• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

Sayah

Well, there's a minor one near(ish) to you. Next Level Arcade will have an open house with tournaments for all the games this Saturday. Tekken I think starts at 7 PM. I'm trying to find the link on facebook but I can't find it...

BUT if you're really eager to go big... there's this:

http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=126203

After EVO and Final Round that tournament will probably have the biggest Tekken competition. But I do understand it'll be super hard for you if you don't have a car :(

Thanks for letting me know about that. Maybe things will change in the forseeable future and I'll be able to go. But as of now, I probably can't. :/

AAK

Haha, yeah, when I went to Toryuken.... none of the 2D guys were willing to offer me a ride... so in the end my only chance was to greyhound there (5 1/2 hour journey too).... And to make it to the tournament without risking getting there late, I'd had to leave at midnight from Ottawa and reach Toronto super early morning and then make it to the location....

I was just like YOLO I'm gonna sleep on the bus and get to Toronto, then go to a starbucks and do my homework until the venue opened only to get bodied! And since Virtua Fighter was on Sunday, I had to beg one of the other attendies there if I could crash in his hotel room to compete the next day... and man, Tekken crew pull through for you! He let me stay at a 5 star hoetel with him! But ah well... just me being fanatical :p

Your best bet is to get a rideshare and roomshare ;)

braves01

Banned
Any tips for learning Asuka? Best 8-10 moves, or useful combo strings? I've been working with Hei and Devil Jin for the most part, but I'd like to work another character into the mix.

Sayah

Haha, yeah, when I went to Toryuken.... none of the 2D guys were willing to offer me a ride... so in the end my only chance was to greyhound there (5 1/2 hour journey too).... And to make it to the tournament without risking getting there late, I'd had to leave at midnight from Ottawa and reach Toronto super early morning and then make it to the location....

I was just like YOLO I'm gonna sleep on the bus and get to Toronto, then go to a starbucks and do my homework until the venue opened only to get bodied! And since Virtua Fighter was on Sunday, I had to beg one of the other attendies there if I could crash in his hotel room to compete the next day... and man, Tekken crew pull through for you! He let me stay at a 5 star hoetel with him! But ah well... just me being fanatical :p

Your best bet is to get a rideshare and roomshare ;)

Driving wouldn't be a problem since I have a car. Staying overnight expenses will be, though. haha. Plus gas and stuff.

Really nice for someone to share a room with you. Riding a greyhound for 5 and 1/2 hours, though. That's commitment. When/if I'm ever rich after all this school business is over with, I'll be sure to be more active with this community. Maybe buy proper streaming software/hardware and even try to expand the scene in my local area.

Any tips for learning Asuka? Best 8-10 moves, or useful combo strings? I've been working with Hei and Devil Jin for the most part, but I'd like to work another character into the mix.

I think this is her basic combo. Not sure if I remember the correct inputs but yeah, try this.

1. f+2
2. u/f+3
3. 1,2
4. 1,2,1+2

Follow up with tag assault or end combo.

braves01

Banned
I think this is her basic combo. Not sure if I remember the correct inputs but yeah, try this.

1. f+2
2. u/f+3
3. 1,2
4. 1,2,1+2

Follow up with tag assault or end combo.

Thanks. I finally got my Wii U set up for online and I've been getting worked. Hopefully this helps somewhat, lol. I've got a long way to go.

Sayah

Thanks. I finally got my Wii U set up for online and I've been getting worked. Hopefully this helps somewhat, lol. I've got a long way to go.

Keep going at it, man. Asuka can put up really good pressure. Learn some of her combos and mixups. In case you don't already know, the command list in practice has sample combos at the very end if you need more combo examples. Try those out as well.

Devil Jin > Jin

Asuka > Jun

Is this pretty much the consensus, or entirely dependent on the time around them?

Devil Jin is usually S rank on tier lists. But I don't think it really matters in the grand scheme of things. Ultimately depends on how these characters are being played and how the player is using them. I would actually say Jin can create more pressure than Devil Jin. Jun can be very fierce too.

AAK

Asuka's a fairly simple yet extremely damaging character. She has one of the best moves in the game:

d+3+4, can-can kicks. It is a low-high move. The last hit is a launcher and is absolutely safe on block. If the first hit connects, the opponent is forced to block the high. Also, it crushes any lows coming from your opponent. The only way to beat it is to block the first kick or low parry it.

She also has f+2, that move is probably the best whiff punisher in the game when you factor in execution (EWGF and JFSR are technically better but have a strict execution barrier to it. It is launch punishable on block but you don't use if or those instances. It also has a huge hitbox and can hit most opponents even if they're grounded. You can also hold down to cancel it into a low or a grab which further improves its uses. Great move overall.

