• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

Skilletor

DEATH™;53496141 said:
TBH I rather have that... You never know if the company decides to stop doing patches or they make a really flawed game. I rather wait for a polished game than a SFxT ver.1 or Marvel...

Different strokes. I'd rather be playing than watching vids talking about how broken something is.

You going to tell me that when T7 is out in JPN arcades, even if it has something as stupid as the hunting hawk setups in vanilla TTT2, you'd rather wait than be playing it immediately? :p

So I was messing around with Armor King's FC Giant Swing in practice mode tonight, and I set the dummy to do one after a d/b+3. Just to check how tight the timing was I threw out a jab after the d/b+3 hit and the dummy option selected into a WS 1????

ZTS

Banned
Tekken 5
Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection
Tekken 6
Tekken 6 Bloodline rebellion
Tekken Tag 2
Tekken Tag 2 Unlimited

We also had to wait 2+ years for ports of T6 and TTT2. Given the option I would've rather had a semi-broken game to play with a big patch a year later over waiting so long to play it.

I mean, I agree it's a great series, but, yeah, they definitely have "super" versions, and we have to wait hella long to get them.

:p

I think you don't understand Namco's planing. Outside of Tekken 5 every Tekken released in arcades always gets multiple versions before console. Tekken 4 had them and so did Tekken 3. You just didn't hear about them because it's just a small thing like version A, B, C, and D. Namco does this to test balance for the game before releasing the final "definitive" version on console and arcades.

ZTS

Banned
So I was messing around with Armor King's FC Giant Swing in practice mode tonight, and I set the dummy to do one after a d/b+3. Just to check how tight the timing was I threw out a jab after the d/b+3 hit and the dummy option selected into a WS 1????

What?

DEATH™

Different strokes. I'd rather be playing than watching vids talking about how broken something is.

You going to tell me that when T7 is out in JPN arcades, even if it has something as stupid as the hunting hawk setups in vanilla TTT2, you'd rather wait than be playing it immediately? :p

Yes... because I actually experienced playing in arcades... and I don't want arcades to die because of my impatience.

Tekken is an awesome arcade game.

Wha? Maybe the input was a bit off or the game read it wrong...

It might mean that doing a GS after a crouch would become a WS 1 if tried to be interrupted...

DEATH™;53497992 said:

Yeah really, I set the dummy to do a FC Giant Swing (as best as I could attempt it) after a d/b+3, I hit the play button, if I stood there and did nothing the Giant Swing came out after the d/b+3, if I threw a jab after the d/b+3 AK would instantly duck into a WS 1. Wasn't hard to replicate either. I'll see if I can video capture it tomorrow.

Skilletor

I think you don't understand Namco's planing. Outside of Tekken 5 every Tekken released in arcades always gets multiple versions before console. Tekken 4 had them and so did Tekken 3. You just didn't hear about them because it's just a small thing like version A, B, C, and D. Namco does this to test balance for the game before releasing the final "definitive" version on console and arcades.

I understand it perfectly well. Seems like you don't. T5, T6 updates added new characters and features (sounds like a SUPER update to me). TTT2: Unlimited added solo play and other balance tweaks. They were a lot more than just patches.

DEATH™;53497992 said:
Yes... because I actually experienced playing in arcades... and I don't want arcades to die because of my impatience.

/shrug. Like I said, different strokes. :)

ZTS

Banned
DEATH™;53497992 said:

It might mean that doing a GS after a crouch would become a WS 1 if tried to be interrupted...

No it should(will) always do giant swing.

ZTS

Banned
I understand it perfectly well. Seems like you don't. T5, T6 updates added new characters and features (sounds like a SUPER update to me). TTT2: Unlimited added solo play and other balance tweaks. They were a lot more than just patches.

2 characters is a Super Update? Doesn't sound very "Super" to me. Sounds like two more characters that were ment to be in the first version but needed a little more fine tuning before release. It's like saying DLC characters like Jill and Shuma are a Super Update to Vanilla Marvel. AKA it's not.

