• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

DEATH™

GGs famicom

I need a break... No matter how hard I train, find new tech or try to overcome something, I cannot overcome this darn hurdle... I can't really blame it all on the input lag since I've been dealing with this for a long time... But now my reflexes seem to deteriorate (missing more punishes than usual) and I lose myself when pressured despite knowing what I should do...

Guys I need help... how to overcome this? I find that this thing is not something I can train off practice mode...

GrayFoxPL

DEATH™;90795320 said:
Guys I need help... how to overcome this? I find that this thing is not something I can train off practice mode...

The only way I found is "I don't give a shit" attitude. When you don't care about losing, you don't panic so make cold decisions based on what you practiced instead of impulse button presses.

Hard to achieve that state of mind when you actually care about win-loss.

I tend to lose to amateur scrubs when I'm super tense about the fight. When I meet someone much higher ranked I tend to think "ok I lost that one, might as well fight him for shits and giggles" and ironically I win with them sometimes because I didn't stress about the outcome.

Then I ask myself "How did I win with that pro but lost to that noob?" Tsk!

AAK

With the technology always against you it's going to be so hard to improve. Technically with a game like Tekken, even backdash cancelling from one tv that lags to another will throw you off. I know it's a pain but seriously invest yourself in a monitor that won't lag.

Once you do that, then start setting up goals. Don't focus on winning. Try to focus on a skillset. Say "In this match I'm going to break at least 3 throws". Or "In this match I'm going to launch punish every slow low" "In this match I'm going to low parry every junkyard from Steve or Law" "In this match I will sidewalk everytime Lars goes into dynamic entry" etc.

It looks like you know your characters really well now, it's time to focus on the rest of the cast and learn how to beat all of them. It's not just about playing your game but playing your game in anticipation of what your opponent will do. I feel a game where you are just making hard reads would make do for something like VF and such, but that won't work for Tekken. You should be pretty well versed in all the characters and the match-ups. I guess work on that.

BTW, Sumo girl might still be a possibility:

http://www.avoidingthepuddle.com/ne...t-be-considered-for-tr-based-on.html#comments

AAK

yooo.... that WNF this week.... Just Frame James for President:

ifiP4zb00kqPy.gif

ibs9Hxb3SfsPzq.gif

The man was born to play Tekken.

I want to pick up Yoshi whenever I see JFJ play. But then I realize my Yoshi sucks...... :(

Yoshi requires an eccentric mindset which doesn't come included with normal Tekken training :D

Seriously though, there's definitely more investment required, mainly because he has so many ways to punish things that most can't. IE, beyond the simple 10f 12f 14f 15f punishers, you got a slew of Flash punishment to memorize too. Then there's all the frame traps, tricks, baits, tech traps, etc.

IMO, it creates a "I like Yoshi, but that's too much effort" reaction by most people.

Sayah

Yoshi requires an eccentric mindset which doesn't come included with normal Tekken training :D

Seriously though, there's definitely more investment required, mainly because he has so many ways to punish things that most can't. IE, beyond the simple 10f 12f 14f 15f punishers, you got a slew of Flash punishment to memorize too. Then there's all the frame traps, tricks, baits, tech traps, etc.

IMO, it creates a "I like Yoshi, but that's too much effort" reaction by most people.

That's pretty much the gist of it, haha.

Dereck

Tekken 4, I can't fucking believe this game, are you serious?

I was playing this with my co-worker on 720p on my PS3, the stages + character models + music >>>>>>>

I DIDN'T KNOW YOU COULD LOW PARRY IN TEKKEN 4 WAT

Degen

T4 nailed its presentation for sure

I was actually a little disappointed when T5 went back to goofy anime techno nonsense. The series keeps going in that same direction too

Sayah

T4 nailed its presentation for sure

I was actually a little disappointed when T5 went back to goofy anime techno nonsense. The series keeps going in that same direction too

Tekken 4 definitely had that going for it. The character designs were marvelous and the graphic direction was ahead of its time.

GrayFoxPL

iblcuKau0gG5bK.gif

We already talked about it but yeah, if "fans" didn't literally murder T4 and we got fixed version, then we'd be in totally different place now regarding Tekken style and game mechanics.

T4 was real Tekken Revolution.