And of coarse, she's also one of the characters with a reversal counter with her b+2+4. It counters all mids and high attacks except for knees, elbows, heads, and certain aerial attacks. It's really hard to chicken, does solid damage, and can be tag buffered to bring in your partner at frame advantage.

She also has an amazing homing move that catches sidesteppers. f+4 is a 19 frame move that knocks down for some great okizeme afterward, BUT that's not the best part of that move... On BLOCK it's +1! That's right, if your opponent blocks that kick Asuka is at frame advantage. 90% of the players out there will try to press a button right after and you will get a free d/f+1,2 on CH I believe.

She also has SS+2 which is a really nice evasive mid attack.

Asuka's a really good character! I'll forever remember her because it was a King/Asuka player that beat me in Loser's Finals at Nemesis.

EDIT: I just fought Bronson online.... he was playing Kuni/Jinpachi. There was a bit too much lag :( I got a fraudulent lag-strings victory.

DEATH™

She also has an amazing homing move that catches sidesteppers. f+4 is a 19 frame move that knocks down for some great okizeme afterward, BUT that's not the best part of that move... On BLOCK it's +1! That's right, if your opponent blocks that kick Asuka is at frame advantage. 90% of the players out there will try to press a button right after and you will get a free d/f+1,2 on CH I believe.

------

Asuka's a really good character! I'll forever remember her because it was a King/Asuka player that beat me in Loser's Finals at Nemesis.

I thought the tag-buffered reversal only belongs to Jun right?

And yeah... Howling is awesome...

AAK

DEATH™;47162163 said:
I thought the tag-buffered reversal only belongs to Jun right?

And yeah... Howling is awesome...

Yeah, you're right my bad... I'm just so used to seeing Jun Asuka teams that I thought it was universal between them lol

Degen

Heeeeeell no I'm not going the whole way out to Vegas just to get mollywhopped at some video games lol

but if you had seen the expertise in this lobby...

edit: ggs AAK and Death

Degen

DEATH™;47188953 said:
GGs degen and AAK!

Now back to writing that lab report..
Arghh...

PS degen what do you mean? :p
Just hyping my top-tier Paul

he's come a long way since T6. He used to do nothing but deathfist; now he does nothing but deathfist with a cool beanie on his head

but man why am I so free to giant swing...

AAK

GG's guys..Before playing you guys I got double demoted so I was definitely a little burnt out by then haha. EDIT: not that I'm making any excuses :p

AAK

After that ass whoopin I've been getting in ranked recently I've been trying Anna some more. Man this is annoying, why do I keep missing her d+4,1 after her FC,d/f+2 everytime? I don't remember having any trouble with it in T6BR. Is there any trick I'm missing?

Sayah

After that ass whoopin I've been getting in ranked recently I've been trying Anna some more. Man this is annoying, why do I keep missing her d+4,1 after her FC,d/f+2 everytime? I don't remember having any trouble with it in T6BR. Is there any trick I'm missing?

You have to press d/f+4,1 instead of d+4,1. That's the trick. :p

Edit: Actually after you do crouching d/f+2 with Anna, keep d/f held (do not let go, lol) and do 4,1. It will never connect if you do just d+4,1. Weird how that works but yeah..........

AAK

OMG OMG OMG Anna does an automatic u/f+4 if your opponent does a low while you're in her Chaos b+3 stance!!! That is too awesome!! How did I never know about this??

OMG OMG OMG Anna does an automatic u/f+4 if your opponent does a low while you're in her Chaos b+3 stance!!! That is too awesome!! How did I never know about this??

She's had the auto-parry since T5, lol. It just did CAT 3 before she got u/f+4.

I should make use of it more, it's pretty cheap to use against low getup kicks.

Sayah

She does the same for any grabs. You have to time the judgment stance right when the opponent grabs and she auto-counters them. Yes, judgment stance is awesome.

AAK

Damn, that CAT stance is GOOD! I mean, the best thing about Hop kicks is for throwing them out when you fear a low coming. But with CAT stance you don't have the risk of getting punished since now your opponent will continue blocking out of fear of what mix up you do after the CAT stance. Amazing. And then of coarse her full crouch game is also pretty stellar. she's definitely a fun character. :)

DEATH™

Damn, that CAT stance is GOOD! I mean, the best thing about Hop kicks is for throwing them out when you fear a low coming. But with CAT stance you don't have the risk of getting punished since now your opponent will continue blocking out of fear of what mix up you do after the CAT stance. Amazing. And then of coarse her full crouch game is also pretty stellar. she's definitely a fun character. :)

The only "problem" with her CAT stance is everything on that thing is linear. But its not much of a problem if your opponent is scared, i.e. Sayah's Anna...

