• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Yeah. It's just for fun. I need more processing power to make the most of it. It requires a lot of CPU power to get it to my normal stream quality.

Good games like always guys. I am trying out some new characters now to add a little diversity. That's probably crazy against all of you pros, but hey I guess I got to start somewhere.

Madworld Tekken was pretty cool. I thought about the same thing actually, especially after finishing Anarchy Reigns recently. I thought it was something going on with my computer.

Hey, I know that it's all kinda pros in this thread. But I've just picked this up as my first Tekken game (was posting a few pages back) and I gotta share some noob impressions after getting my first 30 or so matches in over the last week or two. Also pretty much my first 3D fighter aside from mucking around with Final Showdown a little bit.

First off, all the usual things that seem scary coming from 2D fighting are way less of an issue than I had expected, as follows:

1. The huge move list - Sure the move list is huge, and the pros obviously have to know it all. But to start playing you don't need to know close to all of it. It's totally viable to start out at the beginner stage and just know a few good pokes and a couple of basic strings / combos for two characters. Then over time you can dig deeper into the movelist to fill out holes in your game or to add more and move mixup options. What seems intimidating at first is actually a cool little way to have a solid progression with getting to know a character and their options and in finding a style for you that fits how you want to play that character.
  2. All the options for throws and movement - This also seems intimidating to learn, tons of ways to move, throw, dodge and all that. But the button configuration and control scheme really helps with that, it's all really quite intuitive. See a left throw coming? Break with your left hand. Side steps and wakeup rolling all comes naturally. Combos often make sense physically with left and right punches and kicks alternating, I can often recall the correct sequence for a string just by recalling what it looks like visually. Really that funky backdash cancel stuff which I really can't do at all seems to be the only really odd bit to me. It's complex but intuitive, which is just what you want for a competitive fighter.
  3. Frame data - Every game has it, but with the massive movelists of 3D fighters it seems like a big deal to learn. While the pros have to know it all, at the rookie level that I play at the animations in Tekken really help out with this. In Street Fighter if you block a big attack you really have no clue about advantage / disadvantage or any idea how much hitstun you have to play with on a successful hit. In Tekken you might not know the exact +/- frames, but if you block and attack and see your character stagger back to recover off the block you know is probably not the right time to counter attack as you are probably at disadvantage from the heavy blow. Or if you get a counter hit and you seem some type of crumple happening you know that you have advantage time to get in there with a big launch combo.
Other things that I think are great:

1. Netcode is sparkling. Noticed a bit of chug in two three bar matches. Everything 4 and 5 bars felt pristine.
  2. It's really solid as an SP game. Could use a bit of improvement in this category, but it's really not bad. Has a robust enough story mode, and a good practice mode. Plus with the massive cast you can occupy yourself for quite a while just putzing around in story mode. I don't always need the stress of online competition, so it's nice to have some good modes to play around with solo.
  3. The gameplay at the casual level is super dynamic mid-match, which I love. This is mostly due to the big movelist, and visual frame data indicators that I mentioned above, as well as the huge cast. With all those characters and options chances are you are going to get hit with something mid-match that you've never really seen before and that you have no clue how to deal with it. So for rookies playing it becomes a bit of a mid-match race to see who can figure out what the heck is going on and find some way to deal with it first in order to win. Obviously 2D fighters have mid-match adjustment as well, but with a 2D plane and reduced movelists it's quite a bit more static, and more on who can execute better on their pre-planed gameplan to win.
A few things that I don't like:

1. Customization gets a bit crazy online. This is both a like and a dislike. I really like the customization options in the game, it's a cool way to make your character visually distinct when playing online. However for a new Tekken player it really can be a pain in the behind to figure out what the heck is happening visually when being attacked by some bizzaro superhero figure with balloons floating from their back and they keep shooting your with an equipped laser gun. I'm still learning the visual shapes to recognize characters and this really doesn't help. Kinda wish there was an option to turn off opponent customizations just to help me out in the early stages.
  2. Too many "sorta clone" characters. As I said before I'm new to Tekken, so I get that some of these characters might have more appeal to long time series fans. But I would easily take 2-3 fully original new characters over these guys and gals that are essentially palette swaps with 5-6 different moves or slightly different move properties. Miharu, P. Jack, Panda, Alex, Slim Bob, Violet, ect...They just seem to bulk out that cast without really adding that much to the game. And for a team game I really like the point of having to learn two different characters and movesets. So instead of being able to get a tag team with X and X Clone feels to me like they should have to play solo and take the drawbacks that come along with that or actually learn two unique characters. Just my 2 cents on that.

Yeah, kinda long post, but I wanted to share my thoughts coming to the series for the first time. I'm really enjoying it and I see sticking with it as my main fighter for quite a while.

mr_boo

Yeah, kinda long post, but I wanted to share my thoughts coming to the series for the first time. I'm really enjoying it and I see sticking with it as my main fighter for quite a while.
Welcome to Tekken...some thoughts:

- interesting note on customization, but with TTT2 it got worst in that the amount of stuff you could do was reduced. I miss putting a stache on Lei (lol). One thing I can't stand are the item options (e.g., weapons) and their actual impact in matches.

- re backdash cancel stuff, I personally feel like you don't have to be able to master that to find match success. I can't do it either, and if I recall correctly one of the more respected Korean competitive players can't/doesn't use it either (can't remember who exactly).