Plus new costumes and appearances were fresh and awesome but noooo, characters must wear their 15 year old shit just because.

AAK

Tekken 4 in itself was a competitive failure with Jins everywhere. It was as bad as SF3 3rd Strike with Chun's everywhere followed by the occasional Yun or Ken. But at least 3rd Strike had parries to give some of the weaker characters sort of a fighting chance. I also don't think backdash cancelling was in it either... so the game pretty much forced you to play so aggressive.

But oh well, when it did work, the game did look pretty cool to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBi7v5Cf_s8

Also had one of my favorite combo videos.

But regardless, if it wasn't for Namco going back in time to make the dry T5... we would never have gotten this masterpiece that is TTT2 now.
At the same time who knows where Tekken would be if they stuck with the T4 system

GrayFoxPL

Tekken 4 in itself was a competitive failure with Jins everywhere. It was as bad as SF3 3rd Strike with Chun's everywhere followed by the occasional Yun or Ken. But at least 3rd Strike had parries to give some of the weaker characters sort of a fighting chance. I also don't think backdash cancelling was in it either... so the game pretty much forced you to play so aggressive.

But oh well, when it did work, the game did look pretty cool to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBi7v5Cf_s8

That's why I said "fixed version".

Tekken 5 got 2 fixed versions 5.1 and DR. T4 got no chance, zero. If I remember right T5 came out surprisingly quick after T4.

Edit:

My favorite combo vids:

Demon's Darkness

KYSG Tekken 4 Kazuya ACT 1

Tekken 4 Kazuya > All Kazuyas :]

Btw I wonder how T4 jin would fare in modern Tekken like 6, Tag2 or Revo.

Sayah

Oi!

Im back from by yearly banning. Who still plays Tekken? Setnomeesaj streams on thursdays. Anyone wanna play after turkey?

Welcome back again.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

I'll probably play a little now but yeah, I also got finals and papers to worry about. It's not a real break for me. :(

DEATH™;91699726 said:
And yes AAK... bought an ASUS monitor. Gonna hit practice mode when I receive it...

Good man! I have the VH236H model, and it lives up to its reputation.

From when I first played Tekken on it, it in fact did feel more responsive in comparison to my previous display which had a pretty shoddy response time. This made not only combos easier to execute but reacting to pretty anything much easier.

Sayah

DEATH™;91699726 said:
Hey Sayah, Degen, Bout or anybody... Sorry to interrupt the yearly Turkey Stuffing but the Tekken Hybrid TE + two Tekken/SC games would be sold at 59.99 dollars... BUY EEEEEET..

http://store.namcobandaigames.com/s...AJJ73cwAAADK&rests=1385694136387#.UpgDwZFivwI

And yes AAK... bought an ASUS monitor. Gonna hit practice mode when I receive it...

I just bought it. :)
Great deal. Thank you Namco.

I get the feeling playing with a stick will be really weird but maybe now I can have better luck with flapping butterfly..............maybe. I've been sucking at TTT2 very immensely, though. Probably not a good idea to play Tekken after a long day of work and school. AAK, on the other hand, is beastin.

GrayFoxPL

I think I'm fucked. :(

My one and only pad I'm capable of using for Tekken broke 3 times last 2 weeks.

First the 3 face buttons got stuck. I asked dad to try to fix it. He took it apart and the button rubber was destroyed after tens thousands of presses. We replaced it from other broken pad.

Then "left" on the dpad stopped responding. "Dad please fix it somehow!" He did.

Today I noticed something wrong with the dpad. I couldn't do any moves with command back,forward or forward, back. Wtf? I push all directions with moves, everything works.

I turn on command display and see the horror. When I try to do simple b,f the commands show inputs for like 5-8 directions, like half circle forward from up side and shit like that! I even tried to focus to press b,f as briefly as possible. Nothing.

Dad didn't do anything other then rotated the dpad rubber it just became so soft from pressing, that you can blow on the dpad to make it register.

Dpad became so loose you need a Buddhist monk zen concentration skills to register simple b,f without inputs going batshit crazy.

So right now I can play like Kazuya and Kazuya :[.

AAK

DEATH™;91699726 said:

Yo Congrats! Welcome to the real TTT2!

I just bought it. :)
Great deal. Thank you Namco.

I get the feeling playing with a stick will be really weird but maybe now I can have better luck with flapping butterfly..............maybe. I've been sucking at TTT2 very immensely, though. Probably not a good idea to play Tekken after a long day of work and school. AAK, on the other hand, is beastin.

Haha thanks, but I did end up in a losing streak after that.... some of it was due to blocking -10~-12 moves and trying to punish with lag against me resulting in my opponents managing to duck and launch me after :(

First the 3 face buttons got stuck. I asked dad to try to fix it. He took it apart and the button rubber was destroyed after tens thousands of presses. We replaced it from other broken pad.

Then "left" on the dpad stopped responding. "Dad please fix it somehow!" He did.

Today I noticed something wrong with the dpad. I couldn't do any moves with command back,forward or forward, back. Wtf? I push all directions with moves, everything works.

I turn on command display and see the horror. When I try to do simple b,f the commands show inputs for like 5-8 directions, like half circle forward from up side and shit like that! I even tried to focus to press b,f as briefly as possible. Nothing.

Dad didn't do anything other then rotated the dpad rubber it just became so soft from pressing, that you can blow on the dpad to make it register.

Dpad became so loose you need a Buddhist monk zen concentration skills to register simple b,f without inputs going batshit crazy.

Damn :( Guess it's time to start roughing up your other controllers!

GrayFoxPL

Damn :( Guess it's time to start roughing up your other controllers!

Yeah.

If you'd know how many controllers I bought just for Tekken you'd say I'm a nutcase.

Boxes, boxes full of controllers. It's always the same scenario. I buy controller - "bad dpad" - lands in the box.

Only logitech precision pc usb pad has potentially good dpads for me, but they stopped producing them, replacing with similar ones but either they don't work with ps3 anymore or most of them are broken. These are the ones we took apart to fix my old pad.

I have a "last chance idea".
Noticed that the stiffens of the dpads mostly depend on how hard the rubber is under it.
I think that maybe if I took the hard stiff rubber from other good otherwise controllers and put it into hot water to soften it then maybe, just maybe It'll be good enough for my weak mouse like muscles to menage.

Worth a try. I'll just hunt more of the used logitech remnants in online auctions for now.

Ps. I bought both SF4 and TxSF fightpads. The mold is such a piece of shit I can't even hold it.

Oemenia

Banned
Hey guys I ordered a copy of the game but an Essentials copy arrived instead, what are the differences?

Can I expect the DLC to be on disc?

Sayah

I've gone through 3 dualshocks (this generation) just because of Tekken, lol. My current one is messed up now. Dropping so many combos.

Well so much for that namco sale. Out of stock on controller already, and half the tekken games (which was only T6 and Tag2 anyways).

Damn.

There were only 1000 of those sticks produced and if they're out of stock, then I imagine they won't be having anymore despite the sale lasting till Dec. 2.

I'm happy I got in on the deal on time.
Actually, I bought mostly Namco stuff during this sale season (TTT2 Wii U, SCV, Tekken Hybrid Stick, Ni No Kuni, and Tales of Xillia).

I was so close to buying a 3DS XL from Target but I need to save that money for tuition.......My eyes will also thank me later.

DEATH™

Played online in a relative's house with around people who can't be stopped using their interwebs... it's horrible...

Please spare yourselves and don't do that to yourselves...

Tekken 4, I can't fucking believe this game, are you serious?

I was playing this with my co-worker on 720p on my PS3, the stages + character models + music >>>>>>>

I DIDN'T KNOW YOU COULD LOW PARRY IN TEKKEN 4 WAT

I love Tekken 4. The presentation of that game is the best of the series IMO. I was disappointed when Tekken 5 went back to the full on goofy shit (as opposed to the half goofy tone of Tekken 3 and prior)

I tried playing tekken after turkey, but I fell into a food coma. I just woke up.

Thanks for all the well wishes. Hope you guys had a great time with your families and friends.

GrayFoxPL

If only I could play Tekken 4 online with you guys.

May be possible on PS2 emulator, but I'm not sure. I stopped dabbling in emulators many years ago when I realized I'm spending every second tweaking the emulator to get 1-2fps more or fixing glitches rather then playing the games.

I remember online play was possible on ps1 emus (and almost everything below ps1).

Top Bottom