• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

GrayFoxPL

Tekken SERIOUSLY needs a break. Let TTT2 last at least 4-5 years before getting another sequel. TTT2 is only 5 months old and we're already salivating another sequel.

I DON'T want a reveal at all this year honestly. Enjoy TTT2 people, and let Namco take their time with whatever they're doing next. I mean, AT LEAST let Namco announce the Arcade update with the console exclusives first.

I don't think TxS is a Tekken sequel in conventional sense. Harada said long time ago that Street Fighter character/moves didn't work on current Tekken engine and they'll have to develop something new. This could be very different game gameplay wise.

TTT2 is almost 1,5 year old, only the port is new.

I don't expect a new Tekken sequel but I don't consider TxSF to be the T7 or something.

I mean guys TxSF was announced so long ago that we got then unannounced TTT2 faster. What that says about a development of a game when other maybe "bigger" game comes out way before the previous even got any footage.

mr_boo

Yeah, you can. You can also try sidestepping her too.
Also, keep in mind AOP, d can go under some hopkicks.

I don't think TxS is a Tekken sequel in conventional sense. Harada said long time ago that Street Fighter character/moves didn't work on current Tekken engine and they'll have to develop something new. This could be very different game gameplay wise.
I have faith in Harada, so I have very high hopes.

I need that online rank trophy and purchase all moves in that combot mode. Too bad I suck and don't feel like learning strats against human opponents for the former =/. MP trophies.....

Sayah

Tekken SERIOUSLY needs a break. Let TTT2 last at least 4-5 years before getting another sequel. TTT2 is only 5 months old and we're already salivating another sequel.

I DON'T want a reveal at all this year honestly. Enjoy TTT2 people, and let Namco take their time with whatever they're doing next. I mean, AT LEAST let Namco announce the Arcade update with the console exclusives first.

The only problem is that TKXSF was announced in 2010 and they've had fans waiting in anticipation for almost three years now. I wouldn't consider it a proper sequel in the Tekken series either. Especially if the engine will most likely be brand new and the game won't resemble contemporary Tekken. It's not going to be like a switch from T6 to TTT2. I would imagine the changes to be far more significant.

DEATH™

The only problem is that TKXSF was announced in 2010 and they've had fans waiting in anticipation for almost three years now. I wouldn't consider it a proper sequel in the Tekken series either. Especially if the engine will most likely be brand new and the game won't resemble contemporary Tekken. It's not going to be like a switch from T6 to TTT2. I would imagine the changes to be far more significant.

They are always in top secret mode before when they develop something... Namco is tight about leaks...

And I somehow expect TxSF to be a 6 button SF style game... the game will be made to appeal SF players to play tekken in particular...

PS hopkicks aint reliable against AOP... I tried countless times just for me to eat a punish. The thing got an iffy hitbox. What usually hits are really solid mids that at least hit grounded.

I need that online rank trophy and purchase all moves in that combot mode. Too bad I suck and don't feel like learning strats against human opponents for the former =/. MP trophies.....

You mean the trophy to get to 1st dan in ranked? I don't think you need to win a single game to get to 1st kyu, and once there you only have to win 2-3 times to get to 1st dan, it's pretty easy to do.

AAK

I'll be lying to you guys if I told you I didn't believe txsf will replace ttt2. There will be a lot of people playing the new game over ttt2 and online activity will drop. I do fear this. If they do reveal txsf this year, then the release date will surely be around 2014, only 2 years after ttt2’s console release date, that does honestly split the community. At least sfxt got 3 years between its console release and sf4 (4 years if you count the arcade version). This is honestly how I feel about it.

Pick solo Dragunov, mix up between b+4,2,1 ; grabs ; db+3 ; df+1,3 ; b+2,1,3. If they are against the wall, b+1+2 till it works, if they are on the ground d+3+4 till you get the trophy. Most people at that level don't know how to counter it.

