• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

Sayah

how about jun/michelle? right now my tekken learning process is pretty basic, which is learning how to back dash cancel and then at least one bnb before going on into tag combos.

If you like Jun, sure. Any team can really work in this game. And even after a year and a half after TTT2's release, there are still a lot of team combinations that I have yet to see fully explored.

OH wow, the TTT2 grand finals at WNF were incredible. One of the greatest sets I've ever seen between two people. There were a lot of mistakes but the intense mindgames and movement execution by both players was unparalleled.

Top 3 starts here:

www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/502981550?t=1h38m35s

Just watched this. So much intensity.

Internal cards are not for everyone, I went with the internal for 2 reasons.

1. It minimizes clutter, and since I'm also using a HDCP splitter, that's one less thing I have to worry about getting in the way.

2. It's extremely convenient, and I don't have to continuously plug it up whenever I want to record something.

That does sound nice.

Degen

My new Hori FC3 showed up yesterday. The blue one looks nice. They're still not down to their Day 1 price, but they aren't as expensive as they used to be

I can play tonight... possibly. Not sure when I'll get back from the GF's, and I also need to remind myself about how to play Tekken lol

GrayFoxPL

I played whole day tag2 with the best of 6 pads I bought now. Or rather trying playing(practice mode).

I won't lie, I cried for a second from the depression.
I could barely move, forget backdash canceling. I couldn't do (regular) wind god fist from p1 side at all. After 2 hours I could do it, but it's so telegraphed man, I think I use all the frames of forward,neutral. Down on the pad is so hard to push for me I can't freely sidestep this way, worse - I can't quickly crouch and block lows. Things I ducked on reaction, now I watch hitting me, though my finger is hitting db from muscle memory, but not strong enough to register. I can't dash in combos at all. Like I always did dash demo man after bound, now the same muscle memory results in dash 4, because down doesn't register. Now I can't do b,f motions from p2 side, but only on p1 side(?). After playing all the time on p2 side (2 years?) I must switch back to p1.

Everything is nightmare. Slow, slow nightmare. After ~7 hours of training I played with 15% of my normal efficiency. Non Mishima characters play bit easier, but I like Mishimas, I don't want to go back to Lars and shit. Fuck Lars.

I went online, quick player match. I could beat total noobs, but once someone half decent show up I got destroyed, because I couldn't do shit like block telegraphed snake edge, tough I saw it like in slow motion.

I will try and try to improve until my hands fall off, but I feel terrible. Like I'm disabled in both real life and Tekken.

I know, first world problems, but Tekken means so much for me.

iktNykOPfPRBn.gif

AAK

Imagine that same feeling happening to you in tournament ;)

I was stupid enough to put my arcade stick in the same bag I kept my clothes instead of my backpack and the greyhound dude just threw that bag into luggage compartment of the bus. I thought it would be ok since arcade sticks are meant to be durable. Once I get to the tournament I look for the casual stations. I finally see one seat available and it's right next to.... KOR! I'm all excited finally playing a world class player and when I put my arcade stick in the PS3 is no longer recognizing it. After looking like an idiot to everyone at the casual stations I went over to a workbench where a couple of dudes were dual modding people's sticks for $80. They say a certain wire has been damaged and I'll have to wait a while before they can get to my stick to fix it.... and the tournament had just started. So there I was struggling on pad for my first 2 matches before the stick got fixed. Luckily I got to play two people who didn't know how to block low or throws and Julia is such a glorious character against them.... but yes, I know that feeling of where you know what you want to do to play Tekken... but nothing is coming out the way you want it. And it's truly a horrifying feeling :(

Luckily when my stick got fixed I managed to make it to top 8... only to get ravaged by my demon Rami.... EVERY TOURNAMENT HE'S MY GATEKEEPER!

GrayFoxPL

Imagine that same feeling happening to you in tournament ;)

I was stupid enough to put my arcade stick in the same bag I kept my clothes instead of my backpack and the greyhound dude just threw that bag into luggage compartment of the bus. I thought it would be ok since arcade sticks are meant to be durable. Once I get to the tournament I look for the casual stations. I finally see one seat available and it's right next to.... KOR! I'm all excited finally playing a world class player and when I put my arcade stick in the PS3 is no longer recognizing it. After looking like an idiot to everyone at the casual stations I went over to a workbench where a couple of dudes were dual modding people's sticks for $80. They say a certain wire has been damaged and I'll have to wait a while before they can get to my stick to fix it.... and the tournament had just started. So there I was struggling on pad for my first 2 matches before the stick got fixed. Luckily I got to play two people who didn't know how to block low or throws and Julia is such a glorious character against them.... but yes, I know that feeling of where you know what you want to do to play Tekken... but nothing is coming out the way you want it. And it's truly a horrifying feeling :(

Luckily when my stick got fixed I managed to make it to top 8... only to get ravaged by my demon Rami.... EVERY TOURNAMENT HE'S MY GATEKEEPER!

