• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

Can anyone tell me how to do those special moves when your back is against the wall? I think only certain characters can do them. Thanks in advance.

AAK

I went to an offline tournament yesterday... Lost a double law player that just down jabbed and hopkicked... and sometimes mixed me up with b+4, b+1, d/b+3, d/f+1, 2,2 into BT mixups, and Slide/WS+2 mixups...

I'm trash at this game.... Have 0 skills to adapt in a tournament. And he always ended the rounds with the u/f+1 ten string that I KNEW was coming but didn't duck or low parry.

ANYWAYS, I was wasting time online right now and I saw this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpisNWtIhbE

I can't believe I haven't seen almost 1/3 of them. They're so charming! I loved the Heihachi/Ogre one! Such a throwback to people that played Tekken 3. Man this game is such a love letter to the fans. I want to play this game forever.

Sayah

I went to an offline tournament yesterday... Lost a double law player that just down jabbed and hopkicked... and sometimes mixed me up with b+4, b+1, d/b+3, d/f+1, 2,2 into BT mixups, and Slide/WS+2 mixups...

I'm trash at this game.... Have 0 skills to adapt in a tournament. And he always ended the rounds with the u/f+1 ten string that I KNEW was coming but didn't duck or low parry.

I can't believe I haven't seen almost 1/3 of them. They're so charming! I loved the Heihachi/Ogre one! Such a throwback to people that played Tekken 3. Man this game is such a love letter to the fans. I want to play this game forever.

I've only seen a few of these taunts. Mokujin ones are awesome.

And come on man, you're definitely not trash. Laws mixups come really fast. I also find myself knowing that I have to duck or parry at certain points and I still end up just standing there. That's why I end up just doing d+1 or uf+3 hoping those end the string of mixups.

DEATH™

This is so frustrating... took a long break and really rusty...

I wanna hit myself right now... too many things to relean again...

GrayFoxPL

Some news on TxSF:

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2013/...les-reason-lack-details-initial-announcement/

Harada sent out a Tweet earlier this morning stating that they are "considering platform strategy" and because of that, Namco has not revealed much of anything about the game.

I guessed it'll be coming also to next gen but being developed all this time with PS3, 360 in mind it's little shitty they'll have to redo/update everything on next gen before showing us anything. Cross gen probably.

It's possible Namco want to force exclusivity deal from one of two big players.

Sayah

Some news on TxSF:

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2013/...les-reason-lack-details-initial-announcement/

I guessed it'll be coming also to next gen but being developed all this time with PS3, 360 in mind it's little shitty they'll have to redo/update everything on next gen before showing us anything. Cross gen probably.

I hope TKXSF goes Soul Calibur II route. 1 guest character for each of the big players. I just wish they would show off some sort of trailer. Doesn't even have to be gameplay, just CG to build the hype.

DEATH™;50580738 said:

Don't beat yourself up. It'll probably take a few moments to relearn things.

GrayFoxPL

I hope TKXSF goes Soul Calibur II route. 1 guest character for each of the big players. I just wish they would show off some sort of trailer. Doesn't even have to be gameplay, just CG to build the hype.

But exclusive character means waste of slot for tournament players, as these are banned.

Harada and the Tekken team probably had a trailer or footage ready but they're being stalled by business heads at Namco. "Platform strategy" :/ Now we'll be waiting half a year for a "new" trailer for PS4/720 :/.

Sayah

But exclusive character means waste of slot for tournament players, as these are banned.

Harada and the Tekken team probably had a trailer or footage ready but they're being stalled by business heads at Namco. "Platform strategy" :/ Now we'll be waiting half a year for a "new" trailer for PS4/720 :/.

It does mean a waste of character slot for tournaments but it can also help increase sales dramatically. If they add Link in the Wii U version for instance (if there is one), the game will sell like crazy.

GrayFoxPL

It does mean a waste of character slot for tournaments but it can also help increase sales dramatically. If they add Link in the Wii U version for instance (if there is one), the game will sell like crazy.

Not sure if Link helped GameCube SCII. Maybe. But Link in Tekken?

They'd have a problem with exclusive character for Xbox again, lol.

On second thought I'd rather not have ex characters, it may look really out of place in Tekken - Yeah even among the bears or robots.

Nothing will hurt SC after mishmash with Star Wars though.

