• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

"I'm not a Julia player, but I'm always reminded of her when I see Akira played, maybe it's just the elbows?"

Well, Julia/Michelle use (mostly) the same style as Leo and Akira so that's no surprise either. I do think they're more similar in gameplay to Akira than Leo, though.

Esura

Banned
I have this weird inkling that this sample combo of Asuka's I learned may not be all that. It only does 66 damage.

Do any Asuka/Jun players here have their own combos they use?

OSHAN

This may have been answered so my apology in advance if so: can you do pair play online? My friend was over last night and we wanted to team up and go online but couldn't figure it out.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Ugh, shit has been busy lately. Should be on tomorrow to play some games with GAF. I want to see SD's secret team.

Ha! I haven't been playing much recently (on that Borderlands 2 train at the moment). I might get back into it later today and continue working on my new setup.

I have this weird inkling that this sample combo of Asuka's I learned may not be all that. It only does 66 damage.

Do any Asuka/Jun players here have their own combos they use?

Off the top of my head:

Asuka (solo): f+2_ df+2, uf+3, 2,1, 2,1, 1+2 (B!), ff+2, 1

You can have Jun come in for a (TA!) instead after the (B!) and end it with Asuka's WR3 as well.

CSX

This may have been answered so my apology in advance if so: can you do pair play online? My friend was over last night and we wanted to team up and go online but couldn't figure it out.

Yes, it becomes a selectable option alongside Solo and Tag during character selection.

Your name will be in purple to tell your opponent you are in pair play mode.

MechaX

Bleh. Haven't really had too much time to play this game since last week and I am resolved to get most of the movement stuff down before going online.

Unfortunately, with this backdash cancel stuff, there would be a major benefit of having a person IRL to tell me where and how I am messing up the timing for this (yes, I have watched both ATP and Blackpriest's backdash stuff).

Ferrio

Banned
Ugh, below 50% now in ranked. Going up against people with 500 games doesn't do well for my win ratio. Think I'll hit player matches more until I get a more solid understanding of fundamentals.

Lokbob

3d games as a beginner are sooo frustrating. I know my combos from various moves, my punishers, my bound moves, how to korean backdash etc. but who cares herpderpi mashes his strings with lows and you don't know wtf is going on.
Just smashing on my stick without thinking would win me more matches.

And good luck remembering a bazilion moves and their properties - this is gonna take me 5 years to get decent at. :D

Uthred

Man. recently revealed sales data for this game is not looking good at all.

and I do understand though. The game is just WAY TOO hardcore for novice players to play.

That seems unlikely to be the main reason, how would novice players be put off by a game they havent yet played?

Sayah

3d games as a beginner are sooo frustrating. I know my combos from various moves, my punishers, my bound moves, how to korean backdash etc. but who cares herpderpi mashes his strings with lows and you don't know wtf is going on.
Just smashing on my stick without thinking would win me more matches.

And good luck remembering a bazilion moves and their properties - this is gonna take me 5 years to get decent at. :D

It's overwhelming at first. Don't let that get in your way.

Ferrio

Banned
Wish I could find something that describes the mechanics of wallsplats. What can and can't you do?

Also what is the limitation of launchers. Say I launch with something that's non tag cancelable (d/f+2), is it feasible to be able to do a tag cancelable launcher? Or does the game do some extreme pushback in that case?

Sayah

Wish I could find something that describes the mechanics of wallsplats. What can and can't you do?

Also what is the limitation of launchers. Say I launch with something that's non tag cancelable (d/f+2), is it feasible to be able to do a tag cancelable launcher? Or does the game do some extreme pushback in that case?

You have to use a bound move after wall splats. and then follow up with whichever attack your character has that takes the most damage.

Using Leo as an example (since you use her): After a wall splat do b+2, 1+2. Then crouch and do her rising 1,4,1.

As far as launchers, you have to experiment. For instance, if I'm using Anna and do d/f+2, I can't switch with Nina. However, I can follow the d/b+2 launcher with her other d+3, 2 launcher and bring out nina. Then bound with Nina using ivory cutter and follow up with tag assault damage or whatever else. Each team is unique. You may have to test and experiment yourself.