Or just pick Dr. B and butt slide all day :p

joeblow

Yeah, you can.
It's not always a simple thing to try and hop kick Ling from AoP. This is because a lot of her opponents may not realize that her standard AoP transition (d+1+2) has a built-in sidestep to her right.

So it simultaneously goes under and around a lot of moves. If your hop kick (of any other linear mid) whiffs against AoP, it's likely because she auto-stepped it, not crushed under it.

With that said, it does get low enough to go under some mids, and the hit box of the stance causes short ranged moves like generic d+1s to sometimes miss.

Sayah

I just use Nina's u/f+3 against Xiaoyu/Miharu's art of phoenix. Usually works I think.
I'll be lying to you guys if I told you I didn't believe txsf will replace ttt2. There will be a lot of people playing the new game over ttt2 and online activity will drop. I do fear this. If they do reveal txsf this year, then the release date will surely be around 2014, only 2 years after ttt2’s console release date, that does honestly split the community. At least sfxt got 3 years between its console release and sf4 (4 years if you count the arcade version). This is honestly how I feel about it.

I wouldn't be as concerned about online activity dropping for TTT2. T6 was able to maintain an active online presence for three years despite crappy netcode. It might still be active actually. I just haven't played T6 since TTT2 released. The ranking battles can be quite addictive in Tekken and it keeps people coming back for more.

But as far as the tournament area goes, I can see TKXSF possibly replacing TTT2 at EVO for their token 3D fighter. It kind of would be annoying if that did happen. Though, I think VF5FS, SCV and TTT2 all deserved to be at EVO this year on the main stage but apparently there's only space for 1-2 3D fighters. Kind of sucks. Namco probably doesn't put in as much money as Capcom.

DEATH™

Guys, you know what, just enjoy the game. What I realized in life is things come and go. I don't know what's gonna happen next time or next year, but what I know is I'm enjoying the game right now. You never know, maybe TxSF and TTT2 play out in the same tourney like TTT1/T4 was. Or maybe TTT2 booms up when PS3s get cheap. You'll never know. Don't worry too much guys.

-------

Hey Degen... I found and awesome tech with King and AK. I dunno if it's old for you but it's pretty awesome. You know Changs can input qcb F+2 for their go-to throws? King and AK can do their tombstone with qcb F+2+4 and ITS FULLY BUFFERABLE!!! SICK!!!

I kinda need to incorporate it in my game though... Even with raw damage being less, I still love King GS2 for its oki...

---------

EDIT Sayah I think 3D games need their own tourney that doesn't include and 2D games. I'm serious.

And reading the FGC thread, darn drama...

EDIT2

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSZAL8D_uLc

translate please

(FLYING BARAKA WHERE YOU GET THIS?)

Deps

Woah woah woah, you can buffer that throw? Thats sick, I also play AK so will be useful. And when PS3's drop in price im in there with PS3 TTT2. I love the godlike xbox connections but need more competition.

Sayah

^^^^
Death, If people are trying to consolidate all these different communities together as "one fighting game community" and are serious about it, then fans of 3D fighters shouldn't feel the need to have a separate tournament. Smash Bros. also needs to be considered part of the fighting game community. But there are people that hold attitudes that prevent these things from happening. Last year was the biggest year for 3D fighters with SCV, FS, DoA5 and TTT2 all releasing yet only one of these games is being featured at EVO. Eh. I don't wanna sound all sour either but those games deserve more representation

Woah woah woah, you can buffer that throw? Thats sick, I also play AK so will be useful. And when PS3's drop in price im in there with PS3 TTT2. I love the godlike xbox connections but need more competition.

Yeah, PS3 competition is crazy.

DEATH™

^^^^
Death, If people are trying to consolidate all these different communities together as "one fighting game community" and are serious about it, then fans of 3D fighters shouldn't feel the need to have a separate tournament. Smash Bros. also needs to be considered part of the fighting game community. But there are people that hold attitudes that prevent these things from happening. Last year was the biggest year for 3D fighters with SCV, FS, DoA5 and TTT2 all releasing yet only one of these games is being featured at EVO. Eh. I don't wanna sound all sour either but those games deserve more representation

Yeah, PS3 competition is crazy.

