• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

AAK

Interesting, I can log into Kadey's lobby today. Dunno why it wasn't working the other day?

BRB gonna get something to eat.

Also, Welcome to Neogaf ZTS, are any of you guys from upstate coming to Toryuken 2? OFDP coming to defend his title?

Sayah

Interesting, I can log into Kadey's lobby today. Dunno why it wasn't working the other day?

Also, Welcome to Neogaf ZTS, are any of you guys from upstate coming to Toryuken 2? OFDP coming to defend his title?

Probably b/c I was in the lobby that time. I'm having the firewall taken off over the weekend. I should be able to join even your lobbies after that. Good things are a 'comin.

ZTS

Banned

I want to but I need to get an advanced driver's license to cross the boarder. Working on it. Toronto and Upstate used to rock tournaments all the time back in DR. Lawrence, Barry, Mihur(RIP), Dave and all the others. Do any of the old heads still play?

AAK

I've only started travelling for Tekken with the release of Tag 2. When I visited Toronto, the big dogs there are Russell, Raymond, and a guy whose name I forgot, his handle was Dark Death.

EDIT: DId you invite this tony_pham guy into the lobby Kadey?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Yeah that Tony guy is good. Seems to appear a lot when I have lobbies. I like watching super high level purely offensive Tekken like that.

I can get a lobby going tomorrow night.

DEATH™

Some random musings...

I just want to say AAK and Sayah, please enjoy every tourney and every game you guys play. I am seriously jealous of you talents, and just having a opportunity to fully enjoy this game at a high level...

Degen, I'll figure out the ogre matchup someday... that probably means a couple of months.

Watching my sister play was trolltastic.

And sorry guys if I ended up playing crap.

AAK

Thanks for the compliments death... but just a slight disclaimer: I'm not talented LOL. I always thought I was, but I have to admit I'm not. The ONLY game I'm somewhat good at is Tekken. And that is because I had to become a practice mode monster. I played Tekken 6 for quite a while thinking I could prosper with just the feel of the game and it really honestly didn't take me anywhere worthwhile. Once Tag 2 came out I went into complete grind mode in practice mode and a youtube monster. I've probably spent at least 1,500 hours of my life playing or watching this series. I had to learn every other character's frames (as much as I could) and practice my execution for hours on end (hence my 50% consistency with JFSR/OTGF). I'm only this good because I put in MAD hours into this game... but it was so worth it!

And if you wanna compare Sayah and me... I've been playing SF4 since I got my ps3 in 09, he got SF4 in 2012 and within 4 months he started rolling me up in that game. In SFxT we both got that game at the same time and he ended up racking 5000+ BP using Nina/Heihachi where the SF cast were 10x better while I was still stuck at 800 BP lol. Only other game I somewhat played well in was VF5FS for he few months I grinded in that... but that's because I abused the hell out of flipkicks. :p

Think I've found the perfect partner for Feng in Leo. I remember giving her a try last year and thinking her combos/wall carry was impossible. Now I can do them with ease. So at least my execution has improved a lot. Maybe I'll be able to do electrics consistently one day.

Thanks for the compliments death... but just a slight disclaimer: I'm not talented LOL. I always thought I was, but I have to admit I'm not. The ONLY game I'm somewhat good at is Tekken. And that is because I had to become a practice mode monster. I played Tekken 6 for quite a while thinking I could prosper with just the feel of the game and it really honestly didn't take me anywhere worthwhile. Once Tag 2 came out I went into complete grind mode in practice mode and a youtube monster. I've probably spent at least 1,500 hours of my life playing or watching this series. I had to learn every other character's frames (as much as I could) and practice my execution for hours on end (hence my 50% consistency with JFSR/OTGF). I'm only this good because I put in MAD hours into this game... but it was so worth it!

I've been playing since Tekken 2 but it wasn't until TTT2 that I started taking it seriously. I never used pokes or bothered to learn any mixups or setups. I just did the moves I thought looked coolest :lol But now that online play is viable and the competition there is so strong, I just want so badly to be good at this game. 45% win rate says I've got a long way to go. :(

Think I've found the perfect partner for Feng in Leo. I remember giving her a try last year and thinking her combos/wall carry was impossible. Now I can do them with ease. So at least my execution has improved a lot. Maybe I'll be able to do electrics consistently one day.