Dat anna...

Sayah

DEATH™;47201683 said:
The only "problem" with her CAT stance is everything on that thing is linear. But its not much of a problem if your opponent is scared, i.e. Sayah's Anna...

Dat anna...

I do need to improve her. Wish I could incorporate some of the stuff I saw with Mr. Taxi. His crouching d/f+2's come out of nowhere.

DEATH™

I do need to improve her. Wish I could incorporate some of the stuff I saw with Mr. Taxi. His crouching d/f+2's come out of nowhere.

It's easier if you play on stick. I cant use King's FC df+2 that much on a controller despite how strong it is... playing on stick makes your game infinitely better in the long run...

PS I'm considering buying the crown fanta stick and mod my Madcatz SCV stick along with the artwork I made but got less time due to school... darn...

Sayah

DEATH™;47202298 said:
It's easier if you play on stick. I cant use King's FC df+2 that much on a controller despite how strong it is... playing on stick makes your game infinitely better in the long run...

PS I'm considering buying the crown fanta stick and mod my Madcatz SCV stick along with the artwork I made but got less time due to school... darn...

Not sure how long it takes for a person to fully transition from pad to stick but I do want to play on stick.

DEATH™

Not sure how long it takes for a person to fully transition from pad to stick but I do want to play on stick.

It was a bit easier for me since I played in arcades years before and used analog as a pseudostick. Though even with that its still something you need to get used to. Its kinda like driving for the first time, its kinda confusing at first but when you get there, you cant go back...

AAK

Also, Anna's qcf+2,1 is a gold mine for Tag Assaults especially at the wall. If you get a tag assault at the wall, let you secondary character do their TA juggle, and to end, you can end with qcf+2,1 that has a low ground hitting property. But the best thing about it is that you can do qcf+2,1 from her CAT stance! So if you REALLY want to optimize that wall juggle you can end with iWS+3~b~d/f+2,1 for even more damage! :D OK, need to go to sleep...

It took me a VERY long time. I couldn't do anything when I first got my stick. I originally put the stick aside and started by transitioning from thumb to claw style on pad. Thankfully, it didn't take long (because I wasn't very good at the time). Once I grew accustomed to using my fingers, I moved on to the arcade stick.

I originally couldn't find anything any type of grip on the stick that worked for me. Honestly the type of seat I was in had the biggest impact on how well I could perform on a stick. If I sat on a couch after playing on a separate piped chair none of my desired inputs would come out. I just kept on playing mainly because I'm a weakling and my skin could no longer handle rubbing against the dpad and my pinky was getting incredibly numb because I mainly gripped the pad with that finger. In the end I got used to it.... but if you want the ultimate easy mode input device it's this:

N8_1024x1024.jpg

Look what this guy did in a few days what took me almost a year to grasp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bexraJGvDfM

But in all honesty, PAD is just as good as stick.

Ok, I guess I'll ask the question finally. With Nina, I see a few pros doing her d/f + 1 stance thing here she's moving really quick and is about to transition into another move such as an arm breaker or the rising 1,2,2. How do people do that then suddenly perform a slide qcf+3 or rising up + 3 kick out of nowhere for example? Not sure if I am explaining it correctly, but it's almost like they are canceling out her d/f+1 and going into another move entirely. When I try it, Nina simply does her upward chop.

Yeah, I love to abuse Anna's qcf+2,1 in combos or during battle. I finally got the hang of the somewhat awkward motion and it does great in combos or to annoy people.

I want to try some new characters/teams out online, but 98% of the people who play this game online range from professional to good. I need my best against most of these guys lol.

AAK

Ok, I guess I'll ask the question finally. With Nina, I see a few pros doing her d/f + 1 stance thing here she's moving really quick and is about to transition into another move such as an arm breaker or the rising 1,2,2. How do people do that then suddenly perform a slide qcf+3 or rising up + 3 kick out of nowhere for example? Not sure if I am explaining it correctly, but it's almost like they are canceling out her d/f+1 and going into another move entirely. When I try it, Nina simply does her upward chop.

I don't think it's d/f+1, it's her SS+1 that your mentioning. And yes, from SS+1 you can go do ~d/b to do her backsway motion or ~d/f to do her qcf motion. That's how she does the kick so fast, it's SS+1~d/f+3. Hope that helps :) And yes, it takes a while to master but it's a friggin great tool!

braves01

Banned
That all buttons pad is pretty crazy. I'd love to try it out. I'm in same boat about loving sticks but just not good at execution with them to hang in there during tough matches. That said, I'm still working on it so who knows maybe one day Ill be able to manage. I'm much better at 2P side than 1P which I hear is a fairly common issue due to the direction you have to move the stick with your wrist as opposed to fingers.