- one thing I really like about Tekken is that as you get better and more comfortable with the game and your characters, you'll be able to put all that stuff (knowledge, execution, movement) together in an actual match...when this happens, you'll find that Tekken gameplay really flows and hums in a way that's different when you first started out.

DEATH™

@fightingfish

Aside from nostalgia, the clone characters are there to help newbies who want to learn the game. People are intimidated learning a character, and having to learn two is much more. Though I wish everybody has your attitude of learning two chars = fun, Namco is looking out for people to have the easiest entry in the game.

The good thing though is in due time, if they decide to keep some clone chars, they will be differentiated. I'm glad Harada gave Armor King a chance to evolve, and though he looks like the same, he's so completely different now, same thing with Baek, Anna, etc. I think P. Jack, Miharu and Alex can be those next "clone" chars that will evolve next. Slim Bob, Violet and Sebastian can say goodbye (though I see Violet as KOF 13 Kyo type of palette swap). I kinda wish Christie will be differentiated too. But oh well...

----------

Stupid Lars is Stupid... fought one guy on rank twice with both promotion chances. Dude spams uf+3 alot. The frustrating part is I kept blocking it but can't punish that thing.

mr_boo

DEATH™;48453874 said:
Stupid Lars is Stupid... fought one guy on rank twice with both promotion chances. Dude spams uf+3 alot. The frustrating part is I kept blocking it but can't punish that thing.
Is it punishable? I've been hit by uf+3 executed twice in a row, after blocking the first one and trying to punish it only to be juggled by the second one. I'm probably really bad with punishing. Lar's uf+3 was what someone in this thread previously dubbed as Lar's shoryuken (lol)

Is it punishable? I've been hit by uf+3 executed twice in a row, after blocking the first one and trying to punish it only to be juggled by the second one. I'm probably really bad with punishing. Lar's uf+3 was what someone in this thread previously dubbed as Lar's shoryuken (lol)

It's punishable, but the problem is the window to punish it is earlier than it appears. You have to start while he's in the air. Once he's on the ground it's too late.

AAK

I can punish Lars u/f3 with Julia’s hopkick, hwoarang’s d/f2. Any mid hitting 15frame launcher will punish it. The retarded thing about that move is that there is a frame where it crushes mids too. As long as you block it you should be able to get some kind of damage.

And that was a great read fighting fish! Feel free to ask anything you like about the game and we'd be glad to chip in some tips and advice :).

Deps

Lars uf3 is actually -20 or so. I think even Steve can launch punish it, but you definitely have to learn to ignore Lars and just punish when you leave blockstun.

Edit: LOL. Steve can punish Lars shoryuken with his own if he does perfect iPAB uf2.

Sayah

That was a pretty good read fighting fish. Your complaints about customizations are justified. Glad to know you are enjoying the game.

Sayah

Wow. All these matches have been amazing so far. There is a severe lack of Williams there though. Must make my way to one of these things one day.

Sayah

DEATH™;48499578 said:

Currently can't afford an EVO trip. But I really do want to participate in these scenes. I'm probably starting grad school in fall. Trying to avoid loans ahead of time. Once/if I'm ever making good money and have a settled job, then it'll be easier to do stuff like this (hopefully).

DEATH™

Just Frame James got so much trickery. A shame he lost. :/

Trickery can make or break you. Its basically a gamble. There are times when he could just play it safe but instead made shenanigans that cost him the round. Cant blame him though, he's creative and gutsy...

Sayah

Yeah, trickery can screw you over but when it works, it works great. Just amazed by how adept that Yoshi is. Makes me want to use Yoshi but it'll probably take a while before I can learn him properly. That suicide cancel into the backturn launcher he did. I said daayyyuuuuum.

Sayah

Approximately what time do you think? I can try to see if we can have grand finals today for the Tekken tourney. The tournament was supposed to finish early February. We're almost in March now. The time zone differences messed us up last time.

Sayah

Awesome. I hope we can do it today then.

Edit: DL is available 9 p.m. PST so that's 12 a.m. EST. Hoping that time is fine.

Slightly off topic but these are some awesome Jun and JayCee mods for Street Fighter x Tekken. I wish I had a better PC to just so I could mess around with these.
fZ8dNaA.jpg

This person does some amazing work.
http://monkeygigabuster.deviantart.com/gallery/

AAK

It's a different game all together, you can throw away how good a character is based on their punishers or max damage combo's and such since it's pretty much pointless to even try it. Doing a combo in that state was pretty much the equivalent of doing it with your eyes closed since you depend on the timing in your muscle memory rather than visual cues. Again I'm so sorry Wonkey :(, Canada truly has shitty internet. The games he was having with Sayah and DL were honestly not as bad.

GrayFoxPL

It's a different game all together, you can throw away how good a character is based on their punishers or max damage combo's and such since it's pretty much pointless to even try it. Doing a combo in that state was pretty much the equivalent of doing it with your eyes closed since you depend on the timing in your muscle memory rather than visual cues. Again I'm so sorry Wonkey :(, Canada truly has shitty internet. The games he was having with Sayah and DL were honestly not as bad.

I'm pretty amazed on the level of matches considering this. Well played.

Nothing to do with Canada having bad internet but the billion miles of ocean. One of you guys might as well been on Mars. Lol. We played on T6 and got 2 bars, 2!

Anyway great play and congrats!

Top Bottom