Im not saying we should separate ourselves. But at the same time we arent getting enough respect and accomodated as fighting games. Its like 3D games are always put aside on a 2D fighting tourney and we are trying to squeeze ourselves trying to be along. Look, TTT2 barely got stream time at winter brawl and when it shows up, ignorant 2D players complain. Its like we are there because we just have to. We cant establish ourselves that way.

We're not gonna gain respect trying to squeeze in. We should be establishing ourselves.

Sayah

Yeah, I think I mentioned this before. We could do without the snobby attitudes. These dudes had marvel on main stream for the longest time and start moaning as soon as something else comes on. I'm not even trying to be mean or anything but that's just the way it is. It goes without saying that I play and love Marvel myself and the community here for that game is pretty good. But a lot of the games fanbase needs to go grow up and abandon the snarky attitude. It's not very welcoming or pleasant and it certainly isn't anyway to consolidate the so-called FGC.

mr_boo

AAK just beat me 3 times in a row in ranked.
You guys are crazy heavy weights....

DEATH™ said:
Im not saying we should separate ourselves. But at the same time we arent getting enough respect and accomodated as fighting games. Its like 3D games are always put aside on a 2D fighting tourney and we are trying to squeeze ourselves trying to be along. Look, TTT2 barely got stream time at winter brawl and when it shows up, ignorant 2D players complain. Its like we are there because we just have to. We cant establish ourselves that way.

We're not gonna gain respect trying to squeeze in. We should be establishing ourselves.
Death, I've always thought this was all driven on game popularity, which is a function of sales & sponsors ($$$) and how large a specific community (e.g., MvC) is. In other words, I don't think it has anything to due with 2D vs 3D. For example, I recall way back in the day that the KoF wasn't really gettin any love either, and it was only till KoF13 came round which brought KOF back to EVO.

DEATH™

Death, I've always thought this was all driven on game popularity, which is a function of sales & sponsors ($$$) and how large a specific community (e.g., MvC) is. In other words, I don't think it has anything to due with 2D vs 3D. For example, I recall way back in the day that the KoF wasn't really gettin any love either, and it was only till KoF13 came round which brought KOF back to EVO.

Yeah thats why Im saying we need a separate tourney to establish ourselves. We wont have any chance of shining in a tourney that doesnt want us anyway. We cant get any kind of sales and sponsors if we cant even get stream time and we aint gonna grow as tekken community if we are only considered side tourneys for other tourneys. Look, APEX and Genesis established themselves as a Smash centric tourney, yes other games can come in, but the fanbases of those other games got no right to complain since the tourney itself was centered to smash. And not only that, it also proved that smash can get numbers. It helps that its advertised as a smash tourney and a player can come in without worrying that only 8 players will come.

What Im saying here is we need a Tekken/3D centric tourney. KiT and Final round works. But we need more...

And EVO dont count...

Sayah

^
I agree with that Death. I probably misunderstood before. Tekken does need a tourney in the U.S. at the level of Master Cup (500 entrants or more) and w/out the crappy streaming quality.

Sayah

It's not specifically 2D vs 3D. But we all know EVO is 2D-centric. TTT2 will be the only 3D fighter out of the eight games this year. I would much rather have had SCV and VF5FS over either of P4A, SFXTK and Mortal Kombat.

AAK

AAK just beat me 3 times in a row in ranked.

That second match was super lucky for me... I mean how often does anyone interrupt Nina's reverse Ivory cutter? If my attack came out any frame different it would have been death for me :p

Also, Final Round is no longer a Tekken tourney, the 2D games overtook it. The same thing happened in Toronto. When Tekken 6 arcade hit, NeoRussell over here was holding tournaments for that game advertised for the main stage and held side tournaments for SF4. The side tournaments had 2-3x more people comming and gradually Tekken became the side tourney for SF4.

