters that have a ton of gimmicks you need to know how to deal with. The netcode is the best in the business, so no worries on that front.

All in all, it's one of the best fighters this gen, just try not to get overwhelmed.

It's nothing like Smash Bros., but you can still have fun with it. Wii U version has more goofy costumes and Tekken Ball, but every mode involves the usual fighting.

Sayah

I love Smash Bros. and I also love Tekken. Therefore, if you love Smash Bros., you will also love Tekken. :p

Seriously, you should buy it. It's one of the best if not the best fighter we've had this generation. It's filled with content and there's so many characters that you'll have no problem finding one that you like. And I am certain that anyone can become good at this. Don't go in with the mindset that "I'm not good at fighting games" or "I have no experience with fighting games." Choose a character that fits your style and stick with him/her. Play local and ranking matches, spend a lot of time in practice and eventually things will start to click. And then you will love this game more than anything.

Im still on the fence about this game too. Im terrible at Tekken and am mainly a single player person. Is the arcade mode at least fun to go through a bunch of times?

I have it from GameFly on the Wii U, and I think it plays great. I've had a slight slowdown in a couple matches, but other than that, it works great. The touch-screen "easy" moves are actually pretty neat for a quick run through the Arcade mode with unfamiliar characters, and the Mushroom battle is pretty cool too (I haven't tried Tekken Ball yet).

Linkhero1

I bought this on the Wii U day 1. Haven't had any particular issues with the game aside from a single lockup during the load screen. The games a blast. You have everything unlocked from the beginning including all the Nintendo costumes, which I find amusing. I'm not digging the Nintendo item mode where you shrink and get bigger once you touch a shroom. It's a neat idea, but it doesn't really add anything in terms of gameplay. Tekken Ball is fun. If you enjoyed it in Tekken 3 then you're going to love it in TTT2 Wii U Edition. I haven't had a chance to play online so I'm not entirely sure how their netcode is for this game. I held out buying this game on my 360 and I'm glad I did. If you're a Tekken fan and have the Wii U then you should definitely check this out. It's probably the best 3rd party port.

A.E Suggs

I can't find the fucking game, our walmart only had 20 copies of the game and they said they sold out with the wiiU and basically its the same with the gamestops in my area. Except that one gamestop didn't get any at all. I'll have it by next week if i'm lucky.

Linkhero1

I can't find the fucking game, our walmart only had 20 copies of the game and they said they sold out with the wiiU and basically its the same with the gamestops in my area. Except that one gamestop didn't get any at all. I'll have it by next week if i'm lucky.

I went to ToysRUs and they didn't have it either. I believe it was the only launch game they didn't have too. I called several in my location and none of them got it. Target might have a few if you have a Target nearby. For some reason they don't keep them out on display so you have to task the person at Electronics.

Tizoc

What do the Tekken Movie pack dlcs on PSN and XBL contain? Does it contain all the endings and video cutscnes from the older games?

ToD_

Just noticed it's up on the eShop now. Now, I'd love to give my impressions about this game, but the estimated time remaining of my download is 18 hours and 45 minutes (for 16GB).

A little strange, as normally my download speeds are much faster, even on other wifi devices. Usually at around 2MB/s, which would mean less than 3 hours for this game.

Sayah

Maybe people are buying it then. hahahaha

What do the Tekken Movie pack dlcs on PSN and XBL contain? Does it contain all the endings and video cutscnes from the older games?

Yeah, the movie DLC packs contain past character endings.

I bought this on the Wii U day 1. Haven't had any particular issues with the game aside from a single lockup during the load screen. The games a blast. You have everything unlocked from the beginning including all the Nintendo costumes, which I find amusing. I'm not digging the Nintendo item mode where you shrink and get bigger once you touch a shroom. It's a neat idea, but it doesn't really add anything in terms of gameplay. Tekken Ball is fun. If you enjoyed it in Tekken 3 then you're going to love it in TTT2 Wii U Edition. I haven't had a chance to play online so I'm not entirely sure how their netcode is for this game. I held out buying this game on my 360 and I'm glad I did. If you're a Tekken fan and have the Wii U then you should definitely check this out. It's probably the best 3rd party port.

I've heard the netcode is great on Wii U as well.

Played ranked last night for around 3 hours, and I seriously played against over half the cast (35 characters by my count). I was not prepared for this. ;_;

Yuripaw

Banned
Just bought the Wii U version off the eShop. My first digital retail game on the Wii U, and already half of my system memory is gone, lol. I'm still working on getting a HDD for it though, so it'll be all good eventually.

My god though, this thing is massive. 15gb, been downloading it all night, and it's jumping from 2 hours to 6 hours. Not sure how much longer it's gonna take.

Complete Nintendo costume list...

Mario: Bob, Eddy, Heihachi, Jack-6, Kuma, Paul
Luigi: Marshall, Miguel, Prototype Jack, Sebastian, Slim Bob, Wang
Princess Peach: Christie, JayCee, Lili, Panda, Xiaoyu
Toad: Feng, Jinpachi, Lei, Tiger
Bowser: Alex, Ganryu, Mokujin, Ogre, Roger Jr.
Link: Jin, Kazuya, Lars, Yoshimitsu
Princess Zelda: Alisa, Angel, Asuka, Jun, Michelle*, Nina
Sheik: Forest, King*, Leo, Miharu, Violet*
Ganondorf: Ancient Ogre, Armor King, Combot, Devil Jin, Dragunov
Captain Falcon: Bryan, Craig, Marduk, Raven
Zero Suit Samus: Anna, Kunimitsu, Unknown*, Zafina
Fox McCloud: Baek, Dr. Boskonovitch, Hwoarang, Lee, Steve

(* I haven't personally confirmed these marked costumes, but have seen other sources list them.)

ToD_

Tekken Ball is hilarious. The music in particular is something else.

I haven't played it on the 360 or PS3, but the Wii U version looks great. It allows you to switch between gamepad or TV modes in the options (under display). By default it's set to TV mode, where you have touchscreen controls on the gamepad. Switching between the two also switches the sound output between devices.

I'm having a great time with this so far. I haven't tried the online mode yet, but there is a good amount of content for the offline portion. This will keep me occupied for a while.

Dragun619

So I'm pretty happy that I managed to grab a PS3 copy of Tekken Tag 2 at Walmart for $25 along with some other games. Haven't played it yet but I already feel that my 30 min wait in line was worth it to just get this game. Hah. Looking forward to losing online. :D

DEATH™

@dragun Good Luck and please enjoy the game first!

(yeah, enjoy it first, and learn one thing at a time... if you aim for winning immediately, you're in deep trouble...)

---------

Thank you Markman for the awesome Madcatz Deal. Bought the SCV stick just this morning and I can't really wait for it...

Now I hope there's a sale for Tekken Tag 2 Wii U for a gift... But darn there seemes nothing out there... Gotta wait till Cyber Monday...

Top Bottom