Skilletor

2 characters is a Super Update? Doesn't sound very "Super" to me. Sounds like two more characters that were ment to be in the first version but needed a little more fine tuning before release. It's like saying DLC characters like Jill and Shuma are a Super Update to Vanilla Marvel. AKA it's not.

Whatever floats your boat. :)

Can anyone find me a video that shows Hwoarang's broken unblockable in the original arcade release? I hear people bring it up all the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygYEcchhkpw

Boy that was fun!

Oh and yeah Tekken updates have been going on for a long time now. I still remember T2's updates which had to get rid of silly things like Jun's leg cutter air infinite or D. Kaz's f+4 giving a free 1,1,2 on block haha. But If you don't play the games on arcades the home console ports were always aimed to be the definitive version of the game.

Sayah

Tekken 5
Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection
Tekken 6
Tekken 6 Bloodline rebellion
Tekken Tag 2
Tekken Tag 2 Unlimited

We also had to wait 2+ years for ports of T6 and TTT2. Given the option I would've rather had a semi-broken game to play with a big patch a year later over waiting so long to play it.

I mean, I agree it's a great series, but, yeah, they definitely have "super" versions, and we have to wait hella long to get them.

:p

Completely different contexts mayne.

Dark Resurrection was mostly PSP exclusive for awhile. It was meant for the PSP. They could have easily released it on PS2 and cashed in.

Unlimited is just an update to the arcade version. Not really a super/ultimate version either. No new characters. Just balance updates and solo mode added.

And BR, as everyone knows, is the console version updated after the arcade version of T6. No different than Tag 2 on consoles getting new characters that the arcade version doesn't have.

These updates can not be placed in the same categories as Super SFIV or UMvC3. They're not complete disc re-releases a few months after the vanilla version.

These are updates going from arcade to console or (in the case of DR) from console to handheld. Not from the same console to the same console in a matter of months with a price tag of $40 after you had already initially payed $60 for the vanilla version. It's basically Capcom's way of rushing out and releasing unfinished games and then charging for more later.

And as DEATH said, I highly prefer Namco's way of doing things. Because you know the end product will be excellent. With Capcom now, you have a lot of marvel fans daily speculating and contemplating a patch that they know is never going to happen because the team got disbanded. There goes the balance patch.

DEATH™

Completely different contexts mayne.

Dark Resurrection was mostly PSP exclusive for awhile. It was meant for the PSP. They could have easily released it on PS2 and cashed in.

Unlimited is just an update to the arcade version. Not really a super/ultimate version either. No new characters. Just balance updates and solo mode added.

And BR, as everyone knows, is the console version updated after the arcade version of T6. No different than Tag 2 on consoles getting new characters that the arcade version doesn't have.

These updates can not be placed in the same categories as Super SFIV or UMvC3. They're not complete disc re-releases a few months after the vanilla version.

These are updates going from arcade to console or (in the case of DR) from console to handheld. Not from the same console to the same console in a matter of months with a price tag of $40 after you had already initially payed $60.

To followup, releasing a bad game from the start hurt Tekken before. Again, Tekken 4 is a great example. It's like the vanilla SFxT of yesteryears. Broken system and less replayability (due to less characters) hurt the game, and arcades investing in Tekken 4 went down because of that (having to buy multiple expensive arcade cabs that people didn't play much...).

ZTS

Banned
5.0 is like Marvel. Tons of bullshit everywhere.

-Infinites: Check
-100% combos: Check
-Unblockables: Check
-Ridiculously Unbalanced: Check
-Some Irish Chick is Top Tier: Check
-Stupid Risk-reward off everything: Check
-The Crush system- Check

MikeMyers

5.0 is like Marvel. Tons of bullshit everywhere.

-Infinites: Check
-100% combos: Check
-Unblockables: Check
-Ridiculously Unbalanced: Check
-Some Irish Chick is Top Tier: Check
-Stupid Risk-reward off everything: Check
-The Crush system- Check

There was a lot of hype for it though. T4 and TTT had the community quite divided, and I remember T5 helped bring a lot of them together again. Still some haters though.

ZTS

Banned
There was a lot of hype for it though. T4 and TTT had the community quite divided, and I remember T5 helped bring a lot of them together again. Still some haters though.