Woah.

Nice that you pulled through. I'd lost first match.

DEATH™

This thread should never get to page 3 in Community.

Well, everyone's on midterm mode to notice lol

But yeah... I am currently practicing throwbreaking still... no matter what I do, I still feel my training is not enough lol.

At least I can juggle off King CH db3 now... and I am still practicing getting the CH b1 SS, CH shove b+3 and CH ffn2 throw (the canned throw was surprisingly easy... I input ffn2 with a 1+2 after everytime now like f3 DDT. Works everytime I get a CH. Then u, d, n 3+4 followup was easy like converting AK's 2+4 throw everytime. Darn that low becomes sooo nasty on CH with a canned 50 damage throw and sick oki.)

The more I play with King, the more I see his ceiling becoming waaay too high...

Also, AAK or Wonkey or anyone, any resources on how to do Kings wavedash? I can do it on right side but I input it so fast that I don't even know what directions I input lol. Now I'm trying to do it on the left but I am still struggling.

DEATH™;101018303 said:
Well, everyone's on midterm mode to notice lol

But yeah... I am currently practicing throwbreaking still... no matter what I do, I still feel my training is not enough lol.

At least I can juggle off King CH db3 now... and I am still practicing getting the CH b1 SS, CH shove b+3 and CH ffn2 throw (the canned throw was surprisingly easy... I input ffn2 with a 1+2 after everytime now like f3 DDT. Works everytime I get a CH. Then u, d, n 3+4 followup was easy like converting AK's 2+4 throw everytime. Darn that low becomes sooo nasty on CH with a canned 50 damage throw and sick oki.)

The more I play with King, the more I see his ceiling becoming waaay too high...

Also, AAK or Wonkey or anyone, any resources on how to do Kings wavedash? I can do it on right side but I input it so fast that I don't even know what directions I input lol. Now I'm trying to do it on the left but I am still struggling.

Hopefully this vid helps

http://youtu.be/xMtFCy8LreM

AAK

@ Death Sorry man, I have no idea about any King tutorials. I'm sure you can tweet a message to Aris. I remember him saying a certain video about a renowned King player doing a ridiculous wavedash with him.

But personally speaking, looking at a video of other people executing movement doesn't really help me. It's all just about practicing over and over again and properly refining it as you play.

DEATH™

It doesn't work for King though, but thank you... besides I "discovered" how it works now...

It blew my mind that we CAN DO a crouchdash without neutral if done fast enough. Instead of f, n, d, df I can do f, df, d, df ala Street fighter. If done fast enough, it will show up as f, d, df on the command history. I can use this for a wavedash and it works forchars with regular wavedash, including king.

now I just gotta practice lol

Dereck

When I migrated to my PS4 PSN account, I did not plan on playing ranked ever again. I already had achieved more than I was actually aiming for (which was 8 dan). My favorite team in this game is Slim Bob/Forest Law. Forest Law < Marshall Law, but Forest Law to me to easier to play with. My DSS is average, I can use it to my advantage, but with the DSS, if you're even a little slow, it's going to fuck you in an actual fight. I use Slim Bob because no one uses him, Bob > Slim Bob.

I went online with FL/SB just to see how far I could get without losing. I think I got to 35W/0L until I got to Mentor and lost to a solo Jin. Out of those first 35 matches, I almost lost a lot of them, but I came back each time just through patience/luck/whiff punishing. It surprises me that, just by knowing a little about the majority of the characters in the game can help you win a match. I know about that Feng, high, high, low kick string which is launch punishable on the last hit.

I know about that (I think), high, high, low, mixup that Lili users use. They usually don't finish the string, and the last hit is supposed to bait a duck. I found out that that string is pointless if you can beat the low with a hopkick. I actually won a match doing that.
Right now, I am 10 dan with FL/SB, with 68W/11L. I don't plan on playing ranked anymore, and this has shown me my progression in this game. Before my record was 50% with about 130W/130L, now it's only expected that my win record would be better, what is more important here however is my progression like I just said.

I won a few matches by punishing awful strings, it was almost like the wins were handed to me. Just by looking at a string, sometimes I can tell if it's unsafe. Most of the ones that I guessed on, I guessed right. There is no point to attacking in a ranked battle if the player is just going to keep doing unsafe bullshit.

