• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

what about soul calibur? i'm worried about it after sc5. :(

If Namco stops making Soul Calibur, it would be their fault for rushing out SC5 instead of finishing the damn game. They should just rerelease it with more characters and some actual single player content this time. Make a WiiU version while they're at it and include Link again for instant sales.

DEATH™

If Namco stops making Soul Calibur, it would be their fault for rushing out SC5 instead of finishing the damn game. They should just rerelease it with more characters and some actual single player content this time. Make a WiiU version while they're at it and include Link again for instant sales.

The reason they rushed SCV is because SFxT is gonna be released on the time SCV should come out... It would be justified if SFxT didn't flop...

kuroshiki

I'm not sure why so many people agree to this.

I mean, fight lab is a great way to learn the basics, and Tekken always has been a lot more ''button-basher friendly'' than let's say the SF series.

I consider myself a mediocre player at best, and the last Tekken I played intensively is TTT, which is years ago..

Still I seem to manage so far, in the beginner-stage of online play it looks like knowing when to block and punish already brings you several wins.

Oh well, I hope that more people buy the game so Namco won't stop making new versions.

Uh. When novice players play against semi-knowledgeable player online, the guy has zero chance of winning. The new TT2 is not button masher friendly at all. If you don't know how to do tag assault combo you will be massacred.

Just grab anyone and let him/her play TT2 and see what they say. You may be tekken expert, but even some original TT1 players are having hard time adjusting.

SFXT ruined the tekken brand. Game over.

I really hope that the sales for this amazing game are not disappointing. I always thought SFXT appealed more to the SF community than the Tekken community. If that is the case though, there is really no hope for this COD-loving industry.

DEATH™

devastator, naoki's eating too much damage from lars :p

Also, darn WS 1 juggles? Your friend's good...

And he won against TRUE!'s solo alisa!!!

Nyx

Uh. When novice players play against semi-knowledgeable player online, the guy has zero chance of winning. The new TT2 is not button masher friendly at all. If you don't know how to do tag assault combo you will be massacred.

Just grab anyone and let him/her play TT2 and see what they say. You may be tekken expert, but even some original TT1 players are having hard time adjusting.

My GF played some games last night, she never plays fighting games, and she won several games vs the CPU, and even a few rounds vs me. ;)
In my opinion Tekken definitely is more button-basher friendly, as there are no QCF moves etc.

Oh and Tag Assault combo’s necessary ?
Yeah probably in medium to high level play, but there’s also low level play you know. ;)

Anyway, when I have a bunch of friends over, of which most are casual gamers, Tekken is the first game they want to play as they feel like they have a chance on winning, when I pull out SSF4 of SFxT, no one wants to play.

neohwa

Street Fighter X Tekken was a great game although TTT2 and Tekken 6 were more awesome.

but i think SF X Tekken really help out both brands and in no way hurts them. just want to put that in here. :)

Westlo

Lol @ ppl blaming sfxtk, t6 dmg the brand, why you think namco forecast 2 mil shipments of a game that's the sequel to something that shipped 3.5 mil..

For non arcade players the series peaked at t3. Scv numbers where well down on IV.

@ noise

It shipped not sold that much, namco floooded the channels....

DEATH™;42344365 said:
I wish I still live in Vallejo... I'll like to visit you guys someday... I'm gonna be FREE to you guys lol

Good ol Vallejo, dat super wal mart. Im ass dude and unfortunately I dont get a chance to play with the likes of Naoki often. He plays with bronson, naps and all the beasts of norcal. I'm gonna try to be more active for TTT2 though and try to attend more sessions.

danmaku

Just got my copy of the game, was able to get the online pass code to work, but the extra character one didn't work for some reason "There is a problem with the offer associated with this code." I also got another card with a code (doesn't look like an xbox live code) and I have no idea what it is cos its all in Japanese. Had some area to scratch away to reveal the code, and it says +100something! in big letters. Anyone know how I can use that?

Do you have a JP copy?
I got that too, I guess it's for the arcade version, as it bears the "TTT2 Unlimited" logo. Maybe some bonus money or items. Also, the preorder bonus code needs to be used with a japanese account, it won't work with an Euro/US account, at least on Xbox (but you can use the characters with any gamertag on the console).

My GF played some games last night, she never plays fighting games, and she won several games vs the CPU, and even a few rounds vs me. ;)
In my opinion Tekken definitely is more button-basher friendly, as there are no QCF moves etc.

Oh and Tag Assault combo’s necessary ?
Yeah probably in medium to high level play, but there’s also low level play you know. ;)

Anyway, when I have a bunch of friends over, of which most are casual gamers, Tekken is the first game they want to play as they feel like they have a chance on winning, when I pull out SSF4 of SFxT, no one wants to play.

I think Tekken is more firendly at very low, button-mashing level. It's totally random, but you see lots of awesome moves with no effort at all. The big problem is when you move away from that stage and want to get a little better at the game. That's where you hit a brick wall of frames, moves and BDC, scrubs will beat you by mashing buttons because you don't know their moves and many will just give up. SF games are not that intimidating to learn.

It shipped not sold that much, namco floooded the channels....

well, thats still 3.5m copies worth of money in Namco's bank.

Do you have a JP copy?
I got that too, I guess it's for the arcade version, as it bears the "TTT2 Unlimited" logo. Maybe some bonus money or items. Also, the preorder bonus code needs to be used with a japanese account, it won't work with an Euro/US account, at least on Xbox (but you can use the characters with any gamertag on the console).

yeah its 100m credits for your arcade account :D

DEATH™

WHIFF = hit's nothing but air...

Now I'm kinda scared for solo mode... that needs tweaking... It's ok if tag can do as much damage...

BTW devastator, you in Daly City? Just asking lol...

Nyx

I think Tekken is more firendly at very low, button-mashing level. It's totally random, but you see lots of awesome moves with no effort at all. The big problem is when you move away from that stage and want to get a little better at the game. That's where you hit a brick wall of frames, moves and BDC, scrubs will beat you by mashing buttons because you don't know their moves and many will just give up. SF games are not that intimidating to learn.

Agreed on the first bit, but in my experience most people find SF games a lot harder to learn than Tekken.

I mean pressing forward twice and then a button is a lot easier than doing a backward half circle move before pressing a button, right?

About framedata etc., that's most important for high level/tournament-play imo, and how many people of the playerbase go for that level?

Agreed on the first bit, but in my experience most people find SF games a lot harder to learn than Tekken.

I mean pressing forward twice and then a button is a lot easier than doing a backward half circle move before pressing a button, right?

Tekken has half circle moves too, just saying, just the ammount of moves per character makes tekken way harder to learn

Tekken has half circle moves too, just saying, just the ammount of moves per character makes tekken way harder to learn

Most people(even at tournament levels) will only use 10-15 of them regularly.

It's the way the game is designed. A move for every situation so you never find yourself freezing up trying to perform some ridiculous motion.
Also it makes learning multiple characters a bit easier than in most fighters. Since you can expect them all to have the same types of moves with relatively similar commands.

Nyx

Yeah, but a lot less iirc.

Also it makes learning multiple characters a bit easier than in most fighters. Since you can expect them all to have the same types of moves with relatively similar commands.

And this indeed.

Wait a second, i don´t agree with that at all, case in point, Street Fighter, if you are good with a Shoto, for example Ken, you can play Ryu, Akuma, Dan, etc without much trouble, not exactly the same level yeah, but you could play more or less fine, in Tekken, if you manage to be good with someone, and then pick another character, you can try some motions or moves but you will not be remotely close to the gameplay level you had with the first one, too many moves, too many variations, very different gameplay styles (with some exceptions of course Forest-Marshal and such)

If we are talking button-mashing or entry level, then maybe some could find easier tekken, basic 3 hit combos with the punch/kick buttons and such, and in that case i would agree, but if we are talking about learning and knowing what we are doing, tekken (and Virtua Fighter, DOA, etc) are way more complex imho.

Wait a second, i don´t agree with that at all, case in point, Street Fighter, if you are good with a Shoto, for example Ken, you can play Ryu, Akuma, Dan, etc without much trouble, not exactly the same level yeah, but you could play more or less fine, in Tekken, if you manage to be good with someone, and then pick another character, you can try some motions or moves but you will not be remotely close to the gameplay level you had with the first one, too many moves, too many variations, very different gameplay styles (with some exceptions of course Forest-Marshal and such)

The thing about Tekken compared to Street Fighter is that most of the cast has the same mechanics in terms of movement/mobility. In Street Fighter you have the Shotos who have about the same range/speed when it comes to walking, jumping, and so on. But then you have characters like Blanka, Dudley, Zangief, Guile, and a ton of other characters who vary wildly in terms of movement and thus the options that are available. At this point it's not just about memorizing moves because you also have to know how to get in just to land a punch. In Tekken pretty much the entire cast has about the same range of movement. Once you learn the intricacies of getting around you can apply that knowledge to any character you wish and you're already a few steps ahead. Also again the moves aren't complicated to figure out. Most players will stumble upon them with just a few minutes of mashing combinations and before long they'll be able to figure out what works and what doesn't.

In the end it's all the same. Do moves/combos enough and eventually they'll bore into your skull and you're as liable to forget them in the heat of a match as your own name.

patapuf

From what I can tell it's behind Sleeping Dogs and Mario, how is that a disaster?

EDIT: ok, that was only for UK, yeah it's not the best sales.

Sleeping dogs is already out a few weeks, which means numbers are pretty low. It's not a disaster but i doubt we are going to see 3.5 millions again.

CPS2

Do you have a JP copy?

I think I got the Asian version which is NTSC-J but pretty much region free. Thanks for the info, that all makes sense now. I don't really mind waiting to get those extra characters, wasn't even sure there'd be any codes included with the game.

panda21

Using Paul/Kazuya at the moment, but want to try something different. anyone suggest another pair? my favourite chardawgs in other fighitng games are Makoto (SF) and Akira (VF) but i dont know if texxen has any similar fighting styles in it.

also can you download more ghosts?

Using Paul/Kazuya at the moment, but want to try something different. anyone suggest another pair? my favourite chardawgs in other fighitng games are Makoto (SF) and Akira (VF) but i dont know if texxen has any similar fighting styles in it.

If you like Akira, try Leo. Lots of similarities. AFAIK, new ghosts download every time you log online. Their ranks are marked with the blue online dots in Ghost Battle.

Doomshine

Leo's fighting style is similar to Akira's.

EDIT: beaten

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
How much time/effort would it take to be decent at this game and know how the fighting system works when I've never played Tekken?

Note: I am a *master* at Street Fighter IV.

Xav

what about soul calibur? i'm worried about it after sc5. :(

By now I'm sure the game has sold beyond the 1.5 million mark, these are great numbers for a fighting game. Currently the industry seems to think anything that sells less than Call of Duty is a failure. Considering how Namco rushed the Project Soul Team to get SoulCalibur V done so it wouldn't get in the way of Street Fighter X Tekken & Tag Tag Tournament 2 I'm shocked the game turned out as good as it did with solid sales to boot.
I hate how all Street Fighter X Tekken did was cause SoulCalibur V to be rushed and damage the Tekken brand going into Tekken Tag Tournament 2. If I were Namco I'd be pissed.

Top Bottom