• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terrorist attack at Charlie Hebdo magazine. 12 dead. 11 wounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darknight

Damn sucks those 2 are still at large.

You know I was watching some YT videos about the White House's response to this attack in France and there was this interview on Fox News (I know) with this dude Bill interviewing Josh (Secretary for WH) and at first it was fine but it gets so fucking off topic real quick going into the Keystone bullshit. "Oh if Obama is not willing to work with Reptiles, how will Obams help France wha wha my anus is on hot fire". I was like what the fuck is this asshole doing trying to get some points for his home team and ignoring the bigger picture of the attack?

God fuck Fox News. My condolences to French people out there and their families.

GIGN don't fuck around.

It's not the GIGN but the GIPN on these pictures back'd up by the RAID.

Just thought I'd clarify. A lot of people mix these two but they are different branch. GIGN is part of the Gendarmerie National wich is also part of the armed force.

The GIPN is the equivalent but for the Police. GIPN is nation wide, RAID operate in Paris and suburb.

Arnold shows his support:

SvSeu4K.png

Any updates?

Summary as of one hour ago:

- La traque des deux frères Kouachi se poursuivait dans la nuit de jeudi à vendredi, notamment la zone de Villers-Cotterêts dans l'Aisne. De nombreux policiers du RAID et du GIGN sont mobilisés. Dans la matinée, nous avons appris qu'ils avaient été repérés dans cette zone après avoir braqué une station-service. Puis dans la journée, les deux hommes en fuite auraient abandonné leur véhicule, une Clio grise. Ils seraient désormais à pied. Les recherches devaient continuer toute la nuit à l'aide d'hélicoptères. Cette traque donne lieu à des scènes hallucinantes où des policiers sur-équipés ratissent de petits villages picards à la recherche des suspects.

http://www.lefigaro.fr/actualite-fr...rlie-Hebdo-traque-freres-kouachi-attentat.php

tl;dr Special forces are still searching houses and areas in small villages in northern France. Helicopters have been deployed, too.

I just wanted to say that I feel physically sickened by this crime and my sympathies and condolences are with the victim's families and loved ones, and the survivors and their families and loved ones. I hope the perpetrators are brought to justice and that free speech should never capitulate to terrorism.

I have a million things running through my head right now, and I can't really express all of it in the way I want. I don't quite know what else I can say.

Mimosa97

Here are two NSFW cartoons of Charlie Hebdo i would like to share, to show what kind of dark humor they were into. These might shock some people but this is pretty standard satire in France so please don't feel offended.

http://www.article11.info/local/cache-vignettes/L491xH480/3-38-d985f.jpg

It says " Shooting of the scandalous film about Muhamad "

The actor says " Are you sure Muhamad had sexual relationships with a pig's head "

The director says " I don't have enough money to pay a 9 year old hooker "

http://www.article11.info/local/cache-vignettes/L346xH259/a-36-0396f.jpg
It says " Typical day of a sex jihadist "

" Epilation : use wax ? Too difficult "

" Favor scissors to remove hair "

" Prayer in the direction of " Madam " mecca " ( in the sense that mecca is a pimp )

Please tell me if these drawings and my translation are against chart and i'll remove them.

Edit : I don't know how to hide images so i've removed them and kept the links.

Zaph

For the people who want to understand what kind of hardcore anti-islam cartoons Charlie hebdo were capable of, here are two of them (warning : NSFW). These drawings might shock you.

The actor says " Are you sure Muhamad had sexual relationships with a pig's head "

" Prayer in the direction of " Madam " mecca " ( in the sense that mecca is a pimp )

Please tell me if these drawings and my translation are against chart and i'll remove them.

So? Literally nothing they could have drawn would have made this atrocity any more or less appalling. Context is irrelevant.

Also, I'm not too sure about the whole "were capable of". They're not stopping.

Mimosa97

So? Literally nothing they could have drawn would have made this atrocity any more or less appalling. Context is irrelevant.

Also, I'm not too sure about the whole "were capable of". They're not stopping.

Where did i say that ?

I'm not muslim qnd I'm French. I liked Charlie Hebdo and they made me laugh and i loved the fact that they kept their head high and were making fun of all faiths, even though they were threatened and knew they were risking their lives by doing so.

