• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

Onemic

Goes inline with IGN complaining about Ratchet having "too much variety" -_-

I just read the review....I'm pretty sure they only played the game for 5 minutes. It explains nearly nothing about the game and the reasons for why it got the individual scores it did. IGN pushing out lazy half hearted reviews.

What mode do I need to play to unlock endings?

Play through Arcade Mode.

You also can unlock endings through Ghost Battle(requires beating teams that have a gold background for their select portraits instead silver) but it's less satisfying imo.

Where do I go to play just a round on a stage of my choice and get to pick my characters (and the other team's)? I tried team battle but that didn't let me pick my opponents. Please tell me somewhere in this game I can do this.

Um....Vs?

consoul

Played in the Guinness Book World Record/PR Stunt/Tournament on the world's biggest screen at Sydney IMAX last night. Good games Sydney. Congrats to Han-Ju & Mario on a great final.

I can state definitively that the game is better played on an LCD than on IMAX. Actually having to look up to check your health bars because they're not in your immediate field of view isn't really convenient. Surprisingly, input lag was not too bad.

Yes. It seems to incorporate real player ghosts from online. Every time you go online the game downloads fresh ghost data and uploads yours.

Every few fights you may get a bonus chest with even more money in it, and every few fights you may unlock a new character ending (random, not based on the team you're using).
I don't believe it is random. The opponent banners (when selecting your next opponent) that are gold have either customization options, an ending, or both as a reward. In my experience, you get the ending of the first person in the opponent's team... so if you're facing a Dragunov and Raven team, you'll get Dragunov's.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
FYI to peeps who (like myself) were wondering how to unlock items. After about 8 or so ghost battle matches i started getting items on the regular by picking the higher ranked ghosts. Probably not news but just in case anyone missed it..there it is.

FYI to peeps who (like myself) were wondering how to unlock items. After about 8 or so ghost battle matches i started getting items on the regular by picking the higher ranked ghosts. Probably not news but just in case anyone missed it..there it is.

You get items, panels and endings from the ones that have Gold plates.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I don't believe it is random. The opponent banners (when selecting your next opponent) that are gold have either customization options, an ending, or both as a reward. In my experience, you get the ending of the first person in the opponent's team... so if you're facing a Dragunov and Raven team, you'll get Dragunov's.

You are right - sorry I was thinking random in that the opponent who may unlock an ending is random.

Rather than it being the ending of the team you are using yourself.

Edit: does anything think there are more unlockable dot matrix fight intro backgrounds? I've seen some ghosts come up with like cartoons and such in theirs but character customize only shows 8 basic geometric dot matrix patterns.

Tizoc

Quick update about Ghost Battle:
After winning a match the game will let u chose your next opponent, if one of the selections has a yellow box ALWAYS GO FOR IT; this is what'll unlock items and endings, usually for the character in that yellow box.
EDIT: Hah guess someone mentioned it before me, I only now noticed it cuz back then I just chose at random ^_^;

Um...so the tutorial teaches bound as if it's a universal move, but it ain't, and every single characters is different. Launcher is pretty self explanatory, but the in game command list has no denotation for bounds, so, how am I supposed to know which they are? There a list anybody know of that they can point me to for all launchers/bounds/kinockbacks?

LowParry

Um...so the tutorial teaches bound as if it's a universal move, but it ain't, and every single characters is different. Launcher is pretty self explanatory, but the in game command list has no denotation for bounds, so, how am I supposed to know which they are? There a list anybody know of that they can point me to for all launchers/bounds/kinockbacks?

In the move list, green arrows are bounds, red are launchers, blue are homing moves

Doomshine

Pretty sure there should be in icon for bound moves, just like there is for homing moves and such.

EDIT: beaten

noodalls

Also, isn't 1+2+5 a universal bound move?

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I got my X360 version today, but since my Xbox avatar is female, I can't redeem the Yoshi and Raven avatar costumes.

If anyone wants 'em, PM me.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Later tonight my man when the wife has her time with the game. I don't know how in the world she's going to do tag combos when she uses shortcuts on the shoulder buttons and and using the tag button with a flick of the analog. It boggles my mind watching her play. lol

No problem my dude. Hit me up whenever.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
EDGE review

Score: 7

For experienced players, though, this is as fluid as Tekken has been for years, the tagging doing much to revitalise a combo system that, with its over-reliance on juggles and wall combos, was in danger of growing stale. But it’s taken a 12-year-old mechanic to do that, and other games in this increasingly crowded genre boast a deeper level of mechanical complexity as well as a more generous welcome to newcomers. With the back catalogue pilfered, the lingering question is where the series can possibly go from here.