Edit: Also figure out which moves your character(s) have that can wall splat the opponent when you're near a wall. With Leo, again, for example, if you have your back against the wall and your opponent is close by, use her f,f+1+2 grab and it'll wall splat the opponent. Follow that with up with what I said above.

Also, other tips. After you do Leo's f,f+2 or her d+4, 2+3 and hits the opponent, make sure to hold 1+2 right after the move connects. This will allow you to charge. And charged Leo is scary Leo.

zlatko

Banned
Still trying to make sure I play all of the cast to see if anyone else jumps out on me and clicks with me for play style.

Right now I'm 100% set on Bob. Fast mix up machine who does a ton of damage. I tried Leo last night, and although I'm rarely one to play girl characters in a fighter, she is fantastic so I may do more practice tonight with her to see if she has some good synergy with Bob.

Also, is anyone else noticing the most picked team is Jun/Asuka or vice versa? I run into that combo sooooo much on ranked. I see it dominating the leaderboards on 360 as well.

alstein

I don't get the Asuka popularity- I use her, but she was mid-tier in T6.

Ryoko Shiraishi's voice is sexy as hell, maybe that's the reason...

And yeah, once I hit 50% in ranked, decided to stop playing ranked period. No point since I'll never put in the effort needed to main the game.

Dereck

I don't get the Asuka popularity- I use her, but she was mid-tier in T6.

Ryoko Shiraishi's voice is sexy as hell, maybe that's the reason...

And yeah, once I hit 50% in ranked, decided to stop playing ranked period. No point since I'll never put in the effort needed to main the game.
I would play ranked more if my wins and losses were not recorded. Only my statistics, not involving wins or losses.

CSX

You have to use a bound move after wall splats. and then follow up with whichever attack your character has that takes the most damage.

Using Leo as an example (since you use her): After a wall splat do b+2, 1+2. Then crouch and do her rising 1,4,1.

As far as launchers, you have to experiment. For instance, if I'm using Anna and do d/f+2, I can't switch with Nina. However, I can follow the d/b+2 launcher with her other d+3, 2 launcher and bring out nina. Then bound with Nina using ivory cutter and follow up with tag assault damage or whatever else. Each team is unique. You may have to test and experiment yourself.

To add on, if you already did a bound move before getting the wall splat in the combo, then you can't bound on the wall. At that point you gotta have another move that will land on wall that doesnt require bound though many characters have moves that land on wall, bound or not.

The general rules for how you can tell if you can tag buffer a launcher are:

1. The inputs are not "standard" (df2 or uf4 moves can't be tagged)
2. It actually causes the character to be launched into the air or be stunned WITHOUT having to be a counter hit.

I would play ranked more if my wins and losses were not recorded. Only my statistics, not involving wins or losses.

But player matches are recorded on WTF

Ferrio

Banned
To add on, if you already did a bound move before getting the wall splat in the combo, then you can't bound on the wall. At that point you gotta have another move that will land on wall that doesnt require bound though many characters have moves that land on wall, bound or not.

2. It actually causes the character to be launched into the air or be stunned WITHOUT having to be a counter hit.

I know which of mine are tag cancelable or not, just wasn't sure if they were allowd to be used in a combo except as launchers.

Another problem I have is carrying someone to wall with a combo that was too long, so I end up wiffing the rest of the combo.

Guess I have to know the stage sizes and use appropriate lengthed combos for each situation?

zlatko

Banned

I sort of agree. It'd be nice if they did the SC2 method where your win loss is not recorded until you are a certain rank, and at that point it will show it so that it's for the hardcore/top tier players.

Sayah

I don't even care about win/loss ratio. lol I go on losing streaks sometimes when I've been playing for too long and get a headache or something, haha. But yeah, W/L ratio doesn't matter much especially when you have people with over 100 wins and 5 losses (too good to be true) and they disconnect the match right before losing.

Yeah, this too.

CSX

I know which of mine are tag cancelable or not, just wasn't sure if they were allowd to be used in a combo except as launchers.

Another problem I have is carrying someone to wall with a combo that was too long, so I end up wiffing the rest of the combo.

Guess I have to know the stage sizes and use appropriate lengthed combos for each situation?

Oh you can be very fancy and tag out of those moves in the middle of a combo ;)

Watch this combo video for reference. You'll see lots of tagging in middle combos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-J_BAlVpTM&feature=plcp

and yes, you have to get to used to improvising on your juggles so you get the clean wall splat.

Sayah

Yeah, Tekken is the one game where knowing the stages can also be very crucial if you want to do maximum damage. After playing T6 for so long, I know, for instance, which moves to use that will carry the opponent to the wall and, in other instances, I'll know when to bound ahead of time because I won't reach the wall.

Same thing with TTT2, the more you play in the various stages and the more familiarized you become, the better you'll know when to and when not to wall carry. Also check the edit on my original post. May be useful.

Dereck

I don't even care about win/loss ratio. lol I go on losing streaks sometimes when I've been playing for too long and get a headache or something, haha. But yeah, W/L ratio doesn't matter much especially when you have people with over 100 wins and 5 losses (too good to be true) and they disconnect the match right before losing.
The rewards given for winning influence people to grab frequently, exploit certain attacks, disconnect, spam, etc. To me when I play online I like to play fairly, which is a bit futile in itself because people don't tend to play against people how they would prefer to played against. The best kind of fights to me are player matches. Player matches are local matches without the person being there in the same room.

I prefer them to ranked at anytime, it's just that ranking system that bugs me, even though it's not really a big deal. This is almost the case with any online fighting game.

GrayFoxPL

https://twitter.com/Harada_TEKKEN/status/248602223632846849

I wonder if the customization feature is in regards to the new characters or that we are getting new items for everyone.

Just don't touch the netcode man!

Dat Bruce Lee.

Also, other tips. After you do Leo's f,f+2 or her d+4, 2+3 and hits the opponent, make sure to hold 1+2 right after the move connects. This will allow you to charge. And charged Leo is scary Leo.

uf+1,2 also charges. Charged strings are b+3,1,2 and db+4,2,1 that made many wins for me in T6. I didn't experiment with tag2 Leo too much but I think b+3,2,1 lost it's pushback on block and noting that you can't block while charged may mean death to Leo when she's blocked.

I think I'll settle to Lee - Steve team. I put a lot of time and tears to Steve in T6 and it seems I still remember how to use him. Shame 4,1,2 his best launcher is useless now. When it launches in tag2 - it's called a miracle and even then the opponent gets turned backward so you can't use old T6 juggles. But at least he has new moves and needed peakaboo transitions. I need to figure out better tag combos, damage is still low when started with Lee but wall carry can be very nice, maybe that's the point.

alstein

I sort of agree. It'd be nice if they did the SC2 method where your win loss is not recorded until you are a certain rank, and at that point it will show it so that it's for the hardcore/top tier players.

That's a great idea, maybe make the rank optional to boot- so you can refuse the rank.

I really wish ranked modes weren't mandatory in fighters (it's a Microsoft requirement for all games). I think they do more harm than good.

Pachimari

My apologies to the GAFFERS for not being on the PS3 that often this week. I got a lot to do but will be on Tekken from the weekend.

Btw, the postman came here today with my Hori Pro V3 and strategy guide but I weren't home, I'll pick it up tomorrow.

GrayFoxPL

Watched RE Damnation and made pretty damn good Leon out of Lee. Shame no screenshot option.

Gif from item vid:

I need to fiddle with those.

ibcqy1fynPWEQy.gif

iiHJQub9EUHzU.gif

ibazRbm4QASguL.gif

zlatko

Banned
Let's go Xbox 360 TTT2 Team woot! We hit level 2 and are about half way to level 3. :D

So question about teams/WTF site:

I look at the roster to see myself and says I play Steve/Alex. Issue is I have YET to even touch Alex once. In fact, my main teams are Bob by himself, and Steve/Paul. Any clue on how I can correct that?

Also, is BP the +orange points you get when you win online that go towards the team leveling up?

Final question: What do the aliens do when you win a match?

Ferrio

Banned
So is there some trick to getting position settings working in training mode?

I set it to current position, but when i hit select+x... the place it resets me to is not where I was when I picked current position. Is there some secret key combination to set the current position?

GrayFoxPL

Unknown is easiest boss since non demon Tekken bosses like Heihachi. Jinpachi and even giant chicken own her ass.

I love Jun's transformation sequence though.

Top Bottom