So what are you insinuating ?

I just wanted people to know that they weren't just making fun of the prophet, they were really going for it, and they had every right to do so. Some of their drawings didn't make me laugh, sometimes you would feel like they were doing too much, focusing a bit too much on islam and muslims and making the same kind of jokes. But again, that didn't offend me or anything and i still liked them. I'm devastated by what happened to them so please don't insinuate anything.

I used " capable of " because my english isn't that good and i couldn't find another word.

Xando

British MI5 boss warning about bigger attacks in europe, says there are plans from terrorist groups for something big.
2015 is gonna suck:(

ASIS

As a muslim I would like to apologize for the events that happened in Paris. This is NOT what I believe in.

Shmuppers

Where did i say that ?

I'm not muslim qnd I'm French. I liked Charlie Hebdo and they made me laugh and i loved the fact that they kept their head high and were making fun of all faiths, even though they were threatened and knew they were risking their lives by doing so.

So what are you insinuating ?

I just wanted people to know that they weren't just making fun of the prophet, they were really going for it, and they had every right to do so. Some of their drawings didn't make me laugh, sometimes you would feel like they were doing too much, focusing a bit too much on islam and muslims and making the same kind of jokes. But again, that didn't offend me or anything and i still liked them. I'm devastated by what happened to them so please don't insinuate anything.

I used " capable of " because my english isn't that good and i couldn't find another word.

Your use of the word "capable" and the general tone of your post made it sound as if you were speaking negatively of the magazine. It would be easy for someone to jump to the conclusion that you were trying to justify the acts of the terrorists by posting a bunch of offensive comics they drew, as if to dehumanize them.

English is a weird language :p You have to watch out for the emotions certain words carry.

For the people who want to understand what kind of hardcore anti-islam cartoons Charlie hebdo were capable of, here are two of them (warning : NSFW). These drawings might shock you.

How is this shocking? It's a cartoon. Who gives a fuck?

I'll tell you what I do find shocking, though. Twelve dead bodies. Satirical journalists, at that, which is a particularly offensive attack to me as someone who recognises the positive effects and importance of satire and journalism in human history.

Mimosa97

Your use of the word "capable" and the general tone of your post made it sound as if you were speaking negatively of the magazine. It would be easy for someone to jump to the conclusion that you were trying to justify the acts of the terrorists by posting a bunch of offensive comics they drew, as if to dehumanize them.

English is a weird language :p You have to watch out for the emotions certain words carry.

Yes you're right i've edited my message.

How is this shocking? It's a cartoon. Who gives a fuck?

I'll tell you what I do find shocking, though. Twelve dead bodies. Satirical journalists, at that, which is a particularly offensive attack to me as someone who recognises the positive effects and importance of satire and journalism in human history.

I've edited my message. You're getting the wrong idea. Please don't jump to conclusions so quickly.

Nephtis

I think it's important to understand and recognize that while what those guys did is horrible, and in my mind, unforgivable, the cartoonists were really pushing it.

It was their right to make as much fun of anything as they want thanks to freedom of expression, but with all the shit going on now days with the extremists out there, as terrible as this incident is, it was only a matter of time. I hope they get caught.

keuja

It has the exact same meaning in French. It was just a clumsy choice of words, cut him some slack people.

I'm going to edit my message. I'm not trying to make any point. Read my next message.

It came across as if you were showing everyone how bad these cartoon were, which is strange because I imagine most people here who looks at them is just like 'lol ive seen worse things on south park, one of the most popular and mainstream shows on tv'.

If those cartoons were making fun of, say, Scientology, or North Korea, or Stalin, would you have used the words 'these may shock you' and 'you have no idea how hardcore these guys were' and spoiler tagged the text etc?

EDIT: noted that you've stated your intentions more clearly, but I'll leave my response as it is as I found it fairly problematic.

The fact that French still haven't caught the murderers showed French doesn't have a working PRISM/Citizen Surveillance system, unlike the US, China, UK and Russia, hell basically the rest of the UN Security Council.

I think it's important to understand and recognize that while what those guys did is horrible, and in my mind, unforgivable, the cartoonists were really pushing it.