Sooooooo, I take it this isn't a good entry-level game in the series? It seems so content packed that I'm tempted to get it, but EDGE's review made it sound like this isn't good for newbies. Giant Bomb's review didn't seem to indicate whether that's true or not, only there's a fair amount of tutoring.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Sooooooo, I take it this isn't a good entry-level game in the series? It seems so content packed that I'm tempted to get it, but EDGE's review made it sound like this isn't good for newbies. Giant Bomb's review didn't seem to indicate whether that's true or not, only there's a fair amount of tutoring.

It's a fighting game, why does it matter what your entry point in a series is? Plenty of guides online and anyone dedicated can learn.

Going solo seems terrible.

Guess I'll go with Angel/Kazuya for now.
Go Angel / Devil Jin for learning sake

Chavelo

Andherewego.gif

None of the tekken games were a good entry for newbies. This one actually is with the inclusion of the Fight Lab.

It's a fighting game, why does it matter what your entry point in a series is? Plenty of guides online and anyone dedicated can learn.

Sure, but if there's in-game systems that can help that's nice too. Especially seeing as execution is the one thing I have trouble getting to grips with, and guides aren't especially useful for that.

But yes, I can learn. Theoretically. :p

Andherewego.gif

None of the tekken games were a good entry for newbies. This one actually is with the inclusion of the Fight Lab.

Oh, OK, good! And what, does this come up often? I have no idea :lol

Onemic

I really don't know why they think this. IGN said the same, but the IGN review is so barebones and clearly half hearted that I doubt they played it for very long.

Horseress

My opinion about ALL those reviews: you will NEVER became good at a game "by accident".
Pick up the game, play for an hour and: "OW GOD I'M GOD TIER!"
In ANY game, being a fighter, a RTS, a MOBA, a sports game, racing, anything, you need to train, hit the training mode, research the internet (YouTube, faqs are everywhere, including this OT) and you will getting better along the way, and it's always very rewarding getting good at a game, so I suggest you giving it a chance

Btw, this is my first Tekken, and I'm pretty motivated ^^

Sure, but if there's in-game systems that can help that's nice too. Especially seeing as execution is the one thing I have trouble getting to grips with, and guides aren't especially useful for that.

But yes, I can learn. Theoretically. :p

The training mode is pretty awesome in this game, and there's a tutorial mode as well (fight lab)

Chavelo

I sure hope Edge and IGN gives DOTA 2 a 2/10 going by their TTT2 reviews. Game is extremely difficult for newbies, and the mechanics are so old.

And really fun, but who gives a shit about that.

I really don't know why they think this. IGN said the same, but the IGN review is so barebones and clearly half hearted that I doubt they played it for very long.

EDGE usually have some conviction in their reviews, I guess? Really, their point about the tutorials only teaching you Combot is surely by-the-by, given it's usually execution and mechanics you're taught, which can be applied to all characters... you just have to learn. *shrug*

I'll probably pick this up if I can find it cheap- my money this month is for JSR, but this looks real solid.

Degen

Guys... It might have to be King/Ancient Ogre. It just might just have to be just that

Haven't taken AO to ranked mode yet but he seems like exactly what I was looking for

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
you can use guns? ...WAT?

SPvZZ.png

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Seriously guys. Who cares about reviews. Shit hasnt mattered in years. Why does anyone care what some dude who doesnt know shit about fighting games thinks about tekken? Seems like a huge waste of time being outraged over what a random who you're ten thousand times more informed than thinks about the game.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
EDGE usually have some conviction in their reviews, I guess? Really, their point about the tutorials only teaching you Combot is surely by-the-by, given it's usually execution and mechanics you're taught, which can be applied to all characters... you just have to learn. *shrug*

I'll probably pick this up if I can find it cheap- my money this month is for JSR, but this looks real solid.

The funny thing is, unless they changed it in TTT2 combot has always been a random character. You cant learn him... he's everyone

Sayah

Seriously guys. Who cares about reviews. Shit hasnt mattered in years. Why does anyone care what some dude who doesnt know shit about fighting games thinks about tekken? Seems like a huge waste of time being outraged over what a random who you're ten thousand times more informed than thinks about the game.

Bad reviews can mess up sales. And it's especially irritating when such a shallow review is coming from a big source like IGN. And it's even more irritating when it's for a game like TTT2 that actually presents an excellent DLC model and provides players with tons of content and features.

In the end, I already expected reviews to be like this. Most people reviewing the game don't know how to play it. Case in point.
The funny thing is, unless they changed it in TTT2 combot has always been a random character. You cant learn him... he's everyone

Combot is sort of Create-your-own-character now. You can give him different moves from different characters.

Horseress

Bad reviews can mess up sales. And it's especially irritating when such a shallow review is coming from a big source like IGN. And it's even more irritating when it's for a game like TTT2 that actually presents an excellent DLC model and provides players with tons of content and features.

IGN said Namco "felt in the same trap" by putting too much content on the game...how is this bad?! IGN knows shit about fighters, real talk

Top Bottom