• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

AAK

Noooo Boutdown :(

Anyone got a good Paul or Asuka avatar for me to use?

ibfqq7ujw8XFKl.png

or

ibseSAi9I9I8iQ.png

These are the ones from the OP:

ibrov7S3w7SMib.png
iugPGpqNgnshM.png

And for fun... this is the avatar I made for SFxT way back when:

ibhIuvqxVqlTk3.png

I know it's WIP but I honestly thought that was RE3 Jill Valentine LOL. I guess he has yet to but a darker shader on the hair and such... but Jun isn't Jun without her headband. And also that facial expression is a bit too.... say promiscuous for Jun's character haha. But still it's super pretty so far, can't wait to see the final version.

Yeah it doesnt really look like her yet. He has some other layers on the psd file that look like her but he wasnt satisfied with them so he's just messing around at the moment. Her hairband, proper hair color, and all that stuff will be there in the final product. As for her expression, thats the idea =) She's supposed to be teasing/leading Miguel on. Why else would he team up with the mother of the man he hates the most ;)

Manbig

Is there a good anti-Hwoarang tutorial I can look at?

Stupid jerk with his frame traps and low launcher out of random strings.

I'm still in the process of learning that match up myself, but the first step is learning when it's okay to attack him and when it's okay to sidestep/walk him when he's in his Flamingo stances. Also, his lows are almost all heavily punishable except for one low poke that goes into flamingo that leaves him 0 on block when the transition is used.

GGs last night to AAK and Ichigo (Sorry don't know your forum name... or if you're even in these forums lol.) Wish I was able to stick around longer, but I was already up far later than I should have been when I joined the room.

Pachimari

Wait, is boutdown perma banned or for a time period?
He also tried adding me on PSN but as I accepted it had been cancelled because I hadn't seen the request for a while.

AAK

Is there a good anti-Hwoarang tutorial I can look at?

Stupid jerk with his frame traps and low launcher out of random strings.

http://www.twitch.tv/norcalstrongstyle/b/374647029?t=1h59m

It's not comprehensive, but it covers the main things that good Hwoarang players will abuse.

The low launcher is pretty slow, you should be able to block it if you are vigilant.

I'm still in the process of learning that match up myself, but the first step is learning when it's okay to attack him and when it's okay to sidestep/walk him when he's in his Flamingo stances. Also, his lows are almost all heavily punishable except for one low poke that goes into flamingo that leaves him 0 on block when the transition is used.

GGs last night to AAK and Ichigo (Sorry don't know your forum name... or if you're even in these forums lol.) Wish I was able to stick around longer, but I was already up far later than I should have been when I joined the room.

Yeah GG's man! Love your Drag pressure. And Ichigo is just a player I met when I went to Toronto haha. He's an up and comer high school kid that's really putting a lot of work into the game.

As for that Hwoarang low that ransitions into flamingo, I can only think of +3,3 and d+3,4. both of them are mid high, so if you block the low and stay crouching and letting the follow up whiff, you can basically unleash your max damage while rising launcher.

EDIT:

It looks like Nin is playing online:

http://www.twitch.tv/cafeid

Sayah

I couldn't find a general thread/post/weblink on the internet that explains the depth of the current Tekken gameplay system in extensive detail. All I could find on google is a blog post that mostly examines the low-medium-high system.

Edit: I also bought the season pass for the Walking Dead game episodes over Skullgirls. Played through Episode 1 and still trying to figure out how this game won so many goty awards.

AAK

I couldn't find a general thread/post/weblink on the internet that explains the depth of the current Tekken gameplay system in extensive detail. All I could find on google is a blog post that mostly examines the low-medium-high system.

Edit: I also bought the season pass for the Walking Dead game episodes over Skullgirls. Played through Episode 1 and still trying to figure out how this game won so many goty awards.

Oh nice! maybe this could also go in the fighting game weekly thread too!

Also, Tekken GOD deathmatch going on right now between Knee (Heihachi/Jin) vs LowHigh (Leo/Lars)

http://www.twitch.tv/greentekken

EDIT: I posted it way too late :(
Knee just on it, but he didn't get to Tekken God status, he just demoted lowhigh from Tekken Emperor to Tekken Lord.