Evreyone played 5.0 and I mean everyone. That includes every top 2d player at the time, Ricky, Justin, Sanford, and so on. They all played. It was the biggest game in the FGC from 2004 till 2006.

DEATH™

Yeah... good ol' days...

I seriously hope though that TxSF won't be the same. I know TTT2 was meant to be played even when TxSF is out but I hope it doesn't get ugly. I want a Final Round where I can go play two games hehehe

Haters always hate though... Tekken always have that some who will have the mission to bash the game.

DEATH™

Can someone post a video of why Jin was broken in Tekken 4?

Ask Wonkey for that... he's the expert...

But to summarize...

1. df+1,4 - that mid, mid tracking move that got great range, safe and kills sidesteppers, is in the game where backdash is removed and sidesteps are the only real key to movement.

2. JFLS - Dat cheap string

3. 8-frame jabs interrupts everybody.

4. Infinite juggles

5. Parries make EVERYTHING unsafe, it's not even funny... It's so cheap...

It was bugging me so I went ahead and did it now. What I've discovered:

-Whatever I was doing wasn't a true FC Giant Swing. I actually did a proper one and it had no such properties (was also a bit faster).
-The option select only works on jabs, and only at a specific time. I didn't test every single move, but it's just a rough conclusion.

So basically it's nothing. Still goofy though!

ZTS

Banned
Can someone post a video of why Jin was broken in Tekken 4?

It wasn't so much moves as it was the system combined with absurdly strong tools that fit that system. There is no BDCing in Tekken 4. Jabs are super strong. What would be the ideal super strong jab string? Well it would be high then mid. But what if I told you it was high then mid, +1 on block with a follow up kick that was safe?

Pretty much the problem with T4 Jin is he could spam 21 all day and pretty much control the entire match with it. Then of course there was JF laser scarper.

Dereck

Has anyone ever wondered what newer Tekken characters would look/play like if they were put into older Tekken games like 2 or 3? Could you imagine a Tekken 2 Raven, Miguel, Feng, Zafina, etc.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Nevermind. Only took me a couple minutes to realize my setup is already better.

It seems that several people at the top of the leaderboards are boosting. That Honda guy and Qanba guy are such. Losers.

I recently installed that new K-stick that's for American/Japanese mounts on an HRAP3, and after some initial getting used to, it's excellent. It's never been easy for me to pull off EWGFs online, but I've got it down to a science with this stick. I'm working on bringing just frame TGF with Hei out soon.

Anyone want to buy a Sanwa HRAP-EX? Orange and black buttons. PM me and I'll send you some pics.

Sayah

Alright, ankirendan, which characters do you use?

Edit: Wait one second before attacking with yoshi during a tag assault. Right after you press the buttons to attack with yoshi, start running with jun and press x. Pretty much f,f, X.

Sayah

ok, when doing the tag assault, delay the triangle, X with Yoshi for two seconds and right after you press the buttons, start running with Jun and press X.

Edit: You have to start running with jun while yoshi is doing the move. Right after you press the attack buttons for yoshi, start running.

Sayah

You can delay Yoshi's b+2,1 in most instance. Don't have to do it right away. Especially with the combo you are doing right now.

Thanks once again, Sayah. My brother wanted to get at the PS3 so I had to go. Thank you for your patience, my execution is quite poor. If you don't mind, can you give me the notations for those combos so I can grind them later?

AAK

Thanks once again, Sayah. My brother wanted to get at the PS3 so I had to go. Thank you for your patience, my execution is quite poor. If you don't mind, can you give me the notations for those combos so I can grind them later?

I forgot a bunch of Jun’s notations but try a simple launcher with Jun, juggle filler, bound, Yoshimitsu’s d+2,2,1, Jun dash twice f,f+2,3.

should be pretty simple once you get the timings down. I'll hopefully have more free time this weekend and we can have online practice sessions with my mic on. :)

Sayah

Sorry boutdown I had to leave so early. GGs

No prob. :)
And I was just trying stuff with them. You can probably do better combos.

But anyway, I did these combos:

Combo 1:
Jun: f+2, u/f+3, b+2,1,f+1+2, 1+2 - Tag assault
Yoshi: Use either b+2,1 or just plain 2,1.
Jun: f,f,f+3.