The only way to get more recognition is to get more people to play, and unfortunately if you want people in the stream to accept it, you need drama. The drama will only come from big named Rockstar clebreties that play. The only people currently within Tekken's competitive circuit that have this name are Aris, Ryan Hart, Tokido, and Gamerbee. Unfortunately there is no one else out there when there should be. Ricky Ortiz started as a Tekken 3 - Tekken Tag 1 star who now migrated to the SF side. He even got top 4 at a norcal tournament in T6BR tournament once, but the only time I've ever seen touch TTT2 was at Canadacup playing double Jacks. Justin Wong who is a former Evo top 4 placer in T5 also dropped the game after Toryuken. From what I heard PR Balrog, Fubarduck, Jago, Viscant among others were also among tournament competitors back in the DR days. The reason they dropped out I suppose is because there's too much of a knowledge gap from when they were playing and the present.

As far as a Tekken centric tournament, there was Tekken Arena in Texas. And hopefully Bronson will organize another Strong Style this year hopefully.

DEATH™

If what the game needs is drama to be popular, then that speaks on how stupid and childish the FGC can be...

I rather have St. George, USMCOgre, MMT, Anakin and others whose straight forward, just plain enjoy the game and understand life, than kids that imitate Degrassi.

AAK

There honestly was a CRAZY amount of drama in the old days. Back in the heyday there were a lot of rockstars within the community like Slips, Shin, JOP, Tomhilfiger, QDogg, Insanelee, USMCOgre. All of those guys (from looking at the TZ archives) were competitive beyond measure, and along with the competition, they were racist, brutal, and loved to shit-talk. This is the extent to how they used to pick on new players:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5x2n8fljAA

Here's an example of how much Bronson would pop-off but in tournament like 10x worse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gwo5_YqOpbA

And what people would do to him when they couldn't take anymore his verbal abuse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJJAqvNI2t0

Here is Shin/Slips duo going in on Unconkable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtBWYfPDka0

There was hella drama way back then, and if they were doing wthat they did back then in today's stream culture Tekken would have a much more popularity in the streams.

DEATH™

I thought you're talking about drama like the fgc drama right now, like switching sponsors, cbackstabbing and such. Tekken drama is competitive drama, its not even drama, its ACTION bro. Its how men should compete... its still the same way right now methinks, but yet thats why other communities think we are d*cks..

Another reason we cantmreally shine at 2D tourneys...

DEATH™;48360706 said:
EDIT2

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSZAL8D_uLc

translate please

(FLYING BARAKA WHERE YOU GET THIS?)

Got it from Bancho's nico stream but I wouldn't worry too much about it lol.

They were doing a little livestream where they just talk to the people in the chat while they were in a hotel in Taiwan. They were also announcing prize winners to people that entered the little Twitter competition they were doing over there and Harada showed up to show off one of the prizes (artbook). I imagine the rest of the talk is just idle chatter.

There honestly was a CRAZY amount of drama in the old days. Back in the heyday there were a lot of rockstars within the community like Slips, Shin, JOP, Tomhilfiger, QDogg, Insanelee, USMCOgre. All of those guys (from looking at the TZ archives) were competitive beyond measure, and along with the competition, they were racist, brutal, and loved to shit-talk. This is the extent to how they used to pick on new players:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5x2n8fljAA

Here's an example of how much Bronson would pop-off but in tournament like 10x worse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gwo5_YqOpbA

And what people would do to him when they couldn't take anymore his verbal abuse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJJAqvNI2t0

Here is Shin/Slips duo going in on Unconkable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtBWYfPDka0

There was hella drama way back then, and if they were doing wthat they did back then in today's stream culture Tekken would have a much more popularity in the streams.
Oh man the legendary game is trash vid lol, truly a classic. Those vids are also reminding me how good the T5 stages and Nina's 2P outfit were. Need some those to come back for TxSF.

Also, Devastator, I think your Shinobu costume would be perfect for Christie.

Christie does work well as Shinbou, thanks. Her frilly skirt is prefect witth the stockings and heels. If only we could have neck items like VF5FS then I could put a sacrf on her and she'd be set.