Manbig

It's not comprehensive, but it covers the main things that good Hwoarang players will abuse.

The low launcher is pretty slow, you should be able to block it if you are vigilant.

Yeah GG's man! Love your Drag pressure. And Ichigo is just a player I met when I went to Toronto haha. He's an up and comer high school kid that's really putting a lot of work into the game.

As for that Hwoarang low that ransitions into flamingo, I can only think of +3,3 and d+3,4. both of them are mid high, so if you block the low and stay crouching and letting the follow up whiff, you can basically unleash your max damage while rising launcher.

EDIT:

It looks like Nin is playing online:

http://www.twitch.tv/cafeid

Was talking about Hwo's d/b4 ~ f transition into RFL. It's 0 on block, so if you try to WS4, his 10f RFL f4,4 will launch you on CH.

TY for the compliment. I'm having a really rough time getting used to pad after playing stick the past year. Only reason I'm doing it is because the chairs at Next Level make the angle too awkward for me to play properly and my execution goes down the toilet. I usually wouldn't drop the Drag f3 cancel combos. :p

AAK

Was talking about Hwo's d/b4 ~ f transition into RFL. It's 0 on block, so if you try to WS4, his 10f RFL f4,4 will launch you on CH.

TY for the compliment. I'm having a really rough time getting used to pad after playing stick the past year. Only reason I'm doing it is because the chairs at Next Level make the angle too awkward for me to play properly and my execution goes down the toilet. I usually wouldn't drop the Drag f3 cancel combos. :p

Wow... I had no idea about that! Thank you, I just levelled up :)

And I agree, that is a huge disadvantage for me too being a stick player. The elevation of the chairs makes a huge difference in your playstyle :(

Manbig

Wow... I had no idea about that! Thank you, I just levelled up :)

And I agree, that is a huge disadvantage for me too being a stick player. The elevation of the chairs makes a huge difference in your playstyle :(

Don't thank me. Thank Blood Hawk. :)

One of the few uses of that Prima Games strategy guide. It's actually not a bad start in learning how to beat other characters by checking out some of their key moves. Just gotta go somewhere else for correct frame data.

So I'm still working at figuring this game out and still enjoying it. Initially I started with Steve and Michelle, but moved over after a bit to Dragunov and Jack-6. It's just felt easier with those two figuring out how to do more damage in a straight forward fashion. Plus I put 'em both in full plate armor and pretend they are the Clegane brothers, which probably amuses me more than it should.

A few things that I know that I need to work on:

1. Combos - I'm so not a training room warrior. I play games like maybe two hours a week at most, and I hate to give up play time to train. But I need to up my combo damage at least a bit. I'll never take the time to learn situation stuff, but I need a few more damaging juggle options that I can punish with. I'm getting to the point now in some matches where my movement is relatively on point (for a Tekken rookie at least) but I'm losing out because I do such crap damage and don't remove the red health of my opponents via TAs.

2. Inputs - Silly I know, but for some reason I'm actually flubbing a lot of QCF motions with Dragunov and it's killing me at times. I don't know if this is Tekken specific or something, but I feel like I've never struggled this much with QCFs, I mean I've played enough 2D games that I thought they were second nature to me. I'll have to poke around in training room some more to see what I'm fudging.

3. Wake up game - Another big hole in my game. I just don't really have a grasp on all the options yet, what is safe and what is unsafe. And I have some type of "PANIC = BACKROLL" switch in my brain that is just getting me murdered. I need to get a better idea of my options and start being more controlled about this in matches.

Good times though.

Sayah

So I'm still working at figuring this game out and still enjoying it. Initially I started with Steve and Michelle, but moved over after a bit to Dragunov and Jack-6. It's just felt easier with those two figuring out how to do more damage in a straight forward fashion. Plus I put 'em both in full plate armor and pretend they are the Clegane brothers, which probably amuses me more than it should.

