• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

AAK

Bronson's Vietnamese, Jimmy is Chinese. They're not brothers ;) The grand finals though were a blast to watch.

Did some research on homeplugs. Man, that's a genius idea. Unfortunately they are kinda pricey. The cheapest one I can get would be like $70. I'm not exactly swimming in cash either. I think I'll do some testing with some matches online before biting the bullet.

Dereck

Question for Tekken GAF:

When you do a launcher, whether it's df+2, or a CH launcher, or a low launcher, or anything, do you always plan ahead as if the launcher would land, or do you spontaneously do a combo after a launcher if it lands?

Doomshine

I think it depends on the launcher. Like Bryan's CH f+3 you have forever to react to it, but with something like Ganryu's ff+1+2 I have to be ready if I want the max damage.

sasuke_91

I think it depends on the launcher. Like Bryan's CH f+3 you have forever to react to it, but with something like Ganryu's ff+1+2 I have to be ready if I want the max damage.

Same for me. Steve's ch b1 or ch f3,2 give me a lot of time to react, whereas Xiao's ch uf4 is not clear for me immediately, so I'll go with ff1+2,1+2 either way.

I'm not that kind of strategic player though, so I go with what feels right in a situation^^

AAK

What doomshine said. Also, you have to be aware of the fact that you may have done a launcher that's slightly off axis, and you need to modify your combo in real time to make the most out of it. This can be VERY common when you duck certain moves like Bryan's f,f+4.

In other news, I just found out one of Toronto's best players now plays Lei. Dammit... now I REALLY have to figure that character out.

GrayFoxPL

Bronson's Vietnamese, Jimmy is Chinese. They're not brothers ;) The grand finals though were a blast to watch.

Did some research on homeplugs. Man, that's a genius idea. Unfortunately they are kinda pricey. The cheapest one I can get would be like $70. I'm not exactly swimming in cash either. I think I'll do some testing with some matches online before biting the bullet.

Tekken bros though! ;)

Question for Tekken GAF:

When you do a launcher, whether it's df+2, or a CH launcher, or a low launcher, or anything, do you always plan ahead as if the launcher would land, or do you spontaneously do a combo after a launcher if it lands?

I practice my combos and hit confirms on my launchers pretty often so I can be ready. Comes with the territory of playing Bruce. Or anyone really, specifically when walls are involved.

Dereck

I was rooting for Inkog the whole time.

OByCnYK.gif

Lumine

So about that Pokken..

You know, I had to stop myself from posting this in that Pokken thread. Whatever it may be, people seem to think it might very well be a Tekken game with Pokemon characters. I didn't want to be a dick about it and rain on their parade, but personally I hope it's not true. It would be the least interesting direction a new Tekken game could take. I can't wait to see what Tekken 7 will be like and I'd love to see the Tekken team develop a completely new fighting game franchise even. But Tekken with Pokemon? That just sounds like cheap fan service to me.

Any Tekken fans agree with me or am I just being a negative nancy about this? :p

AAK

^^^ Personally I don't want a new Tekken game for a very long time. There's still so much more for TTT2 to offer. However, TTT2 had the least amount of new players come into the scene out of any other Tekken game in the past so maybe it is needed for the preservation of the series IDK. About Pokken... I doubt it'll play anything like Tekken so I'm not looking too much into it honestly.

Damn...

Dereck

So about that Pokken..

You know, I had to stop myself from posting this in that Pokken thread. Whatever it may be, people seem to think it might very well be a Tekken game with Pokemon characters. I didn't want to be a dick about it and rain on their parade, but personally I hope it's not true. It would be the least interesting direction a new Tekken game could take. I can't wait to see what Tekken 7 will be like and I'd love to see the Tekken team develop a completely new fighting game franchise even. But Tekken with Pokemon? That just sounds like cheap fan service to me.