DEATH™

Devastator, can you make Christie into this?
Yoruichi0zd.jpg

Oh man the legendary game is trash vid lol, truly a classic. Those vids are also reminding me how good the T5 stages and Nina's 2P outfit were. Need some those to come back for TxSF.

A lot the 2p outfits for the Tekken 5 series were rad. Anna's business suit, Jin's hoodie, Bryan's snakeskin pants...so good.

I remember all the "__ of America" nonsense at TZ, too.

MikeMyers

I joined TZ back in T5 era - 2005.

Wait Devastator takes requests? I was trying to get a few customizations down, but it just came out odd looking haha.

I actually think 2 to 3 years is good for legitimate sequels to Tekken. The waits seem forever already for Tekken games and 4 to 5 years could be too long imo. I still wonder if TXSF is still coming out. It seems like the game is still in the planning phases considering it was annoucned in 2010. Maybe they do not want to take attention away from TTT2 or something.

Sometimes I wonder if the online pass required for TTT2 and even DOA5 is the reason the communities don't seem as active as before. Yeah, I know it sounds crazy, but anyone who tries out TTT2 used or as a rental might or might not want to pay $10 for an online pass therefore skipping the online experience meaning less players online. Just a thought that crossed my mind the other day.

I don't really keep up much with professional tournaments unfortunately and I always thought Tekken received respect from the fighting game community. Smash Bros is actually at professional tournaments? Is the game deep? It always seemed like a very basic/simple and casual fighting game to me and I never thought it would be tournament worthy. If Smash is getting more attention than TTT2, then that is depressing.

DEATH™

I actually think 2 to 3 years is good for legitimate sequels to Tekken. The waits seem forever already for Tekken games and 4 to 5 years could be too long imo. I still wonder if TXSF is still coming out. It seems like the game is still in the planning phases considering it was annoucned in 2010. maybe they do not want to take attention away from TTT2 or something.

I don't really keep up much with professional tournaments unfortunately and I always thought Tekken received respect from the fighting game community. Smash Bros is actually at professional tournaments? Is the game deep? It always seemed like a very basic/simple and casual fighting game to me and I never thought it would be tournament worthy. If Smash is getting more attention than TTT2, then that is depressing.

Melee is the more competitive of all smash games. Brawl got random tripping that made it bad competitive wise. Anddont worry about smash...

Im worried more about Tekken not getting respect among "FGC", and when I say FGC, i mean capcom fighter players...

TBH, the whole tekken community is not worried. Most people around the world dont even know what EVO is. Its just America in general...

DEATH™;48393948 said:
Devastator, can you make Christie into this?
Christie doesnt really have the best tools to look like Yoruichi. This is best I could come up with up. Too bad you can't change the default hairstytle color. Sorry for the crappy pic, currently on an sdtv.

CFhug7I.jpg

A lot the 2p outfits for the Tekken 5 series were rad. Anna's business suit, Jin's hoodie, Bryan's snakeskin pants...so good.

I remember all the "__ of America" nonsense at TZ, too.
Yeah and lets not forget the awesome 3P outfits of Asuka, Lee, Law, Bruce etc. Hopefully they get back to legit 2P costumes in future Tekken games
I joined TZ back in T5 era - 2005.

Wait Devastator takes requests? I was trying to get a few customizations down, but it just came out odd looking haha.

No one's actually ever asked me to do something till death just now. I whipped the Yoruchi up real quick cause it seemed simple enough.

Sayah

Smash is pretty competitive. On the surface, it might seem very simple but it's not. And Smash isn't exactly getting more "respect" or attention. The melee players had to raise about $90,000 for breast cancer to get their game to be accepted into the EVO lineup. And there's still enough people in FGC that think Smash is for kids. The whole time people were making jokes/trolling the melee community about using their lunch money for the donations.

AAK

Rip REALLY doesn't know the Anna matchup. He's not ducking when he should and he's trying punish things that are safe and not punishing or interrupting the strings where he can.

Top Bottom