EDIT: I just achieved an over 70 dmg combo with Lee

DEATH™;101201270 said:
It blew my mind that we CAN DO a crouchdash without neutral if done fast enough. Instead of f, n, d, df I can do f, df, d, df ala Street fighter. If done fast enough, it will show up as f, d, df on the command history. I can use this for a wavedash and it works forchars with regular wavedash, including king.

now I just gotta practice lol

Good luck with that, I tried to do it in like 5 minutes of P Mode with King and I gave up lol. I believe the player AAK is referring to is Snap who did some really fast wavedashes back in T5 but I can't seem to find the videos of him doing it. Did find this though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvu4maj5I34

Jeeeeeeeezus.

Manbig

Well until Kadey resolves those issues, I can host a room for everyone tonights if anyone wants. I probably won't be able to play much in it, but I have no issue letting it roll for a little while.

When I migrated to my PS4 PSN account, I did not plan on playing ranked ever again. I already had achieved more than I was actually aiming for (which was 8 dan). My favorite team in this game is Slim Bob/Forest Law. Forest Law < Marshall Law, but Forest Law to me to easier to play with. My DSS is average, I can use it to my advantage, but with the DSS, if you're even a little slow, it's going to fuck you in an actual fight. I use Slim Bob because no one uses him, Bob > Slim Bob.

I went online with FL/SB just to see how far I could get without losing. I think I got to 35W/0L until I got to Mentor and lost to a solo Jin. Out of those first 35 matches, I almost lost a lot of them, but I came back each time just through patience/luck/whiff punishing. It surprises me that, just by knowing a little about the majority of the characters in the game can help you win a match. I know about that Feng, high, high, low kick string which is launch punishable on the last hit.

I know about that (I think), high, high, low, mixup that Lili users use. They usually don't finish the string, and the last hit is supposed to bait a duck. I found out that that string is pointless if you can beat the low with a hopkick. I actually won a match doing that.
Right now, I am 10 dan with FL/SB, with 68W/11L. I don't plan on playing ranked anymore, and this has shown me my progression in this game. Before my record was 50% with about 130W/130L, now it's only expected that my win record would be better, what is more important here however is my progression like I just said.

I won a few matches by punishing awful strings, it was almost like the wins were handed to me. Just by looking at a string, sometimes I can tell if it's unsafe. Most of the ones that I guessed on, I guessed right. There is no point to attacking in a ranked battle if the player is just going to keep doing unsafe bullshit.

Haha, I made a dummy account and got to a higher rank than my main one in like, an afternoon. I wasn't sure whether to feel good or bad about that.

Sometimes it feels like you haven't learned anything at all, but every now and then there's that moment that shows how far you've come. Nowadays I only play casuals with people in my friends list, and there's this one guy who I used to be completely hopeless against. Now I can beat him regularly. He even gets salty about it occasionally. Feels good man.

Manbig

So for anyone interested in Marduk, I learned some interesting stuff in Bronson's stream today.

Marduk can only block instantly in VTS when transitioned from moves like 1,2, 3+4 and SS2, 3+4, but you still have to hold back.

However... If you just go into VTS in the open with 3+4, he CANNOT block unless he cancels back into standing.

I'm pretty sure I have been launched several times because I didn't know about this dumb rule, but at least now I know.

Another great bit of info that Bronson shared is that Mr. Naps told him that when tagging into Marduk, going into VTS and tapping d/b to cancel it ASAP recovers just as quickly as Steve's flicker cancel and Lei's HAHA step cancel off of tag out. This puts Marduk in the top tier of safe raw tags away from the wall, BUT messing up the input can get you a d/b+3+4 instead, which will get you killed.

So, yeah... Hope somebody finds that info useful. Perhaps I'll make a video about it in the future.

So for anyone interested in Marduk, I learned some interesting stuff in Bronson's stream today.

Marduk can only block instantly in VTS when transitioned from moves like 1,2, 3+4 and SS2, 3+4, but you still have to hold back.

However... If you just go into VTS in the open with 3+4, he CANNOT block unless he cancels back into standing.

I'm pretty sure I have been launched several times because I didn't know about this dumb rule, but at least now I know.

Another great bit of info that Bronson shared is that Mr. Naps told him that when tagging into Marduk, going into VTS and tapping d/b to cancel it ASAP recovers just as quickly as Steve's flicker cancel and Lei's HAHA step cancel off of tag out. This puts Marduk in the top tier of safe raw tags away from the wall, BUT messing up the input can get you a d/b+3+4 instead, which will get you killed.

So, yeah... Hope somebody finds that info useful. Perhaps I'll make a video about it in the future.

I'm still not sure I understand tag cancels. They evade before you would otherwise be able to block? So its like crouch cancelling in that its just a faster way of getting out of the previous animation?

Manbig

I'm still not sure I understand tag cancels. They evade before you would otherwise be able to block? So its like crouch cancelling in that its just a faster way of getting out of the previous animation?

When you tag out, you can do a move way before you can actually block. This is why people almost always do some form of attack or counter off of raw tags in the open.

The thing is, stance transitions are included in that rule. Because of that, a few characters have some strong options to make them recovery very quickly off of raw tag. Mr. Naps streamed the Steve flicker cancel example a long time ago. He used Lars' u/f3 because he considers that the best anti raw tag option in the game since it's a knee that beats counters, a low crush that beats crouch jabs, a high crush that goes under standing jabs, and it is a particularly fast move.

With Steve coming in and doing an instant transition into flicker stance and canceling into stand block though, the Lars player would have to predict a tag to beat it because it is pretty much impossible to react and punish it due to Steve recovering so quickly.

So yeah... Hope that makes sense.

Gambit61

When you tag out, you can do a move way before you can actually block. This is why people almost always do some form of attack or counter off of raw tags in the open.

The thing is, stance transitions are included in that rule. Because of that, a few characters have some strong options to make them recovery very quickly off of raw tag. Mr. Naps streamed the Steve flicker cancel example a long time ago. He used Lars' u/f3 because he considers that the best anti raw tag option in the game because it's a knee that beats counters, a low crush that beats crouch jabs, a high crush that goes under standing jabs, and it is a particularly fast move.

With Steve coming in and down a instant transition into flicker stand and cancel into stand block though, the Lars player would have to predict a tag to beat it because it is pretty much impossible to react and punish it due to Steve recovering so quickly.

OMG thanks for sharing that. Lately my friend has been launching me almost every time I try punishing his raw tags and it made no sense to me. He's even done JC's hopkick, completely whiff since I was waiting on the ground to safely raw tag, then immediately hopkick again and launched my tagged in character even though I was just standing there blocking and her first kick whiffed.

DEATH™

Good luck with that, I tried to do it in like 5 minutes of P Mode with King and I gave up lol. I believe the player AAK is referring to is Snap who did some really fast wavedashes back in T5 but I can't seem to find the videos of him doing it. Did find this though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvu4maj5I34

Jeeeeeeeezus.

Don't give up man... and BUY KOREAN STICK.

but yeah, I can do King wavedash now going to the left, my problem right now is going to the right. It takes a while getting used to these wavedash notation, but It's achievable and, if you ask me, more practical than I initialy thought. (Before I think King wavedash is just something legends can only do and its more of just flash than substance... Not that I'm saying I'm a legend, but it's easier and more practically feasible than I originally thought)

Big thanks to Budding Fighter for pushing me to train for this and Lil Majin for his timeless wisdom (he's the only guy who provided the f, df, d, df notation, tried snap notation and it only works up close).

The thing is, stance transitions are included in that rule. Because of that, a few characters have some strong options to make them recovery very quickly off of raw tag. Mr. Naps streamed the Steve flicker cancel example a long time ago. He used Lars' u/f3 because he considers that the best anti raw tag option in the game since it's a knee that beats counters, a low crush that beats crouch jabs, a high crush that goes under standing jabs, and it is a particularly fast move.

With Steve coming in and doing an instant transition into flicker stance and canceling into stand block though, the Lars player would have to predict a tag to beat it because it is pretty much impossible to react and punish it due to Steve recovering so quickly.

Okay, good to know. I've recently adopted the lame raw tag into hopkick strat because it seems to work. At least now I know why. :p

I wonder if Feng's shifting clouds stances would be a good option. b+3+4 has built in backsway and f+3+4 parries mid/high strings.

sasuke_91

When I first played you and AAK, I really thought you could be at my level of skill, since you were "just a marauder".
Never have I been so wrong...

Sayah

hm what would jaycee and alisa used as their TA bounds? i saw a jaycee doing db 1+2, 1+2. no clue about alisa. maybe her 1+2?

Alisa usually uses b+4,3. Jaycee has a variety of options but usually it's the windroll combo into bound. Though, any bound move can be turned into a TA.

Or do you mean tag assault fillers. In that case, Alisa has a vast variety of options and is possibly one of the best TA filler characters in the game. Jaycee is arguably one of the worst TA filler characters in the game.

I can make a combo video for them if you'd like.

nah its cool. right now im just messing around with random character's command lists. dr. bosconovitch is amazing now lol.

dont think i can play online either. that borrowed ttt2 lol. oh well. i think my local scene has ... some people that play tekken.

Top Bottom