Any Tekken fans agree with me or am I just being a negative nancy about this? :p
Why is the only information about Pokken that one gif? Where is it from? What is it?

Mr. Naps was kind of crumbling against Inkog at first, unsurprisingly he cleaned it up at the end. That last match was back and forth launch punishing. Really makes me re-evaluate Bryan as a character.

AAK

Starscream HAD that match. He blocked AKing's b+1,2. He could have d/f+2'd that with Hwoarang and that would have killed Majin.

EDIT: Wow never mind, b+1,2 is only -12. I thought it would be launch.

sasuke_91

I wish I could play Hwoarang/Jin like that.

I played with a Vanquisher Hwo/Lee yesterday and the way he destroyed me... wow^^
He did give me some helpful advice, though.

Doomshine

Starscream got a little too greedy at times (or forgot) when he could've safely tagged out.

Also looks like Jinpachi will be my new partner for Dragunov.

I'm sorry

Why is the only information about Pokken that one gif? Where is it from? What is it?

Mr. Naps was kind of crumbling against Inkog at first, unsurprisingly he cleaned it up at the end. That last match was back and forth launch punishing. Really makes me re-evaluate Bryan as a character.
I always thought that Bryan was underrated. Really solid with great range and tracking.

GrayFoxPL

I'm thinking of picking up Death By Degrees, is it any good?

Depends if you can handle the controls. You whack right stick in the desired direction for Nina to pull of strings in that direction. You move with left stick and make evades by tapping direction and going back to neutral. For some moves like multi CQC throws you need to combine right stick with R1 L1. But you don't have to master the whole moveset, few whacking strings are enough for the opponents. Besides Nina can find and equip weapons ranging from tonfas, double katanas, to rifles and uzis etc. You can just shoot the suckers by pointing the right stick.

Other part of game is your oldschool Resident Evil style game. Most similar to Dino Crisis imo. Lots of electronic locks, key cards, finger prints. That sort of thing. Lots of going here, keycard there, code somewhere else, wtf is this puzzle, oh sniper segment! etc.

You can also buy new moves, upgrade Nina's stuff, mini rpg element, the usual.

I like this game, it has really senselessly complicated fighting controls, but makes fun use of Nina as a character that plays like a Nikita. Also I like cut scenes in this.
Finally the game introduces absolutely best version of
Anna
, totally redesigned and badass. Love her here. Bonus features after finishing a game are also cool.

But I'm warning you. It's not "modern" game, as it's cumbersome, has lots of backtracking, not much hand holding. Fighting is easy, going right way and doing right shit it's what's difficult. I was replaying this few months ago and I got lost, even if I finished it twice years ago, lol.

Negative on Bryan's tracking being great. Seeing as how you're a Lili player though, I don't blame you for making that mistake. ANYTHING is better than Lili's tracking. :p

Hmm, It's most likely just online, but I find it difficult stepping him. Still think he is underrated though.

Sayah

Almost done with this semester. Just one more exam and one more paper to go. I'm so burned out. :/

Hope everything is going well for others busy with school life.
Aris is might be the best Tekken commentator.

Fixed for accuracy.

So about that Pokken..

Yeah, I don't know why people are even assuming it's going to be anything like Tekken.

Almost done with this semester. Just one more exam and one more paper to go. I'm so burned out. :/

Hope everything is going well for others busy with school life.

Fixed for accuracy.

Yeah, I don't know why people are even assuming it's going to be anything like Tekken.
Me too! Just one final to go for me. 8:00 AM, though. :(

I'm thinking of picking up Death By Degrees, is it any good?

I think GrayFox described the game perfectly. Personally, I think it is a solid game and it's fun once you get the hang of the unique analog-flicking control scheme. It is reminiscent of the old school beat em ups, so that is probably one of the reasons I enjoyed it so much. I actually liked DBD, but I am sure that the controls might not appeal to everyone. As explained, you have to press the analog in the direction of your opponents to get Nina to fight. It has some slick moves and even some depth once you get deeper into the game and start learning new moves, but as I said the gameplay is definitely unique compared to most modern games.

AAK

That was Mohammed. The guy whose PSN is ElNeef. We were practicing for Toryuken 3 ;)

Damn Pair play is so frustrating lol, he kept tagging himself in!

EDIT: I'm just a scrub and my opinion is definitely wrong... but regardless this is my TTT2 tier list:

ibvqGNYLqt0VYJ.png

AAK

LOL, yeah you're right... Lee isn't as hard to play as I was thinking. I guess at the time I was focusing on the JF punishes and b+2 combo's too much.

As for Steve, I personally think he demands more thinking to get his offense started. As a Hwoarang player... I think speedkicks said it best: "Even Hwoarang players don't know what they're going to be doing before they do it". We all tend to throw out stuff from his stances just because we can. The logic behind this is that if even we don't know what we're going to do, it'll be even harder for our opponent to make reads on us. This play style for me is "easy" because it demands less mental processing. I can't say the same about Steve whom I think has to make legitimate plays and reads.

About Xiaoyu... she's BS online just because lag makes AOP u.f+3,1 a safe, invincible, launcher *grumble* but that stuff won't work offline. But to compensate that I think Xiaoyu players really need to work hard on the dances and cancels to outwit their opponent. And then that's before how awkward their combo's have to be.

But again... I'm just a scrub and I'm pretty sure I'm wrong about everything... just my opinion :p

GrayFoxPL

That was Mohammed. The guy whose PSN is ElNeef. We were practicing for Toryuken 3 ;)

Damn Pair play is so frustrating lol, he kept tagging himself in!

EDIT: I'm just a scrub and my opinion is definitely wrong... but regardless this is my TTT2 tier list:

ibvqGNYLqt0VYJ.png

Interesting tier list. I'm willing to agree.

Wait.

Alisa higher then Raven, Michelle, Lili, Miguel, Ganryu, Beak, Jun, Xiaoyu, Zafina, Yoshimitsu?

ibwTKzSGZAp8b1.gif

Can't agree, IMO Alisa is scraping the bottom.

Good games Sasuke, your Xiaoyu is very difficult to read now. I'm scared to try hit her out of AOP, dat uf+3,1 is killing me, lol.

I must do something with my pad, the left direction stops responding in critical situations ><.

sasuke_91

About Xiaoyu... she's BS online just because lag makes AOP u.f+3,1 a safe, invincible, launcher *grumble* but that stuff won't work offline. But to compensate that I think Xiaoyu players really need to work hard on the dances and cancels to outwit their opponent. And then that's before how awkward their combo's have to be.

Good games Sasuke, your Xiaoyu is very difficult to read now. I'm scared to try hit her out of AOP, dat uf+3,1 is killing me, lol.
So I'm THAT kind of player xD

I think you're right, AAK. Hwoarang's mix-up is something that just comes out the way it does. I have to be careful not to throw too many duckable highs at my opponent, though.
Hwoarang is amazing.

I abuse Steve's f2,1 into flicker stance/peek-a-boo stance a lot. It's basically my weapon for everything. Oh, and I try to land random counterhits between my opponent's attack, I may have to think that over in the future^^

Edit: Is there really such a huge difference between Anna and Nina or the two Laws? They seem way too similar to me to be so far away from each other^^

I think you're right, AAK. Hwoarang's mix-up is something that just comes out the way it does. I have to be careful not to throw too many duckable highs at my opponent, though.
Hwoarang is amazing.

I abuse Steve's f2,1 into flicker stance/peek-a-boo stance a lot. It's basically my weapon for everything. Oh, and I try to land random counterhits between my opponent's attack, I may have to think that over in the future^^

Edit: Is there really such a huge difference between Anna and Nina or the two Laws? They seem way too similar to me to be so far away from each other^^

Anna and Nina are completely different characters, and Nina's best stuff has some of the toughest execution requirements in the game. Marshall Law has DSS and all of the technical stuff that comes with that, whereas Forest does not.

Sayah

Interesting tier list AAK. I agree with a lot of it.

Hwoarang is amazing.

Nah son, Anna and Nina are completely different.

Anna is interestingly one of those characters whose tier ranking can change based on who she's partnered with. Particularly if you can get characters who can bound from her CR d/f+2, d+3,2 (i.e. Jinpachi, Heihachi, Zafina, Nina). Although the netsu will suck with Nina, the synergy is really great.

In my personal opinion, I think Heihachi is the best partner for Anna.

Anna is interestingly one of those characters whose tier ranking can change based on who she's partnered with. (i.e. Jinpachi,)

That dude right there. He's stupid good on just about every team. Tag fillers, wall juice, wall splats, 50/50s, punishment, and all for such a small movelist. I rated him higher than AO as a partner for Yoshi because he exceeds in every area as AO AND is able to extend off low launchers like you said.

One of Yoshi's cool things is the string 3~4~U DGF 2~5, allowing the partner to do red damage off of any launcher. Being able to convert almost all of the initial damage to red bar AND do it easily is just bonkers to me. That means scoring an early sword sweep in the round leads to like 50% red life lost with that team. Other characters can follow up too, but the execution is way harder OR less damage.

The temptation to play Jinpachi/Yoshi is almost too much. I just don't want a character like Jinpachi carrying the team. I know it sounds like pure ego, but what's the point of playing a character like Yoshi/Lei/Xiaoyu etc when you have Captain Badass doing all the work.

Wait.

Alisa higher then Raven, Michelle, Lili, Miguel, Ganryu, Beak, Jun, Xiaoyu, Zafina, Yoshimitsu?

ibwTKzSGZAp8b1.gif
Love this reaction, lol'd

sasuke_91

Anna and Nina are completely different characters, and Nina's best stuff has some of the toughest execution requirements in the game. Marshall Law has DSS and all of the technical stuff that comes with that, whereas Forest does not.

Nah son, Anna and Nina are completely different.

Anna is interestingly one of those characters whose tier ranking can change based on who she's partnered with. Particularly if you can get characters who can bound from her CR d/f+2, d+3,2 (i.e. Jinpachi, Heihachi, Zafina, Nina). Although the netsu will suck with Nina, the synergy is really great.

In my personal opinion, I think Heihachi is the best partner for Anna.

Okay, seems like I was totally wrong about Anna/Nina. I guess that shows how much I know about the characters I don't play myself ^^"
Thanks for the explanation.

AAK

Yeah, GG's man. Towards the end you were really making crazy reads on me and I had to get all scummy with the throws and such.

And I am in the same boat too haha. Whenever I play I can't stop counting all the things I should be doing to make my game more refined and such. There are a lot of tools my characters have they I'm failing to take advantage of despite the internet success they've given me :p

And sorry about abandoning the lobby boutdown,had to take care of some stuff.... next Time!

Manbig

GGs AAK, I still really suck. I generally know what I am doing wrong. But I am always too scared to do so, since fucking up usually means death. :/

Don't blame yourself. You have to spend an absurd amount of time playing Tekken to be anywhere near good at it.

When you look at just about all of the consistently top placing players, you know what they all have in common? They all either only play Tekken and no other video game (which is usually the case for the great players that still manage their personal lives well enough), or they don't have their personal life together and just spend and absurd amount of time paying video games in general, most of which goes towards Tekken.

That is the reality for all but a handful of people.

And since I know someone is gonna bring up Speedkicks:

1. He's generally an exception to a lot of "rules" about sacrificing for competitive Tekken play because he is very much an above average person.

2. He has yet to be a consistent top level placer, so he doesn't necessarily fit the scenario that I'm talking about anyway.

Top Bottom