A few things that I know that I need to work on:

1. Combos - I'm so not a training room warrior. I play games like maybe two hours a week at most, and I hate to give up play time to train. But I need to up my combo damage at least a bit. I'll never take the time to learn situation stuff, but I need a few more damaging juggle options that I can punish with. I'm getting to the point now in some matches where my movement is relatively on point (for a Tekken rookie at least) but I'm losing out because I do such crap damage and don't remove the red health of my opponents via TAs.

2. Inputs - Silly I know, but for some reason I'm actually flubbing a lot of QCF motions with Dragunov and it's killing me at times. I don't know if this is Tekken specific or something, but I feel like I've never struggled this much with QCFs, I mean I've played enough 2D games that I thought they were second nature to me. I'll have to poke around in training room some more to see what I'm fudging.

3. Wake up game - Another big hole in my game. I just don't really have a grasp on all the options yet, what is safe and what is unsafe. And I have some type of "PANIC = BACKROLL" switch in my brain that is just getting me murdered. I need to get a better idea of my options and start being more controlled about this in matches.

Good times though.

1. Combos for Dragunov and Jack-6 can be very simple.......or very complicated depending on what you're aiming for. Since you are just learning combos, I would suggest you do the simple ones.
With Dragunov, for instance, after pretty much any launcher (such as d/f+2), you can press 4,1 and then 4,3 for the bound. It's extremely easy to memorize for anyone picking up the character. And in case, you're not familiar with Tekken notation. 1 = square, 2 = triangle, 3 = X, 4 = circle.

2. You're not the first one to say you're having problems with qcf motions. I don't know what it is with Tekken that people are having problems doing qcf motions. I've played other 2D fighters and I've, of course, played Tekken and it all feels the same to me. But other people here have also mentioned that qcf motions are harder in Tekken so I don't know.

3. As far as wake up game goes, it's always good idea to press square when you're on ground to roll on the ground. That's most often the safest way to go. But depending on different circumstances, the other options are also going to be more useful or viable.

Thank Sayah.

Yeah one of the slight issues with TTT2 that I'm having is that it's sometimes hard to find info on those simple combos like the one you gave me. I can usually get combo info on TZ forums, but it's often poorly organized or focused just on advanced combos. For now I've mostly been using the training mode combos for characters as basics to try to figure stuff out.

I think with Drag I've been doing something like d/f+2, 1,4 then f+1,3,2 or something like that. And for Jack-6 (launch) b+4,4 then d/f+1,2,1,2. Not sure if I'm listing those right though.

On wake up, if you are just doing the standard stand up are you vulnerable low? I feel like a lot of what is hitting me is low attacks as I'm in the middle of standing up.

Sayah

Thank Sayah.

Yeah one of the slight issues with TTT2 that I'm having is that it's sometimes hard to find info on those simple combos like the one you gave me. I can usually get combo info on TZ forums, but it's often poorly organized or focused just on advanced combos. For now I've mostly been using the training mode combos for characters as basics to try to figure stuff out.

I think with Drag I've been doing something like d/f+2, 1,4 then f+1,3,2 or something like that. And for Jack-6 (launch) b+4,4 then d/f+1,2,1,2. Not sure if I'm listing those right though.

On wake up, if you are just doing the standard stand up are you vulnerable low? I feel like a lot of what is hitting me is low attacks as I'm in the middle of standing up.

If you keep playing enough with one character, combos will become second nature.
And yeah, if you just stand up, you can be vulnerable to lows as well as other setups.

Thanks guys. I was trying to down jab and sidestep him, but I guess I was doing that at the wrong times. I'll have to watch some replays to figure what else was killing me

And Sayah, TWD gets better. I strongly recommend seeing it through to the end.

Somebody asked for baby mode Drag combos? It's a specialty of mine. :)

d/f+2, 4,1, 1, 1,3,2 TA! Jack-6 d/f+3,2 Drag ff+3 (82 dmg)

If you want to step it up a bit in difficulty for an extra whopping 3 damage you can do this one:

d/f+2, f+4,4,3, f+1, ff+2 TA! Jack-6 d/f+3,2 Drag ff+3 (85 dmg)

These filler parts are a staple for Drag so even if you don't want to use it, it's still good to practice. The ff+2 input after the jab is tight, so get it in there quickly (but make sure the jab finishes too). Anything meatier than that may require his crouch cancel/wall carry stuff which takes a ton of practice (f+3~d/f,u,n,1 etc.). I'm still learning it myself. If you want/need better wake up positioning it's best not to use the ff+3 ender for Drag and perhaps go for something like this:

d/f+2, 4,1, 4,3 TA! Jack-6 d/f+3,2 Drag f+3~d/f, 4 (79 dmg)

Or this one which is hella cool looking and just as simple:

d/f+2, 4,3 TA! Jack-6 u+1+2 (default TA) Drag U/F+4 (delayed hopkick), f+4,4,3 (79 dmg)

I also noticed you specifically mentioned draining red life. Please remember that Tag Assault combos do not drain red life, in fact they create a lot more red life. Combos that drain red life must be started with a tag bufferable launcher (has a red icon next to it in the move list), for example, Drag's QCF+1 and QCF+2. So something like this:

QCF+2~5 (Jack-6) 4, b+4,4, b+3,2,2 (79 dmg)

That's just something I came up with on the fly, I don't know if that's optimal for Jack or not but it works on all of Drag's normal tag bufferable launchers and seems like decent damage. Off a Jack tag bufferable launcher you can use Drag's 3,1 to pick them up then go into a 1,3,2 bound. Off Jack's really high launchers like ff+2~5 throw in a delayed hopkick (U/F+4) before the 3,1 for more damage.

If you need any further finer details for Drag, Aris has broken him down to incredible detail here.

TheFightingFish said:

Regarding inputs, I don't know if you use pad or stick, but one of the things I learned with Tekken (actually learned this in Virtua Fighter first, so it must be a 3D thing) is to make sure to hit the last direction of the input and the button either at the same time or a frame apart while continuing to hold the direction (the latter is safer). Drag's QCF motions are actually pretty lenient in this regard because it's a crouch dash which gives you lots of frames to input the button, the QCB does not though. If that isn't the problem then maybe you're missing the down or forward direction? I know some 2D games have crazy leniency with shortcuts and Tekken does too a little bit, but not with the down direction from my experience. And missing Drag's forward on a QCF causes a special crouch dash.

TheFightingFish said:

Generally when I'm unsure about how to get up I just stay down and watch how the opponent approaches. Practice taking a hit on the ground and then teching up off of that. If you learn that you're playing an aggressive opponent you can use get-up and flip-up attacks to get them off you. If they're trying to bait you into a relaunch then just stay down and wait for an opportunity to get up safely. Back-rolling is a no-no unless you're well out of their striking distance.

Sayah

Wow. Awesome stuff Famicom.^^^^

Thanks guys. I was trying to down jab and sidestep him, but I guess I was doing that at the wrong times. I'll have to watch some replays to figure what else was killing me

And Sayah, TWD gets better. I strongly recommend seeing it through to the end.

I'll try to finish the rest of the episodes and post my impressions.

I've been playing this a bit lately since I finished Batman, I can't get the f**king song from Tekken Ball Mode out of my head lol.

It now joins the ranks of SF4 and Dragon's Dogma theme as awesome favorites.

I've been playing this a bit lately since I finished Batman, I can't get the f**king song from Tekken Ball Mode out of my head lol.

It now joins the ranks of SF4 and Dragon's Dogma theme as awesome favorites.

That's like the epic Trio there, man. Flying into Free of an Indestructable School Day.

Now I want Chocolate and Ice Cream. =(

Oh, and I'm up for casuals anytime, Need more practice for my Lee/Violet team.

Manbig

I'm really thinking of just playing with one character for some time, just to see if I can actually one single character.

Just be prepared for some major headaches. The more I hear about how people like Mr. Naps are breaking down the TA system (especially at the wall) the bigger disadvantage that I think solo players get.

Pachimari

Oh yeah, it's not that I plan on being a solo player, by no means, I would just like to experience the feeling of actually feeling like I'm in control or responsible for every move. :)

I can't believe I have been playing Tekken since the first one, yet I suck but of course I didn't start practicing for real until Tag 2.

Manbig

Oh yeah, it's not that I plan on being a solo player, by no means, I would just like to experience the feeling of actually feeling like I'm in control or responsible for every move. :)

I can't believe I have been playing Tekken since the first one, yet I suck but of course I didn't start practicing for real until Tag 2.

That's a tough pill for a lot of people to swallow when competitive fighting games started to get popular online. It's also what breeds a lot of the carried over scrub mentality from the 90s. Good on you for getting over that hump though.

Sayah

I'm currently at 480 hours in this game...................wow. Game is just too damn addictive. I keep telling myself I'll play all these other games I have just sitting around but my free time just ends up going to Tekken anyway.

Pachimari

What's pulling me away from Tekken is all of my review games and my guilty pleasure in FIFA. Haven't had much time for Tekken the last couple of weeks but I'll definitely come back to it. And I have also come to accept that we won't get Shin Kamiya, still holding out for online Tekken Ball.

Slygmous

Finally ventured online with my Jun/Miharu team and got somebody spamming two moves over and over. I wasn't prepared for that.
Cool to see people still online though, considering I'm on the 360.

Hey thanks a ton for the Drag combos and advice Famicom. That was all super helpful. And the QCF issue is exactly what you mentioned. Other games seem to be a bit more lenient on when the action button is pushed. So in the training mode I could see that I'd just let off the final direction in the QCF and was back at neutral right as I hit the action button. If I stayed on the direction button just a beat longer the move came out 100%.

Manbig

DEATH™;50146854 said:

KOR is a nice guy with credibility in the tournament scene to back him up, but he's not the most well spoken personality in front of a camera out there. Hope he can get it together, or even find a suitable co-host.

Hey thanks a ton for the Drag combos and advice Famicom. That was all super helpful. And the QCF issue is exactly what you mentioned. Other games seem to be a bit more lenient on when the action button is pushed. So in the training mode I could see that I'd just let off the final direction in the QCF and was back at neutral right as I hit the action button. If I stayed on the direction button just a beat longer the move came out 100%.

The reason for this is because 3D fighters have moves that require the stick/pad to be neutral at one point ,like (E)WGF in Tekken, so you have to make sure that the attack button input is registering along with the forward input in the end.

The hardest thing to learn with Dragunov is the iWS4 necessary for certain juggles. I recommend leaving that for last and using the d2, WS4, d4,4 juggles for stuff like CH WR2, d/b2,1,2 and d/b3 until you master that iWS4 input later on.

The first complicated input that you should work on learning is iWR2. It is a very important tool for Dragunov's pressure, but is only really effective if you can do it at a relatively short distance (about 1 character space away).

Lastly, not sure if this was mentioned yet, but Aris made a FANTASTIC tutorial on Dragunov here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj4cc1ldx70 Aris also has great tutorials on a few other characters in his channel there, so check them out.

AAK

KOR is a nice guy with credibility in the tournament scene to back him up, but he's not the most well spoken personality in front of a camera out there. Hope he can get it together, or even find a suitable co-host.

I nominate Eddy Pistons :D

AAK

I'm currently at 480 hours in this game...................wow. Game is just too damn addictive. I keep telling myself I'll play all these other games I have just sitting around but my free time just ends up going to Tekken anyway.

I decided to check my playtime with this game.... I kinda felt ashamed right after... well actually not Kinda EXTREMELY ASHAMED.

678 hours and 7 minutes

I'm truly the addicted one :(

Sayah

DEATH™;50213034 said:
Sayah, he catches those backrolls with Lili bro... and they hurt...

I'm going to get demoted soon enough, lol. Doing so much random stuff. Should probably go to sleep.

I decided to check my playtime with this game.... I kinda felt ashamed right after... well actually not Kinda EXTREMELY ASHAMED.

678 hours and 7 minutes

I'm truly the addicted one :(

I'll probably reach your playtime soon enough.

AAK

jb1Y3Aza5B7SE9.png

Losses, demotions, misery, lol. Feeling like garbage tonight. But I'll work my way back up.

Hey nice, you too got to play ElNegro... He's that Venezuelan player who beat Fab and Rip at the Ultimate Tournament that was held in france. No shame in that :) His Raven, Kuni setups are off the charts!