Sayah

Oh, it's not d/f+1. As AAK said, you have to sidestep and then press 1. After that, press forward to do her forward dash or back to do her backdash.

I really need to buy streaming/recording equipment so I can do a Nina/Anna tutorial for this sort of stuff. As far as I know there's nothing comprehensive for these two characters online as far as video guides go.

DEATH™;47202548 said:
It was a bit easier for me since I played in arcades years before and used analog as a pseudostick. Though even with that its still something you need to get used to. Its kinda like driving for the first time, its kinda confusing at first but when you get there, you cant go back...

It took me a VERY long time. I couldn't do anything when I first got my stick. I originally put the stick aside and started by transitioning from thumb to claw style on pad. Thankfully, it didn't take long (because I wasn't very good at the time). Once I grew accustomed to using my fingers, I moved on to the arcade stick.

I originally couldn't find anything any type of grip on the stick that worked for me. Honestly the type of seat I was in had the biggest impact on how well I could perform on a stick. If I sat on a couch after playing on a separate piped chair none of my desired inputs would come out. I just kept on playing mainly because I'm a weakling and my skin could no longer handle rubbing against the dpad and my pinky was getting incredibly numb because I mainly gripped the pad with that finger. In the end I got used to it.... but if you want the ultimate easy mode input device it's this:

N8_1024x1024.jpg

Look what this guy did in a few days what took me almost a year to grasp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bexraJGvDfM

But in all honesty, PAD is just as good as stick.

Oh wow, seems like quite the investment. Will stick with pad for now I guess. But thanks for info. AAK.

DEATH™

Oh wow, seems like quite the investment. Will stick with pad for now I guess. But thanks for info. AAK.

The Soul Calibur Madcatz stick is on sale now... The same thing I bought on Thanksgiving...
If it's a bit high for you, buy it still, It will help you motivate yourself to practice using it, as you want to make the most use of the thing you bought. (Kind of a weird way to motivate myself, but it works for me, especially now that I kinda have an idea how hard it is to earn money.)

It's not as cheap as it was on Thanksgiving (less than $10 I think) but it's still a pretty good deal.

http://store.gameshark.com/viewItem.asp?idProduct=5310&idCategory=430

Also, the fact that you can mod this to your liking is just as rewarding...

----------

Sir Markman, is the regular bezel in the madcatz store the same dimensions as the SCV one?

AAK

If you asked me a long time ago I would have recommended stick... but now the best players that I fought in person (OFDP, Potatobrain, NeoRussell) and the best players I see in tournament streams (Anakin, Incognito, JustFrameJames, KOR, Fighting GM, Fab) all use pad and WITHOUT button binding too. Even the guys at the European ultimate tournament stream were using the PS3 or PS2 dual shock controller. It just shows that the advantage stick gives is overall negligible at the grand scheme of things.

DEATH™

If you asked me a long time ago I would have recommended stick... but now the best players that I fought in person (OFDP, Potatobrain, NeoRussell) and the best players I see in tournament streams (Anakin, Incognito, JustFrameJames, KOR, Fighting GM, Fab) all use pad and WITHOUT button binding too. Even the guys at the European ultimate tournament stream were using the PS3 or PS2 dual shock controller. It just shows that the advantage stick gives is overall negligible at the grand scheme of things.

Yeah, but at the same time, when you go to see a arcade nearby, it's kinda hard to play if you're not used to it. I'm lucky that I grew up where arcades are still good (which sucks for you guys :p ). As a player skill, I might not matter much, but when you come to the point where you travel to far east (and I can see Sayah doing this), you want to play at the nearest TTT2 cab.

P.S. button binding is lame.

Let's do our multis the right way...

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Doesn't matter if you play on stick or pad. Just use what's most comfortable to you. :)

Pads are definitely more popular in US/EU due to our lack of proper arcade scenes. In Korea (Korean stick) and Japan (Japanese stick), the best part is if you want to use what someone uses, you can have access to it easily nowadays. ;)

I don't think it's d/f+1, it's her SS+1 that your mentioning. And yes, from SS+1 you can go do ~d/b to do her backsway motion or ~d/f to do her qcf motion. That's how she does the kick so fast, it's SS+1~d/f+3. Hope that helps :) And yes, it takes a while to master but it's a friggin great tool!

Thanks, I'll try that. :) I thought it was a SS involved, but I really couldn't tell from the people I saw executing it. I would love to add this to my arsenal of moves so I'll experiment with it.

Here is a visual/video of what I am talking about actually. Watch the purple Nina jump-kick during the stance at :49 seconds. I don't see it much from even great Nina players. I think I am getting closer with the execution at least.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcZYN4qIRNs

Top Bottom