Combo 2:
Jun: f+2, u/f+4,3 - Tag assault
Yoshi: b+2,1, 1+2, f+2
Jun: f,f+2,3

Combo 3:
Yoshi: CR d/f+1, d+2,2,1 - Tag assault
Jun: b+2,1, 1+2, 2
Yoshi: f+3+4

Combo 4:
Yoshi: u/f+4, b+1,1, b+1,1, f+1+2 - Tag assault

With certain moves, you have to position yourself right. But the timing and positioning becomes easy once you learn how to do it.

Dereck

DEATH™;53593059 said:
Is Kazama f+2 hit grounded?
No idea, but I know that it hits me even when I'm blocking and is incredible on counter hit. One of the reasons why I just cannot play well against Jun/Asuka, that move always gets me.

Sayah

No idea, but I know that it hits me even when I'm blocking and is incredible on counter hit. One of the reasons why I just cannot play well against Jun/Asuka, that move always gets me.

It's VERY punishable on block. Just use your d/f+2 with law or his hopkick.

DEATH™;53593059 said:
Is Kazama f+2 hit grounded?

It does hit grounded opponents.

lol, I feel that way with King/Ogre's capital punishment. The amount of times I've screamed "I WAS BLOCKING" after eating one of those...

I forgot a bunch of Jun’s notations but try a simple launcher with Jun, juggle filler, bound, Yoshimitsu’s d+2,2,1, Jun dash twice f,f+2,3.

should be pretty simple once you get the timings down. I'll hopefully have more free time this weekend and we can have online practice sessions with my mic on. :)

Thank you! I'm practicing this right now. Am I supposed to let the last part of Yoshimitsu's combo whiff? The 1 doesn't seem to connect and I end up missing Jun's finisher. Should I start the dash after the 2,2 is finished?

And just to be sure I'm doing it right, it's a 10 hit 83 damage combo? For example I'm doing:

Jun f+2, u+3, b+2, 1, f1+2
Yoshi d 2, 2, 1
Jun f, f 2,3
Sorry boutdown I had to leave so early. GGs

No prob. :)
And I was just trying stuff with them. You can probably do better combos.

But anyway, I did these combos:

Combo 1:
Jun: f+2, u/f+3, b+2,1,f+1+2, 1+2 - Tag assault
Yoshi: Use either b+2,1 or just plain 2,1.
Jun: f,f,f+3.

Combo 2:
Jun: f+2, u/f+4,3 - Tag assault
Yoshi: b+2,1, 1+2, f+2

Combo 3:
Yoshi: CR d/f+1, d+2,2,1 - Tag assault
Jun: b+2,1, 1+2, 2

Combo 4:
Yoshi: u/f+4, b+1,1, b+1,1, f+1+2 - Tag assault

With certain moves, you have to position yourself right. But the timing and positioning becomes easy once you learn how to do it.

Thanks! Looking forward to working on these all weekend XD

ZTS

Banned
I figured it out guys. I understand now. Tekken Tag Tournament 2 doesn't have online. That was the secret all along. You see there are actually 2 games on one disk. They just labeled it wrong. Offline mode was clearly just suppose to be Tekken Tag Tournament 2, while Online was suppose to be Tekken Ham Tournament 2. It's an online only version of the game and all you do is go Ham. Just do it, doesn't mater.

Tekken Ham Tournament 2: King of the Iron Ham Tournament.

Dereck

I figured it out guys. I understand now. Tekken Tag Tournament 2 doesn't have online. That was the secret all along. You see there are actually 2 games on one disk. They just labeled it wrong. Offline mode was clearly just suppose to be Tekken Tag Tournament 2, while Online was suppose to be Tekken Ham Tournament 2. It's an online only version of the game and all you do is go Ham. Just do it, doesn't mater.

Tekken Ham Tournament 2: King of the Iron Ham Tournament.
I think you and everyone else should watch this video. I will always remember this speech from Aris.

http://www.twitch.tv/avoidingthepuddle/b/351073969?t=162m00s

Top Bottom