AAK

Hey Sayah, check out the archive for the cafeid league if you haven't. Some amazing Nina play by Only Practice:

http://www.twitch.tv/cafeid/b/378270906

What is the format of this thing? I have no idea how people get eliminated... I mean LowHigh got eliminated when he was only -1, but they kept letting OP play until even -7. And HHH definitely was in the (+) for way longer than Gura but he didn't get to play in the finals? I was so confused lol.

And come on man, you're definitely not trash. Laws mixups come really fast. I also find myself knowing that I have to duck or parry at certain points and I still end up just standing there. That's why I end up just doing d+1 or uf+3 hoping those end the string of mixups.

I mean, it's not about the loss, but it's the type of opponent I lost to. I definitely knew a lot more about the game and I spent way more time learning the game than he did... but I was still humiliated by pretty much 8 moves. That made me real sad.

DEATH™;50580738 said:

Fun fact, that was winner's finals where I played that guy. After I lost I was so mad that I just forfeit the tournament and left. I was so salty LOL.

Some news on TxSF:

Sounds like they're waiting for MS to announce the 720. Maybe they'll reveal it at MS's April revealing possibly? I hope not... I want them to dealy this for a looong time :)

What is the format of this thing? I have no idea how people get eliminated... I mean LowHigh got eliminated when he was only -1, but they kept letting OP play until even -7. And HHH definitely was in the (+) for way longer than Gura but he didn't get to play in the finals? I was so confused lol.

Win is +1, loss is -1. Loser stays on until they win. If you lose four straight games, you are eliminated. An additional rule was supposed to be if your score is -4 you are also eliminated, but either they forgot or it wasn't enforced. Jon talked about making sure they do that next time to cut down on the length of the game.

That's why everyone was getting so hype when Knee had 3 losses, because he was one round from being eliminated despite having the most points. JDCR lost like that in the last Danisen. It's also why it was sad that Triple H got eliminated on the last game of the round robin, because he had +5 and Only Practice had -7 at the time.

Sayah

I've asked this before but didn't stick around for the response. How is the netcode for ps3/360?

Really great. Tekken Tag 2 currently sets high standards for fighting games as far as netcode goes. Well, actually, Tekken Tag 2 sets high standards in many other areas too.

Damn, tempted to get into the lobby tonight but I've played so much today and yesterday. I don't think my hands can take much more. They're shaking as I type this =(

Metal Gear Rising has such a good soundtrack, gonna have to change up some tekken tunes. Sundowner theme is too juicy, really gets the blood boiling.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB6l8zFtLfw

Speaking of music, does anyone else play really well on certain stages because of it? For example, I have this track on Dusk after the Rain.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i15Ns1geJg

I feel its the perfect fit for that stage. When I play there I get in the zone, play extremely well and rarely lose. It's similar to listening to music when working out and you feel tired but that one track comes on and all of sudden you've got a burst of energy.

DEATH™

Yeah Kadey... Im surprised too that he beat sayah clean... that guy is good...

BTW sorry guys kinda have problems at house... moving and cleaning stuff...

(No wonder Im rusty...)

That is absolutely NOT true. You having amazing skills and everyone can get caught off guard every once in a while or not play at their best at times.

I haven't played online in a while and I feel so rusty and forgot some things. I hope I am not pass my prime in fighting games now.........

Xevren

Got this in the last xbl sale and giving it a go. Still trying to find some characters I really like, so far I'm into Zafina. Where would I go to find decent combo's and what not on learning a character? Didn't know of the go to place so figured I would ask here. Thanks!

DEATH™

Got this in the last xbl sale and giving it a go. Still trying to find some characters I really like, so far I'm into Zafina. Where would I go to find decent combo's and what not on learning a character? Didn't know of the go to place so figured I would ask here. Thanks!

http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=124545

And just go to the character forums and ask there if there's problems... It looks messy on the outside but if start to be a part of the forum, you'll find gems everytime and people willing to mentor you...

AAK

Don't concentrate on learning hard combo's exclusively just yet. Start with getting to know the structure of a combo and what it entails, I.E. Launcher --> Filler --> Bound --> Juggle Ender. Just get a simple one down to give you some combo damage while you learn the system. Here is an Easy staple one:

Launcher --> f+2,3 SCR 3+4 B! d/f+4,1

SCR means the scarecrow stance which she automatically enters from doing f+2,3. B! just signifies that the bound has to occur at that point.

What I recommend you concentrate more on is about what are her punishers on unsafe moves... what are her best whiff punishers.... what are her great low moves.... and some grabs simultaneously. There's A LOT of tools at your disposal and Zafina is a fairly complex character considering how many stances she has. I wrote a bunch of stuff about Tekken's general system and mechanics here, feel free to check it out:

http://www.avoidingthepuddle.com/ttt2-guides/

And here is a (ghetto) Youtube video of a guys going over a bunch of Zafina combo potential here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srtAc85ByGk

Although he does go into a bunch of Tag Assault options, I personally don't think you should play tag while starting. Get familiar with a solo character before learning 2 characters. Again feel free to ask away about anything you're confused with.

That is absolutely NOT true. You having amazing skills and everyone can get caught off guard every once in a while or not play at their best at times.

I lost in a FT3 set... if he just took one round then what you say would have been true. But he beat me 3-1... and he's a player with no skill in backdashing, no fuzzy guarding intuition, couldn't break a throw if I telegraphed it from a mile away, just turtles and hopkicks and d+1's and does some lows here and there. The fact that I couldn't figure out a way to beat him just said magnitudes about my skill level. But I will say I was pretty damn embarrassed to lose like that in public... especially when my name has been thrown around as for the guy who wrote the ATP beginner's guide.

Yupp hella rusty. Guess I should try to get back into this game after I've cleared all these other crappy games that I'm slogging through. Good games regardless tho guys. Oh and I think that wkv guy has been watching a little too many Korean videos haha.

Oh and Sayah I'll try contacting MarkMan through twitter.

Sayah

I lost in a FT3 set... if he just took one round then what you say would have been true. But he beat me 3-1... and he's a player with no skill in backdashing, no fuzzy guarding intuition, couldn't break a throw if I telegraphed it from a mile away, just turtles and hopkicks and d+1's and does some lows here and there. The fact that I couldn't figure out a way to beat him just said magnitudes about my skill level. But I will say I was pretty damn embarrassed to lose like that in public... especially when my name has been thrown around as for the guy who wrote the ATP beginner's guide.

You made it to winners finals man. That's no ordinary achievement. No one's going to judge you. I was watching that Korean cafe stream that doomshine posted and even a top player like only practice was initially getting destroyed with deathfists non-stop. Though, those were casual matches and not part of the tournament but still. There are times when we all play like shit.

Yupp hella rusty. Guess I should try to get back into this game after I've cleared all these other crappy games that I'm slogging through. Good games regardless tho guys. Oh and I think that wkv guy has been watching a little too many Korean videos haha.

Oh and Sayah I'll try contacting MarkMan through twitter.

ok cool.

Oh, I see. I can understand and imagine how frustrating that is. Don't worry about it. Stuff like that can happen to anyone. I know exactly how you feel. It's one thing losing to someone close or better skill-wise, but losing to an opponent that you can clearly see you are better than is the epitome of frustration. I sometimes defeat players ranked higher than me, but then comes along some lower ranked/skilled guy with more basic tactics that catch me off guard and he ends up beating me. TTT2 is such a vast and deep game that it can sometimes feel overwhelmed defensively since it has near 60 characters to fight against. I think the only way for me to become remotely close to professional or highly-skilled level is to proficiently learn at least half of the characters. My knowledge for the characters besides my mains seems to be diminishing unfortunately.

Sayah

I'm looking to make one of the following characters my third main character. Which one, I don't know yet.

Zafina
Yoshimitsu
Xiaoyu
Dragunov

Oh, I see. I can understand and imagine how frustrating that is. Don't worry about it. Stuff like that can happen to anyone. I know exactly how you feel. It's one thing losing to someone close or better skill-wise, but losing to an opponent that you can clearly see you are better than is the epitome of frustration. I sometimes defeat players ranked higher than me, but then comes along some lower ranked/skilled guy with more basic tactics that catch me off guard and he ends up beating me. TTT2 is such a vast and deep game that it can sometimes feel overwhelmed defensively since it has near 60 characters to fight against. I think the only way for me to become remotely close to professional or highly-skilled level is to proficiently learn at least half of the characters. My knowledge for the characters besides my mains seems to be diminishing unfortunately.

You are really great with the Williams.

Good games guys. Really rusty tonight and it shows. The heavy, constant lag wasn't helping either, but I still had fun. If this keeps up, I am going to call TTT2, Tekken Lag Tournament 2 because the game seems to be lagging on me quite a bit every time I go online. I better start practicing again before I forget everything. My Miguel, Jaycee and Jin are absolutely pitiful now..............

I must have some abnormally slow reaction times or something. I don't think I've ever once blocked a low or broken a throw without it being anticipated or accidental. I can't hit confirm anything. I know which moves are punishable but by the time my brain's processed it, it's already too late. Lag doesn't help.

Am I crazy or do I just need to spend more time in practice mode?

Edit: wow. I just took this test and apparently, I'm 90 milliseconds slower than the average person. This might explain why I'm so terrible at these games. :p

I'm looking to make one of the following characters my third main character. Which one, I don't know yet.

Zafina
Yoshimitsu
Xiaoyu
Dragunov

You are really great with the Williams.

Thanks. I really appreciate that. I still have a ways to go before I get to your Williams sister's level though. I forgot some combos, felt nervous and was afraid to try new combos on you since I know you will punish me severely if I screw up lol. Your Williams are amazing and tournament-worthy imo. You pull off some truly inhuman stuff and watching you beat the mess out of everyone with the William sisters is like poetry in motion.

Which character? I don't know. You seem very good with all of those characters. Learning Xiayou/Zafina would be a nightmare for most people I think since they are both confusing to fight, but your Yoshi and Drag are menacing and tricky also. Tough decision. Whoever you pick I am sure will be tough. Maybe Xiayou for starters???

I must have some abnormally slow reaction times or something. I don't think I've ever once blocked a low or broken a throw without it being anticipated or accidental. I can't hit confirm anything. I know which moves are punishable but by the time my brain's processed it, it's already too late.

Am I crazy or do I just need to spend more time in practice mode?

Throwbreaking on sight/reaction takes a ton of practice. When I try to do it I always feel about 3-5 frames too slow. I seem to do alright by watching what throws the opponent prefers using and predicting when they're coming so I can either break them or duck them. Lows, pretty much the same deal. Read the situation and be ready. Most "seeable" lows don't really feel all that seeable online IMO. If your spacing is good, low spammers aren't that tough to deal with.

A small aside, but a while ago when I was playing online my opponent picked up on my tendency with Armor King to throw in a low after b+2,1 and parried me out of it every time. I didn't even know I was doing it that constantly! Was kinda scary and cool.

Throwbreaking on sight/reaction takes a ton of practice. When I try to do it I always feel about 3-5 frames too slow. I seem to do alright by watching what throws the opponent prefers using and predicting when they're coming so I can either break them or duck them. Lows, pretty much the same deal. Read the situation and be ready. Most "seeable" lows don't really feel all that seeable online IMO. If your spacing is good, low spammers aren't that tough to deal with.

A small aside, but a while ago when I was playing online my opponent picked up on my tendency with Armor King to throw in a low after b+2,1 and parried me out of it every time. I didn't even know I was doing it that constantly! Was kinda scary and cool.

Yeah. Everyone insists snake edge is super choreographed, but my initial reaction to that move isn't "duck!" or "parry!", it's "holy shit I just got launched" :lol

I know people don't usually just throw these moves out. They're always used in certain situations or after some sort of setup, so I'm sometimes able to predict correctly. I'll probably still blow the punisher though. :lol

GrayFoxPL

Yeah. Everyone insists snake edge is super choreographed, but my initial reaction to that move isn't "duck!" or "parry!", it's "holy shit I just got launched" :lol

I know people don't usually just throw these moves out. They're always used in certain situations or after some sort of setup, so I'm sometimes able to predict correctly. I'll probably still blow the punisher though. :lol

It's mostly depends on stress. When I'm in "I don't give a shit" state I usually block lows on reaction and win. When stress gets in I just look at the stupid snake edge like hypnotized and can't react to shit.

Edit: wow. I just took this test and apparently, I'm 90 milliseconds slower than the average person. This might explain why I'm so terrible at these games. :p

When I don't cheat aka click before green happens on intuition, I get 239.4 if I concentrate hard. Don't worry about leaderboards, it's cheating. I clicked in 31ms because I anticipated it, that kind of reaction time is not possible for humans.

As far as Tekken goes there are players that work mostly on reaction and those who anticipate or guess. I'm the second category. Maybe you are too? So don't freak out on reaction times and J focus on mind reading and guessing - no joke. Who knows, maybe you got it.

Top Bottom