• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

Sayah

Williams players talking about annoying players online, lol.

Naaaaah. Bob way more annoying online. Spamming that b+2,2.

I still don't understand why Japan is so ass backwards on streaming. You don't impress anyone with a 640x360 stream.

Hurry up and announce a green arcade location test Namco.

Oh and also, I think some people might be getting the wrong idea about the 'lower graphical output' thing for the location test. If anything, I expect it to be pretty much similar to how TTT2 handles graphical 'downgrades' in matches online. Some things in the stages backgrounds will be left out but I doubt the character models and most parts of the stages will be heavily affected. What you see will be mostly what you get I guess?

I hope someone cracks the cabinet open to see what the board is though. If it's the same one TTT2 uses, we're getting a cross gen port hahaha.

I'm surprised by this, honestly. Niconico has so many streams going on at a time with so many viewers and they can't seem to offer better resolution. I mean even Twitch doesn't seem as popular. Niconico has A LOT of programs running at a single time and a LOT of viewers.

You would consider dropping Nina? @_@

Hopefully, they will somehow address or even modify the flapping butterfly move. Imo, they should make the flapping butterfly easier to execute or maybe even make it more deadly somehow(yeah, I'll probably will take heat for that). I can generally do it in practice mode, but during a real, intense fight? Nope.

I guess I should rephrase that. I won't completely quit her. But I will make someone other than Nina my main (likely). This is not only b/c of flapping butterfly loop difficulty (for me, at least), it's also because I've been playing this character way too long and I want to learn someone else. I pretty much suck with every character except Williams in Tag 2 so it's time I got my skills improved with someone else. Nina will still be my Top 3 or Top 5.

IronLich

Just got back on this game on PS3. Anyone want a bad 3rd Dan to kick around who dares to use Angel/Alisa, add me.

PSN: RADRAD1985

Williams players talking about annoying players online, lol.

Haha, well to tell the truth, I actually like all of the characters in Tekken for their own distinct reasons. I wish I knew how to play them all. That would help me tremendously, but that would probably take literally 10 years. Admittedly, everyone including the Williams(I hate mirror matches) can be annoying to fight.

The opening for season 2 is even better :)

Yeah, I win a match with Jin and get 3 demotion matches in a row against players who are 2-3 ranks higher than him. I won those matches luckily, but I just don't get behind the system for promotion/demotion.

Flapping butterfly is that qcf+1 move, isn't it?

Haha :D

It resembles a qcf motion, but it is almost like a full 360 motion + 1 that has to be executed precisely. Imo, it is an awkward motion for this type of game and trying to consistently connect it to a juggle can be an insurmountable task unless your timing is near perfect.

Dereck

Naaaaah. Bob way more annoying online. Spamming that b+2,2.
The bottom line is, online = online, it doesn't matter what character you're playing against. Online is annoying.

That's why I'm laughing when people try to have these contests on which character is more annoying than the other.

Pachimari

I really hope all the characters gets new costumes like in Tekken 4 but I'm not holding my breath.

I actually just got Tekken 4 back when I bought a used PS2.

I'm loving the stages and costumes.

Sayah

The bottom line is, online = online, it doesn't matter what character you're playing against. Online is annoying.

That's why I'm laughing when people try to have these contests on which character is more annoying than the other.

Yes, I agree with that but certain characters have a tendency to be more annoying than certain other characters.

Xiaoyu players can get away with so much in AoP thanks to lag. And then you have Lili cartwheels.

A discussion about annoying characters?

*Looks at main team*

... yeah I guess I'll see myself out :p

I don't even mind Hwoarang.

Jaycee on the other hand.

I really hope all the characters gets new costumes like in Tekken 4 but I'm not holding my breath.

I hope the story/art direction is more akin to Tekken 4.

Tekken 4 graphics still blow me away. How could a game that old look so good.

DEATH™

Haha, well to tell the truth, I actually like all of the characters in Tekken for their own distinct reasons. I wish I knew how to play them all. That would help me tremendously, but that would probably take literally 10 years. Admittedly, everyone including the Williams(I hate mirror matches) can be annoying to fight.

I'm with you on this. It's not me sucking on tekken's part but tekken probably has the most diverse range of characters in FGs right now. It's not just the amount of characters, but the array of character designs/molds. It has characters that can appeal to kids, the otakus, the martial arts practitioners etc. It does the job so well that now it can be taken in the opposite way, some people want a close to realistic fighter (no animals, lars and alisa) and some want a game with flashy tricks in one press of a button (they love lars and jinpachi).

this reminds me, before I had a chance to play you, I went to ranked and player match just a quick while. I can't believe how people get salty so much to actually ragequit. One guy in rank I played in his demotion match and ragequit when he's about to lose (did that twice in a row). And then, people are ragequitting on me onplayer matches... what do they have to lose? Im trying not to throw much...

btw ggs dude... I honestly think I just got a stroke of luck on some of the games I had on you...

A discussion about annoying characters?

*Looks at main team*

... yeah I guess I'll see myself out :p

lol.

BTW guys, if I had a chance to play a real long session I want to play you guys. Those long sessions like I had with bout last time is getting rare on me due to life stuff. I at least need to be sharp enough to not be a total embarassment on strongstyle lol. If I can get out of pools, I'll be happy. It will probably be my first and last tekken tournament as I can see myself moving on to other things.

Ganryu/Zafina team is so liberating to play. So this is what it feels like to do whatever you want and nobody knows what you're doing! I've been playing Tekken wrong the entire time!
Half joking.

That's as far as I go though. Not picking up Lei/capos/Hwo anytime ever lol.

Dereck

DEATH™;130222490 said:
this reminds me, before I had a chance to play you, I went to ranked and player match just a quick while. I can't believe how people get salty so much to actually ragequit. One guy in rank I played in his demotion match and ragequit when he's about to lose (did that twice in a row). And then, people are ragequitting on me onplayer matches... what do they have to lose? Im trying not to throw much...

btw ggs dude... I honestly think I just got a stroke of luck on some of the games I had on you...

lol.

BTW guys, if I had a chance to play a real long session I want to play you guys. Those long sessions like I had with bout last time is getting rare on me due to life stuff. I at least need to be sharp enough to not be a total embarassment on strongstyle lol. If I can get out of pools, I'll be happy. It will probably be my first and last tekken tournament as I can see myself moving on to other things.
Armor King is cool bro, at first I thought his tools were kind of limited, but I am kind of liking him. I don't know any throws, but I might get to that later once I get his fundamentals down. Hilarious mirror matches earlier, punishing b1,2 with b1,2.

Ganryu/Zafina team is so liberating to play. So this is what it feels like to do whatever you want and nobody knows what you're doing! I've been playing Tekken wrong the entire time!
Half joking.

I wasn't going to act like I knew how to punish anything with Devil Jin.

I guess I should rephrase that. I won't completely quit her. But I will make someone other than Nina my main (likely). This is not only b/c of flapping butterfly loop difficulty (for me, at least), it's also because I've been playing this character way too long and I want to learn someone else. I pretty much suck with every character except Williams in Tag 2 so it's time I got my skills improved with someone else. Nina will still be my Top 3 or Top 5.

Yeah, I know exactly where you are coming from. After you had literally thousands of matches with certain characters, it is understandable that you might want to learn another team or character. I wish I could, but I am very unsatisfied with my secondary characters and it seems like I am not progressing like I should with them(probably my fault for rarely playing). Your secondary characters such as Lili, Jinpachi and Yoshimitsu, etc are miles beyond my secondary characters.

Rhazer with them posts. :p

Yeah I guess I should try multiple quote posts more. Look less cluttered lol.

AAK

I pretty much try to change the character ever Tekken I play. I want to play a character that can utilize as much of the system as possible. I know that whatever brand new characters in T7 get released will be designed around whichever new T7 system mechanics implemented so I think I will gravitate more towards them.

In Tekken 6 I went with Armor King because he had all of the following: varied command grabs, wavedash offense, quick unblockables, stances (although useless), among other things. He looked like a really fun character because of the different playstyles you could invoke from his movelist.

Come TTT2 and I instantly wanted to main Julia because they gave her so many cool things designed specifically for the tag game. And she was much more fair in this game too :p. But good lord is AKing/Julia such a boring team with non existent synergy except the netsu relationship. Also, neither of those character could realy take advantage of the stance cancelling extension for Tag Assaults... a mechanic I JUST KNEW I needed to be implemented in my game. Hence after cycling through a bunch of the cast I came across Hwoarang. Once I discovered Julia gets a guaranteed burning hammer off of hunting hawks there was no turning back!

Once I find that T7 character that looks cool and can take advantage of as many mechanics as possible... that's gonna be my new main!

Just got back on this game on PS3. Anyone want a bad 3rd Dan to kick around who dares to use Angel/Alisa, add me.

PSN: RADRAD1985

I missed this post, sorry. We usually post when one of us is online looking for matches that way someone lurking can also sign in for a player match set. Please do post again next time you're online :)

Half joking.

Damn, I remember that whooping you gave me with that team :p

FlyMike used that team! You can check out some of his matches for combo ideas :)

vs. Mr. Taxi
vs ForMyNinjas
vs. Speedkicks

sasuke_91

I'm kinda mad. A friend of mine who always was on my level in Tekken only really plays ranked matches and lately he just seems to get out of reach. He's an Avenger right now and I lose ~70% of matches against him :(
I need to play more agressive. I rarely grab and I try to play it safe. My gameplay in general lacks in terms of "flow"... I need to do something against that.

Yeah, I whine a lot one here lately^^

DEATH™

In Tekken 6 I went with Armor King because he had all of the following: varied command grabs, wavedash offense, quick unblockables, stances (although useless), among other things. He looked like a really fun character because of the different playstyles you could invoke from his movelist.

Come TTT2 and I instantly wanted to main Julia because they gave her so many cool things designed specifically for the tag game. And she was much more fair in this game too :p. But good lord is AKing/Julia such a boring team with non existent synergy except the netsu relationship. Also, neither of those character could realy take advantage of the stance cancelling extension for Tag Assaults... a mechanic I JUST KNEW I needed to be implemented in my game. Hence after cycling through a bunch of the cast I came across Hwoarang. Once I discovered Julia gets a guaranteed burning hammer off of hunting hawks there was no turning vback!

You sure you don't want to get serious again with king? The things that you think AK has, King has it better. Better options on command grabs/multi grabs, better unblockables, better stances, better wavedash options etc. He also got delayable pokes, range and tracking over AK. The only thing he doesn't have over AK is DU at this point.

The only thing I can say against him is he really is a hard char to play because you need to be aware of all of his options. There are many times where I'm stuck on a mindset of using fewer tools and after the match I wonder why I did not use some that actually help me the match...

I'm kinda mad. A friend of mine who always was on my level in Tekken only really plays ranked matches and lately he just seems to get out of reach. He's an Avenger right now and I lose ~70% of matches against him :(
I need to play more agressive. I rarely grab and I try to play it safe. My gameplay in general lacks in terms of "flow"... I need to do something against that.

Yeah, I whine a lot one here lately^^

Hmm, see how he deals with you rushing towards him, does he try to interrupt or does he just stand there?

AAK

Sorry.... AKing is just soooo much more boss than King. If there ever was a choice to play any of the Kings it's unanimously going to be AKing.

1) He has Armor On --> instant Gangster status

2) Everything that AKing and King do similarly... AKing is just soooo much cooler
d/b1+2 > d/b+2
qcb+1+2 > f,hcf+2
AKing Ground Throws > King's Versions
Electric Chair Drop > Rock Bottom
Russian Skies Protected > Spinning Powerbomb
Aking's d/b+3 >>> King's d/b+3
Shining Black > Shining Wizard
Leaping Powerbomb > Running PowerBomb (You can keep that Oki... Style all the way)
Aking's f,f,n,2 >>>> King's f,f+2

4) Better unblockables? Cmon son:
ibzCovHEMBW8iT.gif

5) And it's not JUST Dark Upper that AKing has... he also has the divine f+2,1

Although I will say one thing... King's Tombstone >>>>>> AKing's Tombstone, and King's multithrows >>>>> AKing's multithrows. But still they don't mean much compared to everything else that's cooler with AKing :p

AKing also got a game's subtitle named COMPLETELY after him!

iojgEb3ceIUX5.png

Sorry man... King has a long road ahead of him till he reaches AKING status:

ibdCl0FLRqRwwn.jpg

Regardless ... King is still pretty cool haha

GrayFoxPL

ibf5AX2G3rK1xN.png

Dunno...

King's ff n 2 ch gives a clean knee launcher.

Also fc df+1 is aa normal hit launcher that is safe >.any low A.King has.

Mixing above with fc df+2 > any mid A.King has.

ss+2+4 is super evasive sidestep canceled with db gives king deadly mixup of fc df1 fc df2 the multipart throw and basically anything you want.

Lots, LOTS of safe stuff:

b+1 crumple stun on ch

b+1,4

b+2

b+2,1+2

b+2,4

ub+1

fc df+1

d/f+1>2

f+1+4

d/f+2, 1

[df+4],3,4

df+3

d/b+2

u/f+1+2

f, F+1

f, F+2

f, F+2, 1

f, f, n+1+2

WS+2

SS+2

SS+3+4

3+4, 1

3+4, 2

3+4, 3

3+4, 4

3+4, d/f+4

f, n, d, D/F+4

And I didn't even list moves that are -9~-10

I used to think A.King owns King clean - no contest but when I started playing King I got this milliard options A.King doesn't have. A.King is more of easy damage character, with King the Second you gotta sweat and be more creative but I wouldn't say he's the weaker King overall. Properly utilized he's deadly and very safe.

Also A.King lost his Cool Pants in TTT so he's been morally downgraded ;).

King is KING

iLZm7PnCoAtxx.jpg

AAK

Safety... shmafety...King is definitely cool and all but common, you can't hate on these pants:

Armor_King_-_TapouT_Shirt_-_T6_BR.jpg
iqC3McW5SkYFl.png

There is no piece of attire in the Tekkenverse that's as boss as those pants, even in TTT!

BTW those King FC moves are amazing as whiff punishers but common, you can't use them to start offense. The low being safe is extremely telegraphed and good players WILL hopkick or low parry you on those. The mid is -14. That factor alone turns me off from ever using that move to do anything other than punish.

I can objectively say AKing's d/f+1 is better than any mid King has. Even though it does look kind of ugly,

Also a lot of those moves listed don't really mean much after you consider how fast they are and uses they have in context of the character. I really can't simply put a bunch of safe moves a character has and use them as blanket statement to show how good a character is. Hwoarang has more safe moves than probably anyone else in the cast except maybe Lei. And a good portion of those moves are strings that with a mid... but it is that way to compensate for other core tools Hwoarang doesn't have. Same thing with King.

But alas, my post above was more to show that I cosmetically enjoy Armor King far more than King, and to continue this artwork war I've started I shall just close it with a showcase of King's ground throw weakness against females:

ibghDmvGeMllz5.PNG

I have no idea what that says so any implication is unknown... but that expression is just too priceless :p

GrayFoxPL

I said he lost his cool pants, I love them too!

You know very well you can't play King like A.King. If you switch from Armor and try play King with the same speed, aggressiveness or mindset King will suck bad. It's a different beast. You can't throw out slow starting moves at kissing range but with proper spacing you can and you are safe doing so.

fc df+1 is slow but that's why mixup with fc df+2 works, fc df+2 is too fast to react. Once someone crouches expecting fc+df1 he's dead since it crumple stuns on normal.

fc df+1 can be done with crouch dash and mixed up with safe mid knee and that knee mixed with multiparts. No way everyone hopkicks that move on reaction every time unless someone is playing stupid and abuses it.

3+4 and especially b+3+4 can be amazing tool since to play it safe you gotta block high - there are three highs with multi starter, 4 that is +8 on guard and ublockable on 2 hops and three mids where 2 stuns crouching opponent for free crouch throw.
Everything is safe. You can always uf+4 crouched opponent after jaguar step and it works quite often.

And King can oki pick up with df+4,3 A.King doesn't have this tool. ;P

A.King df+1 is just a shameless spammable jab that's OP. A.King shouldn't be proud of it. Gonna get nerfed in T7 too :p.

But seriously I don't want to argue for real. Before I just didn't dig deep enough to see King's good sides when directly compared to A.Kings obvious strengths. King's not mishima-good but played at his own pace he can be great and very fun.
Of course I don't consider Korean level gameplay, because I'm never gonna be at that level. But you know in my peasant boundaries King is awesome. :]

Bring on Tekken 7 grudge matches King vs A.King (Marduk you eat your cornflakes when cats are fighting!).

Lol at that pic XD.

Edit: King with sword.

ibgs2rJdWGswCr.jpg

Pachimari

My gameplay lacks EVERYTHING. And it's super frustrating. Yet I have played since Tekken 1 and all the games.

I only got to practice my Law movements and some counter stuff with boutdown but now it have been months since I last played TTT2.

So sad.

Yet it's one of my favorite franchises.

GrayFoxPL

I know this feeling man, don't sweat.

Wonder how Tekken 7 changes this "approachability". Tag 2 is like: "Play 24/7 if you don't wanna suck or get out! GEEET OOUUUUT!" LoL.

I afraid they dumb it down but maybe not necessarily.

Pachimari

The good thing is that I actually have a lot of time these weeks but I gotta buy myself a headset for PS3 next month so I can practice and learn.

DEATH™

AAK, don't do it...

don't do it...

I can objectively say AKing's d/f+1 is better than any mid King has. Even though it does look kind of ugly...

Awww deemm you did it...

King df+1 shames AK df+1 bro... Seriously, try spamming it and you will be surprised about how good it is... -1 on block, hits grounded stances, basically uncrushable by those "mid crushing" moves, and got a delayable followup that will make opponents stay still. Got beefy range too. Useful for oki too... The only con is it's 1 frame slower, but King got df+2 for that i13 poke...

King df+1 is so good, it's banned in MMA...

But yeah as people already have said, King's approach is different... He isn't a brawler-type wrestler... He isn't gonna be a 5 moves of doom wrestler (sorry AK you are close to that). Dude's a technician. Dude is like Dean Malenko level, maybe above...

sasuke_91

There are ways around throws if you anticipate a throw.

You are my hero. I just played a session with him and turtling is the best strategy against him. He'll always make those tiny mistakes like using natural counterhit combos that have highs in them (Hwoarang's RFF db3,3 for example) hoping for a counterhit. I duck the high, launch him and try to do as much damage as possible. It also made throw-breaking much much easier, because I didn't have to concentrate on too many things at the same time.

Today was great day for Tekken :)

GrayFoxPL

Dean Malenko, that's a trip down memory lane!

The Iceman was awesome. Pure badassery.

Some moves Kings can do:

iThOVSX307Zmc.gif

Countah!

iYTcuDAeznDU.gif

ibu3XSXNUR1liJ.gif

Tag 1 tag throw :).

igxrxoUxaJpgN.gif

ip9XOPNU5KQLs.gif

i4kuOMgLxL9Hz.gif

Dat air throw.

iboylA4K31Ardy.gif

(b+2),4 ch

iL9bRAOMN65XR.gif

ff n 2 ch 1+2, u,d, n, 3+4

ibqhxpUA9TnbJI.gif

Couple throws I hope Kings get in T7 in some form:

ibwJW2fhJRxzq2.gif

iGMbQLFTEPgAe.gif

ibueD9zR37UkqX.gif

ivwEstudcrACw.gif

King jumps sky high so he wouldn't need to stand on anything to do those.

Btw I just though, wouldn't it be awesome if King has something like "counter run" throws? When opponent runs at you or inputs fff and you counter with something eg. b+2+4 and he does that spinning back breaker like in the last gif.
Reversed shining wizard ha!

AAK

fc df+1 is slow but that's why mixup with fc df+2 works, fc df+2 is too fast to react. Once someone crouches expecting fc+df1 he's dead since it crumple stuns on normal.

fc df+1 can be done with crouch dash and mixed up with safe mid knee and that knee mixed with multiparts. No way everyone hopkicks that move on reaction every time unless someone is playing stupid and abuses it.

And King can oki pick up with df+4,3 A.King doesn't have this tool. ;P

If I see a FC, I'm not even gonna bother trying to fuzzy guard Lol, I'm just gonna sidewalk... if the mid comes out I'll punish it, if the low comes out, I can just react and block. :) Not as easy to do online but it works!

DEATH™;130320638 said:
King df+1 is so good, it's banned in MMA...

If only King was in MMA:

(sigh) If only they evolved King into a true MMA fighter....

iI1krQjsiS7BY.jpg

But oh well... d/+1 owns :p

That's AKing's :p

tumblr_nbygtdIdT91rnlj8do3_250.gif

ibbgfdhE55Op48.gif

MikeMyers

Yeah, Paul's second player outfit is my favourite.

It would have been cool if Namco did a 3D remake that had the first two games merged as one. I'd love to fight Kazuya and Devil with PS3 graphics.

DEATH™

The thing with King's throws too is most of the cool throws he has is overshadowed because they are part of a multithrow string. King does a pretty mean German Suplex but people won't see that unless they actively do the multithrow. He also got a pretty sick Reverse Gory Bomb, but it's overshadowed by being the first part of the df+1+2 chain. Sol Naciente is sick, but people don't use it. Dragon Sleeper is a very nice submission move but it's overshadowed by rolling death cradle.

It just makes me realized more that submission maneuvers and technical throws King has was always overlooked...

EDIT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpduMJ3wGHY&app=desktop

The video I want to do someday is done now by someone else...

I want to add more throws...

Dereck

I may have just located someone (and some people), in my city that play offline. I'm going to try to meet up with them this week.

Top Bottom