I've been playing since Tekken 2 but it wasn't until TTT2 that I started taking it seriously. I never used pokes or bothered to learn any mixups or setups. I just did the moves I thought looked coolest :lol But now that online play is viable and the competition there is so strong, I just want so badly to be good at this game. 45% win rate says I've got a long way to go. :(

A 45% win rate is pretty decent I think. Some of the best players I fought online and in my friends list are in the high 40 to low 50% percent ratio and they are very formidable. I wouldn't worry about it. Honestly, I didn't get serious about Tekken until Tekken 6 later in it's life and then I stopped playing for an entire year again. I own and played them all, but just played them casually and not even really study lengthy combos, mix ups and all of that technical stuff. Yeah, the competition in TTT2 is perturbingly strong. I don't think I've ever seen a fighting game with so many dedicated and spectacular players in such a short period of time. It can definitely get intimidating at times. Will probably be scary in a year or two. Playing DOA5 and TTT2 at the same time can make things confusing at times also for me. What I want to work on is learning some other characters efficiently, but I just need patience due to all of the good players online and time to do that. Also, I have no humans to play, so for me, it's computer on ultra hard or online. Keep at it.

A 45% win rate is pretty decent I think. Some of the best players I fought online and in my friends list are in the high 40 to low 50% percent ratio and they are very formidable. I wouldn't worry about it. Honestly, I didn't get serious about Tekken until Tekken 6 later in it's life and then I stopped playing for an entire year again. I own and played them all, but just played them casually and not even really study lengthy combos, mix ups and all of that technical stuff. Yeah, the competition in TTT2 is perturbingly strong. I don't think I've ever seen a fighting game with so many dedicated and spectacular players in such a short period of time. It can definitely get intimidating at times. Will probably be scary in a year or two. Playing DOA5 and TTT2 at the same time can make things confusing at times also for me. What I want to work on is learning some other characters efficiently, but I just need patience due to all of the good players online and time to do that. Also, I have no humans to play, so for me, it's computer on ultra hard or online. Keep at it.

I need humans to practice with too. There's too much pressure online and little room for experimentation. The AI will dodge all lows and throws and is predictable as hell, which is the polar opposite of playing a real person. So that's no good either.

Aris' Feng tutorial has been a godsend, though. So comprehensive. I wish there was more stuff like this.

I wish I had the kind of time you have to dedicate to it. I'm trying to now but it is going veeeery slowly and I'm frankly still embarrassed to try to go online. Youtube vids and practice mode are helping though.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Going to disappear for a few hours but I'll be back to stream later tonight. Same time, around 10 eastern give or take.

Degen

gotta say, Ancient Ogre isn't half as bad as I thought he was

his move set makes him pretty awkward to use though IMO

AAK

I wish I had the kind of time you have to dedicate to it. I'm trying to now but it is going veeeery slowly and I'm frankly still embarrassed to try to go online. Youtube vids and practice mode are helping though.

It's more important to practice smart than to grind like I did. You don't need execution heavy characters to have fun in this game. Here is the post I made before:

Ghost battle will make you worse. It's good for killing time and getting unlockable outfits. Maybe it has a use for practicing combo's in a match, but in the end, I feel that you learn more about how to abuse the AI in ghost battle mode than actually learn Tekken. When you fight a legitimate human being, the game flows drastically differently.

Go into practice mode, learn some core moves and simple juggles to get the hang of the game. Then go online and test what you know.

If you lose, go into the replay data and watch the match you lost in. Notice what moves your opponent used on you to win.

Go back into practice mode and learn how to beat that. Boom, your knowledge increased and you've levelled up. Rinse and repeat until you become a Tekken God ;)

Your execution will automatically improve with as many games you play, but the key thing is to always find out what you're doing wrong and fix it. That's the key. Don't let the bad habits consume you.

Also, nominate Harada for sainthood! How much can one man tolerate and maintain his sanity!

DEATH™

I don't want to step on harada's shoes. I'm already getting insanely stressed at some things at TZ, which is pretty miniscule. I don't know if I can handle more in more constant ways.

AAK

^^
Lars and Leo, they're both like the blank blocks in scrabble. They can be used to fill the vacuum of tools missing in your current character. And they're also super easy to use... but in reality you can make pretty much any team work in this game. If you're on PSN I can run you through some things in the online practice mode if you'd like.

DR2K

Banned
^^
Lars and Leo, they're both like the blank blocks in scrabble. They can be used to fill the vacuum of tools missing in your current character. And they're also super easy to use... but in reality you can make pretty much any team work in this game. If you're on PSN I can run you through some things in the online practice mode if you'd like.

Sweet, don't have TTT2 now. Ordered it from Newegg today. Just trying to get my home work in.

I need humans to practice with too. There's too much pressure online and little room for experimentation. The AI will dodge all lows and throws and is predictable as hell, which is the polar opposite of playing a real person. So that's no good either.

Aris' Feng tutorial has been a godsend, though. So comprehensive. I wish there was more stuff like this.

Yeah, I agree with you. I think playing more human opponents would help me improve further. Shame no one I know near me is into fighters and only care about casual games like Call of Duty and Madden. Playing the computer on Ultra Hard will only take you so far and online can be brutal when you are trying experiment or deviate from your normal tactics. I probably did pick up some unfortunate habits by playing the computer so much lol. Then again, I never had a human opponent to play in Tekken 6 either on a regular basis.

I think I really pissed some guy off with Feng's backturn shenanigans today. He cancelled every subsequent match. :lol

I'm not scared like I used to be. When I lose to someone now I'm excited for a rematch so I can figure out how to beat them. This game really needs a rematch option after fights, btw.

Has Ogre changed much from Tekken Tag 1? I haven't had a chance to mess around with him yet (referring to Ancient Ogre, as the other guy's still True Ogre to me.)

AAK

Has Ogre changed much from Tekken Tag 1? I haven't had a chance to mess around with him yet (referring to Ancient Ogre, as the other guy's still True Ogre to me.)

The difference between TTT2 Ogre and T. Ogre from Tag 1 is like the difference between Tag1 and Tag 2 Jun. i.e. They're pretty much brand new characters.

DR2K

Banned
DEATH™;47865670 said:
My guess is:

TxSF
SSB4
Tekken Card Challenge
Project X Zone (localization) or TTT2 PSVita (I hope)

there is no way it's gonna be T7.

Tekken 7 could easily be in development now, since it's going to be on next gen hardware most likely.

DR2K

Banned
DEATH™;47867031 said:
They repeatedly say they don't, makes sense since they need all the feedback they can get from TxSF first.

Doesn't mean they can't start working on assets, engine, hardware, etc. . . gameplay changes generally from feedback are usually the last things added, and continually updated.

DEATH™

I can imagine Tekken 7 being in the conceptual stages. Same for SCVI.

I really hope SC6 will be a T5 of some sorts where regular movesets are back and previous characters that got axed are back. SC5 just show why deleting characters in general just for the sake of it are bad.

And T7 will probably have around the same if not less characters than TTT2 because of clone characters being gone. Though I hope Forest, Miharu, P. Jack and Alex stays (with revamped movesets). Unknown can be a transformation of Jun ala Kaz-Devil, Slim Bob can be a palette swap and Sebastian & Tiger can rest in peace (though Tiger can be a pallete swap for Eddy and it won't matter much). That will still be alot of space left.

LOL just came across FlyingWonkey for the first time (I was the Feng/Leo player who had no idea what he was doing). Got beat pretty badly but I did manage to duck an ewgf, so that was nice. :p And fix your connection!

ZTS

Banned
DEATH™;47867976 said:
I really hope SC6 will be a T5 of some sorts where regular movesets are back and previous characters that got axed are back. SC5 just show why deleting characters in general just for the sake of it are bad.

And T7 will probably have around the same if not less characters than TTT2 because of clone characters being gone. Though I hope Forest, Miharu, P. Jack and Alex stays (with revamped movesets). Unknown can be a transformation of Jun ala Kaz-Devil, Slim Bob can be a palette swap and Sebastian & Tiger can rest in peace (though Tiger can be a pallete swap for Eddy and it won't matter much). That will still be alot of space left.

Tekken 7 will have far far far less characters than Tag 2 and will be drastically different than any other Tekken game you have played. Tag 2 is basically a send off that style of Tekken play. Tekken 7 is basically going to be a franchise reboot like SC5 was. People just can't wrap their head around Tekken anymore and Harada knows this. Console sales of Tag 2 being far worse than anticipated proved this. The general population is losing interest.

What essentially is hurting Tekken is knowledge of how to play the game correctly. Tekken has always been Tekken but to the general consumer newer Tekken's suck, they are all about Juggling and stuff. The game was always like that but because of the lack of online play and the lack of high level videos. Everyone thought the way they played with their friends was right. As the internet age came around, youtube, videos, and online play, people actually got exposed to good players who beat their ass but instead of assuming they had been playing the game wrong the whole time, they thought that Tekken had changed and they didn't like it anymore.

TxSF will be the first step in this simplification process that will change Tekken forever. Please, enjoy Tag 2 while it lasts for it probably will be the last True Tekken ever made.

Top Bottom