It was their right to make as much fun of anything as they want thanks to freedom of expression, but with all the shit going on now days with the extremists out there, as terrible as this incident is, it was only a matter of time. I hope they get caught.

No. Just no. They weren't pushing anything, only exercising a well-established freedom. And, a freedom with any explicit or implied restrictions is not a freedom at all.

This isn't an issue where we should give any leeway to terrorists. None.

Kurdel

Banned

This sounds to me like the same kind of victim blaming logic as "you know, it's not because of the mini skirt, but she was pushing it, only a matter of time".

Nephtis

The fact that French still haven't caught the murderers showed French doesn't have a working PRISM/Citizen Surveillance system, unlike the US, China, UK and Russia, hell basically the rest of the UN Security Council.

It took a while to catch Tsarnaev too

Mimosa97

It came across as if you were showing everyone how bad these cartoon were, which is strange because I imagine most people here who looks at them is just like 'lol ive seen worse things on south park, one of the most popular and mainstream shows on tv'.

If those cartoons were making fun of, say, Scientology, or North Korea, or Stalin, would you have used the words 'these may shock you' and 'you have no idea how hardcore these guys were' and spoiler tagged the text etc?

I'm new to this forum. I don't want my translation to be mistaken for racism or whatever so i hide the text.

As i said in a previous message, these cartoons don't shock me and i've been following their work for years. But i know they might shock some people and on american forums people put " NSFW " warnings even for soft-erotic images so i did the same.

If i was on a french forum i would have just posted the pictures and a comment like " lol " and that's it.

Again you're jumping too conclusions way too quickly.

_DrMario_

I'm not seeing what's so "important to understand" in your post. Who cares if they were "pushing it".

How realistic is it that these two were trained survival? Was the woods thing planned? So many questions. I hope they get these fuckers soon.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon

No, fuck that.

Majorzero

Neo Member
Every time an incident like this occurs my heart sinks. I just hope people remember that most Muslims are just as angry and upset as you guys are, and I hope we remember that these extremists want us to be divided. Let’s make sure that doesn't happen.

P.S I do get offended/hurt by some of the drawings. Which everyone has a right to do, but that doesn't mean you should kill/attack someone over it. I just hope we Muslims start to react in a more rational calm manner to these things.

Shmuppers

How realistic is it that these two were trained survival? Was the woods thing planned? So many questions. I hope they get these fuckers soon.

No amount of survival training can prepare you for being pursued by most of the French police force. They won't escape.

Abounder

Banned
...but with all the shit going on now days with the extremists out there, as terrible as this incident is, it was only a matter of time. I hope they get caught.

Charlie Hebdo has been attacked by radical Muslims before this incident via firebombing in 2011, and they mock everybody and all religions

Skyzard

Banned
Do you think they were wrong to print those cartoons? Answer the question, please.

I thought I answered it.

New York Times and Boston Globe won't even print the images while reporting on this incident because they claim the images have no purpose other than to insult.
Even when they're relevant to this story.

I thought I answered it.

New York Times and Boston Globe won't even print the images while reporting on this incident because they claim the images have no purpose other than to insult.

Even when they're relevant to this story.
That's not what they claim

No amount of survival training can prepare you for being pursued by most of the French police force. They won't escape.

Don't the helicopters have heat seaking vision to find people hiding? I know if they're in a cave or under some shelter it won't help, but eventually they will have to move position to get more supplies.

From their movements after the incident, I don't think they planned this route out. I don't think they expected to get away - if they had, they certainly wouldn't have gone and got out the car to kill the policeman, driven up a motorway and then back round the other way etc. Maybe they had a 'safehouse' in mind though in case they did escape alive - but it definitely wouldn't have been a safehouse in a forest near Paris, where it would just be a matter of time before they were caught.

How do we know for sure that they're in the forest? The police must have some more info than they're releasing...

Do I think they were wrong to spew hatred and heavily offend a billion people?

Is that really surprising?

Satire does not equal hatred. These artists have drawn hundreds, if not thousands, of drawings over the years. I'm sure they've offended everyone imaginable at this point.

If anyone is offended by drawings, then they should rally and create a competing magazine that gives a voice to their dissent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom