• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_Elysia

Fifty one hours...still no hook from a skeleton or grappling hook from a chest. Nor that awesome green vine thing that shoots in a bunch of different directions from the trailer. No rocket boots, no Sunfury, no flippers. I think that's it. I think I have thirteen of everything else.

Enco

16 hours in and I have nothing of value.

Found some gold, topaz, sapphire and the purple stuff. My brother got a hook. That's all. Still enjoying the game a lot though.

Screw that creepy old man outside the dungeon. Come back at night he said. I talked to him and he summoned that huge skeleton boss. No way can I tackle him with my half set of copper armour and bow (golden).

edit: Saw a shooting star crush 5 or so zombies/eyes. Was pretty hilarious.

Audioboxer

Mr_Elysia said:
Fifty one hours...still no hook from a skeleton or grappling hook from a chest. Nor that awesome green vine thing that shoots in a bunch of different directions from the trailer. No rocket boots, no Sunfury, no flippers. I think that's it. I think I have thirteen of everything else.

Damn, I got a hook on my first skeleton kill. I have another as well now :/

Any idea what to do if I get a "server found" message when I try to join my friends server? We're both on the same network. Port 31337 is open. I can't figure out how to create a home server for the life of me for this game.

Enco

VGChampion said:
Any idea what to do if I get a "server found" message when I try to join my friends server? We're both on the same network. Port 31337 is open. I can't figure out how to create a home server for the life of me for this game.
Download hamachi.

It's extremely easy to use and works great.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
In my feeble attempts to find a water candle, I gathered a cobalt suit and thus crafted a space gun. I just want a sunfury...

The M.O.B

Dice said:
In my feeble attempts to find a water candle, I gathered a cobalt suit and thus crafted a space gun. I just want a sunfury...

Why don't you just go to the dungeon? It has a ton of water candles.

Is there any GAF server up at the moment? Even if just a couple people want to try multiplayer, I'd be down for something later tonight.

At the moment, I'm kind of at an impasse by myself. I have a decent health pool, a phase sword, and a couple of guns plus the demonite bow, but my armor is weak. Chest and legs for me are still silver (haven't found enough gold or anything higher to upgrade them), though I do have a meteorite helmet.

I've made it to hell and had the chance to grab some hellstone bars, but I keep getting wrecked by the bone serpents and imps. I'm not sure what else I can do though in my current state. I was able to beat the Eye of Cthulu, but that was still a decent challenge. If I had to face him anywhere but my fighting tower above my house, I'd get wrecked easily.

Finding more gold deposits seems like a crapshoot, and going back to the corruption to find another shadow orb in hopes of getting another meteor is tough since I still can't mine that one kind of block with just a golden pickaxe.

Other than that, I suppose I can just kill eyeballs all night for lenses to summon Cthulu and farm him for mats.

Have my Necro Armor Set and found 3 Blue Moons but no Sunfury yet. Bought the Minishark. I'd still like to find a set of Rocket Boots, a Shiny Red Balloon, finish up my Cobalt Armor Set, and craft a Star Cannon before calling it quits.

I'm to the point now where I'm mostly creating large worlds and running to either side of the map, fighting Skeletron, and doing a quick loot of the dungeon. It was fun for a bit, but I need something more to do to invest much more time in the game. Despite that, I've really enjoyed the 20 odd hours I've put into the game. I'd probably even come back for more MMO style updates for a bit before I get too weary of the formula, but hopefully they have more interesting content planned. I'm a bitch for Metroidvania/Castleroid games and this certainly did the trick.

CarbonatedFalcon said:
Finding more gold deposits seems like a crapshoot, and going back to the corruption to find another shadow orb in hopes of getting another meteor is tough since I still can't mine that one kind of block with just a golden pickaxe.

You can mine meteorite with a golden pickaxe. But you'll need the obsidian helmet (20 obsidian ores), that you can make easily connecting a water pool to a lava pool.

Also, is easy to get enough hellstone for an armour. You only need to find a good place and get ready to die a lot.

DangerousDave said:
You can mine meteorite with a golden pickaxe. But you'll need the obsidian helmet (20 obsidian ores), that you can make easily connecting a water pool to a lava pool.

I know that. I already have almost infinite obsidian. There's the one kind of block in the corruption though that the golden pixkaxe can't get through. At that level you need TNT or some kind of special powder from the dryad.

CarbonatedFalcon said:
I know that. I already have almost infinite obsidian. There's the one kind of block in the corruption though that the golden pixkaxe can't get through. At that level you need TNT or some kind of special powder from the dryad.

And... why don't you buy the powder?

But maybe is easier to get hellstone to make a molten pickaxe (is cheaper than armour).

Mr_Elysia

CarbonatedFalcon said:
Is there any GAF server up at the moment? Even if just a couple people want to try multiplayer, I'd be down for something later tonight.

At the moment, I'm kind of at an impasse by myself. I have a decent health pool, a phase sword, and a couple of guns plus the demonite bow, but my armor is weak. Chest and legs for me are still silver (haven't found enough gold or anything higher to upgrade them), though I do have a meteorite helmet.

I've made it to hell and had the chance to grab some hellstone bars, but I keep getting wrecked by the bone serpents and imps. I'm not sure what else I can do though in my current state. I was able to beat the Eye of Cthulu, but that was still a decent challenge. If I had to face him anywhere but my fighting tower above my house, I'd get wrecked easily.

Other than that, I suppose I can just kill eyeballs all night for lenses to summon Cthulu and farm him for mats.

Finding more ore is a crapshoot, and it's exactly what you're going to have to do. Just dig around man, soon you'll be swimming in gold.

Or, if you're willing to die a lot, trace your path back to hell, bring some wall blocks, some bricks, a door, a bed, a table and a chair, a torch and a piggy-bank. Build a small place just above the hell layer. Right click your bed to set your spawn there. Then do your runs and get what you can. You'll need to mine obsidian for your hellstone gear too. This is formed on tiles where water meets lava and is abundant. You'll probably want to do this first and make an obsidian skull so you can even stand on hellstone.

Your other option is to buy from the demolitionist to destroy the corrupt tiles and get to the orbs. Summon The Eater of Worlds every third one who drops shadowscale stuff, meteorites fall.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Can anybody tell me how to mine the purple stuff in this pic?

vuuew.png

I thought it was meteorite ore judging by the wiki, but my gold pickaxe isn't doing anything to them.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Monroeski said:
Can anybody tell me how to mine the purple stuff in this pic?

I thought it was meteorite ore judging by the wiki, but my gold pickaxe isn't doing anything to them.

It's ebonstone. You need a nightmare (demonite) or molten (hellstone) pickaxe. Or dynamite.

When you get through it, find glowing shadow orbs and bust them with your hammer, a meteor may randomly land somewhere on your world in the near future. You'll get a message on your screen if so.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
xelios said:
It's ebonstone. You need a nightmare (meteorite) or molten (hellstone) pickaxe. Or dynamite.

When you get through it, find glowing shadow orbs and bust them with your hammer, a meteor may randomly land somewhere on your world in the near future. You'll get a message on your screen if so.
Gracias.

Sciz

xelios said:
It's ebonstone. You need a nightmare (meteorite) or molten (hellstone) pickaxe. Or dynamite.
No such thing as a meteorite pick. Demonite works, though, as does the purification powder from the dryad.

Dynamite is a lot more fun, though.

xelios

That's what I meant sorry. Nightmare (demonite/shadowscales) pick. Talking about the meteor got me mixed up I guess.

Also you can bust that orb in your screen without digging through to it.

The thing that really excites me about this game is that it already has a ton of content for only being in development 4-5 months. My $10 was well spent as I already have 18 hours logged. I think I read the price is supposed to go up though once they implement new content, and man is there room for expansion. The great thing is that new stuff should be easy to add in.

One item I would like to see is something that wards off enemies or prevents them from spawning so you can be more free to build stuff. It would have to be an endgame item for balance reasons though.

Lots of room for new biomes and bosses though. Another thing I would like to see is valves that work like doors but for vertical sections to help channel water or lava. And as many people have mentioned, some sort of portals or other method of quick travel to navigate the map more quickly.

One last thing I would like is for the boomerang or hookshot (or something else) to have the ability to grab blocks/coins/etc. and bring them back to you. Usually that's how those types of items work in Zelda and other games, so the inability to retrieve items from range here is surprising. (Better yet, a magnet accessory!)

BooJoh

I finally finished getting my Cobalt Armor set, bought a Minishark since I made over 1 plat farming hornets, then went to try Skeletron again, but he still killed me. I think I might need to work on my strategy because he's just hitting me way too often.

BooJoh said:
I finally finished getting my Cobalt Armor set, bought a Minishark since I made over 1 plat farming hornets, then went to try Skeletron again, but he still killed me. I think I might need to work on my strategy because he's just hitting me way too often.

You can make potions from mushrooms and gel by putting a glass bottle on a table to make an alchemy lab and chug those.

The alchemy lab is something I didn't even know about for a long time until I stumbled upon it in the wiki.

Brazil said:
When I heard of Terraria I thought it looked lame.
"Don't we already have Minecraft, isn't this just the same?"
I thought as I looked, seeing just one less dimension,
it must be trying to profit from Minecraft's ascension.

For though I'd not played Minecraft, I knew what it was,
and I thought to defend it, to champion its cause,
because surely this new game would be a cheap imitation
trying to fool me by changing dimension or location.

I ignored its existence as best as I could,
let others buy into it, as others would.
But one day I happened upon some video here,
and I must admit, I found it did endear...

I realised "This isn't like Minecraft at all!"
But something quite different, unique, and not small.
The world looked large and enticing and fun,
At once I was both shocked, enamoured and stunned.

I knew I would buy it, though when I knew not,
This would surely take up my time a whole lot.
I had things to do, I knew that for sure,
but in the end I can't resist the lure.

So now I'll jump in, as I devise
This poem, in the hope you'll find me worthy of the prize.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So this makes a total of 6 hours (3 sessions) of farming for a sunfury and getting nothing. And apparently water candle doesn't increase the spawn rate of hell. Whyyyyy did they make it so rare? Is it like a .3% drop rate or something?

It isn't even about the difficulty of the bone serpents, it's the waiting. You wait and wait and wait, then some imps spawn, then you wait more, then more imps spawn, then more, then you wait some more, and some more, and still more, then more imps spawn, then you wait more, then a bone serpent spawns and you kill it and get some money because it doesn't want to give you anything cool.

Once in a blue moon two bone seprents will spawn, and as soon as I kill one, the other runs away. I swear those are the ones that hold things and whoever programmed them is an asshole.

Huggy

Man, what to do? Face the bosses for demonite or face the imps for hellstone?
Can't get meteorite since the shadowsorbs are often encased in ebonstone.

Huggy said:
Man, what to do? Face the bosses for demonite or face the imps for hellstone?
Can't get meteorite since the shadowsorbs are often encased in ebonstone.

Well placed Dynamite. It's pretty much the quickest route over that bump in difficulty aside from Rambo-ing Hellstone and Obsidian.

Dice said:
So this makes a total of 6 hours (3 sessions) of farming for a sunfury and getting nothing. And apparently water candle doesn't increase the spawn rate of hell. Whyyyyy did they make it so rare? Is it like a .3% drop rate or something?

It isn't even about the difficulty of the bone serpents, it's the waiting. You wait and wait and wait, then some imps spawn, then you wait more, then more imps spawn, then more, then you wait some more, and some more, and still more, then more imps spawn, then you wait more, then a bone serpent spawns and you kill it and get some money because it doesn't want to give you anything cool.

Once in a blue moon two bone seprents will spawn, and as soon as I kill one, the other runs away. I swear those are the ones that hold things and whoever programmed them is an asshole.

Yeah I'm definitely done farming for that for now, irritating as hell. I'd still love a Cobalt set for Maximum Rocket Boots, but I'm pretty much done otherwise.

Grinchy

Banned
charlemagne said:
When I heard of Terraria I thought it looked lame.
"Don't we already have Minecraft, isn't this just the same?"
I thought as I looked, seeing just one less dimension,
it must be trying to profit from Minecraft's ascension.

For though I'd not played Minecraft, I knew what it was,
and I thought to defend it, to champion its cause,
because surely this new game would be a cheap imitation
trying to fool me by changing dimension or location.

I ignored its existence as best as I could,
let others buy into it, as others would.
But one day I happened upon some video here,
and I must admit, I found it did endear...

I realised "This isn't like Minecraft at all!"
But something quite different, unique, and not small.
The world looked large and enticing and fun,
At once I was both shocked, enamoured and stunned.

I knew I would buy it, though when I knew not,
This would surely take up my time a whole lot.
I had things to do, I knew that for sure,
but in the end I can't resist the lure.

So now I'll jump in, as I devise
This poem, in the hope you'll find me worthy of the prize.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Terraria is fun
I hope you get a copy

NOW who's the poet?

BooJoh

CarbonatedFalcon said:
You can make potions from mushrooms and gel by putting a glass bottle on a table to make an alchemy lab and chug those.

The alchemy lab is something I didn't even know about for a long time until I stumbled upon it in the wiki.
I bring a whole stack of potions, the problem is I'm getting hit enough that I end up dying while my potions are on cooldown :(

What do you guys do at night, just man up and sally forth?

And I take it nighttime affects the underground spawn, too? Like when I'm 200 meters down a mineshaft with an endless stream of slimes falling on my head, that's because it's nighttime?

Grinchy

Banned
slidewinder said:

And I take it nighttime affects the underground spawn, too? Like when I'm 200 meters down a mineshaft with an endless stream of slimes falling on my head, that's because it's nighttime?
I love running around at night time and fighting things. BTW once you have a bunch of houses made, and more and more people move in, less and less stuff spawns at your...spawn. In fact, I no longer see any enemies at my little spawn city.

I may be wrong, but I don't believe time makes a difference while mining.

BooJoh

Once you can handle zombies and eyes easily and especially if you have a mining helmet or orb of light, night is a great time to run around looking for fallen stars.

slidewinder said:

I'm usually underground at night so it doesn't affect me much. The only time I'm really at the surface now is to go back home for the npcs and my crafting stuff/chests or to get wood. Wooden platforms are the most useful thing.

If I am out at night I'm usually just constantly flinging the boomerang to light my way, though I have put torches down on a fair amount of the surface in either direction.

Blood moon though - I just huddle inside and wall up the doors.

Cool, thanks for the advice. I wasn't sure about underground; sounds like it was probably the location I was at that was making for so many slimes.

saunderez

slidewinder said:

Starting out I used to work on my house during the night. But when the Guide decided he wanted to let zombies in I started barricading myself in a work area in the caves and mining until the sun comes up. Just use dirt blocks to essential box yourself in while you work on a seam, rinse repeat.

xelios

That's pretty. I got my 4 pair of rocket boots out of 2-3? goblin invasions.

Brazil said:
Ok, so:

WajWw.png

We have some awesome people here on GAF. Mr_Elysia, for example, is offering you guys 4 copies of Terraria. To win one, it's simple: tell us here in this thread why you'd like to play this great game.

I'll be the judge (and I promise to be fair - players who already have the game can give their opinions too, and I'll take them in consideration) and choose the 4 most creative or interesting answers. The deadline is the next tuesday.
I'm really intrigued by the description of this game being a cross between Metroidvania and Minecraft. I always wanted a game similar to Metroidvania that had multiple solutions to the obstacles in the game.

That mushroom farm is glorious.

Once I've powered up through enough gear, I plan to start a new world and be more organized and have something like that. My current layout is a little messy and redoing it would take more time than starting anew.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
CarbonatedFalcon said:

I set up shop about 50 blocks up from Hell (set my spawn point there) and just started plugging away at hellstone. I assume you have an obsidian skull first (connect a lake and a lava pit and you'll get plenty). Actually, I made 4, because the defense bonus stacks with each skull equipped. I think it took about 5 hours to get enough hellstone for the molten pick (total changes the game btw) and the full molten armor set. With the 4 skulls equipped plus the armor and bonus from the armor set, it's like my skin is made of diamonds.

I went down there with silver and gold armor, so it was definitely rewarding.

I've decided I want my next character to be a magic user and this one to be a gunslinger. To that end I really want to get the Phoenix Blaster, but handguns are a random chest drop and I just gotta look for it. In the meantime my goal is to save up for the Minishark. So, what's the quickest way to make some gold?
Freyjadour said:
Well placed Dynamite. It's pretty much the quickest route over that bump in difficulty aside from Rambo-ing Hellstone and Obsidian.
ahhh yeah I definitely went the Rambo route.

-Mikey-

Every screen from Mairu is so sick. I told myself I wouldn't play tonight. Thanks for changing my plans XD.

EDIT: @ Hawkian

I saved up every gem that I found along the way so I sold all of those and meteorite that I didn't need anymore. Found I had more than enough gold for the minishark and have over 40g left.

Think I've decided I'm just gonna power through and get a few more hellstone bars for a flamerang. It should only take 15 according to the wiki and I have 13 at the moment. Once I have that, I think I'll go back to the corruption and take on the Eater of Worlds/look for more shadow orbs. I'll slowly work my way back to hell from there.

I need to make a new room to attract the dryad though. Should be the last npc for me. Took awhile for the arms dealer to show up after I got a musket from my first shadow orb. If I get another meteorite to crash I can upgrade the flintlock into the space gun, but the armor is probably a priority.

ZZMitch

I promised myself I would go to bed at 10:30... then I found my first big gold deposit and it opened up a big cavern and... :( it is almost midnight. Whoopsies!

Hawkian said:
But my gems... I won't be regretting selling in two days? :-[

I sell any that I get more then 10 for each, since phaseblades only need 10.

Hawkian said:
But my gems... I won't be regretting selling in two days? :-[

They're only used for phaseblades at the moment and those only use 10 of a single type. The rarest gems are ruby and diamond, which make red and white phaseblades respectively. Though if you don't want those colors then it doesn't matter. I think topaz (gold) and amethyst (purple) are the most common.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Has there been any word on when they plan on making the online portion easier to access? I haven't tried it myself, so maybe it's not that bad, but this feels like a game that should be played with a friend. I haven't played it too much yet, but I was hoping to get a couple of my old minecraft pals over to this.

BooJoh

Like I said before, I made over 1 platinum farming hornets for cobalt armor, so the jungle seems pretty profitable, but I did probably kill nearly 1000 of the things before I got my full set. Ended up with like 4 chests, 3 boots, and one helmet. Plus I made Blade of Grass, upgraded my grappling hook, made a Thorn Chakram, found an enchanted boomerang, and some other stuff. The jungle is really profitable and not that hard if you have high end gear and be careful around man-eaters.

Also I think if you convert 1 stack of sand into 1 stack of bottles it's worth 50 silver, so if you feel like converting 100 stacks of sand into bottles that's an easy but not entirely quick way to make 50g.

Neki

BooJoh said:
Are you building an arena specifically to fight him? You'll need an arena and a good ranged weapon, at least a Demon Bow + fire arrows.

Dice said:

Lucky, I was flooding Hell and Bone Serpents love me, managed to fight 3 at the same time, killed them all, and 3 more spawned, so not fun.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Stahsky said:
Has there been any word on when they plan on making the online portion easier to access? I haven't tried it myself, so maybe it's not that bad, but this feels like a game that should be played with a friend. I haven't played it too much yet, but I was hoping to get a couple of my old minecraft pals over to this.

Honestly it was painless for me, but you have to forward a port to host. It sucks that we still have to do this kind of thing but maybe they'll improve it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom