• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

Onemic

IGN said Namco "felt in the same trap" by putting too much content on the game...how is this bad?! IGN knows shit about fighters, real talk

They didnt even put it on the front page of their site or the individual consoles, just as a small headline on the side. They clearly just wanted to throwup a review just to say "they reviewed it" and have it forgotten an hour later.

raven777

tried the game for about 20 minutes. PS3 version

The graphics look better than I expected. It seems better than T6 but it might be just bad remembering.

I like the fact that you can change the size of life bar to be similar to the arcade version.

Does anybody know how to use Lili's special dress costume?

Sayah

IGN said Namco "felt in the same trap" by putting too much content on the game...how is this bad?! IGN knows shit about fighters, real talk

Yeah, that was sort of a WTF? I think most people recognize that that review was lazily written and full of shit. Hence, all the dislikes on the youtube video review and all the nasty comments, lol.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The problem with mainstream fighting game reviews is now that writers seem like they're just going to rubberstamp "IS IT MORTAL KOMBAT?" on each game for a pass/fail. Because the standard bitch about fighting games was previously: "LOL they're just fighting, what's up with that?" MK9 provided a lot of stuff to fiddle around with for casual players.

However, I can see already based on various FG reviews since MK9 hit, that reviewers don't seem to be approaching the genre as a genre. Within a genre you have tiers of games that have a variety of focuses. Aimed at different audiences.

TTT2, as a FG package, is remarkable, but aside from Fight Lab, it seems aimed at the enthusiast player who only wants game content that matters to the core premise: fighting VS matches. Even the fixed up ghost battle mode serves this, as a good way to rack up loads of time fighting moving targets to test out characters and practice combos. Stuff like Tekken Force or Scenario Campaign were removed because most people who bought Tekken didn't use those at all, unless forced to play them to unlock stuff.

A lot of reviewers appear to be approaching TTT2 only by checking off a list generated from the impact of MK9, rather than trying to understand who the game is aimed at. It is why we even have ridiculous stuff like the IGN review complaining there are too many characters and too many moves.

I think unlike a lot of other games, Tekken doesn't have to follow the leader in terms of chasing sales, as Tekken is well established and has large existing player base. For the time being at least, it does not have to try and eek out extra sales from non-fighting game fans to justify being released.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Bad reviews can mess up sales. And it's especially irritating when such a shallow review is coming from a big source like IGN. And it's even more irritating when it's for a game like TTT2 that actually presents an excellent DLC model and provides players with tons of content and features.

In the end, I already expected reviews to be like this. Most people reviewing the game don't know how to play it. Case in point.

Combot is sort of Create-your-own-character now. You can give him different moves from different characters.

I dont think a single person on earth trusts IGN anymore.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

The graphics look better than I expected. It seems better than T6 but it might be just bad remembering.

The character models are new compared to T6 and they are a lot better IMO. T6 was pretty rough / early gen looking in a lot of ways.

TTT2 also seems have much more naturally lit stages, makes for a more attractive package.

Doomshine

I think a lot people forget just how old T6 was even when it came out on consoles, that game took a really long time for the home version.

Marking down the game for too much content is certainly bizarre. It's the big reason I'm interested- I haven't bought a fighter since MvC3, mainly because of how that game rolled out, but Harada's comments on DLC and such and the general amount of stuff in this is a serious draw to me.

I want some meat to my game, basically.

Sayah

I like the fact that you can change the size of life bar to be similar to the arcade version.

Does anybody know how to use Lili's special dress costume?
Once you have your code redeemed and the skirt downloaded from the store, go to customize. Then, choose Lili. Look around and you will see "Frilly Skirt" as one of the options.

Seriously guys. Who cares about reviews. Shit hasnt mattered in years. Why does anyone care what some dude who doesnt know shit about fighting games thinks about tekken? Seems like a huge waste of time being outraged over what a random who you're ten thousand times more informed than thinks about the game.

I care about bad scores chasing off people who had a passing interest and keeping the community from growing. Tekken is huge in Asia, it should be here too.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
LOL, I remember they taking points off MvC3 because it has no "time assault"....

Tekken is established enough to not rely on media attention. If the community pushes it enough with streams and events the game will do good (at least that's what i think).

raven777

Where do I get the online pass code?

I ordered from Amazon, and they gave me 2 codes. The first one was character/bikini pack but the second code is bonuse code for webpage materials.

Chavelo

Lol if this is a troll, then YOU WINNAR.

Is it a little surprising that all the positive talk about the free DLC characters, and no one mentions the Online Pass. As far as I know, the only other fighting game with an Online Pass was MK.

Maybe in the future people will complain about it. Right now, everyone who gets it at the store have nothing to worry about.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Why is Asuka hands so damn big?

3be55adaf46d11e19fe21231380f3636_7.jpg

Man amazon is keeping me from Michelle.

oh well. They'll send it soon I guess.

Gonna finally get a chance to start playing now...

gonna get peed on.

First real Tekken game since like 3 (I bought 6 crazy late and never really played it.) Should be fun....

d0c_zaius

Maybe in the future people will complain about it. Right now, everyone who gets it at the store have nothing to worry about.

yea Im more salty about having to wait for free characters cause I didn't go to gamestop.

but TTT2 is good enough to overlook this and the on-pass.

So, just to be clear:

There is absolutely no way for me to pick my guys, pick my CPU opponents, pick a stage and just play a match that way?

Because if it's in the game anywhere Im not finding it and if true I'll be really disappointed. This seems like such an incredibly basic feature for any fighting game.

So far it looks like I'm using:

Kunimitsu
Angel
Asuka
Anna
Lili

Definitely working to add to that roster.

Just been grinding out ghost battle and practice mode. I feel like I could play this game forever.

Doomshine

So, just to be clear:

There is absolutely no way for me to pick my guys, pick my CPU opponents, pick a stage and just play a match that way?

Because if it's in the game anywhere Im not finding it and if true I'll be really disappointed. This seems like such an incredibly basic feature for any fighting game.

I don't have the game yet, but couldn't you use practice mode? I don't remember if you can turn off infinite life, but you should be able to play against the AI that way at least.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
It's probably been asked a million times, but does anyone know if the two platform versions are basically at parity?

Sayah

So, just to be clear:

Go to practice mode. Choose your characters. Choose the CPU character. Go into Vs. CPU from the practice menu. Set the difficulty. Play endless battles.

Raonak

Banned
its unfair how vastly the difficulty ramps up in the final stage compared to all the other arcade fights.

Yeah... they did the same thing in T5 and 6. the final boss being a cheap fucker.
I remember just jabbing was the the most efficient way of beating the T6 boss.

Top Bottom