But after watching a couple of the matches on stream, i think there are some things you abuse which a lot of higher level player easily know how to punish. For example, with Anna, at your equivalent level, everyone knows to sidestep the u/f+1,3,3+4 before the last hit.

I mean that is what I've been doing recently, I stopped whoring Hwoarang's d/f+4,3 or Julia's WS+2,strings since everyone at higher knows how to punish them and launch me for them. I had to go and find new shenanigans to surprise them and such.

EDIT: But one thing though.... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stop using d+4,1~u and u/f+4,3,4~u strings. They're massively punishable and seeable above Warrior rank. :p Well, I guess I should clarify that I'm strictly talking about doing it in the open. Using them for okizeme is perfectly cool with me :)

And BTW, I love that new combo you do off of Anna's d/b+3, and in the tag assault you use Nina's hayashida step string into crouch dash WS+4,3 and end with Anna's f+4. That was sexy.

EDIT 2:

Morning Bread and Butter for King with Kayyal as their special guest:

http://www.twitch.tv/levelupyourgame

Sayah

Hey nice, you too got to play ElNegro... He's that Venezuelan player who beat Fab and Rip at the Ultimate Tournament that was held in france. No shame in that :) His Raven, Kuni setups are off the charts!

But after watching a couple of the matches on stream, i think there are some things you abuse which a lot of higher level player easily know how to punish. For example, with Anna, at your equivalent level, everyone knows to sidestep the u/f+1,3,3+4 before the last hit.

I mean that is what I've been doing recently, I stopped whoring Hwoarang's d/f+4,3 or Julia's WS+2,strings since everyone at higher knows how to punish them and launch me for them. I had to go and find new shenanigans to surprise them and such.

EDIT: But one thing though.... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stop using d+4,1~u and u/f+4,3,4~u strings. They're massively punishable and seeable above Warrior rank. :p Well, I guess I should clarify that I'm strictly talking about doing it in the open. Using them for okizeme is perfectly cool with me :)

And BTW, I love that new combo you do off of Anna's d/b+3, and in the tag assault you use Nina's hayashida step string into crouch dash WS+4,3 and end with Anna's f+4. That was sexy.

EDIT 2:

Morning Bread and Butter for King with Kayyal as their special guest:

http://www.twitch.tv/levelupyourgame

Oh yeah, that ElNegro guy has pretty good setups. I find Raven players a bit annoying with their constant back turns and stuff, though.

And yeah, I do sidestep cancels way too often with Nina/Anna. Really need to start avoiding that. Though, I think I can probably start doing stepus from those moves. Such as do uf+4,3 or d+4 without any sidestep cancels and wait for the opponent to do WS moves and punish those moves with 1,2 punches.

Also thanks. I was practicing and just learned that combo. It takes 92 damage which is pretty good from Anna's d/b+3.

Sayah

Thanks.

You mention SFxT, how do you guys feel about the game? I'm only mehish on it, my favourite Capcom fighter is CVS2.

I enjoyed playing SFXT but the game could have been so much more if:
1. Capcom had not put the whole gem stuff in. It was a clear cash in attempt.
2. Fully done on-disc characters were not delayed as paid DLC months later.
3. Pandora wasn't so useless in the vanilla version.
4. The art style wasn't so ugly. The hit effects look bad and you know you're doing something wrong when Nina looks like godzilla in your game.

5. Neon colors.

Degen

Feels good to play after a short break but online has never been so stressful

The average play level just keeps going up

Thanks.

You mention SFxT, how do you guys feel about the game? I'm only mehish on it, my favourite Capcom fighter is CVS2.
game is okay, but I can't go from the netcode of Soulcalibur 5 and TTT2 back to SFxT. Friends and local players like SSF4/Marvel more so that kinda sealed the deal

The gameplay isn't bad but I wouldn't put it on the level of the other games I mentioned... or Blazblue, for that matter

It's a shame because I wanted SFxT to be the best thing in the world since it was Street Fighter and Tekken combined

http://i5.minus.com/jb1Y3Aza5B7SE9.png
Losses, demotions, misery, lol. Feeling like garbage tonight. But I'll work my way back up.
hmm... might need to get those Williams outta there

just sayin

Top Bottom