• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

mephie

Neo Member
Yeah I'd like to know this too, I fought some girls with hairstyles I've never seen available and then there's the three hairstyle icons in the customization store that aren't selectable for me :/

So far I've won about 50 gold matches in ghost battle and haven't unlocked these.

You don't need to unlock them. Buy and equip a base hair style before heading into the shop to make them appear.

Onemic

Just to put in my take on it since I'm a Tekken newbie as well. I've started playing fighting games seriously since April, and while a lot of fighting games have the general problem of being able to properly teach new players the ropes, they at least have done a somewhat alright job, through system guides and trials, which give you a basic rundown of the basic system mechanics and how the combo system for each character generally works. A newbie can fire up SF4 and play through Ryu's Trials, and even though quite a few of them are inefficient, they would have a basic understanding of how he plays. some of his basic and important links (ie. MP>cr.HK) They might not learn all the little things such as highest priority normals, best pokes and so on, but they would have at least a basic understanding, and when they go to the community like the SRK forums they would have a complete rundown of all the things they would need to do as a Ryu player. Same goes for Persona, KOF, and even Guilty Gear. Within about an hour of researching I can generally get an understanding of how a character works, even though I may be absolutely terrible at them, or not even play them at all.

This is where Tekken really drops the ball in that not only is there ingame material for newbies extremely weak.(With combot being a glorified system guide) The community is quite frankly the weakest I've seen thus far in terms of helping new players. At least for the characters I've been trying to learn there's next to no information on a basic rundown on what you want to do as that character. I've heard people say that people play characters differently, but unless Tekken is very unique from other games within the FGC in that every character is completely ambiguous in design and they are completely well rounded to the point you can literally play them any way you want(Which I extremely doubt) that's a really bad cop out towards a real issue. If you go to Tekken Zaibatsu all you see are random combos, with no context, no explanation as to why they are useful other than putting them in categories such as wall splat, juggles, etc. and no real information as to the basic design intention of a character. All you have is that a general discussion between high level players, which obviously doesn't help, and maybe a top 10 move list, but with once again next to no context. I have no idea if a character is defensive based, rushdown/combo based, what their strengths or weaknesses are, or even their general playstyle. It's all assumed. And this isn't only towards TTT2, it's towards the Tekken franchise in general as the same issues with TTT2 were present in T6, which is why I lost interest in the title even though Tekken 3 and 5 were probably one of the most fun I've had within the fighting game genre. It's assumed you already have complete knowledge of Tekken, it's mechanics, and to an extent the characters themselves.

So far I haven't come across one thread that deals with a character 101, or even a detailed combo thread stating why certain combos or starters are useful and in what situations would be used. It's like this game straight up doesn't want newbies to learn the game, which is disappointing to say the least. I'm still waiting for my membership status to be approved by TZ so it's not even like I can go to the character forums and ask questions there anyway. This all just adds up to a game that pushes new players away and in a sense indirectly tries to lock them out. This is why I'm beginning to understand the Edge and IGN reviews when they deal with lack of help within the game. When the game doesn't have squat in terms of helping you learn, and the community is very insular and has a very high barrier to entry, what does that leave with people that actually want to learn the game? I'm a person that tends to soak up as much info on my characters as possible so I can learn them properly, but when both the game and the community aren't that helpful it's very disconcerting. Guys like Aris and Level Up Your Game are great at explaining some of the mechanics, but once again there's nothing specific on characters, and for people that don't look at GAF OT, the amount of spread out information on the game mechanics aren't helpful and just make it harder for people that want to learn.

Being the masochistic guy that I am towards learning newly released games, I will eventually find out and learn the things I need to know and will stick with it,(as it really seems like the extremely inefficient method of watching match videos and trying to memorize patterns when you're a newbie is one of the only ways left) but for others that are maybe more casual and don't have that much patience, I would not be surprised, and would not blame them if they become fed up and quit. It's not even about how much time you put into a game, because at the end of the day if you're not learning things properly then it doesn't matter what you put in as you're just exercising inefficiency.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9p8Dc85RDA

That jiggle...

Sorry Jun, you gotta go. I'm going Xiaoyu/Miharu full time now.

In regards to the current discussion, I agree that Tekken is pretty difficult to get into. I honestly felt very happy upon completing Combot's mode though.

And I wish that the 1up section would create a good guide much like this one:

http://mycheats.1up.com/view/section/3140601/27821/tekken_6/ps3

I asked people here if it was good, but no one replied. It looks good to me though, and it's more of what I want to see.

LTWheels

I've always thought that fighting games could do a series of mini games simulating situations in matches.

For an example:

1. A mini game where you can not move your character. The opponent appears at different ranges from your character. You have to use the correct attack to hit the opponent without missing.

2. A mini game that's a bit like fencing. Can't block or sidestep. First person to hit the other player gets a point, then it resets to the starting position. Helps to teach movement, spacing and poking.

3. (2d games) A mini game where balls fall from different angles. Must hit them before they hit the floor. Helps teach anti-airs and positioning for jump ins.

These kind of things would help new players develop skills. What does everyone think?

alstein

I love your name.

Anyway, yeah, it's about discovery for yourself, and then comparing that with existing information from other players.

The issue about tutorials is that they can only teach you so much. TT2 needs more about the basics, but it doesn't need to go any farther than letting players know what is what. Maybe example combos and the like, but not constantly applicable combos.

VF has that perfect mix, and it's too bad that game gets looked over by quite a few people for being "too hard".

This drives me insane, especially when VF is much easier to get to a decent level than Tekken is.

VF allows you to play with more variety than Tekken does as well, I really feel shoehorned into a certain style of play with Tekken moreso then I am with VF.

That said, the sample combos in VF command training are designed to work on all chars, they aren't optimal combos by any stretch. It's good for when you're training against Taka though.

This isn't art it's a fighting game. I like having friends, and friends who play stuff with me.
Fighting games are way beyond Street Fighter 2. Street Fighter 2 IS HARD FOR MOST PEOPLE. It's time to either take it down a notch, or bring the resources up about ten notches. Give it a rest.

I'm all for streamlining, but not simplifying the strategy. It's hard to streamline without simplifying, it's one of the big game design challenges, especially for a fighter.

The thing with Tekken is that it would be super-hard to streamline it without dumbing it down.

That said, looking at your complaints about Tekken- you'd be unhappy with VF as well.

The amount of stuff you have to pick up in Tekken is overwhelming for someone who hasn't mained the series for years. There is a problem there, but this is TTT2- they kinda had to throw in everything and everyone.
I think 3D games suffer some when you get over 25+ characters, it just gets to be too much for new players to get into. Tekken with 60 and huge movelists is just overkill to a huge degree, it's awesome for fans of the series, but it's murder on newer folks.

Also, with the large amount of great fighters already out, if a game leaves a poor first impression, folks will drop it quickly in favor of what they like more/are more comfortable with. Probably will be very easy to find a used copy of Tekken in a couple weeks, and I think Harada knew that and that's why he put out all these goodies to pre-orders and free DLC down the line- he's trying hard to discourage folks from giving it up early.

Onemic

There is a Preview for the Prima Guide on their Website going through a Gameplan Overview, Tag Partners, Key Moves, Advanced Strategies, things to practice, how to beat XXX and Combos.
Maybe you should check it ou,t in addition to stuff from Zaibatsu.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Prima Official Game Guide snippet

How good is the overall guide? I thought about getting it, but I know there are some game guides out there that are completely worthless and some that are very good(like UMvC3's)

I wanted to get that guide, but it saddens me a bit that DLC characters are not included, and that annoyed about me about the SFxT guide, although it made sense, since they were hiding them on disc.

dot

How do i view my own player card on WTF? It just says 404 - Page cannot be found.

I linked my PSN account already btw.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Lost the last 3 ranked because I couldn't close the deal. About to go punch a dolphin in the throat. :lol

Lumine

Any (European) GAF games planned tonight? I haven't jumped online yet, but I'd love to join you guys if you have something planned. :)

weepy

I've had this game for about two days but have yet to pay an online match...is the netcode decent? There were times where i'd play a match in Tekken 6 and lose to someone spamming King's stagger kicks because I couldn't punish properly due to lag.

How good is the overall guide? I thought about getting it, but I know there are some game guides out there that are completely worthless and some that are very good(like UMvC3's)

That PDF sample is pretty representative of the total guide. About 15 pages on the system mechanics and history of Tekken, 80% of the book being those character chapters, and the remaining 20% being frame data for all the moves (which I heard is not reliable, but Prima promised to keep it up to date through their site, so whatever). It's not super in-depth, but it gets you started.

For example, you were interested in Feng, so here's a couple sentences from his overview:
If you are inclined towards characters that use frame traps and are aggressive, Feng is the character for you. If you are the type of player who prefers to turtle, use a small number of moves, and focus more on whiff punishing, Feng is also the character for you.

Onemic

That PDF sample is pretty representative of the total guide. About 15 pages on the system mechanics and history of Tekken, 80% of the book being those character chapters, and the remaining 20% being frame data for all the moves (which I heard is not reliable, but Prima promised to keep it up to date through their site, so whatever). It's not super in-depth, but it gets you started.

For example, you were interested in Feng, so here's a couple sentences from his overview:

3D Mitsuru? Hyped. I will work my hardest to make people rage and call me broken.

I've had this game for about two days but have yet to pay an online match...is the netcode decent? There were times where i'd play a match in Tekken 6 and lose to someone spamming King's stagger kicks because I couldn't punish properly due to lag.

Only my experience but I have a pretty average connection and I have experienced a minimal, negligible amount of lag after playing for about five/six hours total online. The netcode is absolutely terrific, almost every match is smooth with a huge percentage of 4 and 5 bars. I've had little trouble pulling off juggles online (with the exception of human-error of course) when compared to offline mode so I cannot say I'm experiencing any noticeable difference. The contrast between Tekken 6 and Tag Tournament 2 is night and day. I've had two disconnects but other than that the online system has been flawless for me.

EDIT: Also, for the first time I've had a significant number of wins in a row. Yay for Jinpachi and Paul's team of super punishment!

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
No offence, you generally seem like a cool guy, but what is the point of a response like this? It's the kind of condescending elitism that the "FGC" would be better off without. You dont even address the question you simply imply (the laughable notion) that someone is a failure in life if they have difficulty picking up the game.

I wasn't trying to be condescending or elitist, I apologize. I wanted to make a point that TEKKEN isn't for everyone and if you really want to learn it/be satisfied with it at the higher level, you're going to have to put in work. If I offended you in anyway, then I apologize again. That was not the intention of the post.

^.^

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

I have PMs stacking up and I'll get back to them after my daughter's birthday today!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Need to learn the Tag Assaults of Jun and Asuka, Fight Lab only explains Combots.

It's the same idea for every character. If you can't figure one out you can hold it as well. But generally you want them to do the most damaging move that keeps you in range of your most damaging finishers or ones that give you oki set ups or wall carry

Onemic

I wasn't trying to be condescending or elitist, I apologize. I wanted to make a point that TEKKEN isn't for everyone and if you really want to learn it/be satisfied with it at the higher level, you're going to have to put in work. If I offended you in anyway, then I apologize again. That was not the intention of the post.

^.^

I have PMs stacking up and I'll get back to them after my daughter's birthday today!

congrats and enjoy!

Need to learn the Tag Assaults of Jun and Asuka, Fight Lab only explains Combots.

Good Tag Assault fillers for Asuka are b+2,4,3 or just d/b+4,3. Those give you plenty of time to get in with Jun and end with whatever you want.

For Jun you can do f+3,f+1+2,2 or f,f+2,3. Those also give Asuka plenty of time and space for her to do what she wants.

Tag Assualt enders for Asuka can be running 3 or f,f+2,1+2
For Jun you can do f,f+2,3 or b+2,1,4. There are alot more options but these are easy and reliable choices.

Uthred

^.^

No worries, I probably read more into it than intended, problems of tone with internet communications etc.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Good Tag Assault fillers for Asuka are b+2,4,3 or just d/b+4,3. Those give you plenty of time to get in with Jun and end with whatever you want.

For Jun you can do f+3,f+1+2,2 or f,f+2,3. Those also give Asuka plenty of time and space for her to do what she wants.

For Jun you can do f,f+2,3 or b+2,1,4. There are alot more options but these are easy and reliable choices.

Another solid filler for Asuka is 2,3.

For Asuka and Jun I tend to stick to WR3 for their enders unless we're getting some wall action.

kyo27

Anyone else disappointed with the customization? Definitely not as good as soulcalibur or virtua fighter in this regard.

Esura

Banned

I know I didn't ask this question but this gonna come in handy for me.

How nice and convenient that there is so many Asuka and Jun players here. I tried working Julia into my Asuka party but it ain't working. Gotta stick with everyone's favorite MILF.

Onemic

Just read through the prima guide sample, and it looks amazing. Gives a basic lowdown on the strengths of a character and their general playstyle, exactly what I've been looking for. Totally gonna get the guide before I get back home from class.

Top Bottom